PDA

View Full Version : Virginia statutory rape laws

Kira McLane
05-03-2005, 06:37 PM
My younger brother, who is 18, got his 15 year old girlfriend, of six months, pregnant and her father is threatening to press charges I was just wondering how likely his case is to make it to court if the girlfriend is unwilling to testify. I was also wondering what the consequences would be if my brother was to be found guilty. His girlfriend may be able to hold off the trial until she is 16. Would that make my brother's chances of winning the trial any better? One last question...is there any law that says that a parent is legally able to force their daughter, of whatever age, into having an abortion against her will, even if the father is on the other side of 18?

Python14
05-03-2005, 06:50 PM
well, I don't know the laws that well because well, I just did my best to not get into a stupid situation like your brother.

Short and skinny is this.....Your bro messed up Big time and he is gonna get in trouble big time. I hope he didn't already have plans for the rest of his life because they are no more. Sorry.

teufelhunden
05-03-2005, 06:53 PM
My younger brother, who is 18, got his 15 year old girlfriend, of six months, pregnant and her father is threatening to press charges I was just wondering how likely his case is to make it to court if the girlfriend is unwilling to testify. I was also wondering what the consequences would be if my brother was to be found guilty. His girlfriend may be able to hold off the trial until she is 16. Would that make my brother's chances of winning the trial any better? One last question...is there any law that says that a parent is legally able to force their daughter, of whatever age, into having an abortion against her will, even if the father is on the other side of 18?

So, uh, what's the catch? Nobody's first post on a paintball forum is asking legal questions.

Glickman
05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
seems familiar...

THE ANSWER TO ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=lawyers&btnG=Google+Search)

Kevmaster
05-03-2005, 07:07 PM
while i am NOT A LAWYER and strongly suggest you TALK TO A LAWYER....

Virginia Age of Consent is actually 18. Hes pretty much screwed if the father decides to go for it. I belive a pregnancy test will confirm they had sex--whether she testifies or not. Moreover, i believe it is the state's decision who to prosecute and who to leave alone. If the father reports it, i think it then becomes the state's place to investigate. And hes SOL if they press charges, looking at jail time. Sucks to be your brother.

again, I AM NOT A LAWYER AND SUGGEST YOUR FAMILY TALK TO A LAWYER

gc82000
05-03-2005, 07:09 PM
First off let me say your bro is screwed.

Even if the GF was to hold off the trial till she was 16 the fact that intercourse happened prior to her becoming 16 still means he raped her. And now they cannot even deny it cause well she is pregnant. Your brother might get a lenient sentence though but that maybe all. The US is very adament about its stand on sexual predators and after you Bro goes through trial that is exactly what he will be labeled.

As for the father forcing an abortion on his daghter that one will be very hard to make happen in court especially now with the whole 13 year old Florida girl trials. plus the fact that she is going to be 16 (right) the baby is born she might be able the leave the house and move in with a family that might take her in and care for her and the baby. this means your family if you did not see what that meant. Also by doing this the court might even lessen or drop the case if there seems to be adequate proof of love. (yeah right a long shot if even possible.)

And I say this as a discalimer I am not a lawyer but have some experiences helping out lawyers with cases that require an outside opinion and I am not familiar with Virgiania law only with Guam's Code and it states the a child is still a child till 18 and even at the age of 16,legal age of consent, there are exceptions to the statutory rape cases.

Slimm Jimm
05-03-2005, 07:18 PM
My younger brother, who is 18, got his 15 year old girlfriend, of six months, pregnant and her father is threatening to press charges I was just wondering how likely his case is to make it to court if the girlfriend is unwilling to testify.

I don't know the exact legal lingo but anyone under 16 is unable to consent to intercourse. Which means, your brother raped her in legal.

I was also wondering what the consequences would be if my brother was to be found guilty.

amputation maybe :eek: ;)
actually, mt law says something along the lines of 4 years to life.

His girlfriend may be able to hold off the trial until she is 16. Would that make my brother's chances of winning the trial any better?

She was 15 when to offense was committed, her age at the time of prosecution is irrelevant.

My Question: Is your brother more concerned about winning or his girlfriend or baby?

One last question...is there any law that says that a parent is legally able to force their daughter, of whatever age, into having an abortion against her will, even if the father is on the other side of 18?

Don't know, but I have little respect for someone that would do such a thing. Nor do I have much for your brother.

The long and the short of it is, your brother be screwed.

Oh, and ask a lawyer, don't take our word for fact.

Will Wood
05-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Yea, no offence, but what the heck, seriously, first post here and we get this..

But I'd say they are going to side with the girl.

MarkM
05-03-2005, 07:36 PM
So, uh, what's the catch? Nobody's first post on a paintball forum is asking legal questions.

I agree something is suspect...and with the fancy font too, perhaps a long standing member trying to get clever...

Thread closed.