PDA

View Full Version : a little idea from a labtop

Codekevin0403
04-17-2005, 08:56 PM
first of all, i'm a 15 year old kid, so i'm not exactly the brightest person ever.

But...today i was playing around with my labtop, just got it today. And the little, i don't know how to say it, but the mousey clicky thing, where you drag your finger and it moves the cursor, well it was extremely responsive. And my friends were playing paintball today and everytime they play they always ask people to use their guns in order to find the absolute best trigger ever. So i came up with an idea, what if the trigger was in fact one of those mouse things? That way, it would eliminate the need for the trigger to move back and forth, and you could shoot much faster. It would be the lightest trigger pull that a paintball gun could acheive, because, well it's not a trigger pull, it's a surface when all you have to do is give it a slight touch. So my idea would be to replace the trigger into a stationary surface, in which there is that mouse thing, and link it to a board that would register the touch as a trigger pull. Do you guys think this would work? And if it does, would it cost-effective? would you be able to profit on that?

Jakedubbleya
04-17-2005, 10:33 PM
def could work, heard it thrown around a lot before... touch-sensitive surfaces have become pretty compact commonplace items. The biggest prob would be having the gun go off all the time, and it would prolly be tourney illegal, so you could never play with the trigger frame in a tournament since you obviously couldnt just switch it to a tourney mode seeing as you lack the trigger that makes it tourney legal. (although i can def see future angels with "touch sensitive mode" triggers you can lock in place then unlock to use for a tourney.)

Even if you safety mechanism it tho so that you say tap it three times or something and it unlocked/locked, there would still be a lot of rougue paintballs flying around the field.

Glickman
04-17-2005, 11:49 PM
been brought up before, and already patented by smart parts.

not practical, and its also illegal in tourntaments

sorry :p

93civiccpe
04-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Also, if you are wearing a glove those things don't register, along with being wet. If they get wet then it's pretty much over. I also know how finnicky these things are as I have to work with them in the business I'm in. Not a bad idea though and it would be an interesting project. I know one person who did that and made it so that if you dragged your finger it would shoot full auto.

Codekevin0403
04-18-2005, 09:34 AM
well i bet you could make something like an emag style hybrid, like maybe have the trigger stationary in one mode using the touch-sensitive screen, and when switched into another mode, it could be a full mech or electric pull legal in tourneys. But i dunno, just a thought.

And also, smart parts patented it? God, they patent everything...i guess i'm glad they got sued by DYE...

Glickman
04-18-2005, 04:19 PM
what, because they thought to patent it they should get sued?

why wasnt any other company out patenting it? because alot ofther companies dont have the smart business sense to think of the future

as ive sais before, its pretty dangerous, an accidental pull or a drop, and the thing could go full auto. thats all you need, an angry active parent trying to get paintball banned because her son is covered in welts that dont need to be there.

much less leway for accidental pulls.

Jakedubbleya
04-18-2005, 05:26 PM
what, because they thought to patent it they should get sued?

why wasnt any other company out patenting it? because alot ofther companies dont have the smart business sense to think of the future

as ive sais before, its pretty dangerous, an accidental pull or a drop, and the thing could go full auto. thats all you need, an angry active parent trying to get paintball banned because her son is covered in welts that dont need to be there.

much less leway for accidental pulls.

^agreed on all points

Also, if you are wearing a glove those things don't register, along with being wet. If they get wet then it's pretty much over. I also know how finnicky these things are as I have to work with them in the business I'm in. Not a bad idea though and it would be an interesting project. I know one person who did that and made it so that if you dragged your finger it would shoot full auto.

As for the glove thing, no, not all touch screens are heat sensitive. in fact i believe most arent (stylus anybody?).

and as for getting wet, surely that would not break it with correct water-proofing, but it might complicate working it if its covered in liquid.

wad04
04-18-2005, 10:16 PM
laptop

Codekevin0403
04-19-2005, 05:56 PM
the smart parts thing was just a little sarcasm...

