PDA

View Full Version : Ion in Xball

WARPED1
04-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Whoever said a $300 marker couldn't be used in XBall was dead wrong. Here's a pic off WARPIG of a PunishersPB.com player using a mostly stock Ion. Just has a Freak kit and if I know PPB guys(and I do) he has the NDZ trigger on there.
http://warpig.com/paintball/tournament/psp/2005/orlando/inline_2.jpg

tyrion2323
04-23-2005, 07:51 AM
I guess that puts to rest quite a few questions here...

Lohman446
04-23-2005, 07:51 AM
SP told me they were slated for some of the sponsored teams the day they released them. I asked :D . They had been toying with them on one of the sponsored teams in practice, and they were happy enough with them that they were comfortable using them.

Though I would note what appears to be a max-flo tank probably means that "regulator" is gutted and just a gas through,.

mag88888
04-23-2005, 08:18 AM
ya know what.......im starting to regret buying a mag sometimes..look at all the great deals out there. mags just cost too much to upp them to that level........

Gumbe
04-23-2005, 09:07 AM
i am thinking the same...but no one has a mag...and i like that about em

r-unit
04-23-2005, 09:17 AM
or its being dual-regulated.

i personally don't own a mag, and i own an 05 freestyle with nox lite. but i know ill be happy for all the mag'ers when the PTP frame comes out. these kids (and im a kid, so i know) will be like: is that a mag? thats not a mag, mags suck. *but it is a mag*. and then they'll go of looking very very red. :D

i might have to try out one of these "ion" items.

mag88888
04-23-2005, 09:29 AM
what pressure does the IOn run at? would my apoc2k work? cause i now that some LP guns are under 200 PSI........

peewee
04-23-2005, 09:58 AM
You can use an high output tank input from the gun reg is at 200 or lower ( dont go over,bad things can happen) mines at 170. It works well but you know what I will never regret having my mags .... I just got a new to me classic last night & as soon as I save up enough I'm going to grab a couple more pro classics. Best loaner out there.

Ratzo
04-23-2005, 10:28 AM
I've been talking to a few store owners and they've been saying that there are a bunch of Ions being returned because of some serious problems that are having to be repaired by SmartParts because the fix just can't be done anywhere else.

BD_Paintball
04-23-2005, 10:30 AM
the reg on that gun is not bad at all. my friend got one to back up his proto and when we played it was + - 3fps. thats good. and it was also a fast little gun

Lohman446
04-23-2005, 10:39 AM
I've been talking to a few store owners and they've been saying that there are a bunch of Ions being returned because of some serious problems that are having to be repaired by SmartParts because the fix just can't be done anywhere else.

I have put together, and been involved in selling over 60 ions. There are about 15% that will not fire otu of box

Of these most are repaired by adjusting the trigger to engage the microswitch
One had a bad gauge
A couple had macro-fitting leaks
About three have had bad boards as near as I can tell and had to go back to SP

There are issues, but it is certainly not an every gun issue

ColdFuzion
04-23-2005, 10:58 AM
The ION is quite a work... Eyes that own, speedy as poop with no trigger magnets/in ramp mode, good reg stock, decent barrel stock... IONs have led me to victory in a game before... I'll be picking one up to backup the RT and GX-3...

-Cold

BD_Paintball
04-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I have put together, and been involved in selling over 60 ions. There are about 15% that will not fire out of box

One had a bad gauge

if i remember correctly ppl on this board and ppl who had connections to AGD said that that will always happen. remember the DirtyBunny issue with his x-mag and the problems with the software. they has alot of problems so i guess since they are selling alot of guns that kind of stuff will happen. and its not that hard to adjust the trigger or tighten a macro fitting.

11_Mile_TMaster
04-23-2005, 12:14 PM
I disassembled an Ion the other day.... Here are some impressions of it.

It seems to take a lot longer than I am used to to break down. Lots of screws involved. I suppose I am spoiled though, with the two screw near-total breakdown of a Mag. There just is a lot more involved with disassembling the ION.

The internals of the gun are very straightforward. Only a few o-rings to worry about and if you can understand a Mag's operation, you should be able to understand how the ION works in short order.

