PDA

View Full Version : Best way to set up a classic mag on co2?

Vulcan
04-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Well, I picked up a classic mag and I'm wondering what the best way to run CO2 on it. I've heard everything from run a palmers on it to that don't use co2 at all. My initial thought was to get a palmers and just run it at the maximum output. I've been told that a simple expansion chamber would wok better and it wouldn't starve the gun, though how do you starve a gun like that? So, what is the best solution for using CO2?

automikey
04-09-2005, 08:16 AM
I have a brand new palmers female stab that I may never use because I bought it thinking that it was the best reg for CO2 (which it is), then I found out that the mag regulator built into the back of your valve is meant to be run on CO2 and doesn't need an external reg. Another reg may actually starve the mag. So don't spend your money on that.

You want to keep liquid CO2 out, that's the big thing. An expansion chamber will work but your mag will probably work great without it, you might also try a slightly angled drop/ASA so the liquid CO2 in the tank stays near the bottom and away from the tank valve.

Apparently a mag can handle liquid CO2 in the valve if that happens, they are designed very well.

I say play with it for a season, and if you have problems then buy a part to solve the problem. I'll bet it works fine as is.

If you can switch to HPA, that's a huge plus.

Spacemanvic
04-09-2005, 08:58 AM
HA! Something I know :)

I've got a Automag 68 Classic that I've had since about 95. Have used CO2, and HPA. I can switch between both, depending on what's available. I use a vertically mounted Pro-Line expansion chamber on the gun (nothing special), and a Lapco expansion located on a remote. I run my bottle off of remote. Have since removed the Lapco and am still getting no liquid in the gun. I believe the remote hose keeps liquid from getting to the gun.

So in short, I use a remote, and an expansion on the gun to really good effect. Mileage may vary.

kevdupuis
04-09-2005, 11:51 AM
An expansion chamber and an anti siphon tube in your tank is all you need. I ran CO2 with an anti siphon and a gas through grip on my old air valve for a few years without a problem.

Vulcan
04-09-2005, 07:50 PM
What can I do without using an A/S tank? People say that palmers stab's are good at managing co2, so why should I use one of those?

gothsqwd
04-09-2005, 09:56 PM
The palmer stab is VERY good for CO2 and for use on a mag. You just have to set the output pressure high enough that it doesn't stave the mag valve. That should be between 700 and 800 psi, though you should try to keep it lower than your actual tank output pressure by at least 100 psi. (for example, if your tank output is 850, then set your palmer up to output 750. if the tank is 800, palmer should be 600.) And yes, the valve can handle getting liquid CO2 in it, but the liquid will screw up the O-rings. Hope this helps you out. Good luck.

Vulcan
04-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Thanks, Is he stabilizer enough to keep co2 out of the gun or do I need something else as well?