PDA

View Full Version : X-mag grief

OneEyedPimp
04-13-2005, 06:33 PM
I know this is a little late, but I am a sad/mad that AGD stopped making the Xmag. I am just getting into the mag scene and I started seeing pics of the X-mag. I started doing some more research, and come behold, they stopped making them here in the USA. I wish I had some relatives in Europe. :cry:

Anyway, this is not a request for an xmag, I don't have money right now, but this is a request on specific info as to why the xmag is not being produced here in America anymore. Are they ever going to start making it again? Thanks.

:argh:

ApexAZ
04-13-2005, 06:35 PM
I think the main reason was they were to costly to make and they weren't profiting from them.

zackzel
04-13-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty sure they stopped making them everyone not just in america. Luckily I got my hands on one.

OneEyedPimp
04-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Then why in their europe section do they still advertise them?

CJ55
04-13-2005, 07:11 PM
The reason they stoped making Xmags and Emags is due to a Lawsuit from Smart Parts, AGD was using somthing in their electronics that was patent by SP and AGD didnt want to pay any profits to SP so they stoped making them.

Hope this is all correct and helpfull. And I wish they still make them also but its cool cause I got 2.

warbeak2099
04-13-2005, 07:12 PM
While I could say, "it's called the search button, use it!" I'll just go ahead and wrap the subject up. Xmags were discontinued because production costs were too high to turn a noticeable profit. They took long to make and took a lot of money to make. The profit margin was very slim.

It had little or nothing to do with Smart Parts.

CJ55
04-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Production value may be true but due to SP they stopped the EMag and XMags.

Maggot6
04-13-2005, 07:19 PM
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=167421&highlight=xmag
http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=165197&highlight=xmag

And when I was a new member I started =http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=159799&highlight=xmag

:)

trevorjk
04-13-2005, 07:20 PM
cj55 ill be the first to gladly say... shut up and get your facts straight :D

lord1234
04-13-2005, 07:21 PM
cj55, AGD never was even contacted by SP regarding any law suits...get your facts straight.

Skywalker
04-13-2005, 08:28 PM
cj55, AGD never was even contacted by SP regarding any law suits...get your facts straight.

Your right, AGD was smart enough to stop making X-mags before SP did contact them.

MrWallen
04-13-2005, 09:11 PM
They stopped making X-Mags waaaay before they stopped making E-Mags. they pre-emptively discontinued E-Mags in part due to the SP thing, but X-Mags had been out of the scene for a while.

OneEye, you can still buy new E-Mags from people like Tunaman, and they are just as good, if not better, than X-Mags (lighter anyays, that's the only real difference, and X-Mags have eyes).

JoshK
04-13-2005, 09:57 PM

I'll third that...get your facts strait...dont open your mouth again when someone asks a questions they want a real answer from until you do...then go ahead and open it. :)

dj89
04-13-2005, 10:54 PM
www.xmagworld.com

OneEyedPimp
04-14-2005, 12:53 AM
:wow:
Ok, now I am even more confused. If they stopped making the e-mag, why can you still order them from their site?

MadPSIence
04-14-2005, 01:09 AM
it's easy enough to build your own version of an X-Mag.

everyone please, quote me on this but..

If you have the tools; If you own and maintain a mag, you can easily build one with products from either AGD or Custom Mag makers.

Owning a mag usually means knowing it inside and out.. I bet 90% of paintball players (give or take whatever) don't have a clue what's going on in their guns.

I would bet 98% of mag owners have a profound knowledge of their gun after owning it for a short time.

Dayspring
04-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Actually, Tom told me that SP did send them a cease & desist order, but nothing more than that.

But that's not the reason.

AGD-Europe who owns the rights to the body design is now doing distribution for National Paintball. They just don't have the time to make the bodies like they used to. Also, the process of getting the bodies was rough, they'd get stuck in customs, they'd lose a few bodies in QA the first time, then after ano, they'd lose more. (Lose as in not be sell-able).