I am NOT, however, a fan of the Board on this thing. It feels, perhaps, like too many measures were made to save cost. Everything is built into the board itself, i.e. all the switches, including the trigger switch, and the solenoid as well. I suppose I just prefer modularity, in case things break. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable resoldering anything if it came up.

The design itself seems solid. I do see some places where efficiency could be improved. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed it, and I think it may or may not infringe on other similar HE Bolt Patents (I'm not very big into Matrix tech, so I'm not sure what, if any, patents exist on the subject. I remember reading something about Dye having a patent on some types of HE kits.) Namely, it seems that the air chamber is never fully sealed during firing, i.e. there is always air flowing into the dump chamber. I think a properly place O-ring and possibly changing the shape of the rear section of could take care of that, however. In fact, looking at the design I don't see WHY they didn't unless it is a case of possible patent violation.

... On that note, with the aforementioned Modification... I don't see why it couldn't potentially be converted to a mechanical trigger. :eek:

mag88888
04-23-2005, 12:21 PM
how does the ION compare to the shocker? eyes, ROF, efficiency, pressures run at, the whole shibang........
EDIT:also how do they compare to mags, say the RT ULE CUSTOM.....whats the difference in speed between the 2?

tony3
04-23-2005, 12:36 PM
My friend played with punisherpb.com at LA, he was really impressed with the ion.

Glickman
04-23-2005, 12:46 PM
how does the ION compare to the shocker? eyes, ROF, efficiency, pressures run at, the whole shibang........
EDIT:also how do they compare to mags, say the RT ULE CUSTOM.....whats the difference in speed between the 2?

Ive only had problem shooting black paint in my shocker, havent had that problem yet with opn. effieciency is noticably better (dont have an exact figure, but im refilling much less)

rof is the same without ramping, because most people dont get past 17 bps without bounce anyway

if your thinking of a shocker? try the ion ;)

mag88888
04-23-2005, 12:49 PM
but.....how does the ION compare to a RT ULE CUSTOM? the rt costs more but what shoots better? how many grams or ounces is a ION triggger pull, how long is the pull, mm.?

WingMan13
04-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I have had my ION for a week now. So far I love it! Externally its built to take abuse. Although I do find taking it apart feels like I'm defusing a bomb. It doesn't feel rugged like taking apart a MAG. I think alot of the problems that people have been experiencing with the ION is the fact that they are not careful taking it apart.

BD_Paintball
04-23-2005, 02:33 PM
but.....how does the ION compare to a RT ULE CUSTOM? the rt costs more but what shoots better? how many grams or ounces is a ION triggger pull, how long is the pull, mm.?

the ion is alot faster then a mag will be WITHOUT bounce. the triggers is very light (like 25g switch) and short. if you are looking to but one of these the ion will be better then a rt ule without question. my friend had a nerve and got a ion and liked the ion over the nerve (just as fast without rampin, shoots straighter, smaller, less weight, and has BB eyes) so he traded the nerve for a proto. it that doen not say how nice the ion is i dont know what will

islandboi
04-23-2005, 02:37 PM
I hate the way the stock trigger feels on those. Other then that they're nice.

Lee
04-23-2005, 02:37 PM
saw several people walking around with them in orlando today.

i know of at least two local teams in d3 5 man that have at least one in the field.

i own one myself and like it alot. i see no reason why people are at times incredulous when they hear "ion" and "xball" in the same sentence.

WARPED1
04-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Todays game
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/23000/ppb6_rs.JPG
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/23000/ppb9_rs.JPG

mag88888
04-23-2005, 09:03 PM
im thinking of selling my RT ULE CUSTOM and getting a seriously upped ION. NDZ trigger, halo b, my apoc2k, new feed neck, maybe a new reg. i dont know what to do...wait..what exact pressure does the ION run at? is the reg adjustable, like can i adjust the input to whatever pressure on the reg to the ION's pressure? i just confused myself..

