PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline Prices

evildead420
04-02-2005, 09:49 AM
dude, what is going on, im not feeling the prices right now, why , why :mad: :confused: its like 2.50+ average around here in san francisco. im getting way bitter about this. tell me why does it have to be so high, there should be a price cap. screw oil refineries, we need a new type of gas.

whats your average price in your area. this is wack. i better get a raise soon if gas is going to be affordable. all i see now is its still going up.

kevdupuis
04-02-2005, 11:14 AM
.85 -.88 cents a liter.

govnamac
04-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Try living in Europe where the oil industry isn't subsidized by the government as much as it is here. What are they paying, around $5 a gallon?

spyderkiller
04-02-2005, 12:14 PM
I agree that the prices here aren't as bad as they could be, especially compared to Europe. However, I sure am feeling it in the wallet. As a college student only working part-time, I can't afford to spend that much on gas in a week. I have other things, such as tuition and books to pay for. I'm soon going to be stranded on campus with no gas if these prices continue.

BlackVCG
04-02-2005, 12:20 PM
More like $6.50 a gallon.

Yet, their way of life is drastically different than ours so it's not an adequate comparison.

I would highly recommend looking into a diesel powered vehicle. Although diesel prices currently are higher than regular unleaded in most places, in the future you'll be more likely able to access bio-diesel than an alternative to gasoline for your gas-powered car.

The amount of modification to a diesel vehicle is next to none to run bio-diesel. The only major modification is changing all of the rubber fuel lines on vehicles older than 86. Other than that, it's just a matter of keeping some anti-gel in the fuel during the winter.

Muzikman
04-02-2005, 12:28 PM
There are a few problems.

A) The US lost two refineries in the south during the hurricanes last fall. They are now just getting back online.

B) There are too many different types of gas. A lot of states have passed laws that they require certain types of additives and such in the gas. This means it takes longer to make gas and it's harder to transport because all the pipe lines have to be emptied to change the gas types.

C) China is buying all the oil which is raising the cost of oil and ultimatly gas.

evildead420
04-02-2005, 01:01 PM
yea, for my tacoma i get about 19 miles a gal and i have to drive 104 miles a day home to work to home again. its not cool for me, i really miss the 1.70 that we did have a few months back.

yea, someone told me yesterday about europes price per gallon. no wonder they do more public transportation, ride bikes, and drive little tiny cars. :tard:

other then that, us drivers/consumers arent really complaining and i think its stupid that we dont speak up about it. REPENT!! :argh:

tony3
04-02-2005, 01:22 PM
Consider selling your truck and getting something with great fuel efficency? Right now I am getting 12 mpg on my explorer, then again I don't complain much because I don't drive that much. Only Like 10 or so miles a day.

mcveighr
04-02-2005, 01:29 PM
.929 for diesel here.

I'm hoping it will drop back down to .699 in the summer.

18mi/gal

ICP
04-02-2005, 01:33 PM
just went up to 2.18 here yesterday. My ranger gets about 26mpg, wich is pretty good for a 92. But it's def. time to break out the motorcycle and start riding that. A lot of the gas prices has to do with china buying more than in the past. Because so much is being used because everyone is sending there business over there to be produced.

evildead420
04-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Consider selling your truck and getting something with great fuel efficency? Right now I am getting 12 mpg on my explorer, then again I don't complain much because I don't drive that much. Only Like 10 or so miles a day.

no way, i love my truck, i bought that straight up. i can never think to sell it now. im married to it.

our state is wack i think. :tard:

on the off topic side, the new bay bridge span is costing our state 400,000 a day. the total costs right now for the new bridge is 6.8 billion . wtf? im thinking of moving already. :cuss:

Bear_Claw
04-02-2005, 01:58 PM
My truck get 17mpg on diesel and now only drives maybe 400kms a month But then again its a 1994 F250 with a HUGE 7.3L (444ci) Turbo diesel so 17mpg seems pretty good for that. No milage on it for the last month and a half due to a toasted trans and thoughts of selling it (not happening no more i just gona keep on trucking).

Now my car thats a differant story. Shes a 1987 VW Golf Diesel and gets a AMAZING 45-50mpg and has driven last month alone 3000kms. Pluse i average about half a tank of fuel FREE from work every month. She can drive almost 800kms on one tank of fuel and only costs $30CDN to fill it. Diesel here is standing a 82.9/liter.

