PDA

View Full Version : New gun time.....

Jazzman
04-09-2005, 09:09 AM
Hey all-

After taking a taking a year and a half off from paintball (got burned out, got married, got unemployed), I've been bitten by the bug again. I've been shooting a level 7 mag for the last five or six years, and it's time to try something different. Here's my stipulations. I don't want to spend more than $300-$350, and I need something that will work reliably on C02.

Having never owned a cocker before, I was just going to pick up a 2004 prostock and give it a try for a while. Than, I heard about the Ion. I was hoping to stay mechanical (the local field has different open play days for mechanical and electro), but the Ion looks damn cool. And affordable.

Decisions, decisions. Any tips?

Mr. Mouse
04-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Big hype with the ion, sopposingly really good gun and reliable, but im just saying from what ive read from people who have them.

mark_1791
04-09-2005, 09:41 AM
Although it is expensive at first, switching to nitro will open up many possibilities (like mags with x-valves).

Not saying you HAVE to switch to nitro...

I really cant recommend anything using CO2, not cause it automatically makes them suck, but rather b/c I dont have any experience with them.

UTDragun
04-09-2005, 10:02 AM
my field has ordered a couple of ions and about half of them have some kinda leak problem, but its all at the same spot. it doesnt leak enough to effect the marker and the ones which dont leak either love it or want to modify the trigger

tyrion2323
04-09-2005, 11:59 AM
I recommend the Evil Omen,

Electronic, easy to tune and maintain, very fast, anti-chop....It's everything you need and more.

It's got a bad rap, unfortunately, on AO...dunno why, really. They're great markers, and once you take the time to read the manual and break in the gun, you won't chop a ball again. I'm working up money to afford another one as soon as I can.

To anyone who says Omens are crappy, or whatever - 'Mags have a chopping problem, remember? :rolleyes:

teufelhunden
04-09-2005, 12:00 PM
Ion.

dj89
04-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I recommend the Evil Omen,

Electronic, easy to tune and maintain, very fast, anti-chop....It's everything you need and more.

It's got a bad rap, unfortunately, on AO...dunno why, really. They're great markers, and once you take the time to read the manual and break in the gun, you won't chop a ball again. I'm working up money to afford another one as soon as I can.

To anyone who says Omens are crappy, or whatever - 'Mags have a chopping problem, remember? :rolleyes:

Had a choopping problem

WARPED1
04-09-2005, 12:51 PM
Get the Ion. But if you use CO2, make sure it's an antisiphon tank. I love my Ion.

johnson88
04-09-2005, 03:27 PM
palmers blazer works very well with co2

WARPED1
04-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Problem with the Blazer is no one makes Blazer barrels.

-=Squid=-
04-09-2005, 03:54 PM
Problem with the Blazer is no one makes Blazer barrels.
Who cares...

peewee
04-09-2005, 03:59 PM
I have now seen two ions not run worth sour owl poo on CO2. Both had antisyphon tubes. They work great if not throwing long strings but if you hammer on the trigger for a while the do freeze. The two guns in that price bracket that work very well with CO2 are the EVO & the tippmann custom E pro. They both run a little under that price allowing for extra gear. I got a piranha for my kid & have been honestly impressed with it. Been thinking about grabbing the evo or E Pro as a backup. If he can scrounge the money for a palmer itsthe perfect co2 gun

Glickman
04-09-2005, 04:03 PM
had my ion run on co2.

played it with ramp on, no shootdown, no nothing, just shot fine.

:D

WARPED1
04-09-2005, 04:59 PM
Who cares...
Um, everybody.. That's the first thing people upgrade you dope.

johnson88
04-09-2005, 05:13 PM
well yea but it works well with co2 ;)

Lee
04-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Who cares...

talked to the stiffi guy at cup last year or the year before. he had blazer barrels iirc

edit: i really like my ion as well. leaks are easily corrected by making sure the hoses are firmly placed on the nipples on the banjo bolts.

Deltree
04-09-2005, 06:33 PM
I'd have to say the Diablo Wrath is a good buy right now. My friend just picked one up and its basically a poor man's intimidator. Fast light and looks better than the Ion IMO.

-=Squid=-
04-09-2005, 06:34 PM
Ya, because people are retarded.

Stock barrels/Barrels that Palmer sells are good enough for the Blazer, or hell, pretty much any gun.

ColdFuzion
04-09-2005, 06:36 PM
I'd have to say that my GX-3 is the best buy (HINT HINT)...

-Cold

SpecialBlend2786
04-09-2005, 07:16 PM

Glenn knows his stuff. His brass barrels rock, who would want to change the barrel on a blazer...

peewee
04-10-2005, 01:34 AM
having owned a palmers barrel for my old turnlock automag I can say the Palmers barrels rock. Had the barrel for over three years loved it. Miss it a bunch now :cry: .

VAballer
04-10-2005, 10:23 AM
It's getting a little off topic in here. Although I can't give you my opinions on those other markers, the wrath, omen and the like, but I really love my ION. It feels like the mag to me (still have it BTW). It takes very little maintenance to keep it going (like the mag). A little lube here and there is all you need. People dis the ION because for one it's made by SP, two, says it ugly when they never actually seen it in person and three they go by what other SP haters say. But whatever marker you decide on make sure it's an educated one.
Good luck.

dj89
04-10-2005, 11:04 AM
If your not going to get a mag get a blazer.

tyrion2323
04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
Had a choopping problem

...did you not notice the :rolleyes: ? I'm saying Omens got a bad wrap - JUST LIKE MAGS - for something that was primarily a user-error.