PDA

View Full Version : New to mags, leaking

Breeze2782
03-30-2005, 08:55 PM
I just bought a used mag, it has a x-valve and lvl 10. There is a small leak from the bolt, I currently have no shims and the smallest carrier and the red spring. That is where the leak was the smallest. I tried 1 2 and 3 shims and the next size up carrier but the leak was even worse. The local store went and oiled and went through the on/off and played with the bolt for a while (but there not a mag store, they like cockers) any ideas would help

Paintmanmike
03-31-2005, 04:00 PM
There's a pretty good troubleshooting guide for leaks in the Owner's Manual (available free on-line) along with the Official Level 10 Problem thread above. Basically it sounds like something is wrong beside Level 10 as you generally do not need to use the smallest carrier unless the o-ring has 6 months to a year of use.

When you pull the trigger and hold it does the leak stop? If not the problem might be the on-off valve instead of the bolt. You always need to do this simple check on leaks down the barrel first. If this passes then the on-off is good, if not then its bad an no amount of changing the carrier will fix it. That is what is tipping me off about this, a new o-ring usually starts with the 2 line carrier and works down to the zero over several months if not a year of play.

If the on-off is bad then you need to replace all those o-rings and spacers in it. If not then we need to look at the o-ring and carrier next but first things first.

Breeze2782
04-01-2005, 04:03 PM
thanks I have played with it some more after reading more threads , with a slow connection it takes a long time. I now can get the leak to stop but on for a min. then it starts to leak again then I take a couple shoots and it stops again. I got a new carrier o-ring and went the the 1.5 carrier with no shims and the red spring.

athomas
04-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Sounds like the new carrrier o-ring is a little more snug.

Check your sear tip. If it is worn, it will allow the bolt to sit farther forward. This could possibly expose the vent hole and allow the bolt to leak while at rest no matter what carrier you use. The only solution to this problem is a new sear assembly.

Breeze2782
04-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks I bought a ULT kit and some new o-rings and went through it again I sealed the leak thanks for the help