JimmyBeam
04-23-2005, 09:09 PM
they run at ~180, and yes the reg is adjustable

mag88888
04-23-2005, 09:11 PM
what kind of honest bps can you hit with a ION in semi auto?

mag88888
04-23-2005, 09:26 PM
ok this is what i want.... black ION, NDZ aluminum trigger, ST feedneck, dye stickies, halo b......from action village thats.....hmmmmmm.....$500....oh snap, uh oh, darnit! oh and how fast ION semi?

WARPED1
04-23-2005, 09:32 PM
Buy at www.punisherspb.com
Ion= $284.95
NDZ Aluminum trigger= $36.75
ST Feedneck= $35-$40 I think?
DYE Stickies 3= $20(thats what I paid at DYE booth today)
HALO B= $110
$491.70. Under $500, but barely.
In semi, you can get whatever you can pull up to 17BPS(Boards capped there)

minimag03
04-23-2005, 09:33 PM
ok this is what i want.... black ION, NDZ aluminum trigger, ST feedneck, dye stickies, halo b......from action village thats.....hmmmmmm.....$500....oh snap, uh oh, darnit! oh and how fast ION semi?

We sell Ions for $230 new. I'm sure you can find a local guy that doesn't have to make a $85 profit.

WARPED1
04-23-2005, 09:37 PM
We sell Ions for $230 new. I'm sure you can find a local guy that doesn't have to make a $85 profit.
I don't work for Punishers, I get no profit. The site I moderate at (www.shockerowners.com) is sponsored by them.

mag88888
04-23-2005, 09:40 PM
who ever said i could find a local person who sells themf or cheaper: i live in Vermont, noone lives here!!! gotta order online, cause VT pball is NOTHING!!!!

BD_Paintball
04-23-2005, 09:41 PM

i know who im taking to when i want to buy an ion :clap:

mag88888
04-23-2005, 09:46 PM
minimag03:web site?

minimag03
04-23-2005, 09:50 PM
We don't have a site. He is a friend that orders from his supplier. He adds what he is happy with and sells them at local events. If you are interested PM me, but I think we sold our last few in the last tourny. We can always order more.

JimmyBeam
04-23-2005, 10:45 PM
Detriot Strange Ion. I dont know if I like it yet or not

http://tinypic.com/4lhd2p

WARPED1
04-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Thats not done being milled yet. Also, it has an endcap you just unscrew, loosen a bolt with the stock Ion wrench and the internals, including the bolt, come out, ready to be lubed/cleaned! It includes the feedneck as well. I talked at length with the Strange boys......................

bound for glory
04-23-2005, 11:18 PM
well thats just great :clap: another ion thread. is'nt there an ion owners site yet? or do most people just know these things are gonna fall apart within a year :rolleyes: my devilmag kicks an ion's a** right off this planet. but please, continue to post about a non agd marker here...

WARPED1
04-23-2005, 11:22 PM
We have to show the world theres a lot more to PB than mags! You can't see a better deal when presented?! Do we need to shove it up your butt?!
You go ahead and pay $1000 plus for a marker, I'll pay $284 and use the extra $716 to buy paint to bonus ball you, you probably won't have as much poaint as you spent over $1000 dollars on just the gun. :rolleyes:
And the Devilmasg is non AGD, unless GADevil works for AGD and I wasn't aware...............

JimmyBeam
04-23-2005, 11:37 PM
that endcap is exactly what this gun needs. its going to make maintenance a breeze.

WARPED1
04-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Yes! And I can't wait to see the finished milling! Will it be Strange?! :p

JimmyBeam
04-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Yes! And I can't wait to see the finished milling! Will it be Strange?! :p

yea no kidding. I wonder if DeadlyWind is going to make a body with a removable back now.

minimag03
04-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Are they just making a shell for the plastic? I like it but the feedneck area is kinda weird.

Twiek
04-24-2005, 12:49 AM
that endcap is exactly what this gun needs. its going to make maintenance a breeze.

It takes more than just a removable body cap to make the bolt removable... If it really does allow you to remove the bolt from the rear, I'm guessing it's going to be awfully expensive due to the parts it would have to replace.

