PDA

View Full Version : ?? Marina releases Great White Shark off coast of California

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 11:17 AM
No April fools joke, just heard it on NPR

Apparently they have been raising this great white shark in a marina after it was caught in a net when it was very young. They have been raising it for like six months. They have been HAND FEEDING this shark. Well, it exhibited a hunting instict now by killing two of the other sharks in its tank... so they have decided it can hunt and released it into the wild off the coast of California.

Anyone else see this as being a potential issue?

Hexis
04-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Oh no, there might be a shark in the ocean. What ever will we do?

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 11:28 AM
they fed it by hand...

Does that not strike you as a possibility that this thing may equate humans with food

Hexis
04-01-2005, 11:45 AM
I guess you should stay out of lake Superior, it might come eat you.

Python14
04-01-2005, 11:46 AM
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 12:01 PM

You're no fun :cry:

:D

Target Practice
04-01-2005, 12:09 PM
Actually, it was at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Why would it be an issue? The Great White is an amazing animal, and it's endangered.

The Action Figure
04-01-2005, 12:12 PM
well cool

The Action Figure
04-01-2005, 12:12 PM
well cool

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 12:16 PM
Ok... so I tried to sensationalize something.. you people are no fun :D

Can noone make the stretch that feeding a predatory animal by hand may make it equate humans or human activity with food... its been an issue of some "shark site seeing" tour areas in the past where the animals have become more aggressive towards boat.

Someone... anyone...

Bah, nevermind

WickeDKlowN
04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
Oh noes, a Shark. We have plenty here in FL, and aside from the 10 or so people that get attacked a year, we're fine.

WickeDKlowN
04-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Ok... so I tried to sensationalize something.. you people are no fun :D

Can noone make the stretch that feeding a predatory animal by hand may make it equate humans or human activity with food... its been an issue of some "shark site seeing" tour areas in the past where the animals have become more aggressive towards boat.

Someone... anyone...

Bah, nevermind
So what? It's not like they like the taste of human flesh. It'll learn after a few people that humans≠food.

rkjunior303
04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
"we're gonna need a bigger boat"

WicKeD_WaYz
04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
greeaaaaattt. thats all I need more sharks in the water haha. No really though i spend my whole summer at the beach every year and ive only seen a small handful of sharks my whole life, and only 2 summers ago did I see a great white because we had like a bunch of them feeding at my local beaches for like 2 weeks before they left. They pretty much leave you alone though. Ive never known anyone to get attacked although you hear about it every so often. I read somewhere that more people die from getting attacked by deer than by sharks. lol. That would suck to die from a deer I mean climb a tree or something or maybe shoot the thing haha ok its early im done rambling.

NigelF
04-01-2005, 12:45 PM
well, if I'm up on my shark knowledge, most humans that are attacked by great whites (and most other sharks) only lose a limb. Very rarely are they actually eaten. I belive the reason had something to do with the sharks natural prey: sea lions or elephant seals or some such (cant remember which one). The sharks arent keen on he idea of a wrestling match with the potential for injury, so they swiftly tear a chunk off of whatever they're hunting, and hope it was a big enough chunk to kill or incapacitate their lunch. Then they usually swim around and wait for it to die or succumb to exhaustion, all the while they keep tearing chunks off.

Now, from underwater, the silhouette of a human could be mistaken for a seal or sea lion. So sharky swims up and takes a bite. But apparently the sharks pallete isn't refined enough to appreciate the delicate intricacies of people meat. So they move on.

But since we now have a great white out there that associates people with food, I wouldnt be surprised if we saw more attacks, but I dont think we'll see a rise in shark deaths (since we still taste bad).

Nigel F

Target Practice
04-01-2005, 01:17 PM
Oh yeah. Don't you think that one of the greatest conservatories in the world (Monterey bay) would be able to gauge how the shark is reacting to humans? They're not going to release an animal which is dangerous.

mcdkid
04-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Oh yeah. Don't you think that one of the greatest conservatories in the world (Monterey bay) would be able to gauge how the shark is reacting to humans? They're not going to release an animal which is dangerous.

so this GREAT WHITE SHARK passed to saftey exam? lol

Jeffy-CanCon
04-01-2005, 01:31 PM

Now, from underwater, the silhouette of a human could be mistaken for a seal or sea lion. So sharky swims up and takes a bite. But apparently the sharks pallete isn't refined enough to appreciate the delicate intricacies of people meat. So they move on.

But since we now have a great white out there that associates people with food, I wouldnt be surprised if we saw more attacks, but I dont think we'll see a rise in shark deaths (since we still taste bad).

Nigel F

I've heard something similar, but they specified that a human paddling a surfboard looks like a seal from underneath (to a shark). But yeah, compared to a seal humans are pretty boney, and relatively flavourless. I don't imagine the surfboards taste very good either.

hAppy
04-01-2005, 01:36 PM
:rofl:

wanna-b-ballin'
04-01-2005, 01:37 PM
so if its used to being hand-fed, and it comes up to a beach where people are swimming and playing etc.., wouldn't it be asking for a treat or begging or something?
if it were in the water next to me and begging, i know i sure as hell wouldn't give it food with my hand. would you?

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 01:42 PM
compared to a seal humans are pretty boney, and relatively flavourless. .

Do I dare ask how you have come to that conclusion. All the humans I have a...

:) ok, I don't want banned, I know theres a line here somewhere, I'll just stop there :D

Kevmaster
04-01-2005, 01:59 PM
It'll learn after a few people that humans?food.

acceptable consequences

fire1811
04-01-2005, 02:09 PM
"we're gonna need a bigger boat"

"WE'RE GOING TO GET A BIGGER BOAT RIGHT?"

Phobos
04-01-2005, 03:30 PM
Any one see that really crappy B horror movie when the guy falls into the vat at a cat food factory and get mixed in with the rest of the food, a bunch of cats eat it and develope a love for human flesh and kill people.

Jeffy-CanCon
04-01-2005, 03:43 PM
Do I dare ask how you have come to that conclusion. All the humans I have a...

:) ok, I don't want banned, I know theres a line here somewhere, I'll just stop there :D

:)

Where I come from, people eat seals. It is just about the richest, strongest tasting meat you can imagine, and not for the weak of stomach. Humans (supposedly) taste like pork.

Linkwarner
04-01-2005, 03:51 PM
So the shark knows people, maybe he associated them as friendly also, if so, I see some weird aquaman thing going on and people riding him, or even worse, Amusement park based around "THE NON-MAN EATING SHARK!!" "Go ahead little billy, feed the shark, then we can go feed the llamas!" *eyes glaze over, caught up in his little dream*

Lohman446
04-01-2005, 03:57 PM
:)

Where I come from, people eat seals. It is just about the richest, strongest tasting meat you can imagine, and not for the weak of stomach. Humans (supposedly) taste like pork.

PG13
Nothing wrong with eating people.. none of the ones I have have ever complained :p
PG13

Edit: please note that using the quote feature to reply will make this visible in the quote tag - lets not do that.

Glickman
04-01-2005, 03:59 PM
they fed it by hand...

Does that not strike you as a possibility that this thing may equate humans with food

theres never been a single instance of a shark eating a person

shark bites kill because of blood loss

we may look like seals, but we certainly dont taste like them (hmm lemme find out... ow.... nope, not good at all.) :D

slateman
04-01-2005, 04:47 PM

LMAO!!! Sooooo funny

Head knight of Ni
04-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Bah. One great white. Some of the South Florida beaches were just closed because of hundreds of sharks. We win. :tard: