PDA

View Full Version : Octopus: mad camo skillz (vid)

Jack & Coke
04-08-2005, 12:14 PM
http://media.ebaumsworld.com/octopus.wmv

Man... I wish my paintball jersey could do that! :wow:

Nexus
04-08-2005, 02:08 PM
That would be pretty cool. Although, people would still probably find something about it they didn't like. Maybe "it's not energy-efficient" or "Empire made a better version of it."

Will Wood
04-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Woah, that's really cool.
Does that work for only that plant (is it just like shriveling itself up? or can it do that for anything.

Hasty8
04-08-2005, 02:53 PM
That's gotta be photshopped!

I know alot of animals have camo capabilities but that's just insane!

I saw something a while back about these interesting clothes a japanese firm is making. somehow, small cameras in the clothing puts the image of what it sees on the other side of the wearer, sorta like the Predator's camo.

Once that goes public....watch out!

MrWallen
04-08-2005, 04:25 PM
No, it's real, and it works on pretty much everything, learned about it in Marine Bio a few years ago. It not only changes color but it can change the texture of its skin too.

AGD202
04-08-2005, 04:36 PM
thats insane! ...stuck here speechless...

SAW
04-08-2005, 04:51 PM
No, it's real, and it works on pretty much everything, learned about it in Marine Bio a few years ago. It not only changes color but it can change the texture of its skin too.
Does it become transparent, and allow the background to fade through or just change color?

MrWallen
04-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Does it become transparent, and allow the background to fade through or just change color?

No, it actually changes color. I forget all the biological factors involved, but, if I remember correctly, essentially it "scans" the surface under it and projects it over it's skin. In the same way it scans the texture and attempts to imitate it as well.
Also, it is an instinctual ability, the octopus can't control what color it changes, it just knows "I want to blend in now" and so it happens.

fire1811
04-08-2005, 05:16 PM
phht thats nothing I could do better :tard:

SAW
04-08-2005, 05:23 PM
No, it actually changes color. I forget all the biological factors involved, but, if I remember correctly, essentially it "scans" the surface under it and projects it over it's skin. In the same way it scans the texture and attempts to imitate it as well.
Also, it is an instinctual ability, the octopus can't control what color it changes, it just knows "I want to blend in now" and so it happens.
Wow. That's cool stuff....

SlipknotX556
04-08-2005, 06:34 PM
If only I had my Marine Biology book, I could give a detailed description of how it does it.

MrWallen
04-08-2005, 06:40 PM
If only I had my Marine Biology book, I could give a detailed description of how it does it.

If only we had some sort of enormous database where we could search for such things...oh, what's that? Google??? Ohhhhhh
EDIT: Not trying to make fun of/sound mean at all, just in case it came off that way ;)

Squid, octopuses, and cuttlefish (cephalopods) can change their skin color to match their surroundings and/or to reflect their mood. They possess specialized color pigment cells called chromatophores. Each chromatophore contains three colors which can blend in a variety of ways. Cephalopods can change color rapidly. That is because the color change is controlled by their nervous system. In many other animals, color change is controlled by hormones and takes a longer time to occur. In addition to rapid color changes, many cephalopods can alter their skin texture to closely match the texture of an irregular background. Specialized muscles enable them to do this. ;)

Tim 3
04-08-2005, 07:30 PM
thats preety cool! :headbang:

SlipknotX556
04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
If only we had some sort of enormous database where we could search for such things...oh, what's that? Google??? Ohhhhhh
EDIT: Not trying to make fun of/sound mean at all, just in case it came off that way ;)

;)

I hate google, I wanted to sound important.

wanna-b-ballin'
04-09-2005, 12:09 AM
i dunno about that video...
i've seen other short videos of octopuses changeing color and stuff, and they do a good job; and if you look carefully, you can still see the octopus.
but in this video, the octopus actually changed into the plant; not just color change. i think it was photoshopped.

SpecialBlend2786
04-09-2005, 01:29 AM
holy crap thats crazy :ninja:

MrWallen
04-09-2005, 05:42 AM
i dunno about that video...
i've seen other short videos of octopuses changeing color and stuff, and they do a good job; and if you look carefully, you can still see the octopus.
but in this video, the octopus actually changed into the plant; not just color change. i think it was photoshopped.

they don't just change color, they change texture too, it just so happens the texture of the plant closely matched the texture the octopus could imitate. believe me, not photoshopped.

ojhspyro89
04-09-2005, 08:51 PM
Um, whao? That was extreemly crazy. That would freak me out if i was that camera guy and i didnt know it was there. Id prolly pee myself if i hadnt already peed in the water :spit_take