PDA

View Full Version : Re-anodizing X-valve??

bushmasterm16a2
04-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Can you re-anodize the x-valve? Has anybody tried this? What steps do you take?

master_alexander
04-15-2005, 04:03 PM
from what i have heard it is mostly uncessful to do that, and tunaman can do it. so talk to him.

Skywalker
04-15-2005, 04:07 PM
You can definately do it, but it is not recommended. The tolerences are extremely important and can't be compromised. You could try taking off the first anno and then annodizing it, that way the layers of anno don't build up.

SlartyBartFast
04-15-2005, 04:09 PM
You can definately do it, but it is not recommended. The tolerences are extremely important and can't be compromised. You could try taking off the first anno and then annodizing it, that way the layers of anno don't build up.

Uhm... You can't re-anno without stripping.

The problem is it is impossible to remove and then add back the exact same amount of material.

For something with such specific tolerances, you'll only be successful if you start with a raw part that is machined and toleranced for the desired anno finish.

Skywalker
04-15-2005, 04:14 PM
Well I have def. heard of people that have re-annoed their valve and not had any problems. Both stripping the valve and not stripping before the process. It may not work all the time, but there is a chance.

rkjunior303
04-15-2005, 04:41 PM
Tuna's done it.

PM him and talk to him about it.

Codekevin0403
04-15-2005, 05:43 PM
what about the stock x-valves? don't they come in different colors? so that way they must be able to be re-anoed right?

or maybe it's like what slarty said and they started with a raw part..
yeah that's probably it.

Timmee
04-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Well I have def. heard of people that have re-annoed their valve and not had any problems. Both stripping the valve and not stripping before the process. It may not work all the time, but there is a chance.

You cannot anno over a previous anno layer. The previous anno layer has to be stripped off to expose the aluminum underneath, before it can be re-annoed. SlartyBartFast already said this.

MicroMiniMe
04-16-2005, 10:15 AM
You can do it. It is not recommended.
Have it done by a paintball professional anodizer. They can't guarantee it won't throw off tolerances. It will void the warantee.

That being said, valves are pretty tough. Any tolerance changes should not be drastic. It might be akin to changing the lenght of the on/off pin.

I think Tunaman has access to raw valves and thats why he gets custom colors. Myself and a small few others have had stock X-valves reanodized. I didn't notice a difference. I'm also not a trained tech and I only used it a few moths after before selling it. So I don't know any long term affects.

Dayspring
04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
The reason that the stock Xvalves come in colors is because they have the raw valves ano'd that color.

Tuna's the only dealer that is allowed to get the raw valve, ano it and then send it to AGD for laser engraving.

That's the part you will lose, your factory warranty & laser engraving, when you get a valve re-ano'd

trev_pbller
04-17-2005, 09:06 AM
That's what people don't understand with a gun like mine, Nick...Tuna can only do this stuff with raw parts he can only get. But... I do have an orange X-valve with a Tuna on it I'd sell you..I promise there's probably not another orange valve out there :D I mean, ya know, for a small price ;)

trevorjk
04-18-2005, 03:03 PM
my friend had his annoed hot pink... looks awesome and works great, (ill get pics when i can) i am also going to be doing my valve a bright almost neon green when i get some extra cash.

the problem with re-anno'ing your valve is that when you strip and anno your valve again you actually increase the tolerances. normally the orings will take up the extra space and you wont notice the difference in tolerance, if so be prepared to do some extra tuning with orings