PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my eyes...?

Blazestorm
04-08-2005, 08:34 AM
I used to be able to sit in front of my computer for hours on end, playing games non-stop only to take breaks for bathroom and food, I'd be wearing my contacts at the time and these weren't the breathe-able kind, just simple soft contacts, that you're supposed to take out every night, I never did, I treated them like I do the ones you CAN leave in for a month.

Well recently my eyes have been burning while I play games, I can be looking on forums and chatting with no problems, but once I load up HL2 my eyes begin to burn.

I used to be able to play literally for 20-30 hours without stopping (Not good for me but still) now I can barely go 15-20 minutes before the burning is so unbearable and my eyes are so watery I can't see.

Anyone have any ideas? I just want to be able to play my game without having to stop playing mid-way and go wash my eyes out and walk around.

Nothing has changed except my contacts.. I don't see why ones that are meant to be left in longer are having more problems then the last brand.

Will Wood
04-08-2005, 09:07 AM
I think it's for the better..... :p

Linkwarner
04-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Hmm, try some Visine for contacts, and what type of contacts do you have? I have Focus night and days and never have a problem with them.

Chris42050
04-08-2005, 05:33 PM
go to eye dr.

WickeDKlowN
04-08-2005, 05:38 PM
Pop your eyes out with a spoon, clean them with some soap and water and put them back in. Works every time ;)

Actually, I have no idea. Do other game do it? I know of people getting motion sickness from HL2 but this is the first I've heard of burning eyes.

AGDlover
04-08-2005, 06:13 PM
ya my eyes do that then they start watering real bad and are earitated its usualy when i'm playing MOH

Tunaman
04-08-2005, 06:14 PM
It's called getting old. Wait till you hit 40... :D

Steelrat
04-08-2005, 06:20 PM
It's called getting old. Wait till you hit 40... :D

Thinking about the good old days? ;)

temps
04-08-2005, 06:48 PM
Happens to me too.. I then take a break off the computer.. for like a day I wont play games only go on to check ao ext. then I'll be back to normal. I think my hair getting into my eyes has something to do with it.. Then with the fact that you are staring at a screen for 4+ hours with no break and little blinking.

We need to ask a pro gamer who practices 10 hours a day.. they must have a solution :D

Heres to being a gamer :cheers: :cool:

Blazestorm
04-08-2005, 09:15 PM
See I had no problem playing 20-30 hours straight before (literally... damn MMORPG's...) with very few breaks.

Now I can barely play for 30 minutes without the irritation being unbearable.

This happened earlier today when I was playing an sNES Emulator at school, eyes started to burn really bad and got watery, couldn't keep them open.

Sometimes I'll be able to play halflife 2 for 3-4 hours, cycling through 5-6 levels (100 kill cap).... meh...

B.A.M.
04-08-2005, 09:19 PM
Pop your eyes out with a spoon, clean them with some soap and water and put them back in. Works every time ;)

Actually, I have no idea. Do other game do it? I know of people getting motion sickness from HL2 but this is the first I've heard of burning eyes.
it must be the greatness and holyness of Hl2 that burns you eyes similar to holy water

Blazestorm
04-08-2005, 09:53 PM
seems to be any games do this...

WickeDKlowN
04-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Try changing your refresh rate. I doubt thats the problem but it's worth a shot.

Blazestorm
04-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Up or down?

I have dual monitors as well, would turning one of them off help?

I just noticed this problem occuring after I setup these monitors... this may be it :eek:

I'm running 85 on my CRT and 75 on my LCD... 1280x1024 on both...

68bird
04-09-2005, 12:35 AM
are u blinking? my friend dosent blink when he plays videogames one time i antiqued him and got flower in his eyes.

fire1811
04-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Try changing your refresh rate. I doubt thats the problem but it's worth a shot.

no this very well could be it.
if your screen is flickering you need to turn your rate up a little.

screen flicker can hurt your eyes, cause headaches all sorts of fun stuff.

WickeDKlowN
04-09-2005, 02:11 PM
Up or down?

I have dual monitors as well, would turning one of them off help?

I just noticed this problem occuring after I setup these monitors... this may be it :eek:

I'm running 85 on my CRT and 75 on my LCD... 1280x1024 on both...
It might be from looking at 2 different refresh rates. Try upping the LCD to 85 or turning one or the other off.

AGD202
04-09-2005, 03:16 PM
GOD IS SENDING UR BUMMASS A MESSAGE.... thats insane that some1 can even manage over 3 hrs of gaming straight...

