PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Year of Celeb Paintball?

Tassel Mask
04-18-2005, 02:03 PM
Instead of concentraiting on the fall through of celeb 2005, for a change of tone, lets reflect on past events.

OK, for all the Tom Kaye ballers, I think its obviouse that 2004 was a big hit with everyone. As for Shatner's ballers it had to either be 2002 CPX or 2003 at EMR. I'm biased because I only played 2003 and 2004.

2003 was a domination. The Cav dominated out of sheer numbers and equipment. I believe the Raiders tank even broke down during the game giving us (Cav) an upper hand. If anyone remembers the beginning of the BIG GAME, it seemed the Posse or Raiders were puching us almost all the way back to the insertion point. Somehow we beat them back and eventually won the game. I know the tank really moved the battle lines from one end of the field to the other. I really don't know how Kaye's team could have won. I wish they would have let them share the tank, or did they, and I was just shooting myself in the foot at the time?

2002 again seemed like Shatner had the most players, but also seemed like they had more players against them at any other game until 2004. When Tom's team + Cow's team matched up, they did have more players than Shat right?

1. I have two questions for everyone, what game seemed to be the most balanced? The reason I ask is because almost every year seems to be lopsided?

2.How does anyone think the last 3 games could have been won by the other teams? Was it number of players per team, bad cordination on the field, too hard of missions without enough points late in the day? Help me out you hard core players.

3. Is Weltman and the Weltman's Pack a deciding factor post 2002 games? Don't answere this unless you feel the urge.

T.M.

Mike Smith
04-18-2005, 06:37 PM
OK, this is simple. The first Shatnerball, most of the scenario players and all of the Texans were on Bill's side. Tom had his tourney players and Mancow had the unwashed masses, along with some scenario and rec players. As far as eliminations, the Borg were on top, but this was a game of points, and the Borg didn't understand that. The Texans did. That's why we dominated.

The second game, once again, had all the Texans on Bill's side. A decent amount of them were there for Twin Towers game at EMR and the whoopin that was put on RTD. In fact, that picture of all those RTD butts on a platter in EMR's rec room is from the Twin Towers game.

The third game, Tom got wise. He shamelessly recruited/sponsored two Texas scenario teams, knowing full well that the rest of the Texans would have to play on his side. When we go out of State, we go as a group. After combining the Texans with his tourney wankers, and schooling the tourney wankers on what constituted a "win", we flat-out SMOKED Bill.

To answer your question... The only way to get a balanced game is to play it in Texas. We Texans do not have to play as a group in Texas. We can be split up on both teams.

There are numerous examples of what happens when the Texans show up as a group. The latest will be at Sherwood Forest in Laporte IN, May 7 & 8. As an added bonus, I'll be turning the double-nickel on May 7, so you can come shoot a cantankerous, half-blind, half-deaf, slow as mollasses, old fart, if you want to...

Tassel Mask
04-18-2005, 10:31 PM
How many Texans do you guys play with? I myself a Texan until 2002 was wondering if there is a huge number of texan players in the Shatnerball universe, or is this what I like to call The Greatest State, Greatest People, Greatest Ballers syndrome?

Do Texans really play as big a part in the Shatnerballs as we do in the presidencial elections?
I hope so, but help me out czz I have no info or stats on players from Tej' as.

I think it is still a numbers game that decided the last two celeb paintball games. I would like it more even next time. I'd hate to win or lose depending on size of teams.

Does anyone else agree its the size of the team that matters in BIG SCENARIO?

Mike Smith
04-19-2005, 05:51 AM
How many Texans do you guys play with?

Oh.... anywhere from about 20 to 45 will do.

And it is dificult to get exact team numbers for Shatnerball. From my understanding, the attempt to balance the teams is made. From my experience, the teams appear to be close to even at the start of the game.

Some of us are more motivated than others.... When it appeared that we were rolling Shatner's team last Labor Day, there were a HUGE number of his teammates in the staging area. Ya can't win if you don't play.

Tassel Mask
04-19-2005, 10:24 AM
25 to 40, now thats a deciding factor :shooting:

I know its easy to blame players for not playing when we need then somtimes, but dude everyone gets tired at shatnerball. Heck, I had to leave the field more than once just czz I was so thirsty and they didn't stock the field with water yet. Because we all know, if you can't think, you can't play. All I could think about was WATER!! :spit_take

Mike Smith
04-19-2005, 04:09 PM
heh heh heh....
Next time, check out the Texans. Most of us have hydration back packs.

