PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to cast the first stone?

Darkstorm
04-15-2005, 01:24 PM
All sorry for the problems, but before you throw stones at Celebrity paintball, maybe you should ask questions.

I would like some other people to show a bit of faith in Mother, Pac, Tom, and the designated target (Shatner).

1) Where was the event supposed to be? – Astrodome: Not just the floor of the dome, but the WHOLE building, and the parking lot too.

2) How did anyone think that would really happen? – First everyone has to understand that the dome redevelopment project is alive and well. The general schedule is the company doing the project is supposed to take procession of the Astrodome after the rodeo but before Labor Day. After the rodeo, the dome is to go into a mothballs state. Demo of the interior of the dome can then take place starting after labor day and be completed before the grounds are needed for rodeo setup and planning starting in January.

Pacman had been through the dome, had verbal agreements that this was going to be allowed to happen from the at least one owner of the company doing the project, and had done more than anyone even said he should do in some of the posts here. He was told, they had control of the dome starting in mid-2005 so everything was good.

3) When did things happen? - Conversations about this started on this in April of 2004. A verbal agreement was reached in July, and a 15 page written proposal went to the county in August (just for their interim approval to allow the marketing of the event.). This included a complete marketing plan, safety, support for a couple of major companies, and at least two astronauts that had interest. September 2004, the day of the Shatner game, Pacman got to listen to a phone message that everything looked good.

Pacman had a verbal agreement from the company doing the dome redevelopment that the dome could be used for free (or just the cost of power) just before the start of demolition. After the game, demolition would start and even a full cleanup would not be necessary, just enough to ensure safety of the workers. All that was required was interim approval of the county.

4) So who was involved? – Unfortunately, I have the business relationship with the company and people involved, and I vouched for their creditability and their ‘stroke’ to make something happen. I was wrong.

There were a number of people involved, with a few key people walking through the dome. Pacman even got a few rounds off. Bill himself made some personal calls.

5) What happened? – Well, obviously the Kids at the charity got the very short end of a stick. Beyond that, one thing that was not good.

Initially, there was a plan to try to have everything approved BEFORE Shatnerball 3, but that was impossible on any schedule. The plan was that October and November were suppose to be the finalization of the getting everything in place to make this happen. It was also the time the redevelopment company was getting its final approval on the dome items. But, several emails and phone calls confirmed everything was okay. However, there was a problem with event planning company for the county not being very responsive.

As of the Texas Throwdown, everyone was worried, but a meeting was setup and a group of people walked through the dome. Pacman, Mother, and other had a face-to-face with everyone to make sure this was going to happen. The word was the head of all county activities was being involved, and a personal letter from Shatner was all that would be needed.

Realized as of December, one of the owners of the dome redevelopment said this was all okay, the LAST item required was a letter from Shatner, and everything would be done and could be announced for January. The head of all Harris county events was reported as to have said, “We are here to make things happen”. Additionally, a number of people had gotten access to the dome. Additionally, Pacman, Mother and others got to meet at least one ex-astronaut who also knew the people involved. However, while everyone believed this, Tom and Pacman still talked contingency plans.

The letter got done, but then went undelivered because the sponsor company came back and said, ‘Sorry we can not be involved, paintball does not have the right image, and we are worried people will think we are “trashing” the dome’. [But here is the name of the head of the scheduling company and he is waiting to here from you. If it is okay with them, then they would support it.]

Of course, no one could believe what they just heard. Pacman was much madder than any of you.

IMMEDIATELY new copies of the proposal went to the scheduling company, but the wanted to charge for everything through the use of county vendors, etc. The price so high that it was impossible to have a charity event.

6) SO who is to blame? – I obviously have to take some responsibility but at the same time, I have the first person to ever have let me down in business on my list.

Want to pop a few rounds at me, go ahead. Some others people, you should be nicer too.

7) Why should anyone on this board believe me? – Your choice.

Tassel Mask
04-15-2005, 04:17 PM
If what you said is all true, this game would have been one heck of an event. I mean the dome and everything. They had some great monster truck shows. Just reading your thread made my mouth drop. I had no actual idea of the scale this thing was going to be. I just thought they were gonna find another big park in some new area and play the same game as we always do.

