PDA

View Full Version : ARMY! I could use your input on an AR build

nippinout
04-01-2005, 12:28 AM
I'm interested in building an AR-15, but I am wondering how important it is to get the high end components.

As an experienced armorer, what components would you recommend I splurge on? I'm not looking to win any competitions, but something that won't fail me is the only real requirement.

Thanks!

Target Practice
04-01-2005, 01:05 AM
I'll be camping this thread. This way, I don't have to bug him with questions everyday... ;)

myangelrocks
04-01-2005, 01:50 AM
Don't buy anything Vulcan or Hesse and NEVER EVER buy anything from joken. Stick with the major companies as far as parts go. (armalite, rock river arms, and bushmaster off the top of my head). Since it's not going to be a service rifle, save some money and get better accuracy with a non-chrome lined barrel. If I were you I'd personally go with RRA parts. The fit and finish on parts is as good as, if not better than bushmaster for a lower price. You also might want to splurge a little and get a flattop receiver. Don't worry too much about the type of completed upper receiver assembly like I did my first build. There are what seems to be like an endless number of options you can choose from. (carbine to 24" barrel lengths, a4 flattops and a2 standard, floating hand guard, etc.) If you want a different option on your upper you don't need a FFL holder to purchase a new completed upper and they're only around 500-600 completely assembled. Just slap it on your lower and you're good to go. Sorry if I've trailed off a little bit, but I'm slipping into a crab leg and beer induced coma. If you have anymore questions I’ll check this thread tomorrow. Before I forget you also need to be careful of which mags you purchase as some are known to be total crap and will end up causing you a severe headache. I have a good mag bad mag list somewhere and I'll post it here for you tomorrow. I hoped this helped.

Army
04-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Personally, I prefer quality. That means DPMS, Armalite, Smith Enterprises, SoG, or Rock River Arms(all easy Google searches). Quality means that parts failure is much less likely to happen. Bushmaster quality has been hit & miss over the years, so I can't recommend them.

Chrome lining will extend the life of the barrel, and help keep it clean. Many target shooters prefer unlined barrels...but I like'em, especially for a plinker/play gun.

Real money to put up for? Barrel, lower internals, and bolt/bolt carrier. Everything else is personal preference (buttstock, free floated fore-end or standard, sights, carry handle on top...or not, grip design etc).

Okay Industries, SOG, Cooper are good magazines that the military uses.

Do you have any specific questions on building?

SoldierzHonor
04-01-2005, 12:55 PM
Im sure he'll give good advice. Another place for good advice is www.ar15.com

myangelrocks
04-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Im sure he'll give good advice. Another place for good advice is www.ar15.com

ar15.com is so so. some good info but lot's of airsoft wannabes. pre-ban.com is ALOT better.

myangelrocks
04-01-2005, 08:23 PM
http://magfaq.tripod.com/ <----------------there is all the information you'll need on mag manufacturers. Good luck on your build.

nippinout
04-04-2005, 09:56 PM
If I wanted a short barreled AR-15, should I be looking at a medium, and not a carbine, length gas system?

Army
04-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Short for you is 16", unless you have a Class III. Overall length must be 36" , even with buttstock collapsed. 20", 24" and 26" are your other choices, with 20" being normal. So those are your parameters.

However, any company making M4 barrels/uppers will have 16's. Now you have to decide if you want a flattop with or without a front sight tower. No tower means getting a gas block, which is no big thing as they work identical to a tower.

Now, you can go expensive with a piston system (which keeps carbon and powder waste out of the lower receiver), or stick with the tried and true gas tube assembly. Carbine length gas systems MAY need a heavier buffer assembly, and in fact is smarter to find one right away. This slows down the recoil impulse to the buffer tube, which in turn makes things last longer since parts aren't banging into each other.

DPMS makes a "pigtail" gas tube (as I'm sure others do too, I'm just partial to DPMS parts). The tube is coiled at the mid-section, resulting in a standard length tube in a carbine size. This also slows the recoil impulse. Combined with the heavy buffer, can make for a soft, smooth running rifle that will still cycle faster than you can pull the trigger.

nippinout
04-04-2005, 11:11 PM
I've seen references to a minimum overall rifle length of 26", but I cannot find anything on the ATF site. The search funtion on the ATF site seems to be broken also.

DPMS has a few rifles with a collapsed length of under 36" that don't appear to be LEO. :confused:

Do you have any particular type of iron sights that you like?

BTW, thanks for all of your expert help.

Destructo6
04-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Form 1: "Application to Make and Register a Firearm

27 CFR 179.11: "Meaning of Terms"

"...Firearm. (a) A shotgun having a barrel or barrels of less than 18
inches in length; (b) a weapon made from a shotgun if such weapon as
modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or
barrels of less than 18 inches in length; (c) a rifle having a barrel or
barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (d) a weapon made from a rifle
if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches
or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length; (e) any other
weapon, as defined in this subpart; (f) a machine gun; (g) a muffler or