PDA

View Full Version : I feel stupid and I need help... LOCTITE!!!

DyNo!
04-28-2005, 07:07 PM
:cuss:

An airsmith told me to put red loctite on the feedneck of my ULE for a twist lock rise...

I want it taken off...

Is there any way I can remove the feed neck without breaking it off (ruining the ULE) or harming the anodizing (By using heat).

Someone suggested dipping it in gasoline...

I don't want to make it worse but I would really like to get this off...

In the worst case, I can get a new ULE but I want to use the one I have...

personman
04-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Heat it up with a hair dryer or something that will give off alot of heat, then take a strap wrench to it and use ALOT of muscle. It shouldn't be much of a problem.

DyNo!
04-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Heat it up with a hair dryer or something that will give off alot of heat, then take a strap wrench to it and use ALOT of muscle. It shouldn't be much of a problem.

Doesn't it take 400 degrees to do that?

This is the rise and I don't think I can get a good grip on it...

http://www.pbreview.com/pics/1068624474.jpg

personman
04-28-2005, 07:36 PM
I dont know about 400 degrees, but I do know that a hairdrier will help if nothing else. Red will be hard to get off, but it's not impossible so dont panic. Do you own a strap wrench?

Counterfeit_Syn5304
04-28-2005, 07:39 PM
you can also try boiling it water or just keeping the feedneck and ule body under very hot water from the faucet. Then twist like there's no tomorrow. Hopefully it works...Otherwise take it back to whoever you got it and tell them to do it.

DyNo!
04-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I have a strap wrench but there is nowhere for it to grip the rise...

The rise has a chrome like finish and it is very slippery...

personman
04-28-2005, 08:11 PM
Arent there threads under the top part?

Well, if worst comes to worst, and if you dont plan on using that feedneck again, you could lock it in a vice and twist til' the cows come home... It would probably scratch up and bend the feedneck but atleast it would be off :p

Skywalker
04-28-2005, 08:49 PM
That's an A+ feedneck. That's what I have on my ULE body. However I didn't use red loctite. That was completely unecessary. Oh well here is what you do. Put it in boiling water for atleast a half hour, if not longer. Wrap the body in a towel and place it in a vice. Take the top off of the feedneck so you can get a better grip with the strap wrench. Use a little elbow grease and it should come off. If it doesn't just sell that body and buy another. I will take no responsibility if you ruin your body or feedneck. Good Luck.

DyNo!
04-29-2005, 12:17 AM
That's an A+ feedneck. That's what I have on my ULE body. However I didn't use red loctite. That was completely unecessary. Oh well here is what you do. Put it in boiling water for atleast a half hour, if not longer. Wrap the body in a towel and place it in a vice. Take the top off of the feedneck so you can get a better grip with the strap wrench. Use a little elbow grease and it should come off. If it doesn't just sell that body and buy another. I will take no responsibility if you ruin your body or feedneck. Good Luck.

When installing the feedneck, I bent one of the retaining prongs. I believe that the structural integrity of that prong is compromised. It bends easily (I know not the bend it) and, there is a line in the metal where it bends. I would also like a lower profile feed neck...

I really don't want to take any chances with the prong breaking on me...

I really want to take it off.

Same plan?

I posted on another forum and the other users said this:

Heat shouldn't damage the ano. The ano finishes are quite durable. I've heated up bodies to get red loctite out a few times and havent had any problems with hurting the ano at all. Next time, use blue loctite.

Me

I will definitely use blue next time. Any ideas of what I should use to take off the rise? I don't care if I ruin the rise, I just want to keep the body. The whole thing will be waaaay too hot to use a strap wrench on...

If you really don't care about the feedtube, then pliers or even a vise grip would probably your best bet.

Does that sound right?

personman
04-29-2005, 07:04 AM
It'd be really hard to get it off with pliers. Set it in a vice grip.

And it shouldnt be too hot for a strap wrench...

Mer
04-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Acetone,

Acetone will soften loctite.

It won't harm the aluminum but will eat any plastic parts so don't get it on them.

Use a small paintbrush, the artist type and brush the acetone around the joint. Keep it wet and it should loosten the loctite in awhile.

Skywalker
04-29-2005, 06:02 PM
Whatever you do don't use any kind of loctite next time. Mine is on snug as hell without any loctite. As long as you twist it all the way in it shouldn't go anywhere.

AGD202
04-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Boil it, and dont EVER loctite anything other than connections that need to be sealed.. use pipe tape or blue loctite

Nobody077
04-29-2005, 07:46 PM
I would get yourself a cheap heatgun(A blow dryer on steroids 800+deg) and heat slowly heat the feedneck threaded area and at the same time twisting on the feedneck with the strap wrench/visegrips/ pipewrench. Heat wont hurt the anno but to much heat could cause the ule body to warp, one important thing to rember is let the body cool down naturaly, DO NOT use water to cool it, quickly cooling hot aluminum will warp it.

awilli234life
04-29-2005, 09:37 PM
umm i have the same problem with a neck on my bushy i just gave up --- the air smith i used to work with all he had was red loctite i now use the liquid teflon tape good up to a ridiculius amnt of pressure -- but verry messy...... I have never had any reason to take it off// Heres a good question does anyone know how to get a oring to unswell so i can get a barrel tip off a 8 year old new out of the package 2 peice barrel apart (meaning it has been in the original package for 8 years)