We do live in Texas, ya know.... We have hot, dam hot, hell, and July/August. :D

Lawrence TB Wright
04-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Do you really want me to get in on this? If you've never played against the 24 to 40 Texans he's talking about then you really wouldn't understand.

Let's just say the first year, Bill was very well taken care of by his command staff. And while they weren't all Texans, quite a few Texans took the journey there.

I can give you more insight into why Bill won the first two years and Tom did the second. If you really want to know.

Trips
04-19-2005, 07:05 PM
Definately the first year... I think your right Mike we had somewhere around 30-45 Texans. Members of Tx Rangers, Fubar, RPM, TNT, Blitz, were there. I remember 15 Texans holding the town from (arguably) 500+ players from the Borg and Klingon armies. Then with the odds 2-1 we still managed to hold our own. The secret to me has always been that putting south Texans in open woods is like turning us loose on a speedball field against "Noobs". You got to play south Texas woodsball to really understand, but a good analagy is not seeing the forest because of the bushes. I missed year two, but as for year three I spent more time mothering players with heat injuries than reffing the event it seemed like. Hydration packs is a staple among Texas ballers even in the cooler months.

EMR at least the Twin Towers game was a combination of killer strategy and just plain pride.
Never ever state publically (at least where Texans can here it ) that you are unbeatable on your home field ... I believe my exact words were "Aint that just precious". The rest is history.
Kinda like my playing days :cry:

Mike Smith
04-19-2005, 08:38 PM
EMR at least the Twin Towers game was a combination of killer strategy and just plain pride.

Heh heh heh... Yea... TB was plenty motivated for that game... I'm thinking RTD knows not to piss off a group of Texans now... :D

Shatnerball I & III and Twin Towers were great road trip games. I'm hoping for another one in Indiana in a few weeks. In fact, I've been to a rather large number of classic games, from Viper's Starcraft and Holy Grails {both of them} to PB Sams big game to the first Throwdown to Tobacco's generaling of Army of Darnness and even the Light vs Dark game in Pearland...

Guess I've been lucky.

Tassel Mask
04-20-2005, 12:54 AM
TB, I love to hear about your Texas strategy. The hardest part for me is when kids just blind fire like crazy and then the refs call me for over fireing. I mean no kidding im over firing there is 80 baller over the next ridge.

Let me know what you think about over firing at BIG GAMES and Shatnerball Texas style.

T.M. <<Water needed

Thom
04-21-2005, 09:01 AM
I was at Shatnerballs I and III, both times on Shatner's team. At Shatnerball III there was definitley not only a numbers advantage for Tom, but he had far more experienced players. I noticed both on and off the field that most of our players were "noobs"--lots of confused players, rentals, etc. And everyone veteran player I spoke with said they were playing for Tom. But correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure Tom's team had like 3 or 4 tanks to our 1. That's just wrong. I'm sure it's difficult to balance the teams and give people what they want, but I really hope more attention is given to making the teams even. I don't want to be on a winning or losing team that won or lost because of an unfair advantage. It's just so much more interesting when the odds are even.

Tassel Mask
04-21-2005, 11:12 AM
Thom, I had no idea Kaye had so many tanks. but then again every time I tried to take Bedlam I got hit by a tank. They set it up right in front of the entrance, I really thought we didn't have a prayer within the first half hour of the game. I stll had fun and saw some stand up ball, but Iwould have liked it to be more challenging than impossible.

I was a little dissapointed to see how bad we lost, but I was also very proud of my team and the issions we completed. Well, the one mission we completed. It was like some random Shatnerballers grouped up on the field and completed a mission on their own. Thats why I love kickin it on Shats team. In 2003 we mowed Kaye's team down; so I guess its fair that he won last year.

I just wish the winners of the game are not pre-determined by registration of players and equipment. I understand if the odds are a little uneven, but the last 2 years were totally lopsided.

Still for my money, 2003 was the best. Yet, 2004 came a close second. Temlpe of Doom as a crazy battle. That was worth the whole trip. I was out fo ammo, but still I stayed and watched all the way to the end. Temple of doom was a great battle. 500 people in a 50 yrd radius shooting at eachother...nuts

T.M.