I don't think people are here to take there agression out on anyone (not me anyway) I just want some direct explanation. The waiting and not knowing is whats hardest. Thanks for the info and watch out for the cops in Liberty Texas...they'll get you every time.

REMARK:
I'll bet if we had got Jole Olstein on our side we could have played in the Enron building.

T.M.

Tina
04-15-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the info Darkstorm...I'll post it on Bill's site.

Mike Smith
04-15-2005, 05:22 PM
Darkstorm.... It didn't happen. It didn't get done.... Where was the plan "B"?

Common sense demands a plan "B" when an attempt at something this ambitious is being planned. Seems like there is enough "buts" and "what ifs" and "what could have beens" to sink a battleship.

So who lost sight of the big picture?

Never mind.... It doesn't matter.

Nrtheastah
04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
I don’t post much, but I would like to comment here. I support the cause and was anxious to hear about when/where, etc. I also realize the logistics and concerns regarding setting up an event like this and have to say that in some cases, planning an event like this takes a significant amount of time and unforeseen things can crop up at any given point.

Unfortunately, the scenario at the ‘Dome didn’t work out and was not attributable to any one particular person or circumstance, rather it was a conglomerate of things.

I have seen a lot of hostility being vented towards Bill and others for things they had no direct responsibility for. We should be grateful that someone was still trying to set this up and even if it does not occur, it won’t have been because the effort wasn’t there.

Thanks to Bill, Tom, Tina, Darkstorm, and whoever had a hand in the previous events and I wish you the best in arranging the next one. If the worst-case scenario comes to pass and it doesn’t occur, there’s always next year. If the members of this board are as tight-knitted as they would have everyone else believe, then you should understand that things happen – events get delayed, cancelled, or otherwise changed all the time.

The bottom line is: Support the team that brought you the past events and understand when things don’t always work out the way it was intended. No one was deliberately trying to sabotage it or cover anything up. Details weren’t ready to be delivered until recently, and sometimes that’s the way it works.

I’ll be at the next one, wherever and whenever it happens to be.

msprince
04-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Can I hear an AMEN :clap:

Some people must have always gotten everything they wanted whenever they wanted because I think the word "Spoiled Brat" fits in with a lot of the negative comments.
It's all a big "How come you didn't have this, why didn't you do that, WAHHHHH!" Now I don't get what I want and I want it now :rofl:

Someday I'll make it to one of these events and when I do I'll make sure to let everyone know "WE" appreciate everything they do to get these things together :clap:

Stephanie Prince(ss)
MXS Publicist
"The Cookie Lady"
Co-Captain Battle Born

Mike Smith
04-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Stephanie;
This is basic business 101.

A smart promoter will go for the glory, but have a back-up plan, in case the once in a life-time plan falls through.

A dumb one won't.

Glickman
04-15-2005, 10:37 PM
Some people must have always gotten everything they wanted whenever they wanted because I think the word "Spoiled Brat" fits in with a lot of the negative comments.
It's all a big "How come you didn't have this, why didn't you do that, WAHHHHH!" Now I don't get what I want and I want it now :rofl:

cynical much?

i was personally not happy because of the time restrictions of getting days off at work, as well as the time restrictions of getting air transportation and hotel rates at a decent rate.

which im sure bothers other people as well

1 month difference could mean a plane ticket of $150 or $450

it also makes a much bigger difference on a high schoolers pay :rolleyes:

personally, i wouldnt have had a problem with any 'ol decent sized outdoor field as the '05 game. but time is a problem for many people

Nrtheastah
04-15-2005, 10:40 PM
Mike,

While I agree that contingency plans have their place in business, I’m not sure that switching venues for a massive 1000+ player celebrity paintball game is hardly what is considered to be business 101. Major events, inside and outside of paintball get rescheduled and cancelled and there are few contingencies that can be incorporated into the plan due to the complexity involved.

All I’m saying is that even in business, plans fail and sometimes there is little that can be done. In this case, support was withdrawn for whatever reason and to simply say that there should have been an alternate plan or site is not within reason. Unless you have ever planned for such an event, please don’t assume it’s such an easy matter to have another plan ready to go at a moment’s notice.

As far as planning goes, I believe that the decision makers are doing all that can be done under the circumstances. The plan hit some unexpected snags, and the inviduals involved are working to set something else up. Instead of criticizing, be patient and show your support for them.