Am i feeling the fuel prices INDEFINATLY think id be driving a 87 VW if i could afford to run my Truck lol.

WicKeD_WaYz
04-02-2005, 02:05 PM
I just paid 2.49 last night. That was the cheapest I could find.

fire1811
04-02-2005, 03:38 PM
yesterday it was 2.14 today its 2.32 for the cheap stuff.

I also hear that its supposed to go up to around 100-105$ a barrel this summer which from what they tell me is around $5 a gallon.
thats crazy.

Linkwarner
04-02-2005, 03:43 PM
2.19 last night for both regular and premium! :rolleyes: Makes me happy I have a 98 chevy metro, 45 mpg!! 3 cylender, 1.0 liter drives around 40 miles per day.

NJPaint
04-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't know why we don't have a gas tax. Make it about $4 a gallon. If Bush wants to do something constructive it should be that. It will make a nice connection with the eco/green side. I don't understand how people can complain about gas prices after they bought a car that isn't "fuel efficient" for their budget. Its part of the package, you buy a gas guzzler, alright by me, but you gotta pay for gas and shouldn't complain about it since you knew you would have to pay the gas prices already.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/27/opinion/27friedman.html?

By doing nothing to lower U.S. oil consumption, we are financing both sides in the war on terrorism and strengthening the worst governments in the world. That is, we are financing the U.S. military with our tax dollars and we are financing the jihadists - and the Saudi, Sudanese and Iranian mosques and charities that support them - through our gasoline purchases. The oil boom is also entrenching the autocrats in Russia and Venezuela, which is becoming Castro's Cuba with oil. By doing nothing to reduce U.S. oil consumption we are also setting up a global competition with China for energy resources, including right on our doorstep in Canada and Venezuela. Don't kid yourself: China's foreign policy today is very simple - holding on to Taiwan and looking for oil.

Finally, by doing nothing to reduce U.S. oil consumption we are only hastening the climate change crisis, and the Bush officials who scoff at the science around this should hang their heads in shame. And it is only going to get worse the longer we do nothing. Wired magazine did an excellent piece in its April issue about hybrid cars, which get 40 to 50 miles to the gallon with very low emissions. One paragraph jumped out at me: "Right now, there are about 800 million cars in active use. By 2050, as cars become ubiquitous in China and India, it'll be 3.25 billion. That increase represents ... an almost unimaginable threat to our environment. Quadruple the cars means quadruple the carbon dioxide emissions - unless cleaner, less gas-hungry vehicles become the norm."

All the elements of what I like to call a geo-green strategy are known:

We need a gasoline tax that would keep pump prices fixed at $4 a gallon, even if crude oil prices go down. At $4 a gallon (premium gasoline averages about $6 a gallon in Europe), we could change the car-buying habits of a large segment of the U.S. public, which would make it profitable for the car companies to convert more of their fleets to hybrid or ethanol engines, which over time could sharply reduce our oil consumption.

Will Wood
04-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Wow, I'm glad (Well not really, but you get the idea..) I totaled my car and don't have to deal with these prices!

... *wishes he had a car.. Heck I'd pay double that in gas if I had a car..*

noahyay
04-02-2005, 04:18 PM
in my opinion its these americans wanting their SUV's and huge silverados they dont even need

i live in palo alto which is like the second most expensive place to live in the US so it bugs me when i see people driving hummers around and stuff even though they can afford it, or uptight at-home moms with escaldes and tahoes when they dont even go off roading, the only place they ever go is lake tahoe and u dont even need 4 weel drive there, let alone even 200 horsepower

get a moped that gets 108 mpg or at least a station wagon that gets 25 mpg

im all for a gas tax and minimum mpg limits but if they institute them then people will make a fuss

devildog
04-02-2005, 04:30 PM
you guys sound like a bunch of tree hugging hippies

Wheelman
04-02-2005, 04:45 PM
I drive a Pathfinder because I need the space and I use the 4wd quite regularly because I live in Maine and it's almost a necessity in the winter so don't preach at me about not needing my suv :mad: Prices were around 2.25 for the cheap stuff the other day when I checked so I can imagine what it is now. What gets me is that it wouldn't be to bad exept that almost 40%of that cost is State Tax, and anther 20% for Fedral. And the state tax is going up again in july. God I so friggin' hate Maine, second highest taxed state and one of the lowest paid, why am I still here :mad:

undescriptive
04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
try living in the UK

need premium gas?

that'll be just under $10 a gallon....

standard unleaded - $8.50 a gallon....

sucks to be british!

