PDA

View Full Version : Problem Filling Co2 Tanks

tagurit
04-16-2005, 04:56 PM
I've got a deluxe fill station, scale, 100lb. tank with a siphon tube. However, when I fill around 10-15 tanks I'm unable to put more than 5 oz. in any size tank? It's like they've got equal pressure? I can turn the fill tank upside down, or on it's side, I can chill and exhaust the tanks nothing helps? I'm looking for any help at all? I'm almost tempted to get a couple of the 20lb. tanks to use? Thanks...

AnArchist_1944
04-17-2005, 12:46 AM
the CO2 tanks (the ones your trying to fill) have to be cold, and make sure the tank your filling from got a dip tube and the valve on the tank is all the way open.

try sticking the tank your trying to fill in the freezer for 15 mins or fill the tank with 2-4oz and then drain it then fill it, it should fill full.

BTW, Welcome 2 AO

Number13
04-17-2005, 09:15 AM
How often has this problem occured? Is this the first tank you've done fills off of, or is it a problem even when you switch to a different 100 lb tank?

I've seen it before where an industrial tank will be delivered that's not full--and if that's the problem, you just need to rent a new one.

Another consideration would be ambient temperature. If somehow you're in a rather cold area, it chills down the CO2 in the 100 lb tank so it won't expand into the pb tank. Do not use a blow torch or something to test this, just move it to a warmer room and let it sit for awhile.

I'm assuming you have the pin valve opened on the pb tank when you try to fill--though I have seen people forget to do that and wonder when only a few ounces get into the tank.

When you chill the tanks, about how cold do they get? Is there frost formation on the outside? If you shake it a couple times, do you hear a clinking (that would be solid CO2 that froze in the tank)? If there's a clink, you need to let that warm up a little and then exhaust it--if you fill with it it 1) throws off your tare weight, and 2) could lead to overpressurization of the pb tank as that solid phase shifts to liquid or gas.

Is there a leak in your fill setup or the tank valve? This can rapidly deplete the pressure in a tank, as well as be potentially hazardous to operate with.