-=Squid=-
04-09-2005, 03:29 PM
GOD IS SENDING UR BUMMASS A MESSAGE.... thats insane that some1 can even manage over 3 hrs of gaming straight...
It's also insane that you live in America and can't speak English.

AGDlover
04-09-2005, 06:38 PM
lol HES SPEEKING IN TUNGS!!!

Alpha
04-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Let me first say that if you play 30 hours nonstop video games then you have a serious problem and need to get a life. Not trying to be harsh, but I think even 5-6 hours is way too much.

What you did was cut off the oxygen supply to your eyes. You need oygen for your cells to perform cellular respiration, so your eyes are probably ****ed up.

How many nights did you do this?

What you really need to do, is shut off your computer, and someone hide the powersupply cord for a week or two.

WickeDKlowN
04-09-2005, 07:04 PM
We(My cousin and I) played Halo for 14hrs straight, and Halo 2 for 11 straight so I don't have much room to talk on this subject, but 30 really is kinda much.

Nothing compaired to what I've heard about Quakecon though. People stay up for like 3-4 days straight gaming there.

Blazestorm
04-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Alpha, I know it's bad haha, MMORPGS are addicting, and it was for one friday night I woke up late and played through saturday.

But dude, my eyes were FINE with old contacts, now the ones that BREATHE are the ones that are giving me problems, I have no problem with anything BUT games. I played 8 hours of paintball at a low-light indoor field, and had zero problems, no irritation, nothing. It was as if I didn't even have them on, drove for an hour straight and not once had irritation, it's only when I play games on the computer. I played games on the TV with no problems, halo 2 for an hour or two with my brother.

And I do have a life, it just revolves around the computer and paintball, I don't get out a lot, I'm not ashamed of it, nor do I care. My life is always going to revolve around the computer, I first started playing games when I was 5, and was playing starcraft online when I was 9-10. (5th grade) and was making Halflife levels when I was in 6th grade. I knew how to make webpages in 3rd grade.

When I'm not on the computer I'm at school or playing paintball, not too amazing of a life, but I enjoy it. I'm fat, haha but I plan to get into shape for paintball.

Here's me playing, I didn't ask for you to tell me how to live my life, I asked if anyone else had a similar problem and if anyone had a solution. Thx.

http://www.blazestorm.net/blz.jpg

WickeDKlowN
04-09-2005, 11:23 PM
How close is your face to the monitor? I'm still thinking it's something to do with the refresh, or possibly even the resolution.

It's really odd that it only happens with the breathing contacts. Are you sure you're blinking enough?

Blazestorm
04-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Just measured, about 2 feet.

And I'm blinking as much as I normally do...I'll pay more attention next time I play.

Alpha
04-09-2005, 11:48 PM
I wasnt trying to be mean, but gaming binges can seriously **** you up. Throws off your sleep, and you can be hurting people aroudn you. I'ev even told my brother to **** off when playing socom.

Do you have a pair of glasses you can wear when you just sit at the computer? I have mine in a case right on my desk so I can throw them on. I get in the habit of taking my contacts off at around 9 or 10.

quik
04-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Eat lots of blueberries, and you will be cured.

Blazestorm
04-10-2005, 12:19 AM
I wasnt trying to be mean, but gaming binges can seriously **** you up. Throws off your sleep, and you can be hurting people aroudn you. I'ev even told my brother to **** off when playing socom.

Do you have a pair of glasses you can wear when you just sit at the computer? I have mine in a case right on my desk so I can throw them on. I get in the habit of taking my contacts off at around 9 or 10.

I have gotten irritated, but the most I do is get really pissed and throw my headphones down :)

I've never done anything like that, but I can understand the frustation. I throw off my sleep hardcore all the time, gotten used to it haha.

I don't have glasses, because contacts NEVER gave me problems, ever. I can take them out and put them back in with no solution (not the best idea) but somehow an eyelash got underneath once while I was in the shower, I was able to take it out, take out the eyelash, and put it back in with no irritation or anything. It's really weird.

Head knight of Ni
04-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Stop touching yourself! That burning sensation's god boring out your retinas.

WickeDKlowN
04-10-2005, 10:05 AM
Eat lots of blueberries, and you will be cured.
Or Carrots.

Try taking a few days, or even a week off from computer games. If console games don't bother you, play them.

SlipknotX556
04-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Try taking a break for a day or two totally from the computer. Dont even go on to check email or do anything. I had this happen to me back when all I played was D2 and CS, all day, every day. I started drifting away from computer games totally, I dont play any at all anymore, my eyes start to hurt after 1 hour of browsing PBN and updating my website and fooling around in PS.