RazorMonkey
04-21-2005, 03:54 PM
laptop
lol you beat me to it... That was driving me nuts :D

Hexis
04-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Think of the 3rd gen iPods, they have buttons that do not move in any way. I think that would be a good way to do it. No need to track finger movement, just a press.

undescriptive
04-25-2005, 04:52 PM
I believe Piezo plates might be what you are looking for...
I might be wrong though ;)

BassMan257
04-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Ill make sure to patent the transistor... it should be good for the future...

I think pattening something just for the heck of a "monopoly" on the market is not only wrong and Immoral but sisnister and greedy

you should tell them to pattent some sort of "ultralight material" just incase they want to make the "future" jersy... Lets also make sure we pattent barrel porting, and using Nitrogen...

Why do that? why? sure, youll make alot of money, but cant you actually think of the future of paintball? why keep it from everyone else? Im probibly never going to buy a gun with a touch pad just for that reason, and Im utterly disgusted in the way smartparts runs its bisnuess, Money is not the only that can help a company, good customer sirvice, and relyable guns is a great thing to have, It just dosent seem important to them...

I have nothing aganist the guns, just the company, I just hate the leadership, and the politcal problems... its to annoying for me...

anyway, ive thought about touch screen pads before, and I wonder how much it would cost for a company to make it... It would be interesting to know... a good saftey device would be a trigger, one that actually drops down... you could still use the trigger for torunements, and then take it off for rec or practice... the trigger would just simply touch the pad, and could be taken out so your fingers could touch it... and a safety would be a 10 second hold on the trigger, or better yet, having to hold down a mode button on the frame or something...

thats it.. for tournies a trigger that can be removed... and after a minute of unactivity, your gun automaticly goes into safe mode, and you have to hold down the button for 5 seconds to get the trigger to function....

sounds like a good idea to me, to bad its friggin patented...

68magOwner
04-30-2005, 01:28 AM
not legal, really hard to keep rythm with (compared to todays triggers), just not good

Glickman
04-30-2005, 10:57 AM
Why do that? why? sure, youll make alot of money, but cant you actually think of the future of paintball? why keep it from everyone else? Im probibly never going to buy a gun with a touch pad just for that reason, and Im utterly disgusted in the way smartparts runs its bisnuess, Money is not the only that can help a company, good customer sirvice, and relyable guns is a great thing to have, It just dosent seem important to them...

this is the last time ill say this..

Smart parts is a smart business. They have GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE. How? ive contacted them with any problem or question i had in the last six years. NEVER a problem. By chance? Not over 6 years it is. They have REALIABLE GUNS. Its idiots without common sense that take apart markers for no reason or without sufficient technical knowledge that give smart parts a bad reputation. Oil a hammer once a blue moon, or lube a bolt once a month, thats all it takes.

2002 Smart Parts Hor. Impulse
2003 Smart Parts Vert. Impulse
2003 Smart Parts Ultimate Shocker
2005 Smart Parts Ion

ive not had one problem with the impulses, yet they are over 3 years old. Havent done a thing to them. Now theres quality i expect in paintball. The shocker? I blew the solenoid due to airing it up, forgetting to turn down the reg, sent it back for them to install, got it done within 5 days, done. Ion, no problems. dropped more then a crackhead mother drops her baby.

Smart parts has been able to improve their technology and research other marker possibilites because the have the business sense, many other companies DO NOT. If you dont not secure your place in ANY industry finacially, how will you ever expand your product line?

Im udderly disgusted by ignorant people who dont like how Smart Parts is run. Go to freaking north vietnam if you dont want competition. I would GUARENTEE that if AGD has secured itself with better business practices, that you would see new products out.

are your really promoting communism? :p

slade
05-26-2005, 06:44 PM
Think of the 3rd gen iPods, they have buttons that do not move in any way. I think that would be a good way to do it. No need to track finger movement, just a press.
that and you wont have to worry about the water issue. i found a friends i-pod outside in the pouring rain, totally soaked, and it worked fine.

not legal, really hard to keep rythm with (compared to todays triggers), just not good
what i was going to say.

InHuman
05-30-2005, 08:14 PM

however, the 3rd gen are heat sensitive, thats how they work. a heat sensitive pad is located under the button, so when it is heated up, it is activated. and also, they do track finger movement: it has a scroll wheel. and a way to have a safety is to use a hold switch like the iPod. when the switch is flipped, the heat pads turn off and no longer register touches. as for tourney legal, place the touch pad on the surface of a trigger that can recess inside the trigger fram making it look like there is no trigger, and run the electronics through the trigger. Then, to make it legal, allow the pad to turn off and the trigger to pop out of the frame.