Glickman,

I agree that travel plans may have been seriously affected. However, consider the alternative. If they had made the announcement before all details were set in stone, and a majority of the players had already made their arrangements, how do you think thet would have reacted if they had to cancel their flights, hotel reservations, etc? Ever try to get a refund and discover that you bought non-refundable tickets?

As disappointed as you may be, it would have been far worse had they prematurely announced when/where and then have the plans cave in.

Rick-USA
04-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Darkstorm I have to give you credit where it's due. When you first mentioned this so many many months ago I was shocked to say the least. Having lived in Harris County for a number of years now I have to say this sounds a lot like typical county business. Make promises to people verbally but when it comes down to the bottom line use another agency within your group as the scapegoat.

As far as having a backup plan. I have to agree with Nrtheastah on this one. To have a backup for an event of this size would require you asking another venue to at the least pencil you in. I don't know of many venues that would have the facilities to handle something this size that would just do that ruining any chance of having any other business that weekend.

Tassel Mask
04-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Hey Rick, remember when Kingwood got annexed into Houston back in I'd say 99? Harris County really pulled a job over on us.

Other than that, isn't there a back up plan in the works as we speak? I am under the impression there will be another event later in the year. Help me out anyone; am I right?

I mean the event lives on beyond the hold up, thats what matters.

T. M.

Trips
04-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Is there a plan B? A good question to be sure. Who says there isn't one? None of the principal people involved in Celebrity Paintball have made a public statement outside of Shatner. Gang, I've got news for you...Shatner is the face/target. He does not put this whole game on. How much paintball experience do you think he really has? While I applaud his efforts and energies, I know that the real work behind the "Shatner Game" is done by others.

This is what I do know for sure...a lot of people put a lot of effort, personal time and expended a ton of energy to try and make the Astrodome a reality, but in the end red tape killed a great dream. So, it leaves the question "Is there a plan B?” Unfortunately, I am not a liberty to say.

But what I can say is that Mother, Pacman, Tom Kaye are extremely good business people.

I can say this also, I have read posts by people that I have come to respect as players and as friends that have made me shake my head in shame. All because apparently, the answers that you desire are not forthcoming when you want them, or are not the answers you want to hear. Certainly, some of the attitudes can do nothing but encourage the efforts of those involved in Celebrity Paintball to continue to spend time and energy to appease such a supporting and vocal crowd. But I also see a lot of vehemence directed towards the production company itself. Several people have posted innuendos, mathematical calculations and just outright falsities about the previous charity games, and that just really chaps my cookies.
To a point where some individuals who have posted are bragging about their taking shots at the folk putting on the game on other boards. This event is a charity game benefitting kids who would never be afforded opportunities without some of the monetary benefits derived from this event and others similar to it. Yes, I am aware that a horse show is not a paintball event and that there are vast differences. But the common denominator is that both are for a pretty good charity. Somewhere down the line some of you seemed to have lost sight of that ultimate goal ... for whatever reason.

Glickman
04-17-2005, 10:12 PM
shatner isnt really to blame, but hell need an army of khans to stop him from getting bonus balled

i can see it now

Get your mag deviled free to the first who makes him convulse :D

Mike Smith
04-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Trips:
You can name names... You aren't gonna hurt anyone's "feelings". I don't like getting "played" for 8 months, so I'll express my thoughts on the matter. Big plans can fall, that's why backup plans are important. BTW, when Shatner stated the charity only netted $17,000, I did do some math and noted that there was something wrong. Tom validated my math by reminding me and Bill of the $10,000+ that the 100 Club received. My mathematical conclusions were accurate. When I dump $800 attending a charity game, I want to be sure there is no funny business with the charity money.

Rick:
Is Paintball USA available for Shatnerball on Labor Day? I know y'all can handle 1000 people with some room to spare and your field would be great for the game.

Nudi
04-18-2005, 09:33 AM
I've never posted on the AO forums before, but I feel the need now.

I can say this also, I have read posts by people that I have come to respect as players and as friends that have made me shake my head in shame.

