PDA

View Full Version : Automag efficiency?

funeralplanner
04-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Seems like my mag is an air hog. What can I do to make it more efficient? I have an X valve, ULT, Intelleframe and so on. Would a different bolt spring make any difference?

jaredborne
04-26-2005, 04:43 PM
I would like to knwo also

I am only getting 200-250 shots off my 47/3000 i know its a small tank but i shoul be getting more than that

Counterfeit_Syn5304
04-26-2005, 05:13 PM
Mags from my experience arent that efficient. Plus, they need around 800 psi in the tank to function properly. at 68/45 tank suits me well but I'm in the process of getting a 92/45 for my emag cuz I shoot back and dump a lot of paint because my emag can shoot crazy fast!

funeralplanner
04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Okay, I guess that is that. Too bad. If anyone knows, what would or should I expect out of an 88/45?

jenarelJAM
04-26-2005, 10:43 PM
um, 200 shots is low. my mag gets around 700 off of a 68/3000 (shot 600 and had about 1300 psi left) and someone i talked to using a mag w/ ult and a 47/3000 got 400 off his. i think you might want to take apart your xvalve, and just clean everything with alchohol. i did that once(silly me, i did it b4 i ever played with it :p ) and it took about 30 minutes. it wasnt that hard once i got the dang thing unscrewed. just use a strap wrench and a LOT of muscle.

funeralplanner
04-27-2005, 07:27 AM
um, 200 shots is low. my mag gets around 700 off of a 68/3000 (shot 600 and had about 1300 psi left) and someone i talked to using a mag w/ ult and a 47/3000 got 400 off his. i think you might want to take apart your xvalve, and just clean everything with alchohol. i did that once(silly me, i did it b4 i ever played with it :p ) and it took about 30 minutes. it wasnt that hard once i got the dang thing unscrewed. just use a strap wrench and a LOT of muscle.

Maybe the bolt spring makes a difference?

gothsqwd
04-27-2005, 09:20 AM
Level 10 will be less efficient than L7. I assume you have LX since you have an X-valve. Try making sure you are using the shortest spring that still prevents chops. the shorter spring is slightly more efficient. If your mag is new it could also need to be broken in. sit and dry fire a couple of tanks, oiling in between each one.

Also, make sure you are using the largest carrier that doesn't leak. using a carrier that is too small can lead to bolt stick and to poor efficiency.

Hope this helps you out.

hvnsmessanger
04-27-2005, 07:04 PM
I just wanted to know what i will get from a 68/45 tank, I have a classic valve for now

funeralplanner
04-27-2005, 08:11 PM
Level 10 will be less efficient than L7. I assume you have LX since you have an X-valve. Try making sure you are using the shortest spring that still prevents chops. the shorter spring is slightly more efficient. If your mag is new it could also need to be broken in. sit and dry fire a couple of tanks, oiling in between each one.

Also, make sure you are using the largest carrier that doesn't leak. using a carrier that is too small can lead to bolt stick and to poor efficiency.

Hope this helps you out.

I do have a LX. I put the red spring in and it seems to do a little better. I have a cut spring that came with it, I'll put that it and see what happens.....

What do you mean by "carrier"? When I slide the valve up and down, it doesn't "stick", but it sure isn't far off from it. I thought it was kind of tight compared to my 68 valve. I will try the cut spring, but if you could elaborate on the "carrier" bit that would be great.

Thanks

FP

gothsqwd
04-27-2005, 08:36 PM
I do have a LX. I put the red spring in and it seems to do a little better. I have a cut spring that came with it, I'll put that it and see what happens.....

What do you mean by "carrier"? When I slide the valve up and down, it doesn't "stick", but it sure isn't far off from it. I thought it was kind of tight compared to my 68 valve. I will try the cut spring, but if you could elaborate on the "carrier" bit that would be great.

Thanks

FP

Referring to the Level 10 Carrier. it's the little brass rings with the orings that come with the LX. If you check the disk and/or the forums you will find many sets of instructions on how to adjust the LX carriers. Try the stickies at the top of the forum under Level Ten.

funeralplanner
04-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Referring to the Level 10 Carrier. it's the little brass rings with the orings that come with the LX. If you check the disk and/or the forums you will find many sets of instructions on how to adjust the LX carriers. Try the stickies at the top of the forum under Level Ten.

Okay, perfect. I do have quite a few of these. I just bought the gun used and it came with all kinds of parts that I wasn't used to with my 68.

Is there any kind of video I could buy that shows you step by step like the one that came with my 68?

Thanks for the help goth, I'll check out the sticky.

gothsqwd
04-27-2005, 08:47 PM
There should have been a CD that came with the marker. It is business-card sized and shaped.

trains are bad
04-27-2005, 08:49 PM
'automag' and 'efficiency' look funny next to each other like that.