Glickman
05-31-2005, 09:23 PM
however, the 3rd gen are heat sensitive, thats how they work. a heat sensitive pad is located under the button, so when it is heated up, it is activated. and also, they do track finger movement: it has a scroll wheel. and a way to have a safety is to use a hold switch like the iPod. when the switch is flipped, the heat pads turn off and no longer register touches. as for tourney legal, place the touch pad on the surface of a trigger that can recess inside the trigger fram making it look like there is no trigger, and run the electronics through the trigger. Then, to make it legal, allow the pad to turn off and the trigger to pop out of the frame.

in short, for legal:

soft button trigger

dyefreak315
06-03-2005, 11:42 PM
I agree with people saying smart parts only cares about money and has no view of future, has anyone noticed that everyone else reproduces their guns ten times better then they make it themselves? They seem to try to cover all their bases and they look like they are running out of ideas, then again, so is angel, and WGP, bob long. Has anyone noticed that all the guns seem to be exactly the same just progressively more expensive? kind of odd isnt it?

Jaan
06-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Why even use a pad at all ... just use a light beam. How about allowing all 4 fingers to fire the gun? I'm a pretty fair guitar player and I'd be able to shoot like crazy if that was the case ... although I'd have to use my off (fret) hand. Now that I think about it, if the trigger was shaped like a guitar pick and I held it like that ... aaaaaanywayzzzz ...

Safeties would be easy though, for any sensitive trigger. You could put contact pads on the grips so unless you had your hand wrapped around the trigger frame it wouldn't fire. Hell, you could just have a small transponder installed into the palm of your hand so unless that transponder was within a few millimeters of the grip it wouldn't fire, and it could be programmed to only fire for you. The transponders are the size of a grain of rice, and my dog has one under his skin. I've thought this was a great idea for police officers for years.

I think once you get to that level of sensitivity, then you probably would be better off allowing full auto and enforcing a BPS cap or limiting the amount of paint you can carry.

Labtop *SIGH* :D

master_alexander
06-04-2005, 01:44 AM
labtop or laptop?

lab or lap?

but i have thought this u before, and found a way for it to work, i am 14, and also have a laptop (go us!), and it would be very sweet for one to be made... am too cheap to do it.

marctooshbro
06-12-2005, 04:50 PM
maby you can use a mouse pad thing that is sensitive to a magnet or a certan meatal and put the magnet or meatal in a paintball glove so it would only shoot if that paintball glove toched it

you have seen the mouses with no eye or ball i am talking about that

JoshK
06-12-2005, 05:35 PM
I just had a breakthrough...what if it was a hybrid like an emag...like here is what I am thinking. Have a trigger, but has the surface be the touchy mouse thing. Then above the trigger there is a little switch, when the switch is turned onto pad, or whatever, it would lock the trigger, and take all motion from the mouse pad. And when it not locked, the board no longer recognizes the mouse part, and instead it works like a regular trigger. I know this wouldn't help not being able to use it in tourny...but you would still have it on there for open play and the such.

http://img136.echo.cx/img136/7296/trigger0ve.jpg

The purple part could be the switch, and it could also direct the currents from/to the board from the trigger options. When set into the "in" position for example, it could lock up the trigger like a safety, but that could also switch the board from being connected to the trigger to the mouse thing.

-josh

Edit: Also...personally I can go faster with alittle movement. Like I can go quicker at bouncing a pencil against a table (while holding it loosely above the surface with my fingers), than just hitting the table.

-=Squid=-
06-12-2005, 05:39 PM
lol

Jaan
06-12-2005, 08:18 PM
Are triggers really that hard to pull these days that you would want to go off and use a touch pad? How sensative do you need it to be?

Kallahan
06-12-2005, 09:48 PM
The problem with touch pads is this. It's not when you apply pressure that the switch is triggered, it's when you release it. Also they take a bit of force to activate.

Also, its laptop, not labtop. Just one of those things that drive me nutso.