CaptaiN_JacK
04-02-2005, 04:48 PM
screw oil refineries, we need a new type of gas.

...and it's called Ethanol! Brought to you by your local (or not local) farmers of the US of A, and only the US of A.

It's $2.00 avg. in southern MN, so I'm not complaining (too much).

My advice to you: Stop driving! you live in san-fran-sisco for god's sake! ride a bike!

NJPaint
04-02-2005, 04:50 PM
you guys sound like a bunch of tree hugging hippies

You are calling a right wing Conservative a "tree hugging hippy" and you are calling Tom Freidman a "tree hugging hippy". You sir need to get your head out of the ground wake up. You don't have to be a hippy to want to not destroy the earth, last time I checked, you lived here too.

You want to buy an H2 or other SUV, I couldn't care less. But stop your whining when you have to pay for elevated gas prices. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place, Capitalism's a *****, deal with it or leave.

CaptaiN_JacK
04-02-2005, 04:50 PM
you guys sound like a bunch of realists

it's true!

Bear_Claw
04-02-2005, 05:43 PM
Last i checked Even my big old diesel is more enviro friendly than most gassers. Now if Bio Diesel were affordable here (its around $0.20/liter more) id run that and it end up being better for the enviroment than a blody honda civic.

So dont tell me not to complain about fuel because i drive what it do. I do give a hoot out the earth but if i we cant afford to live what the hell good is it.

I aint some overpaid desk joky that can afford the new thec fancy cars. im the bread and butter line busting my butt to fix em. Forgive me if i offend you for being upset that i no longer can afford to drive the vehical i have saved for since i was 13.

And what the (*&^(* you want to tax fuel for are you soo green eyed to relize that the more it costs for fuel the more it costs for EVERY THING. Remeber this saying "EVERYTHING YOU BOUGHT A TRUCK BROUGHT" and the truck needs fuel. Trucks dont run for free so they have to make a few $$ in order to do that they must charger more than the costs of fuel maintanece and living. Fuel IS the LARGEST cost to a trucker increasing that makes more cost for the good you want.

You want to have a REALISTIC way to help the enviroment push for more diesel vehicals and BIO DIESEL fuel. Heck europs WAY ahead in that regards.

END RANT

PyRo
04-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Buying a bike is becomming a more viable option now :)

evildead420
04-02-2005, 07:51 PM
don't understand how people can complain about gas prices after they bought a car that isn't "fuel efficient" for their budget. Its part of the package, you buy a gas guzzler, alright by me, but you gotta pay for gas and shouldn't complain about it since you knew you would have to pay the gas prices already.

well, when i bought my truck, new, they give you an annual gas usage on the big sticker on the window and it said my annual gate usage would be 1300+ a year, not so bad, im going double or more now. :tard:

My advice to you: Stop driving! you live in san-fran-sisco for god's sake! ride a bike!

its not so easy. i live south of the city, my work is about 50 miles one way. and for my job/title (senior video editor & sound supervisor), they really need me, so riding a bike 50 miles away and 50 miles back would be crazy and lame and not workable.

Glickman
04-02-2005, 08:29 PM
2.80 per gallon
4 mpg

we boaters aint got it easy either.

Spencer
04-02-2005, 08:37 PM
I think its about 2.10 here.. I am looking into a truck now and the only thing I WANT is a V-8 F-150 35" tires and a 7" lift it should be around 12 mpg.

mcveighr
04-02-2005, 10:16 PM
I drive a Pathfinder because I need the space and I use the 4wd quite regularly because I live in Maine and it's almost a necessity in the winter so don't preach at me about not needing my suv

hahaha, i drive pretty well everyday and used 4wd twice this winter, in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia.

My truck pulls trailers and heavy loads, so i figure its justified. Its about time to take out the Yamaha though.

I completly agree on the dont need large vehicles dont buy large vehicles idea. And am in favour of gas taxes and biodiesel.

devildog
04-02-2005, 11:30 PM
You are calling a right wing Conservative a "tree hugging hippy" and you are calling Tom Freidman a "tree hugging hippy". You sir need to get your head out of the ground wake up. You don't have to be a hippy to want to not destroy the earth, last time I checked, you lived here too.

