PDA

View Full Version : Corn maze paintball!

Skoad
05-07-2005, 07:47 AM
For our senior year project we had to come up with a business, actually apply for a loan and make a profit by the end of the semester (after paying off loan/interest). All our profits go to a charity of our choosing.

Well basically we chose to start a web design business, as most of us were already familiar with building websites in the past n such. Well one of the sites I got a contract to build was for a corn maze. I never really knew about these but it seems a lot of people build/attend these events where they take acres of corn fields and cut a maze into them and have kind of a corn amusement park.

Well in meeting with the woman I'm building the site for she mentioned one of the weekends they play paintball in the maze. I was intrigued at this being a paintball player myself. She sent me the layout of the maze they are going to cut for this fall (knights and dragon theme). She said she may be able to hook me up with a free pass, I wonder what this is going to be like :) Looks like mass confusion to me.

Has anyone done something like this before? I've seen pictures of other corn mazes, man these things get complex!

I think she said this was going to be over a total of 10+ acres of cornfield. This is a model of the one they are doing.

shartley
05-07-2005, 08:12 AM
It is an interesting concept, but I would not advise it. Even if folks ARE doing it, I would not advise it. These mazes do not give much chance for shooting at any real distances. I think they lead to too many situations where players are simply too close for safe play.

Again, it is a “neat” idea, just not one that I would feel is safe enough to let the general public play in (let alone my children). Maybe if you reduce the velocities like they do for indoor play? That would be the only way I would consider it…. maybe.

Also another thing to consider is how hard it would be to officiate players in this environment. As well as how they can get OUT of the field after being marked out. Lots to think about, and I don’t think they have really given it much of a thought…. aside how cool it would be. Sure they may be “doing it” now, but I doubt it is safe or really much more than what you said…. Mass confusion.

Sorry if this is not in good order, just getting my mind running this morning….

slade
05-07-2005, 08:58 AM
yeah, i actually thought of that when i was in a corn maze a few years ago, and it would be sort of fun but there are a lot of problems, like how do you get out after youre hit and the fact that with all the "bunkers" you can only shoot out of the vertical side of the corn, its not like in a speedball course where there are angled bunkers like a dorito or bunkers like a snake. maybe it would be more fun if it was limited paint, like everyone used pumps or pistols.

Codekevin0403
05-07-2005, 09:02 AM
holy crow. it would be a pretty big change wouldn't it? Like you turn a corner and BAAM you get shot in the stomach.

dynastyfan
05-07-2005, 09:07 AM
i saw something like thatin an issue of APG ithink it was lasy year. it sounded like alot of fun to me.

Pyrate Jim
05-07-2005, 09:13 AM
We wanted to try it with lowered velocities due to the proximity, but ran into the snag that the farmer who used the corn as silage didn't want painted corn.

slade
05-07-2005, 09:16 AM
holy crow. it would be a pretty big change wouldn't it? Like you turn a corner and BAAM you get shot in the stomach.
youre the second one to say this, but its not that bad, its the same as getting bunkered.

...then again, i am the guy who still has the mark on his arm and a hole in the t-shirt hes currently wearing from when he was bunkered last november...

and then theres the bump i have on my head from when i was bunkered a few months ago...

yeah, yeah maybe its not such a great idea after all :rolleyes:

covadsucks
05-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Instead of paintball in the corn, use a waterballoon with water soluble paint mixed in -I know ya'll remember that crappola er Crayola paint from grade school? Some of that stuff would work great. Kind of like some of the rec ball grenades people use. You can get cheap coveralls from paint supply houses for next to nothing and the risk of someone getting busted up is reduced some.

MidnightRider
05-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Two years ago I went to one of these games. It wasn't bad but people started to cut thru the corn instead of staying on the paths. Thus new paths were formed. Eventually nobody was using the paths and the refs became overwhelmed with trying to keep control. Lets just say that was the first AND last time a cornmaze was tried for a paintball game in this area. :D

Peace

MR :cool:

AGD202
05-07-2005, 06:04 PM
i had to work in a corn maze, it was about 10 acres and had a TON more trails in it... it was Walrips NAPA car in the Nextel Cup.

All i can say is even with a map, they are impossible to get around them! I was sent to find 6 certain places.... it took like 3 hrs cuz im retarded like this.

Skoad
05-07-2005, 06:06 PM
i think i actually saw a helicopter shot of that car one, it was nuts! i can't believe they can cut the fields like that.

JimmyBeam
05-07-2005, 06:12 PM
wow. looks like fun

AGD202
05-07-2005, 06:17 PM
you probably did see it... they had a thing on ESPN about it

Here is a web site to the maze pic (http://www.maizevalley.com/)

68bird
05-07-2005, 08:42 PM
ive seen it befor on google this field had a corn maze scenario it was pritty intence cuz the corn was only about 5 feet.

50 cal
05-07-2005, 09:01 PM
It's been done in Knoxville Tn a few times. It's actually a lot of fun. We played a few "Last man standing" type games.