PDA

View Full Version : bumper question

yourBFHD
03-30-2005, 07:05 PM
What will happen if I use the bumper from my old minimag on my x-valve with level-10...it wore right through the bumper I have on there now, and I don't have time to wait for a replacement. The only reason I am concerned is because they are made of two entirely different materials.

D-Block
03-30-2005, 07:34 PM
I've heard the blue ones can be used as a good temporary replacement bumper. I personally use an old rubber clock motor peice it seems to work fine.

93civiccpe
03-31-2005, 12:02 AM
The clear lvl10 bumpers are softer for the higher rate of fire that the x-valve is capable of. If you use the blue/green ones as a replacement then that's fine, it just isn't going to absorb the shock as well so you should probably only do that as a temporary thing. usually that clear bumper should last you a good year according to AGD, but I'd buy a handfew to be safe. (Using the wrong lubricants can eat those up...)

Dayspring
03-31-2005, 09:38 AM
What do lubricants have to do with bumper wear? :rolleyes:

purple
03-31-2005, 11:30 AM
my buddy runs blue bumpers in all of his mags: classic, emag, rt custom and the MAJOR difference is that they make the things INSANELY reactive. i mean his mags are so bouncy, but they do increase kick a tad. i just ordered like 4 of them for my mags, since the clear ones tend to chew up easier, the blue ones are more durable.

purple

Eatem Alive
03-31-2005, 12:48 PM
the clear ones will last a very long time if you glue them down.

PumpPlayer
03-31-2005, 01:17 PM
What do lubricants have to do with bumper wear? :rolleyes:

Depending upon the type of rubber that is used, certainl lubricants will degrade them. Using a light-oil based lubricant in paintball markers WILL ruin your seals, not just the bumper. Ever wonder why carbuerators use paper and cork gaskets? Because gasoline dissolves rubber. Of course, it depends on the type and I doubt anyone is using gasoline in their markers.

WD-40 will decrease the life of your seals, though it is nowhere near as harmful as lighter oils. For best results, you should always be using a synthetic-based lubricant with as few detergents as possible (gold cup, for example). If you use a light-oil based lubricant (WD-40, many spray lubricants, cleaners or removers), it'll eat your seals. If you use a lubricant with too many detergents in it (gun oil), you will tend to collect suspended matter in your lubricant which will decrease its effectiveness over time.

Synthetic lubricants are best for your paintball marker. Silicone lubricants, for example. Gold Cup is one example. In a pinch, you can use a low-viscocity, pure, heavy oil such as sewing machine oil or musical instrument slide/valve oil (they're not all the same, so be careful here), but know that it's low adhesive properties are going to necessetate replacement as soon as possible. I wouldn't use WD-40 unless I had to as it will break down your seals and rubber components such as bumpers over time.

Gold Cup is inexpensive, high quality and good for your marker, 'mag or otherwise. There's no reason not to have a bottle of it at all times.

Dayspring
03-31-2005, 01:38 PM
I'm not questioning the use of oil in a marker. I'm wondering why he says that has ANYTHING to do with bumper wear. You don't lube your bumper!

The bumper wear on the level 10 is caused by the bolt movement itself. The inner bevel as well as the bumper moving up and down the power tube shaft- coupled with the softer material is what causes it. It has nothing to do with lubrication.

jackbauer
03-31-2005, 02:00 PM
when you clean you marker, there is always oil that gets outside the power tube and out of the valve. meaning getting on the bolt, spring, and bumper.

alooney11
03-31-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm not questioning the use of oil in a marker. I'm wondering why he says that has ANYTHING to do with bumper wear. You don't lube your bumper!

The bumper wear on the level 10 is caused by the bolt movement itself. The inner bevel as well as the bumper moving up and down the power tube shaft- coupled with the softer material is what causes it. It has nothing to do with lubrication.

I dont know about you but when i take my mag apart there is oil all over the bumper, and i dont oil the bumper.

93civiccpe
03-31-2005, 03:12 PM
Dayspring will always question anything I say. I tried pming him but whatever. When you lube parts of a mag, especially the powertube, you are supposed to fire it a bunch without a barrel (because your gun will move that oil through it and shoot it out, and you don't want that in your barrel). It is quite common for that bumper to get some lubricant on it. If you use the wrong kind of lubricant it will eat up rubber products quick. That was my point. Thanks for always questioning everything i saw dayspring.