Bobby, when did people posting their opinions become something shameful to you? Did you email those it concerns and tell them this? I doubt it, but you had no qualms voicing your opinions concerning their opinions or what they did....should I be ashamed of you? Or are you going to be ashamed of me too? :(

Since when did not agreeing with the ViPs involved (and yes, Bobby you ultimated the event last year, so your views are kinda jaded now) open you up for target practice on these boards? Granted, posting on any board opens you up to a world of criticism (so feel free to flame me, if you so desire) but none of the people who are anxious and upset about this whole subject are people who WEREN'T coming to the game...so keep that in mind. These were people who had the audacity to try to PLAN this game into their hectic lives and schedules, so please tread lightly on their concern. I mean, it's all about the game to them, right? The average player? You're damn right it is....

And paintball players are fickle, don't forget that! I mean, it's great if my money goes to charity, but have no doubts I came to play. If it was just about the charity, I'll mail a check!

These could be people who have limited budgets and time constraints. Or people (like the very shameful Mike Smith) who for the past couple of years has constructed an entire vacation around this one game. I'd say that's rather flattering to Celebrity Paintball. And I don't blame Mike for being upset about having his vacation pulled out from under him at the last minute.

I read Mike's posts and didn't get the feeling at all that he was 'bragging' about taking shots at 'those putting on the game.' Mike just isn't that way. What I did gather was that he was well aware that he probably hadn't won any popularity contests here at AO by posting what he posted. Well, thank God this isn't a popularity contest....or is it?

Mostly I think Mike is entitled to his opinion and by attending the game twice out of three years has earned it. He has more credibility to me than someone who has never attended (and while anyone can have an opinion, I can chose whether or not I view it as meaningful to me).

There are people who don't like Pat and Diane McKinnon (the partial owners of Celebrity Paintball, not the owners of MXS) and will seem to blame them. There are people who don't like Tom Kaye (the partial owner of Celebrity Paintball, not the former president of AGD) and will seem to blame him. There seem to be a lot of people who don't like Shatner (another partial owner of Celebrity Paintball) and will seem to blame him. Personally, I have no problems with any of the parties involved and wish them well in their Celebrity Paintball endeavors.

Are they to blame? Only they know for sure, but that doens't mean we will ever know. That end of business just isn't our...well, business. But that doesn't mean we won't ask. And that doesn't mean we won't voice our displeasure. That end of business is...well, business too. And in the end, we are still consumers who have been promised a product that didn't materalize, for whatever reason.

So, those of you who feel the need to fall on your swords for Pat and/or Diane, Tom or Bill, go right ahead. But keep it real...and do it in the name of Celebrity Paintball...not MXS, not AGD, and not Star Trek. :p Try to keep the personal attacks (and defends) out of it, for the betterment of the discussion (but expect that they will come and take them for what they are).

Does that mean I just attacked Bobby? No, but I wonder if he will think so. Nah, he knows me better than that. Besides I still see the player in Bobby, which is why he makes a good ultimate.

Just my thoughts....

Barrie 'Nudi' Reid
Thunderstruck Scenario Team
Editor, Scenario News

(The views expressed above are mine and mine alone, just an average female scenario paintballer at the top of her game. :) They do not express the views of Thunderstruck Scenario Team, Scenario News, paintball players in general, women in the world, the great state of Texas, or my dog, Milo. If you don't like them or agree, well...I just don't know what to tell ya!)

Tassel Mask
04-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Nudi, very good reply. Well maintained, balanced; where did you earn your degree?

Obviously if people read the threads posted on this event from the last half of the year, its very easy to see the roller coaster ride of emotion and personal expectation for 2005. Nudi, I like how you at one point looked at the event as a consumer and a paintaball player. I think that condensed the last 7 months in one post.

Some of your points however I must strongly disagree with I don't agree with: "paintball players are fickle"

Fick-le: adj. Deceitful, inconsistent, akin to deceive, befician to deceive, to irk and probe: marked by lack of steadfastness, constancy, or stability: given to erratic and even perverse changeableness.
Synonyms: Inconsistent

Receptor-mediated Endocytosers would be a more accurate phrase for the paintball player don't you think? To call them "fickle" to me is just silly.

Other than that, I think you should post more often Nudi, your are well spoken use colorful wording. Thanks for the post.

T.M.

Rick-USA
04-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Some of your points however I must strongly disagree with I don't agree with: "paintball players are fickle"

Fick-le: adj. Deceitful, inconsistent, akin to deceive, befician to deceive, to irk and probe: marked by lack of steadfastness, constancy, or stability: given to erratic and even perverse changeableness.
Synonyms: Inconsistent

T.M.

