PDA

View Full Version : The best Shampoos and Toothpastes?

Jakedubbleya
04-27-2005, 03:07 AM
OK, so we know everything there is to know about paintball, from regulators to efficiency, but do any of us know what particular brand of shampoo/toothpaste has the best bang for the buck?

Personally, ive been using pert plus forever, and people always tell me things like "thats bad for your volume" or some dumb hair lingo, and im like "but thats not what the commercial said".

Does crest really get teeth whiter?

Why the hell do certain bottles of shampoo cost 40$?

I really wanna know this junk, too many mornings have i stood in the shower wondering if i could just wash my hair with my body lotion/shampoo bar and get the same effect...

TOO MANY DAWNS HAVE I WONDERED IF I COULD JUST PUT MOUTHWASH IN MY MOUTH AND START BRUSHING INSTEAD OF BUYING TOOTHPASTE! :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

i bet one of you maggers went to beauty school...

Jakedubbleya
04-27-2005, 03:13 AM
Oh yeah and mary gauthiers mercy now album is insane.

Maggot6
04-27-2005, 06:55 AM
My sister says shampoo is costing 40$ because it has certain things for certain hair, like if you have poofy blonde hair, it will enhance your blonde color and get it not to be poofy..Or if you have black hair, it will get it to shine more and be straighter blah blah...

It's all a scam, just use the 10$ stuff...

Echo419
04-27-2005, 09:57 AM
My hair is really straight, and I really more on my conditioner than my shampoo...

Like i just use Suave green apple stuf for my shampoo

But i always use pretty expensive conditioner, cuz thats what does it for my hair... pretty much depends on your hair...

Oh yah on a side note, i also use Shining/Gloss Oil on my hair too :p

nippinout
04-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Salon stuff for women is quite expensive.

For most guys, all they want is to have clean hair, not beautiful/boucing/flowing hair.

Do you know how much shampoo and conditioner girls use in one shower?!?!?!?! It blew my mind how much they squirt onto their hands, it basically covers their entire hand!

I bet if you placed a cheaper shampoo into a $40 bottle, no one would notice the difference in the way the hair looked. But I guess I like girls to be pretty, and whatever helps them do that and not yell at me, slap me, or sue me - I support. :ninja:

Echo419
04-27-2005, 10:24 AM
It's sad i actually care what my hair looks like =( , since my hair is long and strait, its bassically just like a girls but shorter, so i use all those girly products i stated above :(

Lohman446
04-27-2005, 10:40 AM
Read the ingredient list of that $40 bottle and then teh ingredient list of various Head and Shoulders (or Pert, or whatever). It gets more confusing then.

Jakedubbleya
04-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Allrighty boys, since i room with methhead lesbians i had to travel elsewhere to find a good girly shampoo.
Went to the neighbors and stole their shampoo, its a bottle of NEXXUS THERAPPE LUXURY MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO. Its a big 1L bottle and supposedly cost 30$ at their salon, so i guess that makes it a mid-range shampoo.

Let us compare ingerdients:

NEXXUS (shuperpoo):
1.Aqua(Water)-Wtf? Like, dont we already get enough of this when we shower?
2.Sodium Laureth Sulfate
3.Cocamide DEA
4.Cocomidopropyl Betane
5.Matricaria (Chamomilla Recutita) Extract
6.Quillaja Saponaria Extract
7.Tocopheryl Acetate
8.Keratin Amino Acids
9.Panthenol
10.Avocado Oil
11.Allantoin
12.Soybean Sterol
13.Honey-But is it grade A honey? My hair just doesnt poof right with the grade B stuff.
14.Ceramide 3
15.Wheat Flower Lipids
16.Polyquaternium10
17.Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate
18.AlphaGlucan Oligosaccaride
19.Butyl Methoxydibenzoylmethane
20.Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate
21.Styrene/Methacrylic Acid/Itaconic Acid Polymer
22.Myristic Acid
23.Palmitic Acid
24.Stearic Acid
25.Magnesium Citrate
26.Sodium Chloride-I know this one!
27.Polyglyceryl3 Distearate
28.Polysorbate60
29.Guar Hydroxypropyltrimoniumchloride-definitely dont know that one
30.Methylchloroisothiazolinone
31.Methylisothiazolinone
32.Citric Acid
33.Propylene Glycol
34.Propylparaben
35.Methylparaben
36.Perfum (Fragrance)-wtf?