Mike Smith
04-21-2005, 07:18 PM
First... I remember us having 2 tanks and Shatner having 1 at Shatnerball III.
His seemed to get blown up regularly.

Second, to give everyone a clue about Texans...
On this day in 1836, 910 PO'ed Texans, led by Sam Houston, took on Santa Anna's army of 1400 and totally kicked their collective butts in 18 minutes.
The score was:
Texans killed = 9
Mexicans Killed = 630
Mexicans captured = 730

Sure... 40 of us might seem like 200 to the typical yankee...

We won't argue that point! :D

Tassel Mask
04-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Remember San Jacinto!

Too bad about the San Jacinto River. I catch a lot of cat fish there. I heard its really low this year.

Thom
04-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Yeah, despite the lopsidedness both teams really played some stand up ball. I remember getting hit by a grenade in Bedlam that, because of where my brother and I were positioned, must have come from like a mile away. And yet we were both taken out with total precision. :hail: Awesome shot. I personally feel that on that day I played better than I ever had before. So I think 2004 was my most memorable game, despite our major loss.

As for tanks, I was looking around and I believe the 3 tanks on Tom's team were the AGD Automagnus tank, the Ranger Tank, and the Spec-ops tank. Personally I count that badass Spec-ops tank as 2 :)

Tassel Mask
04-22-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd say my biggest struggles are taking out a well defended tank. A good strong line of ballers backed up by the near invincibility of a tank will make any vet baler struggle.

I remember many times in 2004 when a tank would pin me down between 2 barrels, then the footmen would movie in ans nipe me out. Only thing is most times Shat's ballers owned the east woods and we popped that driver almost every time.

Any brave souls out there go toe to toe with a tank last year?

Mike Smith
04-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Free clue about tanks:
If they cannot see where they are going, they cannot move. Direct hits on a loose screen will bounce. Hits on the cross post beside the screen will splatter paint on the driver.

Yea, we are talking 300-400 rounds, but it can be done.

Tassel Mask
04-24-2005, 09:38 AM
Some parks discourage shooting at tanks unless you have those nerf guns that shoot those drts.

2004 I was getting hammered at by the parachuet near the road by this I think white tank. Anyway, the tank comes up close to me and wont quit firing. I'm smart enough to know 1 baller vs one tank, the baller will always lose.

I can hear the balls popping on this barrel. No way in hell I'm getting up to run to another spot. And dude, it was gonna have to be one lucky shot to nail me out. I just squatted into a tiny ball and hopped I wouldnt get ambushed by Tom Kaye's menions.

The tank I could tell was getting pissed at my location because 3 barrels in a triangle gave me perfect cover nomatter if you shot 1000 rounds a sec at me. I wasnt going down.

Here's where it get intresting. The tank moves up the road to get insaight of me nd take me out. Still fireing at me, still pinning me down. One of the coolest parts of the game. A law operator from the bushe out of nowhere pops the tank as it moved up the road not looking ahead, but at me instead.

Now thats some sneak-e ACC scenario paintball right there everyone.

Mike Smith
04-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Some parks discourage shooting at tanks

And here is where actually reading the rules comes in handy! If the rules do not state that you cannot shoot a tank, you can shoot it, you just won't be able to eliminate it, unless you force them to give up.

The first year the PUGs appeared at PB Sams Big Game in Racine WI, their screen material was tight. Mistake! I figured out how to make them quit in no time! The second year, their screens were loose, thier PVC posts weren't. Nope, didn't take long... The next year, they had the pipe wrap padding on all their PVC supports. Now it is much more difficult to get a PUG to give up. Not impossible... but much more difficult.

Here's a link to a PUG:
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/resources/books/pug/

Tassel Mask
04-27-2005, 04:43 PM
I must know, was there ever a possibility Shatner's team could have won Mobster Mash? If so, what should we...I mean they could have done.

Comments, sugegtions, improvwement in scenario play; speak you mind and help us losers out.

Joke about the losers, its just we did not win.

T.M.

Mike Smith
04-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Ok, we've been over this a number of times....

Our leader and his command staff were all TEXANS!!!!

Does that give you a slight clue? Flip them to Shatner's side and he wins...