PDA

View Full Version : my neck has a major problem

wanna-b-ballin'
04-13-2005, 04:07 PM
this morning when i was drying my hair with a towel after i took a shower, my neck had a sudden unbearable pain. not like any pain i have ever felt before, its completely different.
it felt like a snap or a pop or something, and it still hurts.
i cant really turn or tilt my head very far in any direction, and it feels most comfortable when my head is tilted a little bit to the left and faceing downward a little.
its also hard to get out of chairs, because it hurts to bend over or do just about anything. i have to kinda just use my legs to get out of a chair, not lean forward a little like usual. it took me about a half an hour to get out of my lazy-boy recliner because it hurt so bad.
i couldn't use my right arm very well either, but now i can use it for simple things. at the time, i couldn't put on pants, or a t-shirt or anything.
so i had my mom call the doctor, and the doctor said that it is probably one of those things that goes away in a couple of hours, and that i should come in to the doctors office if it hasn't gotten better in 24 - 48 hours.
great. just great. i cant go to school, because carrying a backpack or sitting down and getting up again just isn't comfortable, and so now i have to make up todays work, and if i'm not at school tomorrow, then that would be 2 days worth of work.

who knew that something as simple as drying your hair could mess up your neck.

has anybody had this sort of thing happen to them? if so, how long did it take to go away?

MedicDVG
04-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Its a condition known as torticolis or "wry neck". Moist heat, ibuprofen, and rest and you should be groovy in a day or so. If you get numbness or tingling, loose bowel or bladder control, or have pains shooting down into your lower back and legs, then get to a doctor immediately.

Warewolf50
04-13-2005, 07:28 PM
HAHAHA normally if i lost control of my bladder and or bowels i would be on the way to the doctor no matter what.

gimp
04-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Whew! Good thing I'm going bald.

I know how it feels to be useless though. It sucks. After my surgery my folks had to take down my top bunk because I couldn't even get into bed. I'll give you some advice though. Avoid food that gives you the runs. It turns into quite a chore when you can barely move.

Thordic
04-13-2005, 09:08 PM
You prolly just slept on it wrong. I've had that happen and it hurts pretty bad for a day or so. Sometimes it doesnt start hurting immediately after you get outta bed.

wanna-b-ballin'
04-13-2005, 10:01 PM
i can controll my bowels still. my neck is feeling alot better, but still hurts and is kinda stiff feeling.
i didn't even think about climbing into bed. i sleep on the top bunk too. i'll probably have difficulty doing it too, cuz its really close to the ceiling.
i didn't sleep on it wrong, it hurt really bad all of a sudden. it wasn't like "jeez, my neck hurts". it was more like " oh:cuss: my neck :cuss: ouch."