PDA

View Full Version : Low pressure MAG

SINIKA CAPTAIN
11-24-2001, 09:29 PM
I have some great ideas for making a mag very low pressure kind of like a free flow cocker but with more volume. If anyone has any constructive criticism to offer i will greatly take it and i will keep you all posted on my progress as of tommorrow

Miscue
11-24-2001, 10:12 PM
There is no reason to lower the operating pressure. Low pressure does not make for better design. Better design makes for lower pressure.

PyRo
11-25-2001, 02:21 PM
If I were you, i would post my idea here first. Someone has probably tried it already, and could tell you how it worked out. We could also point out potential problems with your idea as well.

Dragoon
11-26-2001, 07:39 AM
Sinika,

I'd listen to the guys above.
There is a huge pool of experience on this board to draw from.

Douglas

SINIKA CAPTAIN
11-26-2001, 01:59 PM
thats why I asked And if ya have any ideas iam open for all of them

Dragoon
11-26-2001, 02:11 PM
Well for what it's worth here is my limited knowledge on low pressure mags.

Smart Parts tried to do a lower pressure mag with the Smart Mag, but it didn't come to much.

I also belive that one of the levels before the current level 7 valves that AGD now produces was a lower pressure version (now I know I may be wrong here so if any of you know for sure please step in - I think it was mentioned in the automag video). But, it was not found to help performance.

Now that being said, isn't the Jax Warrior Emag changed in some way to make it lower pressure. And isn't that going to be the new Aluminum valve. (nothing here being fact, just the ramblings of my often-times wrong memory);)

What is it your thinking about?

Douglas

PyRo
11-26-2001, 03:52 PM
Level 7 doesn't run at a differant pressure. The magic box is what SP made. Decreased pressure a little, went a little easier on paint, and increased shootdown. They had to do major work on the air valve to install this though, so they just made the smart mag, which was a regular air valve with an increased chamber size.

Miscue
11-26-2001, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure there was a pressure difference somewhere... either between levels or maybe within the same level a while back... I forgot.

The Smart Valve was made by AGD for SmartParts, basically it had a larger pressure chamber and I think it ran about 50psi lower is all. I dunno about it being easier on paint. It's kinda like removing your car's HEAVY ashtray to get better fuel economy.

Dragoon
11-26-2001, 04:25 PM
Miscue

I think it was around level 5 were a larger chamber was tried. I'm am of course trying to remember something seen once on TV from about 4-5 years ago. But level 5 keeps jumping to mind.

Douglas.

PyRo
11-26-2001, 04:28 PM
They still make smart valves, i'm pretty sure. And removing your ash tray will increase fuel economy a tiny bit.
Ever hear about those german race cars from back in like the 30s. I forget what they where, they where a little too heavy so they took the paint off and made it. Even if its just at tiny bit it does make a differance :)
Just because it is so small, does not mean it does not exist.

Manuel_FZR
11-26-2001, 05:00 PM
...good example with the silver arrows! ;)
Another one: If one Formula1 (or Indy) Team works so hard, or finds something smal, that it could be 1% (only one little percent) better than the rest - at a average laptime of 100sec. per race it would be 1sec - and this are ages in racing!.
So ... every little thing could be a big step forward!

PyRo
11-26-2001, 05:02 PM
Silver Arrows :)
/me smacks himself

Thordic
11-27-2001, 10:02 AM
Pyro is a post whore :)

manike
11-27-2001, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Thordic
Pyro is a post whore :)

Pot calling kettle black?... ;)