You want to buy an H2 or other SUV, I couldn't care less. But stop your whining when you have to pay for elevated gas prices. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't have bought it in the first place, Capitalism's a *****, deal with it or leave.

im not the one complaining about gas prices, i dont really care. i drive a 78 chevy cheyenne with a 454 under the hood, i new i was gonna pay alot for gas. im just saying everyone in this post sounds like a bunch of wining women, this is not the first time gas was this expensive, deal with it, itll go back down.

ICP
04-02-2005, 11:41 PM
actually, yes it is the first time gas has been this expensive. And I don't think anyone is whining, just making coversation. That's what Friendly corner is for. ;)

Alpha
04-02-2005, 11:46 PM
How can gas prices be high? I thought we were stealing oil from iraq? :confused:

BlackVCG
04-03-2005, 12:42 AM
I remember when I was paying 99 cents/gal. for regular unleaded back in high school...

Wheelman
04-03-2005, 12:53 AM
I remember when I was paying 99 cents/gal. for regular unleaded back in high school...

lol I remember when regular hit 1.10 and I thought that was nuts.

AcemanPB
04-03-2005, 12:56 AM

Cameo
04-03-2005, 04:35 AM
American's are silly they cry and moan about paying over 2 bucks for a gallon of gas but will spend $4 plus for apack of cigarettes or even worse $2 for a 20 oz bottle of water.. Stop being a pansy and car pool or use alternative transportation.
:clap:

wes
04-03-2005, 11:15 AM
It varies from $1.99 at the cheapest to $2.20 at the most

rehme
04-03-2005, 03:12 PM
what can you expect with a oil man as president

WicKeD_WaYz
04-03-2005, 03:25 PM
arent gas prices just going to keep going up? Someone explained to me it was kind of like a bell curve as far as gas prices and availability goes, we've already reached the top of the curve and its all downhill from here. In a couple decades we will probably need a new and more efficient fuel type anyway so maybe this is just the beginning of really high prices before we find a new, more efficient, fuel.

amrani
04-03-2005, 03:32 PM
That more efficient and lower cost fuel is here. For those of you who dont know, Hydrogen is THE most abundant element in the universe.

Well, if Mr. Bush would hold up to his agreement to fund this fancy thing going on at CAT right now called the FUEL CELL then maybe we would be even closer to never needing oil again.

Now dont try telling me that fuel cells are not as cost efficient as gasoline motors. My dad is one of the head hanchos around the fuel cell program at CAT and i know quite a bit about it. It would cost the same amount to take water, split it into hydrogen (used to power the fuel cell) and oxygen ( we need this to live....) and then use the hydrogen and some of the oxygen to power the fuel cell. This does a few things for us. The by product is water, which can be used for power later....... and oxygen, which we need to live....

seriously think about it, the future is in fuel cells, and once the world is ready to accept this, catipiller will become one of the richest companies in the world, the company and its CEO possibly passing Bill Gates and Microsoft.

fire1811
04-03-2005, 03:43 PM
That more efficient and lower cost fuel is here. For those of you who dont know, Hydrogen is THE most abundant element in the universe.

Well, if Mr. Bush would hold up to his agreement to fund this fancy thing going on at CAT right now called the FUEL CELL then maybe we would be even closer to never needing oil again.

Now dont try telling me that fuel cells are not as cost efficient as gasoline motors. My dad is one of the head hanchos around the fuel cell program at CAT and i know quite a bit about it. It would cost the same amount to take water, split it into hydrogen (used to power the fuel cell) and oxygen ( we need this to live....) and then use the hydrogen and some of the oxygen to power the fuel cell. This does a few things for us. The by product is water, which can be used for power later....... and oxygen, which we need to live....

seriously think about it, the future is in fuel cells, and once the world is ready to accept this, catipiller will become one of the richest companies in the world, the company and its CEO possibly passing Bill Gates and Microsoft.

you dont understand that the more powerful people are not going to let this happen.
It would effect there profits.