I have to agree with her calling paintball players fickle. In general paintball players are an inconsistent group. They may not be fickle in other areas of life but where this sport is concerned they sure are.

As far as Bobby taking offense to your post Barrie, we both know the real answer to that question. It's about as likely to happen as you not getting 20 request for "berries" at the next event you show up at. :)

Mike, I've heard that part of the reason this event has been held in the north was to get away from as much of the heat as possible. Sept where we live is still considered mid summer most years and it doesn't look like this one will be any different.

Nudi
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm finishing up my Master's at the University of Texas at Arlington.

Two posts, in one day...who would have figured! :D

I appreciate the postive response to my post, but still fully expect negative response as well. I don't care, really. People can post what they will (as long as it falls into moderated specs of the board they are posting on).

And while I respect your right to disagree, I still say paintballers are very fickle. And your definition just reinforced it: inconsistent; lack of steadfastness, constancy or stability; given to erratic and even perverse changableness.

I play scenario paintball, where players are fickle at best. Now, I don't want to sound like I'm knocking scenario paintballers (being one myself, I fail to see how that would be wise) but they are prone to fickleness.

One week they are staunch Black Cat supporters, next week they are backing Viper, and the week after that possibly MXS, Nocer, TAW, MMP...the list goes on and on. They promise to make this game (and don't) and say they will never play this producer's games (and do) and say "So and so will never see one dime of my money" only to get in bed with said producer if it means a game close to their hometown or if they get a 'finder's fee' for providing a field. They complain about paint, porta-potties, venues, referees, field owners, other players and teams (all justified, taken individually and situationally) and may or may not show up again regardless of whether said problems are fixed or not (you just never know).

Would unpredictable have been a better word? Or maybe just inconsistent? Gee, all synonyms for fickle.... ;)

And I understand that. People should get what they pay for. Especially if they are out a grand and over half way across the country just to play the game. If they don't, then they get to choose how to handle it: complain, smack people down on boards, send emails, talk to friends, or vote with their pocketbook.

receptor-mediated endocytosers I happen to be in health-care, so it's funny to me you used this as a way to describe paintballers. Now, I understand what you are saying in reference to the internalization of (in this case) emotions, feelings, thoughts, due to the interaction of (in this case) the person and their environment, but it's missing one thing: there have to be special receptors involved; receptors that are specifically targeted. So, in this context, you'd have to be trying to 'push buttons' for this to apply. Besides it's a molecular process, bound by certain laws (meaning, if any material (key) presents itself to the right cell (lock) and there is room, it will always be let in) ...and in no way is the human condition bound to such laws.

In other words, I can tell you all day that I wasn't silly when I chose the work fickle; it's up to you to either listen to what I have to say and change your mind, or stay true to your first declaration of my 'silliness.' :rofl:

I hope no one is deliberately trying to push buttons either...

Appreciate the invite to post more often, but I try to just watch and read. It's easier that way...

(BTW, for all you non-medical types, receptor mediated endocytosis is a process describing how cells internalize material, nutrients, molecules or viruses. As its name implies, it depends on the interaction of that molecule with a specific binding protein in the cell membrane called a receptor.)

Tassel Mask
04-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Hey Rick, if you believe that I actually think calling paintball players fickle is silly, you obviously don't understand my sense of humor. because as we all know Receptor-mediated Endocytosers is not the slightest silly; silly. :rofl:

Tassel Mask
04-18-2005, 03:41 PM
Absolutley the best post since the last Nudi. The great thing about being "super smart" as I declare myself, is that humor morphs beyond observation into calculation.

I must state: Binding of a ligand by a cell surface protein stimulates the cell to draw the ligand in a vesical. Ligand is a bio chemical.

If we use symbolism, we can apply this to paintball players.

Oh the joy of having a complex matrix; not to mention using it. I'm glad you found my post amusing Nudi; until next time.

"so it's funny to me you used this as a way to describe paintballers" you should hear what I call Professors.

T.M.

Mike Smith
04-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Mike, I've heard that part of the reason this event has been held in the north was to get away from as much of the heat as possible. Sept where we live is still considered mid summer most years and it doesn't look like this one will be any different.

Rick:
I have an old Tippmann ProAm that we can sacrifice on the speedball field and I think I can convince Rev Splatter to pray for a cold front on the Friday before Labor Day.

