PDA

View Full Version : Was I in the wrong? a little blurb about this weekend

Conversekidz
04-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I played at tag this weekend, had an awsome time (when my gun worked.....) got to try out a lot of different guns and still like the feel of my freestyle.

So here is the is what happened and why I pose the question.

During one of the games on the hyperball field (corrigated tubes?) I some how managed to get around what the kids called the "crack pipe" and was able to bunker this other player. So I run around this one bunker, see the kid, look at the ref and yell "Hey ref can I bunker this kid?" ref looks and me and says "Yea" so I shoot the kid one time in the back. The kid starts screaming bloody murder (I say kid even though he was 14-15) about how I bunkered him and how that was unfair and not allowed.. blah blah blah. So instead of getting in it with the kid I just said "Hey, I asked the ref before I shot you, that is much more than other players would have done" and walked away. Was I in the wrong for shooting the kid in the back?

Another game (different kid this time) I ran around a a tube, and was going to bunker him, this time I the kid was turning as I had my barrel on him so I said "want to go out?" trying to give him the option and he goes "sure" so I lower my gun and the kid pumps his marker and trys to shoot me....so I shot him twice once in the chest and once in the stomach for good measure cause I gave the kid the option of surrendering cause he was playing pump, he accepted it, then tried to shoot me. This kid however was not mad at my actions, and actually laughed cause he tried to shoot me as well.

Oh and one final thing. Anyone in the bay area should play at Tag, I have one of the best experiances in a long time that I have ever had playing there. The refs are on the ball and really look for cheating (which I love) and will enforce it. Cheap field fees, cheap paint prices, and nice fields to play on.

hobbesTZ
04-05-2005, 11:21 PM
The kid is a nerd. He deserves to be bunkered 1,001 times.

txaggie08
04-05-2005, 11:24 PM
the second kid should have been ejected from the field. if you accept a surrender your dead. if helld spun without speaking whatever. you showed self restraint illd have lit him up if helld tried that crap on me. dead men dont talk and they dont shoot.

no i wouldnt think you were wrong in any of these cases

teufelhunden
04-05-2005, 11:30 PM
Meh, if you're shooting a kid in the back, may as well aim for the pack in recball. Higher chance of a break anyway.

As for the second kid, shoot him in the face, paint always breaks on lenses. That way there's not gonna be any question ;)

Boski51
04-05-2005, 11:40 PM
I like the way you play! Although I would have never asked the ref if u could bunker him or not-it does show character which can be lost in this game. Usually just shoot a ball or two into his pack if you have time like that. Doesn't hurt and gets your point across.

Never ask for surrenders, just shoot em in the pack or gun if you can. I asked a kid to surrender and he dropped three into my gut for the trouble. My bad for asking-never again.

Unless however it is a little kid. I let them shoot me all the time. I try not to shoot at the little kids, but sometimes you can't tell.

Conversekidz
04-05-2005, 11:57 PM
It was my first time playing at tag and because I had issues with my gun in the morning I did not go to the safety brief to learn if there was a surrender rule or not, thats why I asked the ref.

And the kid that tried to shoot me, I held back, i should have lit him up but he was not more than 2 feet away and I didn't want to be mean to him.

master_alexander
04-06-2005, 12:03 AM
sounds to me like you had fun and play exactly the way i do :D

that happened to me, with the first kid, but it was my little brother and he was mad :D (and to this day he hasn't gotten me back)

txaggie08
04-06-2005, 12:16 AM
It was my first time playing at tag and because I had issues with my gun in the morning I did not go to the safety brief to learn if there was a surrender rule or not, thats why I asked the ref.

And the kid that tried to shoot me, I held back, i should have lit him up but he was not more than 2 feet away and I didn't want to be mean to him.

well you showed good restraint. i dont always hold my temper well. that kind of thing makes me REALY mad though. had that happen once. he shot me once......i got him about five times. he decided that wasnt smart to do naymore

XSSPL
04-06-2005, 12:25 AM
I recently got to play at a field that I hadn't been to in literally 12 years... anyway - I came late and since I knew the owner I didn't get any field "speech".

In the midst of a game of hyperball... I was pinning a guy back left and one back right from the 50 right tape... not knowing their rules for rec play I spun to the ref and asked "Yo, what's the rule on bunkering?"

I got the answer any baller wants to hear ... "Go for it." :headbang:

Yep - homey caught two in the back and his cross field buddy followed soon after. :D :D

I love to bunker and by the same token - I never complain about getting bunkered unless I feel I was overshot on purpose.

Z-man
04-06-2005, 12:31 AM

I like the way you play Conversekidz! I used to ref a lot at TAG (I actually built their site) and Carbon here on AO refs there most weekends. I like TAG for the same reasons you listed. They don't take any cheating crap. You went above and beyond what anyone should be expected to do in the field. Getting bunkered (ESP when the ref's ok it and you ONLY put 1 round into the guy) is part of the game and the people who shriek about it (I DONT WANT TO HEAR A WORD OUT OF YOU CARBON) are just, as I would say, swine.

Hope to meet you at one of our AO Days.

gc82000
04-06-2005, 12:33 AM
this is why I would rather not play with kids or new players that I dont know. But I dont see where you are wrong in either situation.