WicKeD_WaYz
04-03-2005, 05:53 PM
But sooner or later something has to happen since the oil supplies will probably diminish to close to nothing in our lifetime.

amrani
04-03-2005, 07:08 PM
i have a feeling that fuel cells will be replacing gasoline engines some time in my (a 15 year old) lifetime. Acutally, i hope that it is done sooner than later as it will have such a benefit on our environment and general life

Vex
04-05-2005, 12:52 AM

I remember $.75/gallon in high school (for cheap Arco gas)--the good stuff was $.85/gallon :)

Anway, it's up to $2.21 here in R-Can-Saw--totally ridiculous :mad:

AcemanPB
04-05-2005, 01:08 AM
Fuel cells, yeah right. Gasoline is just too easy. You pump the stuff straight out of the ground and all the energy is already there, stored in the Hydrogen-Carbon bonds. Even if everything went to fuel cells in the near future most of the energy used to store the hydrogen would come from electricty produced by plants burning fossil fuels. I hate to be the pessimist, but I'm sure we won't find and use an alternative to fossil fuels until we absolutely have to(read - we run out).

Lohman446
04-05-2005, 07:03 AM

A wonderful viewpoint from an engineering standpoint. It takes into account actual costs of doing it. Does it take into account the cost of replacing the already existing infastructure built around gasoline? What about the families that cannot afford a jump in technology - those driving old cars now because they cannot afford a new one. Are we going to run dual infastructures until everyone (or 95% of the people) have upgraded or is the government going to pay for these people to upgrade? We already know that transporation is vital to American lifestyle and there is not mass transporation comparable to Europe. Yes, something needs to be done, but we need to take into consideration the real world problems associated wtih each course of action to make the best possible decision

I agree something needs to be done, to me it would be to find a way that works with what we have now, at least to some degree of backward compatability. Corn can be used for energy - ethanol?? and will work in many of the vehicles already on the road.

bjjb99
04-05-2005, 08:39 AM

A sample article about an existing fuel cell vehicle:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/09/kiarsquos_new_s.html

This Kia Sportage has a 152 liter H2 tank and can go about 180 miles between fills. That's about 4.48 miles per gallon of H2. Based on various sources on the net, the current cost of H2 fuel is between $3.00 and $8.00 per gallon. The government goal for H2 fuel is around $1.50 to $2.00 per gallon, depending on who you ask.

So currently, you've got a car that gets about 4.48 miles per gallon using H2 fuel that costs (low end) $3.00 per gallon. That's about $0.67 per mile. Even using the low end of the government goal for H2 fuel prices, you're still looking at around $0.33 per mile.

The same Kia Sportage with a gasoline engine is rated at around 19 miles per gallon. Current gas prices are at around $2.30 per gallon. That's about $0.12 per mile. My truck currently costs around $0.17 per mile in fuel to operate.

Insurance companies claim that the average driver covers around 12000 miles per year. The H2 powered Kia Sportage would have a fuel cost of around $8000 per year (current low end price, low end of government goal would put the cost around $4000 per year). The gasoline powered Kia Sportage would have a fuel cost of around $1440 per year.

I don't have between $2500 and $6500 extra per year to spend on fuel. Perhaps if the US government gave me a $5000 per year tax break for using a fuel cell vehicle I'd consider making the switch.

It is not currently cost-effective for the average US consumer to own and operate an H2 powered fuel cell vehicle. Whenever gas prices rise to around $5.00 to $6.00 per gallon in the US and H2 fuel drops to around $1.50 per gallon, people will start taking a much harder look at H2 fuel cell vehicles as an alternative mode of transportation. I think Europe will likely see H2 fuel cell vehicles in greater numbers before the US does.

BJJB

Lohman446
04-05-2005, 09:15 AM
That's about 4.48 miles per gallon of H2. Based on various sources on the net, the current cost of H2 fuel is between $3.00 and $8.00 per gallon.

You bring up interesting points - and this one is alarming. Remember bigger fuel tank = more weight when full = less MPG due to weight. So you are either going to have to have huge fuel tanks, or refuel about 3 times more than you do. Getting 5 MPG, when many "economy" car fuel tanks are about 12 gallons, is not going to be acceptable to many Americans. To me it would mean refueling at least once a day, and quite often two or three times.

tool
04-05-2005, 09:55 AM
Last time I checked it was 99.9/liter, so would that put us at ~3.80/gallon? Never been too good with numbers so I could be wrong.

grw4w34
04-05-2005, 12:14 PM
On the way back from LA on Sunday we saw some places in Ventura at 2.70 for the cheap stuff.