OneEyedPimp
04-14-2005, 12:41 PM
So it is true that AGDE is still producing the x-mag?

TheTramp
04-14-2005, 01:01 PM
To give cj55 some credit, Tom himself did say that the SP issues in the industry were one big reason AGD wouldn't be producing a new E-Marker.

shartley
04-14-2005, 01:24 PM
It seems that Tom says different things to different people. Dayspring states that Tom told him SP sent him a C&D letter yet openly here on AO more than once Tom stated without questions that SP didn’t contact him AT ALL. Personally, I will go with what Tom posted openly as the official and ONLY truth to the matter. And if anyone wants to question that, then they are calling Tom Kaye a bold faced… well, you get the idea.

No, sorry folks. I said it before, and I will say it again, AGD discontinued the E-series markers (to include the X-Mag) for reasons that would have caused them to do so even if there were no SP at all. As others have posted, the facts are posted by Tom himself on these forums and SP may be an added reason, it isn’t THE reason. To say they WERE the reason would be like saying you didn’t go paintballing one weekend because you don’t have the funds, you are not feeling well, you hurt your ankle, your car was in the shop, and it “might” rain… but it never did rain, yet you still blame “RAIN” as the big reason for not going.

Productions costs, low sales, import costs, old design, and market viability all lead to the end of E-series production for AGD. All of which were more important than SP and were factors eating away at AGD before SP even began legal actions against other companies.

As for AGDE not having the time to make them any more….. it seems to me that they also publicly debunked THAT statement as well. They claimed openly here on AO that they have no problems meeting any demand for the bodies and that their involvement with National Paintball did not affect X-Mag production one bit.

I guess it all depends on who you want to believe, someone who said someone said something to them, or what the actual parties involved posted publicly here on AO. Then again, there are those who just want to believe what they want to believe, no matter what the parties themselves posted… because it is more fun to blame “evil SP” for problems, even if they are not the ones responsible.

bound for glory
04-14-2005, 01:35 PM
so can i or can't i get an xmag body?

OneEyedPimp
04-14-2005, 01:48 PM
shartley- thanks for the info. Still makes me sad that I missed out on them. O well, when I have sufficient funds, I will try to find a used one for sale.

shartley
04-14-2005, 02:01 PM
shartley- thanks for the info. Still makes me sad that I missed out on them. O well, when I have sufficient funds, I will try to find a used one for sale.
No problem. I was not the only one in this thread who posted what I did though.

You may still be able to get one though since I see them up for sale from time to time. They are very nice markers indeed. It is a shame that they are indeed discontinued, but that is how things go sometimes. Of course that also means that it may affect the price as well…. making them more valuable. But keep your eyes open on the classified here and on E-Bay and I am sure you can snag one.

BigEvil
04-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Arguiing about the reason behind their demise will not bring them back.

All I know is that I am patiently waiting for some of the Smart Parts legal dust to settle which would allow AGD to produce something new. (Electro, that is)

I seems that the E-mag (and Xmag) were a little too late to be big hits. I hope next time AGD comes up with something a little more revolutionary than just a "M/E" lever.

JoshK
04-14-2005, 03:19 PM
I hope next time AGD comes up with something a little more revolutionary than just a "M/E" lever.

Well...I have yet to see it reproduced :)

AnimalMother
04-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I believe that the patent issue with SP was due to the reproduction and use of the solenoid within marker. The POSSIBILITY of a lawsuit was probably what made AGD stop producing the x-mag more than anything, including production costs. However, I don't think the situation escalated much more than a cease-and-desist order.

Athius
04-14-2005, 05:56 PM
Like Shartley and before him Tom said.

AGD discontinued emags and xmags beacuse the technology is old(which is absolutely true)and for not getting their asses on legal issues with SP.

OneEyedPimp
04-14-2005, 06:43 PM
Mabye a little of this will be resolved with this Dye lawsuit against SP.

omenowner
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
devilsden.tv has nice electric mags