Pert Plus (for normal hair):
1.Water
2.Ammonium Laureth Sulfate
3.Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate
4.Glycol Distearate
5.Sodium Chloride
6.Cocomide MEA
7.Dimethicone
8.Cetyl Alchohol
9.Fragrance
10.Sodium Citrate
11.Polymethacrylamidopropyl Trimonium Chloride
12.Sodium Benzoate
13.PEG 14m
14.Dihydrogenated Tallowamidoethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate (hes a bad boy)
15.Disodium EDTA
16.Citric Acid
17.Ammonium Xylenesulfonate
18.Methylchloriosothiazolinone
19.Methylisothiazolinone
20.Yellow 10
21.Blue 1

Staiano Shampoo Bars:
1.Goats Milk-now we're gettin somewhere
2.Purified Spring Water
3.Olive Oil
4.Coconut Oil
5.Palm Oil
6.Soybean Oil
7.Canola Oil
8.Castor Oil
9.Sweet Almond or Jojoba
10.Herbs
11.Essential Oils or High Quality Fragrance
12.Silk Fibers

Thathathatha Thats All Folks!

So, get analyzing lohman:)
-------
Ive decided:

In my very professional and experienced opinion, i say pert is better because its shampoo AND conditioner! AAAND it has the single longest ingredient Dihydrogenated Tallowamidoethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate!

Goats milk bar soaps come in a close second tho.
-------
Seriously tho, can somebody analyze this stuff?

Lohman446
04-27-2005, 03:19 PM
I think.. for me... well my hairs like a quarter inch long so shampoo brand doesn't really matter (I use Head and Shoulders) and my five year old daughter picks hers out based on what it smells like and the character on the front so....

personman
04-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Um... my mom buys me pert plus?

Alley
04-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Ok ....well I have really long hair...And I usually use department store stuff.
My favorites are
Pantene Pro V
Herbal Esscenses (the rainforest flower stuff) smells very girly though :)
and thermasilk when I need to use a hair dryer It actually works pretty well at keeping it from drying out.

Stuff I wont use
Suave
White Rain
VO5
These are terrible they make my hair feel like straw.

My Favorite Toothpaste is Aqua Fresh Extreme clean because it doesnt taste like mint and cleans really well too!

VFX_Fenix
04-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Eh... The secret to healthy hair is DON'T PUT STUFF IN IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Seriously... The stress from styling hair and using "product" in it really messes with it. The other problem is that once hair's been damaged through some process (like dying) the damage is perminent. (I really don't know where that came from... but anyway)

TRESemme -

Water (Aqua) <- Solvent
Sodium Laureth Sulfate
Cocamidopropyl Detaine
Polyquarternium-39
Quaterium-22
Polquaterium-10
Panthenol
Tocopherylacetate <- Soap Constituants
Cocodimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolized Wheat Protien
Prunus Amygladus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract
Corylus Americana (Hazel) Leaf Extract
Helianthus Annuus (Sun Flower) Extract
Propylene Glycol
Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract
Epilobium Angustifolium Extract
Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Fruit Extract
Butylene Glycol <- "Healthy Feeling" and moisturizing bits
Cirtic Acid
Ammonium Chloride
DMDM Hydantion
Tetrasodium EDTA
Fragrance (Parfume) <- Other misc. and Stabilizing agents

My mom's used stuff from Salons to Salon Selectives and consequentally so have I. Personally I can't tell the difference between something like... I dunno... Paul Mitchel and Pantine Pro V. Granted I'm sure someone will argue up and down that there's a difference but I think it's all in the head.

The only time I can think of that I had really damaged hair was after I had it colored and absolutely nothing could bring that back. Find what smells nice, doesn't cost too much, and makes doing what ever you do to your hair easier (not necesarily in that order but, meh). The difference between Suave, Pert Plus, and TRESemme... they smell different and Pert leaves my hair feeling a little different after it dries out, but those are the 3 shampoos that are in this house and everyone likes them for different reasons.

Anyway... Best Toothpaste... Crest Expressions CItrus or Cinamon... I don't like mint flavored tooth paste.

Migz
04-27-2005, 05:41 PM
This may sound funny but I use Pert plus or suave for kids or other similar kids shampoo. The reason I have long hair and they are loaded with detanglers. Make combing it after alot easier. In the way of tooth paste I use colgate total.

Jakedubbleya
04-27-2005, 06:12 PM
so what about the mouthwash thing? can you substitute toothpaste with mouthwash?

BlackVCG
04-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Umm... no. You actually need to physically brush your teeth to remove the tartar build-up before it turns to plaque.

Mouthwash is like water, so it's not exactly something you can use to brush your teeth with, so that's why there's toothpaste.

