PDA

View Full Version : dm4/dm5 question. TOP HAT MOD??

felony
04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
First of all, I posted this on pbnation, but get stupid responses back..

The top hat mod, is where you wrap a few layers of tape on the top hat (about 2-3mm) to decrease the volume of air in the chamber and thus increasing your shots. The down side is you have to turn up your LPR some. soo i was wondering how much tape could be added, and if there is any side effect to a small dump chamber and higher LPR.

there is plenty of space to add tape. you could easily add some on the opposite side of the chamber, where it is thinner.

http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/23000/CIMG1228.jpg

i circled where i was thinking about adding tape.

I guess I am just wondering how much tape cann be added before crap hits the fan.

From what I understand your LPR just needs to be run higher to compensate fro the smaller dump chamber.. so if you can keep making the chamber smaller, and just bumping your lpr higher, you would just have a harder bolt, but better efficiecny.

LMK what you think.. sorry if this has been dscussed before, just a thought.

dan

RRfireblade
04-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Bsicically you can keep on going till you can no longer reach the velocity you want, then take a few turns off.

I think, most people were doing like 6-7 turns but I never tried it myself cause I really don't need the minor amount of efficiency it's supposedly adds.

But can't hurt to try it if your hurting for some extra shots.

Lohman446
04-22-2005, 09:42 AM
So wait.. basically on the most popular marker going now (maybe not most popular, but you know what I mean) we are INCREASING pressure to increase efficiency? Gee.. hasn't this concept been discussed somewhere before? Yes, I know it has. Hmm.. interesting

RRfireblade
04-22-2005, 09:45 AM
"We" aren't. My 'Trix is maybe the closest thing to PB perfection to ever come out of a cardboard box, IMO. ;)

It's just those certain people that feel the need to screw with everything.

You know those poeple don't you? :)

Lohman446
04-22-2005, 09:47 AM
:D My team has forbid me touching my gun for two weeks prior to tournament, some times going as far as taking it home with them. They always seem to have problems at the most inopportune times after my newest attempt to improve them :D

You know those poeple don't you? :)

Duck Hunt
04-22-2005, 09:49 AM
NO offense, even though DM4/5's are nice gun, but does anyone find it funny people are wrapping tape around the bolt of a 1000+ marker to get alittle more shots? Heheheh...

Sean

RRfireblade
04-22-2005, 09:58 AM
At least there's something you 'can' do with that one to get more efficiency. ;)

And it only costs a few cents,sounds like a bargin to me. :D

Seriously tho,

We all know that there are trade offs in marker performance,with all day air being available at pretty much every commercial field, I'll trade off a few shots per tank for 'other' things...yeah you guessed it....all day long. :ninja:

SlartyBartFast
04-22-2005, 10:02 AM
So wait.. basically on the most popular marker going now (maybe not most popular, but you know what I mean) we are INCREASING pressure to increase efficiency? Gee.. hasn't this concept been discussed somewhere before? Yes, I know it has. Hmm.. interesting

:rofl:

Someone will finally make a LP mag and then the noobs will start complaining that it should be HP like the "top" markers.

Lohman446
04-22-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm not knocking the marker in any way shape or form. Trust me if Dye thought this mod was useful they would have made a new bolt, cut the Dye emblem in it somewhere and be selling it for $100... err Dye $200. Nothing against Dye, the marker, or anyone doing this.

UTDragun
04-25-2005, 08:35 AM
if you have the money, try looking at an evolve bolt

rkjunior303
04-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Is this like the AKA Teabag mod? lol

magman007
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
really, in the fuse bolts, it doesnt do much what so ever. in older matrixes it did do wonders for efficiency, but that bolt needed a bit of work. Thje fuse bolt is probabally the best we will see in spoolvalve technology in a while. evolve doesnt work like advertised. many many people have proven this to be true, it isnt meeting the claims. not to mention the fact that it is butt ugly.

Dye thought of everything going into the dm series markers, and there isnt really a way to improve on them as it is.

if an He bolt was that big of an issue, dye would have designed it and released it, but you dont want to fix something that isnt broken right?

now from what i understand, bumping up your lpr, to meet the smaller dump chamber is doing adversely what you are trying to do. if you decrease one thing, and increase another when talking pressures, they baisically cancel eachother out. a small raise in efficiency mayoccour, if you get it just right, but usually you are just canceling everything out.

and what are you really going to do with 50 more balls? i mean really

thecavemankevin
04-25-2005, 11:28 AM
now from what i understand, bumping up your lpr, to meet the smaller dump chamber is doing adversely what you are trying to do. if you decrease one thing, and increase another when talking pressures, they baisically cancel eachother out. a small raise in efficiency mayoccour, if you get it just right, but usually you are just canceling everything out.

and what are you really going to do with 50 more balls? i mean really

thats exactly what i was thinking while reading this. if you decrease the amount of room in your chamber, already your marker is trying to squeeze the same amount of air into a smaller space, thus makeing your preasure increase. i guess i am not air smith, but it seems to me that there would be little to no change in efficiancy. but whatever, i've never been one to be a constant tinkerer.