PDA

View Full Version : how does a on off work ? need help plz

Soopa Villain17
03-31-2005, 06:30 PM
ok today i got a shoktek on/off in the mail, its the dovetail kind , but im not sure if it works properly or anything , there is a screw that comes out of the back with the st logo on it , what does it do ?and also the threads on both my tank and inside the on/off r perfect, but when i screw my tank in it doesnt go all the way in, there is still a lil bit of thread sticking out, o0k well heres what i think , you screw the tank in and u turn the screw and that presses the pin and gasses up the gun and when u unscrew it it lets off the pin degasses the gun, but when i turn the screw the pin thingy doesnt work , i dont have a macro fitting so im not able to test it yet so any help would be great

warbeak2099
03-31-2005, 06:44 PM
What kind of tank/reg do you have?

Soopa Villain17
03-31-2005, 06:52 PM
pmi

warbeak2099
03-31-2005, 07:14 PM
I was thinking maybe you have a reg with long threads. But pmi's are pretty standard size. Take it into a shop, something might be wrong with the on/off.

RRfireblade
03-31-2005, 07:50 PM
I believe it's the Tank....kinda.

I've had quite a few PMIs that have a slightly oversized O.D. on the end of the reg where the o-ring sits. On certain ASA'a it won't fit in past the o-ring sealing surface inside the ASA.Try another tank, any tank(CO2 even) , and see if it will thread all the way and you'll have your answer.

If so, you can very lightly, sand the very outer edge of the tank reg(outside of the o-ring groove) and bring down that O.D. till it fits without causing harm to the tank.Be CAREFULL and go slow or have someone you feel comfortable with do it for you.

OR....

Get another ASA and take your chances...

OR...

Get another Tank. ;)

Soopa Villain17
04-01-2005, 09:16 AM
ok well i took my pmi 20oz and screwed it in and it went in perfect , but it has a smart parts valve on it :cry: , i compared the threads and the hpa tank just has more thread , im pretty sure it will be fine

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 09:19 AM
ok well i took my pmi 20oz and screwed it in and it went in perfect , but it has a smart parts valve on it :cry: , i compared the threads and the hpa tank just has more thread , im pretty sure it will be fine

Hey.. umm, when your pretty sure something will work when dealing with HPA, do us all a favor and test it far away from us. :D

RRfireblade
04-01-2005, 09:26 AM

"More thread" is not the reason it won't screw in all the way, TRUST ME PLEASE.

Not screwing is 'why' the ASA won't open the tank vavle,DO NOT do anything to allow it to open the tank vavle if the tank is not bottomed out in the ASA.

Soopa Villain17
04-01-2005, 09:34 AM
ok so should i give the kid back his on/off and try to get a new one ?

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Never use something involving HPA that does not look or feel right. Few people truly conceive what 3000PSI can do in damage.

Soopa Villain17
04-01-2005, 09:44 AM
so u guys r saying that the 3000 psi will like strip the threads in the on/off and shoot off and kill people ? ill just send it back and try to find a place where i can buy a new one , any ideas ?

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 09:52 AM
so u guys r saying that the 3000 psi will like strip the threads in the on/off and shoot off and kill people ? ill just send it back and try to find a place where i can buy a new one , any ideas ?

Will? Not necessarily

Could - YES, resoundingly yes... And thats a good plan, though as RRFireblade stated it may be an issue with teh PMI tank and some light sanding would alleviate it. Not sure on where I personally stand on that, but he is far more of an expert than I am.

RRfireblade
04-01-2005, 10:19 AM
And thats a good plan, though as RRFireblade stated it may be an issue with teh PMI tank and some light sanding would alleviate it. Not sure on where I personally stand on that, but he is far more of an expert than I am.

Well I'm not crazy about that either but if done correctly is not a safety issue. PMI seems to be a little in the + on that spec and if you get an ASA that's not a little on the loose side, that's what you get.

If there are any other means to rectify the situation, I would suggest doing that prior to any work to the Reg. IE, Get another ASA and see if it fits, it will in many others.

Soopa Villain17
04-01-2005, 11:17 AM
i think its the on/off i screwd the tank into my viewloader gun and it screwed right in