Mouthwash is a good fix in the morning to remove breakfast breath and give you a fresh mouth feeling without the time to properly brush your teeth.

nippinout
04-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Someone needs to have a toothpaste that doesn't interfere with the great taste of orange juice.

Jakedubbleya
04-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Umm... no. You actually need to physically brush your teeth to remove the tartar build-up before it turns to plaque.

Mouthwash is like water, so it's not exactly something you can use to brush your teeth with, so that's why there's toothpaste.

Mouthwash is a good fix in the morning to remove breakfast breath and give you a fresh mouth feeling without the time to properly brush your teeth.

you dont rinse your mouth with toothpaste man.

I said what about replacing toothpaste with mouthwash, as in put in mouthwash, then brush teeth with mouthwash still inside...

:D :confused:

AcemanPB
04-27-2005, 11:54 PM
My mom's friend owns a salon and is always sending me products to try and give her opinion on. Lately I've been using Crew shampo and conditioner for me. I guess its alright and it certainly doesn't smell girly. I honestly can't tell a difference between inexpensive and expensive shampos, but I do have rather short hair.

Arson51
04-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Someone needs to have a toothpaste that doesn't interfere with the great taste of orange juice.

Dosent orange juice taste bad because its acidic while toothpaste is basic?

My favorite toothpaste is the simply bright from crest.

davidb
04-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Dubbleya, what toothpaste is, at its most basic, is a mild abrasive or polish. The main purpose of brushing your teeth is to use the brush to apply said abrasive/polish to basically scrape away plaque and buff up your teeth a little. Of course, nowadays toothpaste has other ingredients for doing other things, but the main idea is still there. Replacing your toothpaste with mouthwash would be like trying to smooth out your kid's pinewood derby car with a box of kleenex because you didn't want to buy sandpaper.

I doubt if I've ever used the same shampoo or the same toothpaste two bottles/tubes in a row, so I guess you could say I don't have a strong preference..

Jakedubbleya
04-29-2005, 05:30 PM
Dubbleya, what toothpaste is, at its most basic, is a mild abrasive or polish. The main purpose of brushing your teeth is to use the brush to apply said abrasive/polish to basically scrape away plaque and buff up your teeth a little. Of course, nowadays toothpaste has other ingredients for doing other things, but the main idea is still there. Replacing your toothpaste with mouthwash would be like trying to smooth out your kid's pinewood derby car with a box of kleenex because you didn't want to buy sandpaper.

I doubt if I've ever used the same shampoo or the same toothpaste two bottles/tubes in a row, so I guess you could say I don't have a strong preference..

Thank you sieb :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

WickeDKlowN
04-29-2005, 05:54 PM
I use plain Head & Shoulders and plain Crest.

I use to get bad dandruff(probobly from never taking off my hat) and tried some fancy shampoo crap that burneed like a mofo due to some Tea Tree extract BS. Ended up going to Head & Shoulders after that and it works just as good or even better then the $30 stuff.

Arson51
04-30-2005, 01:27 PM

I heard some where that toothpaste is basic to create a hostile evironment that prevents bacteria from growing in your mouth as you sleep. Some bacteria also create acid as waste when they breed which burns away at your teeth, the basicidity (sp?) of the toothpaste helps protect from corrosion aswell.

Jakedubbleya
04-30-2005, 06:10 PM
now we're getting somewhere... Fun facts on toothpaste (and bacteria poo) there guys.

Lets brainstorm some ideal shampoos for guys hair.

Oily: something like those hotel shampoos that really make your hair feel sticky and extra clean.

Normal: Shamppo?

Dry: full dose of conditioner with lemon scented palmade for that "O' Brother where art thou?" George Clooney look:)

davidb
05-01-2005, 12:53 AM
I'm a Dapper Dan man. :D

M-a-s-sDriver
05-05-2005, 12:09 AM
If you like to actually smell, well, like a man, try the Art of Shaving products. Everything is natural, and you feel like a million bucks after you use them.
My wife thinks the sandalwood and lavender stuff smells very masculine and SEXY BABY!
The shampoo is great. Try Tom's of Maine for toothpaste. After you use it you will notice other toothpastes have a bad aftertaste.
Brent.

Chipper
05-07-2005, 02:38 PM
I'm a Dapper Dan man. :D
The whole time I read this thread I kept thinking about that.

I use whatever I pick up first thats cheap and smells good. As long as I don't have stuff growing in my hair I'm good.

Same kind of think with toothpaste, I usually use Colgate Total, I like the minty flavor.