If that's not enough, I'll donate my 24' Travel trailer for Bill's exclusive use over Labor day, so he will have a private "kool-down" area. I'll even pop for the $1500 Yamaha generator to insure uninterrupted koolness.

And yes, I noticed you side-stepped my question....

Oh, and thanks for the post Nudi. You nailed it...

Tassel Mask
04-18-2005, 04:54 PM
Why is it the only person who can psychoanalyze my humor is the one who doesn't like to post? Hows that for irony. You will be missed.

T.M.

Rick-USA
04-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Mike, I wasn't trying to side step your question at all. If you want a direct answer I'll attempt that. Since I'm not a principal owner of the business and only function as the manager of the place I can only give you my opinion and which way I'd try to influence the owners. IF offered the chance to host this event I'd do my best to make sure the field and support staff were in place so that all could have a great time.

msprince
04-18-2005, 10:41 PM
For any one who knows me they know I say what I say because that's what I feel. I don't defend people who don't deserve it and I'm definitely NOT fickle. I've been playing paintball for a mere 4 years BUT have made a lot of friends doing so and wouldn't trade any of that time for anything. I've played the promoters that have come out here, MXS, BlackCat, MPP, and TAW. I've enjoyed all the games good or bad and have only once had anything to complain about but STILL chose not to because unexpected things happen, it wouldn't have changed anything. I will play all of them again when and if given the opportunity. Since I live in NEVADA and help take care of my family of 8 I have had a hard time affording a trip to Shatnerball YET. BUT I will say I have lived vicariously through the posts here and I'm happy to do so until I can make it to one.
I am in GREAT hopes that they have it out here on the West Coast. I am in GREAT hopes to meet those of you who are AVID Shatnerball fans and alumni. Hey I'll even supply the goodies :) I just thank my lucky stars everyday that we live in a country where no matter what we can state an opinion whether it is agreed with or not and listen to others opinions and disagree if we please. Take offense if you wish, I don't, it's all just playful banter really :p But I will say this one more time..... Thank you Celebrity Paintball for all that you do and try to do, for attempting great things and admitting set backs , for spending your gratis time on putting events together even though some of us po folks can't attend! :headbang:

Stephanie Prince(ss)
MXS Publicist/Staff Writer/ Photographer
"The Cookie Lady"
Co-Captain Battle Born

Mike Smith
04-19-2005, 06:10 AM
IF offered the chance to host this event I'd do my best to make sure the field and support staff were in place so that all could have a great time.

Good answer, Rick, although it's a bit understated.

Folks, for those of you who do not know about Paintball USA, it is a 100+ acre field in Houston that plays better than CPX in Joliet. It is nowhere near as elaborate ($6 milliion was not spent on the field), but it is much better when it comes to actually playing the game. Several scenario teams have built elaborate structures/forts/bases on the field, incorporating what they know about paintball into the playability of those structures. And their ref staff is the best I've seen. That's why I consider Rick's answer to be "understated".

Tassel Mask
04-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Hey Houston Texas ballers., what about my home field Adventure Village? They had a real APC and a burned out copter. But thats just smoke and mirror. Gotta support the home field. Only problem is that it was located (If I remember correctly on FM1960) which is a mess to drive on.

Rick-USA
04-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Is Adventure village still open? I'd heard through the gossip mill that they had closed down.

Mike, thanks for the kind words. We are a field ran by players who try our best to give other players what they want to play on. It's been a combined effort put forth by many paintball players over the years to get to where we are now.

Trips
04-19-2005, 05:02 PM
I guess I will try to address both Mike and Nudi’s in one post, mainly because I am a poor typist and because I am at work. I am ashamed because it, at least, appears that because a game is not able to take place people are lashing out in frustration over vacation plans that were made prior to the any official word on venue or date. I was the Ultimate for last year’s event, but I was just a contract employee for the event. My personal interests in the game ended after the final battle.

Having played the event the first year, and serving as the events Ultimate Judge in the third year, I can say with some serious resolve that while PBUSA could easily host the event, I would not recommend that the event be held there. With the amount of heat injuries I dealt with at the last event, well Houston in Early September is just not an option IMHO. Mike, I, and quite a large contingent of Texas played the first event, and were literally giddy with the cool temperatures we experienced in the Joliet area. We commented on the “locals” who were complaining of the heat, it was 80 degrees. I mean no offense towards any of the northern players here, but Nudi and Mike will attest to the heat in south Texas during that time of year. It takes time to get acclimated to this type of heat. Frankly I just don’t see it as being safe.