WARPED1
04-24-2005, 01:38 AM
It takes more than just a removable body cap to make the bolt removable... If it really does allow you to remove the bolt from the rear, I'm guessing it's going to be awfully expensive due to the parts it would have to replace.
MSRP $149.99 investigative journalism. It's what I do.......................for a living. I talked with the Strange boys at length today.

Twiek
04-24-2005, 08:11 AM
MSRP $149.99 investigative journalism. It's what I do.......................for a living. I talked with the Strange boys at length today.

Nice. I actually like the design... kinda like a carved Mayhem :p

mag88888
04-24-2005, 01:09 PM
i really really want an ION!!!!!!!with a new body of course! i cant stand the standard bodys :(
my parents arent gonna let me switch markers though, they just wont. "stop buying things", when its less expensive than a mag! i guess il try to explain to them!

barrel break
04-24-2005, 05:14 PM
I think I'm going to buy an ion, local (okay, 60 miles away) sells for $285 i believe. That strange one is much better looking than the foehn if i do say so.

mag88888
04-24-2005, 08:40 PM
can you mix shcoker and ion boards and stuff??

yakitori
04-24-2005, 09:26 PM
no, but supposedly there is a WAS board in the works for it. I dont know how good this will be since WAS doesnt support ramping. And since Xball leagues allow ramping to 15 bps, the ION is a great choice. I just got one this weekend and I am VERY impressed. The issues that ppl have w/ them are not serious other than a bad board (probably not frequent). Macro blowing off is user error. New macro should be checked because it can sometimes no seat in the fitting when its new. Since the price is so low, many noobs buy them, and dont know these kinds of issues to look BEFORE airing up, and dont read the instruction manual. That is user error.

Ions shoot better than mags. Its fast, no short stroking, better efficiency, quieter, decently consistent even w/ stock reg, cheaper, similar profile. I like the way my Ion shoots over all the mags Ive owned. Better than Emag, better than devilmag simply because of the cost performance ratio.

I got one for a backup to my viking, and I love it. Its not hard to take apart. 2 frame screws and one banjo fitting and the body and grip frame separate. 2 more banjo fittins and a screw and slide the shell off. Unscrew the firing chamber and body and remove bolt and bolt stop. CLean, regrease, put back together. ....Simple. Maybe not as simple as mag, but what is? At least the ion has internal airways instead of that macro fitting on the valve that is terribly annoying.

Definitely buy an Ion if you can afford it. You wont regret it.

shorty24
04-24-2005, 10:17 PM
I know ions haven't been out there for very long, but does anyone know how reliable these guns are? I wanna buy one now, cuz I'm sellin my uber-tricked out ULE custom, and from what I hear, it sounds great...oh, and I'll have $700 left over for upgrades once my mag sells... :D

nippinout
04-24-2005, 10:33 PM
Any gun can be used in XBall. That does not make it an awesome gun.

The use of an Ion in XBall does not give it any sort of legtimacy as an affordable 'high-end' gun. It isn't high-end equipment.

Remember, Kingman sponsored Bad Company to shoot Spyders at the 'pro' level.

JimmyBeam
04-24-2005, 10:54 PM
but does anyone know how reliable these guns are?

ok....got one the first week they were out. 15 cases, not a single chop. not a single problem. playing in a 3 man this weekend, and i see it working fine all day.

mag88888
04-25-2005, 05:47 AM
im gonna wait a while bfore i buy mine. still choosing between omen and ion. i just got my mag a few months ago, wannan play more with it. and i want to wait for all the kinks to come out, thinigs tos ettle dwon. wait for all the new stuff tocoem out. SP wll probaby be making new bodies, i wanna wait for all the stuff to come out, boards, mainbodys, aluminum, foehn, that detroit strange body.......just wait a while i think is smart...........

Lohman446
04-25-2005, 06:00 AM
no, but supposedly there is a WAS board in the works for it. I dont know how good this will be since WAS doesnt support ramping. And since Xball leagues allow ramping to 15 bps, the ION is a great choice. I just got one this weekend and I am VERY impressed. The issues that ppl have w/ them are not serious other than a bad board (probably not frequent). Macro blowing off is user error. New macro should be checked because it can sometimes no seat in the fitting when its new. Since the price is so low, many noobs buy them, and dont know these kinds of issues to look BEFORE airing up, and dont read the instruction manual. That is user error.

