PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Emag battery charger??

Ratt
04-21-2005, 04:01 AM
Has anyone ever used a battery charger from another piece of equipment (say for instance, an 18V cordless drill...) to charge their Emag battery? I am out here in Japan, and I can't get my hands on a battery charger for my Emag (mainly b/c I am too cheap to pay $80 for one from AGD). Anyone have any suggestions?

space_weazel_45
04-21-2005, 04:28 AM
as long as the imput voltage is the same and the plug connector is the same i would think it would work, however i would wait for a few more responses.

TMAXXKING1
04-21-2005, 02:25 PM
here is the real good info before you burn your charger out ,,

Radio shack 273-1779...and you need the "M" tip too. Dont mix up the polarity when installing the tip or it will blow the emag charger as soon as you plug it in

this info was posted by the emag pimp tunaman just a few post's below yours ..

so i would go with what tuna say's ... ;)

athomas
04-21-2005, 06:01 PM
That's the 120v adapter to use with the AGD charger so you don't have to use the 12v car adapter.

An 18v charger would probably work but there is care to be taken. The emag battery pack is a lot smaller and has a lot less capacity than an 18v cordless drill battery. You would have to monitor the charge of the battery pack manually. Check for voltage rise and temperature. If the battery pack gets hot, you would have to disconnect it. That means it is either done or charging too fast. A battery pack will rise in voltage until the cells reach full charge. Then the voltage will start to drop. A voltage drop of ~20mv per cell is considered acceptable to indicate a full charge in NiMh cells. That translates into .25volt for the emag battery. This is usually when the battery pack will start to heat up.

hitech
04-21-2005, 06:48 PM
Unless the new drills are different, they have nicad batteries. A charger for a nicad battery generally doesn't work well on a NiMh battery. Now, if you can find a charger for NiMh batteries that can handle a 14 cell (AAA) battery it should work fine.

Tunaman
04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
also, these batteries are FORTY BUCKS! If you want to mess around and use anything other than the suggested stuf to charge it be prepared for decreased battery life. People dont realize how much time and effort went into finding the best, longest lasting, most reliable battery-charging system available on any paintball marker on the market today. Tom did his homework on this one. Use the proper stuff and it will last a long time. TK purposely designed it like this you we would all be happy campers, firing 10's of thousands of shots on one charge. Show me a 9v that can do that... ;) :headbang:

Flossabe
04-22-2005, 02:19 PM
My teammate toped 100,000 with his ego's 9volt but that is just driving an air solenoid. But on to topic, I have noticed that using the wall chargers doesnt work near as well as the car charger, this may be because the transformer heats up qite a bit wiht the wall charger and lowers the voltage output and the car is stright 12 to 14.4.