In SLO its around 2.60 or so.

deadeye9
04-05-2005, 12:38 PM
Do what I do:

Keep your eyes closed when you're filling up the gas tank.

bjjb99
04-05-2005, 02:09 PM
When gas prices hit around $1.86 a gallon, I learned that the pumps in the local area all cut off automatically when $50.00 is reached. I now have the joy of swiping my credit card through the pump twice per fill up. ;)

BJJB

RoadDawg
04-06-2005, 08:35 PM
I just paid 2.49 last night. That was the cheapest I could find.

Just off of Harbor Blvd and the 91 there is a Shell station that has unleaded for $2.35/gallon.

I've seen some stations around here hovering at 2.59+ (even some Arco stations)

purple
04-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I drive a mazda protege and get around 32 MPG on the highway, ma drives a car that gets 32 mpg as well. It doesnt hurt so bad for me, but i understand everyone's complaint that tanking up your jeep, etc. costs like 40-60 bucks. I was looking at a Toyota prius, and the main issue i see with hybrid cars is that your driving style GREATLY affects milage. The little diesel VW's are nice too, but they cost twice as much as my mazda.
I think fuel cells are a good idea, as well as hybrid cars. my main concern about hydrogen is the flammibility/explosiveness of it. First of all filling COULD be a dangerous/leaky process. another thing is making sure it wont make every car turn into a ball of fire in a crash.

Purple

edit: Texas is the land of the big truck, but it doesnt bother me, i can zip around those big ole tanks so easy with my little land-missile. The only car i've driven that handles better is a mini cooper.

SIGSays
04-07-2005, 07:12 PM
i ended up paying $50 for a tank of gas for my 2k3 4runner...

amrani
04-07-2005, 07:21 PM
A sample article about an existing fuel cell vehicle:

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/09/kiarsquos_new_s.html

This Kia Sportage has a 152 liter H2 tank and can go about 180 miles between fills. That's about 4.48 miles per gallon of H2. Based on various sources on the net, the current cost of H2 fuel is between $3.00 and $8.00 per gallon. The government goal for H2 fuel is around $1.50 to $2.00 per gallon, depending on who you ask.

So currently, you've got a car that gets about 4.48 miles per gallon using H2 fuel that costs (low end) $3.00 per gallon. That's about $0.67 per mile. Even using the low end of the government goal for H2 fuel prices, you're still looking at around $0.33 per mile.

The same Kia Sportage with a gasoline engine is rated at around 19 miles per gallon. Current gas prices are at around $2.30 per gallon. That's about $0.12 per mile. My truck currently costs around $0.17 per mile in fuel to operate.

Insurance companies claim that the average driver covers around 12000 miles per year. The H2 powered Kia Sportage would have a fuel cost of around $8000 per year (current low end price, low end of government goal would put the cost around $4000 per year). The gasoline powered Kia Sportage would have a fuel cost of around $1440 per year.

I don't have between $2500 and $6500 extra per year to spend on fuel. Perhaps if the US government gave me a $5000 per year tax break for using a fuel cell vehicle I'd consider making the switch.

It is not currently cost-effective for the average US consumer to own and operate an H2 powered fuel cell vehicle. Whenever gas prices rise to around $5.00 to $6.00 per gallon in the US and H2 fuel drops to around $1.50 per gallon, people will start taking a much harder look at H2 fuel cell vehicles as an alternative mode of transportation. I think Europe will likely see H2 fuel cell vehicles in greater numbers before the US does.

BJJB

you, my friend, are forgetting a very importane point. The government suppliments gas prices, that needs to be added into your equation of cost. Also, once more widespread, prices will drop. See if you can research how much gas prices were when gasoline engines wer new. then adjust that for inflation. studies and reasearch show that average prices have dropped, even though it seems high.

For Those Of You To Lazy To Do Your Own Research. (http://www.ghg.net/stuart/gasprice/gasprice.html)

and fuel cells use liquid/slush hydrogen. its still flamable, but not as much as in a gassous form. dont forget, how does a gasoline engine run............ohh, yea thats right, it IGNITES THE FUEL!