Its as bad as the cultists and level ten. If it didn't work tis your fault (you're an idiot / noob/ whatever), not the companies. The problems I have had with macro have been the internal lines in teh gun, and cracks in the banjo fittings... just thought I'd share that.

LONEWOLFOO1
04-25-2005, 06:12 AM
i think the ion will make a great back up for the mag i beat on my guns trees bushes dirt. so i prefer a mag over a ion for that reason alone. i felt one it lighter than the tac one but im a big guy anyway so weight is not a issue. i used to shoot a vm68.

yakitori
04-25-2005, 07:42 AM
I have put together, and been involved in selling over 60 ions. There are about 15% that will not fire otu of box

One had a bad gauge

wait a minute....how does a macro fitting leak turn into a cracked banjo? I was responding to this post. If this is the most common experienced probs, then yes..it is user error. Besides the internal lines are not macroline. And thats why SP provides the extra replacement lines. You cannot just twist your argument and change it as you go. Re-read your original post. :)

I am not hyping the Ion. Im saying that other than bad gauge a bad board, the rest is easily fixed.

Now Im as bad as lvl 10 cultist? If youve read my posts about lvl 10, Ive said it isnt chop proof. Its not all user/install problems w/ lvl 10. Lvl 10 is not perfect.

as for any gun being used in Xball...duh. You can play w/ a pump if you want. That doesnt mean your gun contends against any faster guns. Remember Xball allows ramping to 15 bps. Can all guns do that? no. Can the Ion do it, yes.

I personally think the mag makes a great backup to the Ion. Unless you are rec player. Then just keep your mag and bang it around.

Lohman446
04-25-2005, 07:54 AM
wait a minute....how does a macro fitting leak turn into a cracked banjo? I was responding to this post. If this is the most common experienced probs, then yes..it is user error. Besides the internal lines are not macroline. And thats why SP provides the extra replacement lines. You cannot just twist your argument and change it as you go. Re-read your original post. :)

I am not hyping the Ion. Im saying that other than bad gauge a bad board, the rest is easily fixed.

The leaks that I have had in them is the macro (micro?) / bango fitting (the ones where you screw it in in the body) that are internal in the marker. Certainly SP doesn't expect you to take it apart to inspect it. The banjo bolt that goes through that fitting (and is part of it) has been leaking in the threads... yes they are easily replaced, no they are not included with the airline SP sends in.

And the reference to the LX cultists.... if you have LX that doesn't work well, or you don't beleive LX is the greatest thing to ever happen there theory is your an idiot and don't know how to set it up - it can't possibly be AGDs fault. I am saying, that a good share of the Ion issues are SPs fault (the leaks, the failure to have the triggers set to be able to engage the switch and shoot the marker, the board failures). These are not, as implied, user error from being a noob. Am I knocking the Ion - no. There is a failure rate out of the box, but lately I have been having that issue with almost everything I buy PB related.

Edit: and yes, I did call them macroline fittings... which may have been incorrect not sure what they are actually.

Automaggin2
04-25-2005, 08:23 AM
Well hell, if I got one for free I'd use it in a tournament :rolleyes:

JimmyBeam
04-25-2005, 08:37 AM
im gonna wait a while bfore i buy mine. still choosing between omen and ion. i just got my mag a few months ago, wannan play more with it.

my best friend got a 1.5 Omen he same time I got my Ion. He has since sold the Omen and went out and got himself and Ion..

the only thing I feel bad about having my Ion is that my mag has seen much play since I got it. I feel kind of bad, being that ive put alot of time into building up my mag to where I want it and it just sits there waiting for the Ion to break so I'll pull it out.

peewee
04-25-2005, 08:42 AM
i used to shoot a vm68.

The original boat anchor now that was a gun.. :headbang: i couldnt get my hands on one my area was all tippmann untill the mag hit.

yakitori
04-25-2005, 10:01 AM
I know what banjo fittings are. I put a QEV in my Ion. Also, since Ions were like 8,000 on backorder, they rushed to get them filled, which can lead to lower quality control. Thats w/ any company though.

