PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tom

foot
04-24-2005, 11:58 AM
Hello. I've been doing some research into spinning paintballs for greater accuracy. I had a question and possibly some suggestions for Tom who was involved with these projects. I realize this was done quite a while ago and interest may have died but I'd like to ask anyway. I did read that If it were possible it would have already been done. I think it should have read, "When someone figures it out, it'll be done."

Anyway I've done some research with paintball manufacturers and there is a way to overcome the "uncooked egg" effect.

Bad_Dog
04-24-2005, 01:44 PM
you've got me intrigued...

Glickman
04-24-2005, 01:58 PM
deep blue maybe?

CrimsonTurkey
04-24-2005, 03:37 PM
If you are talkign about a spiral spin I'm wondering how you plan on getting a rotational accelloration that fast. You really dont have much time to do it in unless you plan to spin the balls before the firing cycle and shoot 4bps.

I'm intruiged as well. Shoot me an email at Matheson007@hotmail.com and open the email with the phrase

"By reading the following text you agree to not disclose or otherwise use any information and/or concepts mentioned within that are not already known and have not been yet been discovered, via existing or innovative methodology."

if you are paranoid about that whole thing. If I'm interested, I may be willing to work out some sort of contract in a year or so.

space_weazel_45
04-24-2005, 06:37 PM
i would play at 1bps if i could hit what i wanted to every time.....

Miscue
04-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Hello. I've been doing some research into spinning paintballs for greater accuracy. I had a question and possibly some suggestions for Tom who was involved with these projects. I realize this was done quite a while ago and interest may have died but I'd like to ask anyway. I did read that If it were possible it would have already been done. I think it should have read, "When someone figures it out, it'll be done."

Anyway I've done some research with paintball manufacturers and there is a way to overcome the "uncooked egg" effect.

What uncooked egg effect? The problem is vortex shedding and the poor aerodynamic properties of a 3 gram sphere.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64669

BeaverEater
04-24-2005, 07:37 PM
What i think he means about "uncooked egg" is that it is very hard to throw an egg and hit something. Uncooked eggs little to wobble a lot in flight.

SpecialBlend2786
04-24-2005, 08:11 PM
What i think he means about "uncooked egg" is that it is very hard to throw an egg and hit something. Uncooked eggs little to wobble a lot in flight.

yeah, thats what i thought.

Solid shell with a liquid fill.

AGD
04-24-2005, 08:40 PM
If they are filled with liquid or not makes very little difference. If you want to ask me something post it here.

AGD

foot
04-24-2005, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking about elongated paintballs. More or less a cylinder with a domes on each end.

wanna-b-ballin'
04-24-2005, 11:24 PM
I'm thinking about elongated paintballs. More or less a cylinder with a domes on each end.

then the hopper would become almost useless. the balls wouldn't feed right.
now if they were loaded in a magazine, then yes, its workable.

but putting a spin on it may or may not work. depending on the spin. if it were to spin like a bullet, then the paint on the inside of the shell would sit on one spot, while the shell spins. it wouldn't do much.
but if it were to spin end over end, then it would fly in some crazy direction.

Enemy
04-25-2005, 01:40 AM
lets also add that its very hard to get spiral spin on a paintball cant use deep groves they would tear the ball up!!go fill a football with water then throw see if your cylinder idea works then!!

AGD
04-25-2005, 02:26 AM
Football shaped paintballs were already manufactured in the early 90's. The developer claimed they spun when shot out of the barrel (but they really tumbled).

If you change the shape to anything other than a ball you have to weight one end.

AGD

ApexAZ
04-25-2005, 10:31 AM
Why can't you partition the inside of the paintball so that the liquid fill isn't a factor anymore?

Lohman446
04-25-2005, 10:43 AM
I think there is an inherent problem in 68 caliber, 3 gram, and 300FPS combined.

If you point it, or shape it in any way that it cuts through the airstream better (which I am not thinking is realistically likely) than you will also increase the force it hits your target with, which may become danger. What I mean is if you point the thing... so that the point goes through the air first (and hits target first) that point will carry more energy per square inch, than the balls we use now.

I don't think you are going to get something of that weight and size (both of which are factors in the energy carried) to fly at that speed (a third factor) with pinpoint accuracy. If you start changing any of those three factors we have to reevaluate safety concerns...

Just my opinion, I realize its not going towards the conclusion, but I beleive it raises points that should be addressed prior to spending too much effort moving forward.

I expect TK could tell you, give us 10 grams to work with, and we can make paintalls more accurate at longer distances. Though shaping, and perhaps just because of the lesser effects of aerodynamics (or fluid dynamics, or whatever) on a heavier object.

SlartyBartFast
04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
I think Tom's answer is already VERY evident in the product he already tested and released.

Think AGD would have developed the FN303 round if another soultion consisting of reshaping a standard paintball would have worked?

SCpoloRicker
04-25-2005, 02:44 PM
AO search "FN303" (http://www.automags.org/forums/search.php?searchid=412443)

/obligatory ;)

luke
04-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Try this>

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=FN303&btnG=Google+Search