PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bike Oil

WickeDKlowN
04-24-2005, 08:49 PM
We've got a TTr90 and a TTR125 that have been around here for a few years, been beat to hell, and still run great. But, to my knowledge, the oil has never been changed in either of them. Do I really need to buy special motorcycle oil for them(if I do, what kind? I don't really wanna pay out the nose for it, so I don't need top-of-the-line stuff), or will plain ol' 10-W40 motor oil do the trick?

dj89
04-24-2005, 09:52 PM
They need "special motorcycle oil", there hondas they last for ever. Did you see my 1979 z50?

Use the honda oil from your dealer, its the best.

Destructo6
04-25-2005, 02:39 AM
Yep, you need motorcycle specific oil.

Oil in most motorcycles does more than just lube the engine. It also lubes the transmission and bathes the clutch. The oil for motorcycles usually include a friction modifier to keep your clutch working properly.

If you use regular automobile engine oil, you may experience clutch slippage as a result.

Just go to your local motorcycle dealer and buy the specified oil. You can go crazy and buy some Royal Purple or you can just buy the Yamalube/Honda Oils/Maxima/etc.

jpdgas
04-25-2005, 03:37 AM
As said before, you need bike specific oil. The weight depends on the temperatures you ride in, there should be a chart in your manual if you have one. The oil should be changed often, especially since the oil in the ttr lubes the tranny, clutch and everything else in the engine without a filter, not to mention that four strokes run pretty dang hot. Some people change it every other ride. Not sure what yamaha recommends for the ttr, but I change the oil in my yz every second or third ride, depending on the hours and conditions.

Check out http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37
and search for "oil" for more info

skife
04-25-2005, 12:08 PM
They need "special motorcycle oil", there hondas they last for ever. Did you see my 1979 z50?

Use the honda oil from your dealer, its the best.

i had one of those, it was red, and had a 3 speed "semi-automatic" transmission. honda made them for years that were almost the same exact bike except for different plastic.... i wish i still had the thing, best bike i ever owned.

dj89
04-25-2005, 01:47 PM
i had one of those, it was red, and had a 3 speed "semi-automatic" transmission. honda made them for years that were almost the same exact bike except for different plastic.... i wish i still had the thing, best bike i ever owned.

Stoped making them in 1998. Took it all apart to look it over, motor is like new just need a few parts the riped when i was taking it apart.

WickeDKlowN
04-25-2005, 04:25 PM
We had some weird Honda 50 back in the day. But my mom drove it into a ditch so my dad sold it cause he was afraid we'd get hurt or something.

WickeDKlowN
04-25-2005, 06:19 PM
I was that some people over at TT were reccomending Shrll Rotella T Synthetic so I went to Wal Mart and picked up a gallon of it. No slipping, no smoking. Seems good to me.

I'm gonna change it again this weekend to make sure I have any crap that accumulated over the years out.

mxracer33x
04-26-2005, 01:01 PM
After racing for most of my life, I found that the Special oils are not necessary. Instead use regular motor oil, and change it frequently. In a 4-stroke like your TT-Rs are, it wont make any difference runnig the "special" oils. I also ride XR100s as play bikes, and I can guarantee you that unless you ride yours wide open in first gear for 2 miles that you wont be as hard on it as we are. I use castrol 10w-30 and change it after every ride. The synthetic oils will acutally increase clutch slipage and that increases wear. I think I pay lke $0.93 for a quart of castrol 10w-30. If you do this, your engine & clutch will last a very long time.