AGD202
04-07-2005, 08:31 PM
at first i planned on getting a lightning... now im looking into a rice burner cuz gas sucks balls around here... $2.35 and going up

although i have heard that the prices are supposed to go back down to 1.70... get real people when the day gas hits $5.00/gal not a single thing will be going on in this country... the truckers WILL strike and then the econ stops... cuz like some1 said earlier... U BOUGHT IT TRUCKS BROUGHT IT

nippinout
04-07-2005, 08:39 PM
http://www.randomimage.us/files/417fe139aaeb9.jpg

gimp
04-07-2005, 08:48 PM
I think it's gonna be a while before fuel cells are practical. One of my professors does research in fuel cell technologies. His guess was something like 10 years before they get popular. I guess it's really tricky to interface the fuel cells with stuff. They aren't just like a set of AA batteries that you just plop in there.

mcveighr
04-07-2005, 09:27 PM
i ended up paying $50 for a tank of gas for my 2k3 4runner...

Costs me over 300$, suck it up.

mcveighr
04-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Then again it'lt goes between 2500-3000 kms...

Fatjon
04-07-2005, 09:48 PM
My truck gets 9 miles to the gallon. Havent been driving it much lately. I wish i could afford to drive it lol

dj89
04-07-2005, 10:18 PM
I feel good about my gas, i'm geting 16-17 to the gal. In a truck :)

teufelhunden
04-07-2005, 10:23 PM
I'll take my 31mpg, kthx.

Konigballer
04-08-2005, 12:58 PM
I thought when we invaded Iraq we were going to get something out of it? The whole world claims we did it for oil and gas prices have only risen since. Where are the benefits of being part of the 'evil empire', I want to be able to at least live up to the rest of the world's complaining and cruise effortlessley across the highways in huge vehicles on CHEAP gas! ;)

Lohman446
04-08-2005, 01:00 PM
I thought when we invaded Iraq we were going to get something out of it? The whole world claims we did it for oil and gas prices have only risen since. Where are the benefits of being part of the 'evil empire', I want to be able to at least live up to the rest of the world's complaining and cruise effortlessley across the highways in huge vehicles on CHEAP gas! ;)

Don't forget teh all cow leather interior, baby seal skin hubcabs, sucking down hamburgers in the old fashioned non-biodegradable styrofoam containers and throwing them out the window, getting 2 miles per gallon :D

Bear_Claw
04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
I cant complain too mutch really i guess.

My Truck cruises down the road getting an average of 16mpg CITY and 18mpg Highway Not bad for a 3/4 Ton 6000lbs BEAST.

But when the pinch is on i'll stick to the VW and putt hapily along getting my 45mpg CITY. :D

I personally HATE all the current NEWS coverage on Fuel wise vehicals as they all PRAISE these "NEW" Hybrids and completley Fail to mention the Bloody diesels.

Heres some FACTS for ya:

VW Golf TDI 1.9L Turbo intercooled Diesel get 4.6l/100kms and is FULLY LOADED for $26,000CDN. Further more if run on Bio Diesel (No modification needed) it is Cleaner to run than the hybrids. (Ie. Better for the enviroment). Also maintanece is Simpler and ALOT cheaper on a VW Diesel then that p a Hybrid Toyota or Honda).

Toyota Prius gets 4.0l/100kms and retails for $31,000CDN BARE BONE.

Tell me How is it that these hybrids keep getting som mutch praise. They get LITTLE to NO milage improvments over the diesel yet cost $5000CDN more for a lesser vehical. They are GUTLESS were as the New TDIs are pretty peppy STOCK and DANG quick with some cheap mods. AND the Diesels are CAPABLE of being Better for the enviroment and can run on a Completly Renuable fuel sorce. WHAT the heck this seems to be a NO BRAINER yet the typical DUMB NorthAmerican refuse the Diesel superiority.

amrani
04-09-2005, 10:55 PM
the reason hybreds are getting praise is because they are newer, and also, biodesil (i know i cant spell) is not available everywhere, as regular gasoline is.

Bear_Claw
04-10-2005, 07:19 AM
Then does it not make sence for goverment to Push for the Diesel spread over the Hybrids?

mcveighr
04-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Just make a Diesel hybrid.

Diesels are much more commun in Europe than in North America.

Glickman
04-10-2005, 10:31 AM
ahh biodiesel. thats the stuff made out of a corn extract no?

Matt Crawford
04-12-2005, 05:41 PM
I drive a 97 4.6L Thunderbird sport. While having some preformance parts and having to run 93(custom chip) I pay around 2.39 a gallon. I get 350ish miles off my tank, and I fill up 2 times a week...So at 70.00 a week in gas...its getting annoying. But its my choice for driving a gas guzzling V8 tbird and "modding" it but owell, I'll deal with it. I'd still rather drive this car than some pos geo or honda. :)