They are not really efficient, they are not really bad either, and there's not a lot you can do to help, except shoot a decent paint match and use a barrel that is not full of holes.

gothsqwd
04-27-2005, 08:52 PM
If you don't have the cd, if you have cd burning software, I can email you an ISO file that you can burn to a cd.

JKR
04-27-2005, 09:02 PM
I have a Classic valve and a SP Progressive barrel and I have been getting about 50-60 shots per oz of CO2. Not nearly the efficiency that I am used to with my Sniper II.

funeralplanner
04-28-2005, 06:37 AM
I've been looking for pics on what carriers are what. I see the groves and dots on each, but I don't know what they mean. I did find that if I change carriers, to take the o-ring out and put it in a new carrier. If someone could describe what is what, that would be great.

Goth,

I do have burning software and a dvd burner, however I have never burt an ISO, just an exact copy of a movie.

Carbon Blue
04-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Just to give everyone an idea I have an xvalve, lvl10, and ult

I shoot about 1800-2000rnds of paint for a whole days play and air cost me about 10-11$ per day at 1$ per 1000psi.

hitech
04-28-2005, 07:30 PM
What makes the 'mag valve(s) less efficient than they should be is that they continue to vent air from the dump chamber after the ball is gone from the barrel. Level 10 bolts use a higher pressure and therefore vent at higher pressure when the ball leaves the barrel. However, level 10 bolts reseal the dump chamber with a fair amount of air (pressure) still left preserving it for use with the next shot.

Want to make the 'mag more efficient? Try a longer (length measured to the first step or porting) effective length barrel. This should allow more of the air to be used, thus allowing you to achieve a higher velocity with a lower pressure in the dump chamber.

Let me know if it worked, and where you found the barrel. ;)

funeralplanner
04-28-2005, 09:47 PM
I did some changing around on my mag.

First of all, i put a carrier that had one line on it. I felt the one in it was sticking a little. The one I took out didn't have any lines on it. I went from the red spring to the cut gray spring.

I also went to Lowes and bought some full synthetic pump oil. Should last me oh.....30yrs...

I may change the carrier once more to a bit larger size. Does anyone know what would be next? The one I have in it now is 1 line and no dot I believe. Would the 2 line be next?

funeralplanner
04-28-2005, 09:50 PM
What makes the 'mag valve(s) less efficient than they should be is that they continue to vent air from the dump chamber after the ball is gone from the barrel. Level 10 bolts use a higher pressure and therefore vent at higher pressure when the ball leaves the barrel. However, level 10 bolts reseal the dump chamber with a fair amount of air (pressure) still left preserving it for use with the next shot.

Want to make the 'mag more efficient? Try a longer (length measured to the first step or porting) effective length barrel. This should allow more of the air to be used, thus allowing you to achieve a higher velocity with a lower pressure in the dump chamber.

Let me know if it worked, and where you found the barrel. ;)

I did win an older 10 inch Dye barrel last week. It has a muzzel break at the end, and that is it. 9 inches of solid barrel. Should work well. Almost as quiet as my ultralight.... But, VERY heavy....

Carbon Blue
04-28-2005, 09:51 PM
how does dry firing effect a guns efficiency?? I know it does, but what is the reason?

ShadowNife
04-28-2005, 10:43 PM
breaking in the orings and everything

it makes it so everythign operates smoother

Carbon Blue
04-28-2005, 11:14 PM
mabey i should clarify that. Why does dry firing a gun use so much more air as compared to shooting a gun with a paintball.

funeralplanner
04-29-2005, 06:30 AM
mabey i should clarify that. Why does dry firing a gun use so much more air as compared to shooting a gun with a paintball.

I'm going to guess that since there isn't a ball in the barrel, the air will expell faster than if there were a ball in the barrel?

hitech
04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
I'm going to guess that since there isn't a ball in the barrel, the air will expell faster than if there were a ball in the barrel?

Yup, that is exactly correct. :D

AGD202
04-29-2005, 07:45 PM
lol, mags and efficiency dont belong in the same sentence.... it just doesnt happen

funeralplanner
04-29-2005, 09:06 PM
lol, mags and efficiency dont belong in the same sentence.... it just doesnt happen

True. There really is no need for it either.

I changed my carrier a few times, along with the springs and have it running quite well now.

Question, while dry firing, when using the red spring sometimes the first shot would cough, reset and I could fire off a string. If I put the gray spring back in, it would shoot just fine. I really couldn't tell any diff between the two springs, but there must be something.

Is the red spring too light? I didn't shoot through the chrony after changing the springs, but I'm thinking I should have turned up the velocity to make the red spring work. Am I right?

Little_Ho
04-30-2005, 02:12 AM
shoots.....

CI x10 with a 3000Psi Tank
CI x15 with a 4500Psi Tank

example:

68/4500 Tank = 68x15=1020Shoots (theory)
68/3000 Tank = 68x10=680 Shoots (theory)

The mag is a Gashog. So you will get maybe around 700-800Shoots.

Little_Ho