PDA

View Full Version : A fix to fried Revy boards...maybe...

Ityl
11-21-2001, 02:31 PM
I have fried my revy board, so it has just been sitting around. One day I decided to try to make an intellifeed only hopper. So the idea was to hook up 2 9v's in series, run it through a 12v regulator, then to the hopper servo. Somewhere I'd stick in a capacitor so it would spin a decent amount. So I hooked this all up and the servo spins pretty slow, not at a crawl but way slower than the normal hopper. Plus the voltage regulator is getting really hot. I hooked up the input and output both ways with no luck. Anyone know what's wrong? Picture out it is attached below. Thanks

Muzikman
11-21-2001, 04:26 PM
Well, you are probably putting too much power into the servo. Most servo's operate at between 4.8 and 6 Volts. Also, I have never taken apart a loader servo, but have many R/C servos. In order to have the servo rotate 360degrees you must take out quite a bit of the electronics. But if they do that then what use is the third wire (control). You know, you now have me interested, but I don't have a loader at home. Guess I'll have to wait for my stuff to get back from AGD.

But I can tell you, 12V is WAY too much power. Also, make sure you have the wires hooked up right.

V+
Control
Common

You can remove the potentiometer and replace it with a voltage divider. This will fake the servo into thinking it is in the neutral position. You can then send it a pulse (using the control lead) greater than 1500uS and the motor will turn. I am not sure if this is how they do it in the loader system or not. My experiences with doing such a thing drastically reduces the life of a servo.

Ityl
11-21-2001, 08:07 PM
Well it ended up that my board isn't fried, the servo is. And actually the servo is only a DC motor in the revy's. I remember that 18v was too much for the motors, that is why the shredders burnt out the motors, but 12v was ok.