If you are a 14-15 year oldkid and are crying over one shot to the back then maybe one man tic-tac-toe is more of your game.
As for the pumper he should have been talked to after that stunt and/or asked to leave the feild. I too would have lit him up. yup lit him up good. :argh:

Big Weapons
04-06-2005, 12:39 AM
(I DONT WANT TO HEAR A WORD OUT OF YOU CARBON) are just, as I would say, swine.

Hope to meet you at one of our AO Days.

Ehehehe.

You did the right thing. Most players wouldn't even bother being as considerate as you are. That kid obviously overreacted and has never been bunkered much. I'd almost be certain he was a new player--you taught him a valuable lesson though and showed that you were the good guy in the situation.

Blazestorm
04-06-2005, 01:11 AM
Yes you are a bad person.

kurama
04-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Only one shot to the back? You're very merciful with that.

SteelSoul
04-06-2005, 08:24 AM
Well I think the one shot was perfect, I always give the chance to surrender. Only 1 time has a person spun and shoot me, it was to late casue I double tapped him in the side and arm but the kid shot me anyway after the fact.

good job on asking about the bunker rule. :clap:

Keep hucking paint

phantomhitman
04-06-2005, 09:07 AM
you were in the right. i still do not bunker kids, or anyone, that i do not know personally. there have been almost punches thrown from rec players, parents of small kids, and even teh tourney players over bunkering/overshooting them.

anytime i play against little kids, or even some normal rec kids, i will shoot out the good players first, then set my gun on the ground and move around. eventually the kid will either shoot me or give up because he thinks he is about to get destroyed. either way is fine for me, the kid will either go brag about how he shot out the guy with the dm5, or he will run away in terror because he ws the last one left shooting against a dm5. you can ask my teammates who post here, they have witnessed me many times give up or let the kiddies shoot me out. i know it sounds stupid, but as we all know, rec players think the gun makes the player.

Lohman446
04-06-2005, 09:26 AM
anytime i play against little kids, or even some normal rec kids, i will shoot out the good players first, then set my gun on the ground and move around. .

I have seen players on a mixed team (skill mixed) do that. Once the top players are eliminated they remove there hopper from the gun and feed single balls - practicing moving and snap shooting.

peewee
04-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Dont tell me you worded your surrender attempt as "want to go out?" He might have thought for dinner or something!! Played both well. I try & hit pods or a foot if I really have the drop on them.

shadowspar
04-06-2005, 02:01 PM
Good on ya for asking about bunkering and for offering a surrender. My introduction to paintball was Stock Class with Nel-Spots, and offering and accepting surrenders wasn't optional -- it was expected behaviour and etiquette. I still offer the surrender option if I have someone dead to rights, and I accept and walk off if I'm caught dead to rights myself. Yeah, I've been burned once or twice by someone who turns on me, but the worst case scenario is both of us walking off with paint on us, and I still know I'm in the right, which is more important to me than winning.

As for bunkering: it all depends on the field policies. If bunkering's allowed, then I don't complain if I take a hit up close. Getting overshot is a different matter. I'll always offer a surrender when I make a bunkering run, unless it's a "tourney-style" game where bunkering is the norm and the folks I'm playing with are experienced players who expect to be on both the giving and receiving end of the muggings.

As for the surrender wording -- for some reason, I've used "Give it up!" for almost as long as I can recall. Lately, though, it's been more of "You're out!" or "You're gone!" when I eliminate someone via the barrel-tag instead.

SCpoloRicker
04-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Getting bunkered (ESP when the ref's ok it and you ONLY put 1 round into the guy) is part of the game and the people who shriek about it (I DONT WANT TO HEAR A WORD OUT OF YOU CARBON) are just, as I would say, swine.

http://sjsuserver.lunarpages.com/jump.gif

I call shenanigans.

Conversekidz, you played it great for a rec-ball field. Only thing I would add, not that it contradicts your actions, is that I will offer surrender to younger players, usually by holding a bead on them and yelling "You're out!"

Carbon
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
LOLin @ gif, ricker

SCpoloRicker
04-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I wanted the vid with you and z on the 50, but alas, twenty seconds of searching and it eluded me.

Sparta
04-06-2005, 03:09 PM
I live in the Bay area, Antioch as a matter of fact. I know where midway is, but where is tag!? I really don't think you were in the wrong at all BTW.

Automaggot68
04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
I DONT WANT TO HEAR A WORD OUT OF YOU CARBON
That was such an awesome video.

p8ntball365
04-06-2005, 04:42 PM
If he's on the field then I would bunker him. I always shoot 3 times when bunkering. If theyr'e big enough to be holding a marker and shooting at you than they can be shot.

Conversekidz
04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
I live in the Bay area, Antioch as a matter of fact. I know where midway is, but where is tag!? I really don't think you were in the wrong at all BTW.

Down in hollister

JoshK
04-06-2005, 05:19 PM
You are very generous, and I would be very thankful the whole day that you didnt punch me if I was that one pump kid.

I try and offer "rambo" to mostly anyone...but more so to younger than me people. I remember this one time I was playing at a friends, and his dad tried to run at me (from like 15ft) out in the open, and I guess he was saying rambo...I guess my finger slipped once or twice as he was charging me :rolleyes: