PDA

View Full Version : ULE Carbon fiber foregrip from DW (prototype pics)

nicad
04-06-2005, 07:57 PM
One of our next 'mag products coming out soon will be this _real_ carbon fiber foregrip. This is a prototype I just finished to mockup how it will look. It is not machined to be mounted yet. :) We plan to offer it for both RTPro rail mounting (2x 10-32 bolts) or AM/MM rail mounting (1x 1/4-20 bolt + wings). A 10* is also a very likely possibility for both styles.
It currently weighs 1.8oz (about 3x lighter than most foregrips), and the final product will be even lighter.

Projected price: $30
Availability: Sometime around IAO (aprox 3 months)
Aluminum endcaps will be anodized in BLACK, RED, or BLUE.
It is NOT a gas-through grip, just an OS handle. ;)

I am open to comments and suggestions, but this project is already rolling so I am somewhat limited to changes.

n-joy!
http://www.deadlywind.com/images/mag-cf-foregrip/CF_foregrip-fullgunview.jpg
http://www.deadlywind.com/images/mag-cf-foregrip/CF_foregrip-leftside.jpg
http://www.deadlywind.com/images/mag-cf-foregrip/CF_foregrip-rightside.jpg

and an example of 10* forward sweep..
http://www.deadlywind.com/images/mag-cf-foregrip/CF_foregrip-10deg.jpg

out!

The Action Figure
04-06-2005, 07:59 PM
ill get 1 or maybe 2 :ninja:

ICP
04-06-2005, 08:09 PM
looks nice, will the 10* angled ones be a touch shorter, so they don't extend lower than the grip frame?

WenULiVeUdiE
04-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Very nice work. I may just get one.

NUCKING FUTS!
04-06-2005, 08:28 PM
$30? NICE price!

*Drop It Like Its Hot starts playing*

Python14
04-06-2005, 08:38 PM
wow....I wish yall have come out with that a few months ago

Chronobreak
04-06-2005, 08:40 PM
holy coolness batman

glad to see more products/accesories.

more choices :cheers:

i was getting tired of mags starting to look all alike again

i wish it was a gas-thru but i guess it doesnt matter :clap:

--edit do you have to show it on a pneu frame and tease us? :cry:

ojhspyro89
04-06-2005, 08:40 PM
Gosh i really feel like an idiot doin this, but i really dont get that whole buzz outa this foregrip. Mabye if it had something extreemly sweet in shape. I admit the CF is pretty sweet lookin but just a norm forgip like that one just kinda bores me.

And i agree with the guy that said it looked a lil long. Nice work though, its unique.

Chronobreak
04-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Its a hAir trigger...yes, there is a difference ;)

ehh.... :rolleyes: :p

i just said pneu trigger...their both pneu triggers still arent they?

and if theyr so diff why all the .....nm il let it go(dont want to get off track) :ninja:

good work as usual colin and il look forward to more little nicknacks in the future :dance:

Major Ho
04-06-2005, 09:19 PM
D'oh! I just made one from a real carbon fiber cigar tube that cost me about $60 all together :(
Mass-Drivers idea

nicad
04-06-2005, 09:27 PM
length is something that can be changed.. I can go a little shorter, if that is preferred. It is currently ~4.25" long, as mounted to an RTPro rail, and would be right around 4.1" long as mounted on an AM/MM rail. The I-frame is a touch over 4" tall, and the vert frames (ie. RPG Chimera) is about 5.25" tall.

The 10* would pivot on the back of the mounting block, so yes it would get "shorter" as it rotates up/forward.

suggestions?

ICP
04-06-2005, 09:30 PM
I figured the 10* picture, was looking long because it wasn't actually mounted, but just makin sure ;)

M-a-s-sDriver
04-06-2005, 09:54 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117400

Prototype??
Hmm...wonder how you were inspired?
Yours DO look more finished though... and cheaper.
Nice.
Brent.

mobius
04-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Any chances on making a gas-through version? That would make it absolutely the pimp stuff. If not, I'll probably still buy one.

evilhomer
04-06-2005, 10:12 PM
It's alright looking... kinda plain, but the carbon fiber looks slick... But I don't think I could put a lone carbon fiber piece on my gun... there would have to be matching other parts.. snatch grips, feedneck... and I guess that's all you can really make CF on a Mag...

SpecialBlend2786
04-06-2005, 10:29 PM
thumbs up. I like the slick simple look to it.

zeroack
04-06-2005, 11:10 PM
Very nice....I like...

Zero

onedude36
04-06-2005, 11:31 PM
I rember someone using some carbon fiber car decals on their marker, that might accent the grip nicely.

BTW for 30 I might buy one... :D

MarkM
04-07-2005, 06:22 AM
You asked for simple changes well I would half the size of the top piece so it appears to be the same size as the bottom plug, I know you have said the ally parts will be annodised but it would in my opinion look better with even sized ally parts or if you really want to have a smaller bottom to top pieces half the bottom plug, the internal part can still be as long as it already is as you must be gluing them together. Since no gas is going through the grip so do you really need such a wide top section as there will be no need for a notch afterall the connection is through the rail, just a couple of ideas for you.

Creative Mayhem
04-07-2005, 06:32 AM
Kudos Colin! Now I know what you've been doing other than my project ;) :p

I may be thinking of picking on of those up.... :D

alouba
04-07-2005, 08:19 AM
i want one......
but i think that means i have to get a new rail.....and i don't want to do that
omega rails have their own special foregrip thing, right?

EDIT: i'll pay a little extra if u can modify it to fit omega without too much trouble

luke
04-07-2005, 09:04 AM
I believe that the nicest foregrip I've ever seen. :cheers:

TheTramp
04-07-2005, 09:12 AM
Any chances on making a gas-through version? That would make it absolutely the pimp stuff. If not, I'll probably still buy one.

I agree, a gas-through would be nice.

rkjunior303
04-07-2005, 09:39 AM
can carbon fiber hold any sort of pressure? i know bottles are CF, but they are also wrapped...

Mer
04-07-2005, 09:50 AM
How about adding a 1/4"-20 tapped hole between the 2 10-32 holes in the RT version for the Rogue rails. The rogue rails are perfectly made for a 1/4"-20 carriage bolt. It lets you simply twist and slide to adjust its position.

Eric

TheTramp
04-07-2005, 10:03 AM
can carbon fiber hold any sort of pressure? i know bottles are CF, but they are also wrapped...

I'm not sure but you could slide a metal sleeve through a in the middle that would hold pressure.

evilhomer
04-07-2005, 10:07 AM
i want one......
but i think that means i have to get a new rail.....and i don't want to do that
omega rails have their own special foregrip thing, right?

EDIT: i'll pay a little extra if u can modify it to fit omega without too much trouble
Omega rails' foregrip holes aren't any different...

rkjunior303
04-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure but you could slide a metal sleeve through a in the middle that would hold pressure.

wouldn't that negate the main selling point, though, of saving weight? :)

ApexAZ
04-07-2005, 12:46 PM
That's absolutely beautiful.

I'm all over it!

nicad
04-07-2005, 12:48 PM
Tanks are still aluminum with CF fibers wet-wrapped around them-- designed from the ground up to hold air.
I would not want to even attempt to put pressure in a non-pressure rated CF tube.. :eek:

Yes weight and looks are what we are after with the grip. I think its hard to beat the look of carbon fiber, and this thing will save 4oz from a stock RTPro foregrip-- that's a 1/4LB! That's almost twice as much weight saved in a ULE rail.

ApexAZ
04-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh, a question:

I read somewhere that you can do basic colors with carbon fiber.

Will this be possible with this grip?

rkjunior303
04-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Tanks are still aluminum with CF fibers wet-wrapped around them-- designed from the ground up to hold air.
I would not want to even attempt to put pressure in a non-pressure rated CF tube.. :eek:

Yes weight and looks are what we are after with the grip. I think its hard to beat the look of carbon fiber, and this thing will save 4oz from a stock RTPro foregrip-- that's a 1/4LB! That's almost twice as much weight saved in a ULE rail.

that's what i thought.

NUCKING FUTS!
05-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Has any progress been made?

teufelhunden
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
Has any progress been made?

He said around IAO.. not quite sure what kind of progress you're looking for, it's a CF tube..

Python14
05-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Wanna know what'd be cool.....a CF cover for Sidewinders. :::::hint:::hint:::::

Boydster
05-10-2005, 07:19 PM
I think these should be made so they are perfectly level with the Intelliframe. I liked being able to stand my Emag up on the battery and frame...

nicad
05-11-2005, 02:15 AM
..waiting on a few more parts to get finished up. Looks like they will be ready by the end of this month.

first batch: ALL will be 10* (either forward or backword, able to be mounted either way). A version for AM rails (w/wings) and RTPro mounts (flat top).
Available colors will be AGD Black, Blue, and Red.