I do not begrudge anyone their opinion. You just have to take my word on that if you do not know me personally, but I think Nudi and Mike will tell you I am pretty much a straight shooter when it comes to speaking my mind. Perhaps I read more into some posts than was really there, then again maybe not. Two separate explanations offered by Darkstorm, and by Tom seemed to be disregarded with a “Yea, but …” type of attitude. Is that the real state of affairs that our segment of the sport is coming too? Is an honest explanation of what transpired in the months since the last game not good enough to sate the exasperation of disappointment? I know that disappointment can suck but it still was announced nearly five months prior to the regular event date.
I knew about the Astrodome deal way before last year’s event, I am not bragging or trying to pound my chest with insider knowledge, just stating a fact. I kept my mouth shut out of respect for the principals involved, and the work they were doing behind the scenes. Not to mention getting everyone’s hopes up without proper info.
Whether you hate the persons behind Celebrity Paintball, love them, or do not care one way or the other, you have to at least give them props for trying the impossible.
No one playing today wanted that game to happen more than I did. It would have marked the realization of a 22 year old dream for me.

Now before someone thinks Nudi is bashing me, you should know I have known her for as long as I have been playing scenarios. Nudi and I are friends and will remain so. How we met is one of the great campfire legends of Texas.

Nudi stated I still remember being a player and that’s what makes me a good Ultimate Judge. She is right, in that statement. But it goes even deeper for me in that I do not have many peers left still playing so I guard the game itself as much as I am able to on my watch. If that sounds a little melodramatic … well it is not intended to but it is the way I feel about the sport. Sometimes that love of the game will cloud my rational.

Mike I did not name names because I did not see a point in dissecting every post of disappointed players. Was my original post directed at you … yes part of it was. I will make no bones about it. But it was also directed at everyone that seemed upset that a game not officially announced nor officially scheduled was to be rescheduled … albeit prematurely by Mr. Shatner.

BTW Plan B is pretty cool … sometimes inside info can be nice. :headbang:

I am also the Ultimate Judge for a national paintball production company. But these opinions are mine and not representative of anyone other than me and maybe the voices in my head … although they are disavowing themselves of any knowledge of this conversation.
May the Penguins be kind to you!

Mike Smith
04-19-2005, 06:18 PM
Trips, I guess I just didn't understand the secrecy. Why? It would have been totally reasonable to state that MXS was attempting to get a game at the Astrodome. A little explanation of "Geez, this looks REAL difficult, but guess what we're trying to do" would have gone far to explain the process. I don't see the need for the "mystery" and the teasing for the last 7-8 months.

Also, I understand that you are speaking as Trips, the player and not Trips, the MXS Ultimate, but how do you separate the two? You are you.

Am I ticked off about the game not happening on Labor Day? Yea...but I'll get over it.
As to PB USA on Labor Day, I want it there. It would give me and the rest of the Texans a distinct advantage. I'm all for that!

However.... If plan "B" involves a game on October 8 & 9, you and everyone else will see my "dark side". No one reading this has seen my "dark side". No one reading this EVER wants to see my "dark side".
Just an FYI...

Trips
04-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Mike I thought we saw your dark side over by Mancows Suv the first year!!! Sorry but you have to see the picture to understand.

Me is me, I am I, Trips is still Bobby. For the most part the two personas are very very similar. But Geez Mike you know me well enough to see the change when I am in full blown "Trips Mode". :tard:
I suppose I should have seperate screename, but then again I did pretty good getting this one to work and hate to jinx my luck. ....thud!

Mike Smith
04-19-2005, 08:14 PM
No, Bobbie.... The Mancow SUV "address" was my playful, devious side...

To give you a clue... Remember when you have "confronted" blatant cheaters on the playing field? {Yea... I've covered your back a time or two} Multiply that by a factor of 100. You're close to my "dark side". There might be 10 people on this planet that have actually seen that side of me.

And Bobby, I know you have to be you... right or wrong... You have to be you.... {What was the next line of that song?}|