Any probs like that may be a hassle and inconvenient, but it is covered under warranty and can be returned/replaced, so its not that big a deal.

All this talk about Ions having probs right outta the box just had me sceptical, but I had no leaks, no probs, and no FSDO. It shoots great. More efficient than my mag. Quieter than my mag, and I like it better than my mag so far. Mags have more kick too IMO. My emag had mad barrel rise.

JimmyBeam
04-25-2005, 10:07 AM
More efficient than my mag. Quieter than my mag, and I like it better than my mag so far. Mags have more kick too IMO. My emag had mad barrel rise.

and dont forget....you cant do 17 bps with one finger on a mag. ;) ive become so spoiled with rebound. i need to sell my Ion and get a pump

Lohman446
04-25-2005, 10:12 AM
I know what banjo fittings are. I put a QEV in my Ion. Also, since Ions were like 8,000 on backorder, they rushed to get them filled, which can lead to lower quality control. Thats w/ any company though.

Any probs like that may be a hassle and inconvenient, but it is covered under warranty and can be returned/replaced, so its not that big a deal.

All this talk about Ions having probs right outta the box just had me sceptical, but I had no leaks, no probs, and no FSDO. It shoots great. More efficient than my mag. Quieter than my mag, and I like it better than my mag so far. Mags have more kick too IMO. My emag had mad barrel rise.

Why in general on this board is this an issue. I like SP products, but I make no excuses for there (at least on the things I have bought from them) exceptionally poor attention to detail and quality control (even when not on backorder). I make no excuses for the exceptionally poor tech support. I like them on there strengths.. I don't need to blindly follow them and discredit everything that someone may say bad about them.

You can like something (SP, AGD, whoever) and still acknowledge there shortcomings... I don't mean you specifically, but there seems to be this idea around these boards lately that if you support a company you must only support it and discredit or disqualify there shortcomings. You can support a company, or not support it, while still acknowledging the validity of there failures and sucesses. I don't like Dye - does that mean that I think everything they make is crap... no Dye makes some very good products, some of which I have owned in the past, I just don't like the company as a whole.

You don't have to be a zealot to either side, discrediting and disqualifing views that don't support your conclusion, to be an important customer to a company, or a detractor for that matter.

Paintchucker
04-25-2005, 10:13 AM
well thats just great :clap: another ion thread. is'nt there an ion owners site yet? or do most people just know these things are gonna fall apart within a year :rolleyes: my devilmag kicks an ion's a** right off this planet. but please, continue to post about a non agd marker here...

YES, there is an ION owners group, but most of the really knowledgable people are here... And until now, most of the mature people too... :rolleyes:

I own 3 mags and ION and no, I don't think it will fall apart in a year

Lohman446
04-25-2005, 10:16 AM

Unless your playing PSP rules with a cap of 15BPS and ramping allowed after three trigger pulls... then the Ion has as effective of eyes, better efficiency, and the ability to shoot lower into the tank.

:) And yes, I own an Ion, and have ordered a Devilmag. For what I paid for a DM I could have outfitted my entire 5 man team with Ions.

yakitori
04-25-2005, 11:54 AM
I agree w/ the comments about discrediting anything bad about any company. Thats because everyone has their own experience and each one is different. I am also not saying that SP is great or the Ion is the best gun right now. Just plain and simple it is great for the price. Until I have experience the poor service that everyone keeps saying about SP, then I cant comment on it. Im sure it will be like that. I will say that everyone brags about AKA though, and I have not had great experiences w/ them. They take a long time to send guns back. Ive had a hammer leak shortly after it was serviced. I eventually bought an oring kit to rebuild it twice, changed my own orings, and have yet to experience any probs.

Its all just a case study. Everyone has a different experience.

fire1811
04-25-2005, 12:01 PM
good post warped1

I ordered my Ion form ratpb.com. great people with great CS. they test all there guns before they ship them out.

I love my ion. for the price it cannot be beat.

my mag will be going in the backup spot for now.