We are going to the extents of ULE pocketing the aluminum end caps to remove weight. I hope to get it under 1.5oz. :)

Outlaw5
05-11-2005, 03:53 AM
Nicad, As always your creations are the heat! The question is; You said rails will be available??? Do you have any picts of what they will look like? Thanks adn Keep the Good stuff comin!!! :D

nicad
05-18-2005, 02:33 PM
rails? Don't reacall saying anything about having rails available..
where was that at?

Parts are supose to be delivered today. If so, I will have pictures later today.

out!

onedude36
05-18-2005, 03:55 PM
you wouldn't happen to know it the -10* would work with the hyperframe on a mm rail? I think that would be a nice touch to my mag.

EDIT SP

Fred
05-18-2005, 05:39 PM
I'll take one in Blue...

IAO you say?

Hmm...

PsychoBaller
05-31-2005, 11:50 PM
NICAD !!! heh.. time for an update my friend, lol

show us the goods :D

nicad
05-31-2005, 11:59 PM
PsychoBaller! :)

Here is the deal- I got the parts in, but the colors were not to my approval, so instead of selling them anyways, I sent them all back to be re-done.

Thats where we are at right now. I would guess about 2 more weeks??
Till then, here ya go-

http://www.deadlywind.com/images/bodies/dallara/dallara_black_cf_foregrip.jpg

spacedtedybear
06-01-2005, 02:34 AM
Ooooh. Looking nice.

One question. Not to get off topic, but can the RT rails be cut to the form of dallara rails?

amrani
06-01-2005, 10:12 AM
It's alright looking... kinda plain, but the carbon fiber looks slick... But I don't think I could put a lone carbon fiber piece on my gun... there would have to be matching other parts.. snatch grips, feedneck... and I guess that's all you can really make CF on a Mag...

dont forget a STIFI :D

heh, im in the process of making a carbonfiber mainbody :p

might have to pick one of these up to match.

Target Practice
06-01-2005, 10:15 AM
I have to say...beautiful.

Kudos, Colin.

Edited for kudos.

Creative Mayhem
06-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Looking good Colin. Needs the CF wrapped Karta body and the Stiffi barrel though.

logicmag19
06-07-2005, 12:43 PM
i want a 10* with black end caps

nicad
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, it is mid-July, and before IAO, so I think its about time these are made available.

They are HERE!

All are 10 degrees forward or backwards (you can mount them angled front or back, up to you).
All are in stock: Red, Blue, Black in AM/MM and RTPro style
Currently only availabe at the DW online store (http://www.deadlywind.com/store/mag_cf_foregrips/)

http://www.deadlywind.com/images/CF_foregrip/cf-foregrips_3xcolor_group1.jpg

WenULiVeUdiE
07-13-2005, 09:19 PM
Will these fit the RTP front grip bracket? They look really nice and I'd love to have one, but I'm stuck with the stock RTP rail.

MoneyShot
07-13-2005, 09:42 PM
I didnt really like the first prototype because it jsut looked really odd in the silver and the light color on that gun. The new black one looks awesome though, and also the different colors too. Good job :cheers:

PsychoBaller
07-14-2005, 01:13 AM
Well my KP2-CA project is done... so I guess its about time i started my Carbon Fiber Gun project ;) Sadly however, i am not attending IAO this year.

Nicad, I will soon be in touch.

SummaryJudgement
07-14-2005, 09:45 AM
HEY! Those grips posted above thave the grove milled out to fit around the body rail! I JUST got one of those grips and it has a flat top. I wanted to use it on my Rogue mag, but the 15 degree adapter I have from Rogue fits too sweet on the rail. I put the carbon fiber grip on my Karta. It's really nice. It feels great, but I wanted it on my Rogue mag.....guess I'll have to throw DW another thirty bucks :D

nicad
07-14-2005, 09:54 AM
SummaryJudgement-
please email me your paypal transaction #...
There are two types- AM/MM ("winged" top), and RTPro (flat top).
If you didn't get what you ordered, we need to fix it!

Colin

SummaryJudgement
07-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Hey Nicad,

I wasn't clear enough I guess. I actually got EXACTLY what I thought I was going to. I expected to get the flat top. I didn't KNOW that there was a winged version. I may have been too excited when I ordered and just picked the first thing I saw :rofl: ! I'm real happy with the carbon fiber grip on my Karta. It's super light, feels great, and looks really clean on my Karta. I'll post some pics eventually I guess. I'll probably breakdown and buy another one soon :D

Thanks for the concern though! I've gotten nothing but great service and awsome products from you DW guys.
Keep up the great work! I want more killer products floating around out there to choose from.

....me likey Deadlywind... :clap: