PDA

View Full Version : Laser Trigger

Wassupstranger67
05-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Check this out, a local paintball store is going to start production on this soon. A freestyle with a Laser Trigger, and I shoot it!!!!!!!! This thing rips!!!! They say it will be around $1000 for there version of the gun. Sorry about the pic quality I took it with my phone. :shooting:

Vex
05-09-2005, 12:50 AM
There's actually no "trigger" and you just use your finger(s) to break the beam for contact...am I close, or dead wrong?

Blazestorm
05-09-2005, 01:01 AM
Yep, I heard about it, but it's illegal in national events... so meh...

JimmyBeam
05-09-2005, 04:00 AM
heh...cant get any lighter of a pull than that

CrimsonGhost
05-09-2005, 05:12 AM
Yeah, its a cool "toy" but...it is illegal in national events.
There HAS to be an ACTUAL PHYSICAL trigger.
There are a few of these mods around.
At one point I had rigged a Revi eye to a Defiant and used it as a trigger.

Cool though :cheers:

Pyroboy597
05-09-2005, 06:22 AM
would it defeat the point of walking the trigger? or does the laser go vertical enough to see your seconds finger as well.. looks cool tho, u could have a lot of fun with that and an electric toothbrush. i wonder if u put the metal piece from the tooth brush barely touching the laser and turned it on would if fire at like 30bps? (in reality an electric toothbrush vibrates much faster than that)

shartley
05-09-2005, 06:33 AM
As stated, it will not be allowed at any national tournaments, and probably not allowed on standard fields either if they know it is there. I am against these types of triggers simply for safety reasons.

If you set your standard triggers so sensitive that it goes off by simply tapping the marker (and when you set it down) your marker will be removed from fields (and with good reason). THIS trigger (loosely stated) is even worse. Anything passing in front of the laser will shoot the marker. It does not differentiate between a finger, leaf, part of your equipment when standing around, or anything else.

It is one thing when someone fools around with this type of thing on their own, for their own use, on their own property… but when a local paintball store starts making these and SELLING them, it is a step in the wrong direction for paintball IMHO. They really need to think about more than making a buck. Think about it, there is a REASON standard marker manufacturers do not already make these for public sale… and it isn’t because they “can’t”.

Twiek
05-09-2005, 06:42 AM
As stated, it will not be allowed at any national tournaments, and probably not allowed on standard fields either if they know it is there. I am against these types of triggers simply for safety reasons.

If you set your standard triggers so sensitive that it goes off by simply tapping the marker (and when you set it down) your marker will be removed from fields (and with good reason). THIS trigger (loosely stated) is even worse. Anything passing in front of the laser will shoot the marker. It does not differentiate between a finger, leaf, part of your equipment when standing around, or anything else.

It is one thing when someone fools around with this type of thing on their own, for their own use, on their own property… but when a local paintball store starts making these and SELLING them, it is a step in the wrong direction for paintball IMHO. They really need to think about more than making a buck. Think about it, there is a REASON standard marker manufacturers do not already make these for public sale… and it isn’t because they “can’t”.

You hit the nail on the head.

fire1811
05-09-2005, 07:14 AM
what if the eye gets dirty

all in all not safe.

Lohman446
05-09-2005, 07:36 AM
It fails on a lot of levels - I would think you would get a "auto-response" trigger as well, the marker firing when you broke the beam going back and going forward if you went through it - unless theres nto enough room for your finger to travel all the way through the beam. And as stated all national rules discuss trigger requirements, which this does not meet

Pyroboy597
05-09-2005, 01:56 PM
i agree that this is down right dangerous.. how many of us carry our guns around, hand on trigger? i can say that most of us do, even when we are going back to staging tables simply because we have control over when it will shoot and wont shoot. If you were to leave the gun on (assuming there is no safety button) and went to show someone something, all it would take is for u to get near the trigger guard and that thing would fire ATLEAST 1 shot. I agree 100% that people messing around with these on their own property is great, but people are going to be disapointed with their new 1000 dollar laser trigger gun when the field owners tell them to find a new gun or leave.

Lohman446
05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
What could happen in a high wind situation where it was dusty? Could dust block the "eye" enough to fire, could rain, could snow? What about when your out and walking off field with your marker still "live" and a paintball - or splatter - interupts that eye, will it fire then? Too many unknowns (at least to me, maybe they have tested them) to like this idea.

68magOwner
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
i would think that it would be slower/harder to keep rythm than with a a standard trigger, not to mention its not legal either way, cool for show, but, pointless

bound for glory
05-09-2005, 02:11 PM
just another step on the road to paintball ruin.

AcemanPB
05-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Lighten up guys, its kind of unique and I think its a cool idea. I'm sure most of us with electros with "normal" triggers are equally as sensitive. They do have barrel condoms and safteys and I don't think a little bit of innovation is ruining paintball.

Glickman
05-09-2005, 02:30 PM
just another step on the road to paintball ruin.

if the army never tried to make c4, we would never have silly putty.

never know, something positive might come out of this, such as a better trigger actuating laser system

BD_Paintball
05-09-2005, 02:33 PM
most people turn there guns off when they are not on the field so you dont have to worry about it shooting when you are not on the filed b/c it will be off. i think its very cool and it bet it can rip.

fire1811
05-09-2005, 02:36 PM
most people turn there guns off when they are not on the field so you dont have to worry about it shooting when you are not on the filed b/c it will be off. i think its very cool and it bet it can rip.

actually I have to agree with 68magOwner on this one. I also think it would be harder to keep a steady, fast rythem. you would have to completly move your finger out of the beam and back in.

BD_Paintball
05-09-2005, 02:42 PM
actually I have to agree with 68magOwner on this one. I also think it would be harder to keep a steady, fast rythem. you would have to completly move your finger out of the beam and back in.

well as i see it the beam is lined right up to the back of the grip so when you touch the back it would shoot. so its like walking a trigger but the "trigger" does not move, you just hit the back of the grip. and there is no play, side to side movement, and it would be very shot "trigger" pull. so i would say you would be able to shoot it faster b/c it does not move at all. :shooting:

fire1811
05-09-2005, 02:44 PM
is that just glare on the bottom of the trigger frame or does the beam connect there?

VFX_Fenix
05-09-2005, 02:45 PM
This, like the Air Trigger mod for the BUshmaster, while cool, is sadly not legal because of the requirement for a "triggering lever". Ah, screw it, I think I'll just do the Air Trigger mod for my E-Mag... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!! (more later)

MarkM
05-09-2005, 02:46 PM
All that is being done is moving an optical break beam trigger activation to the outside. Instead of a metal/carbon fibre/plastic part to activate it your finger will do the same job as will a leaf twig etc etc...dangerous pure and simple even with a very short trigger pull on a current break beam trigger at least something has to be moved not as this is set up.
The technology already is in use so it isn't anything new except the danger of an accidently shot.
As for the comment of guns being turned off...yeah right :rolleyes: stand around any safe zone at whichever field and count how many times in a day someone fires into their barrel condom...if it is even fitted...take a look around at that same safe zone and count how many guns actually have their condom in place. For show and bragging rights to display the stores prowess with technical stuff it is good...as a take to the field conversion downright dangerous.

BD_Paintball
05-09-2005, 02:49 PM
maybe where you play ppl dont turn off thier guns. but where i play guns are off all the time when we come off the field.

fire1811
05-09-2005, 02:52 PM
maybe where you play ppl dont turn off thier guns. but where i play guns are off all the time when we come off the field.

Im in IL also and have been to im pretty sure all the fields in the state and there is always someone who does not turn off there gun.

Lohman446
05-09-2005, 02:54 PM
About playing with it.. if you can't feel where the trigger starts how good can you snap shoot with it... I mean lean out and fire one ball right when you want to?

68magOwner
05-09-2005, 03:00 PM
well as i see it the beam is lined right up to the back of the grip so when you touch the back it would shoot. so its like walking a trigger but the "trigger" does not move, you just hit the back of the grip. and there is no play, side to side movement, and it would be very shot "trigger" pull. so i would say you would be able to shoot it faster b/c it does not move at all. :shooting:

...i can already set up my trigger so it does not move at all (the flex of hitting it can make it fire) and turst me, it is much slower than a properly setup trigger, as well as harder to keep rythm on, as previously stated

AGD202
05-09-2005, 03:17 PM
you all flame that trigger.... not only do they make even worse things and sell them... but that think looks P I M P... maybe dangerous but it looks sweet...

On top of that, when people lighten their trigger so that all they have to do it tip the gun up a little and the bounce WILL shoot the gun over and over again, i would consider that trigger a lot safer than a lot of trigger setups people can go out to a field with.

Lohman446
05-09-2005, 03:20 PM
you all flame that trigger.... not only do they make even worse things and sell them... but that think looks P I M P... maybe dangerous but it looks sweet...

On top of that, when people lighten their trigger so that all they have to do it tip the gun up a little and the bounce WILL shoot the gun over and over again, i would consider that trigger a lot safer than a lot of trigger setups people can go out to a field with.

I would assert that those triggers, in most places, are illegal as well. I agree with MarkM on this though, its an awesome "shop" project, to do for looks or to proove exertise, yet it still does not pass the "good idea for the field" test.

yingyang
05-09-2005, 03:24 PM
its a cool idea, but can you just hold ur finger there and let er rip?

Pyroboy597
05-09-2005, 03:37 PM
ying yang prolly not, its break beam eyes i think which means u have to break them once for everyshot?

Maggot6
05-09-2005, 03:55 PM
That would be cool, but it'd be nice if they had a feature where you could just put on a real trigger like every other freestyle (or marker) and go along merrily legal at feilds... If that was the case, I'd consider buying it.

Glickman
05-09-2005, 05:35 PM
if the laser is facing down:

with ur hand, pretend u walking a trigger, how big a space is there between ur finger when u go to use the other finger.

so itll be a really big problem, one finger will often stay withen the laser's path

jenarelJAM
05-09-2005, 10:28 PM
sounds like something from one of those sci-fi movies...

Thunder Bunny
05-09-2005, 10:47 PM
Can I put one on my Pump Mag?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahem HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

JimmyBeam
05-09-2005, 11:04 PM
just wait........

in 5 years, just watch, its going to be on alot of guns. personally i think its cool, just have it set up to like .5 mm in front of the back of the frame so your just basically tapping the trigger frame to fire

onedude36
05-10-2005, 08:32 PM
I actually think its safer than a crazy light trigger. light switches with heavy triggers bounce, this wont bounce. 1 shot into a barrel condom, even if the blocker isnt fitted, isnt a danger. having an unfitted blocker and having a bouncey gun shoot 12 off is a danger. the first will take teh cover off, teh rest could hurt someone. This trigger really cant bounce as I see it. I think its neat that someone started offering this. And about the leaf argument, it would set off a super light trigger as well, if not shoot it more that it would shoot on this 'lazer trigger'

With the ever changing tournament game we might soon we will see tournaments allowing this...

Glickman
05-10-2005, 08:42 PM
I actually think its safer than a crazy light trigger. light switches with heavy triggers bounce, this wont bounce. 1 shot into a barrel condom, even if the blocker isnt fitted, isnt a danger. having an unfitted blocker and having a bouncey gun shoot 12 off is a danger. the first will take teh cover off, teh rest could hurt someone. This trigger really cant bounce as I see it. I think its neat that someone started offering this. And about the leaf argument, it would set off a super light trigger as well, if not shoot it more that it would shoot on this 'lazer trigger'

With the ever changing tournament game we might soon we will see tournaments allowing this...

what are you smoking? you dont think it would be harder to avoid an invisible laser then a physical object?

likely to have shots fired off while grabbing the gun

ShadowNife
05-10-2005, 11:10 PM
what are you smoking? you dont think it would be harder to avoid an invisible laser then a physical object?

likely to have shots fired off while grabbing the gun

meh with new technology would come new safety mechanism. Very simple way to solve the problem would be in addition to turning it off, have a fiberglass tube run where the laser is. That way the laser is not broken and it makes it physically impossible for the finger to break the beam. Very low cost and should work as far as I see.

as for the idea, i think its a great idea, cept for me, a lil trigger slop rather than the uber short pull makes it faster and easier for me to pull fast

Wassupstranger67
05-11-2005, 01:27 AM
When I shot this gun, it was really easy to walk!! One of the best electronic frames I have ever shot. It gets a little trigger bounce too, witch would be tournament illegal. You guy might think it is more dangerous, but I think it’s just as safe as any other gun out there. It doesn’t matter what kind of gun it is or if it loaded or not, you always treat it like a loaded gun. You use the gun safely like your suppose to and know one will get hurt. Also if the gun drops off a table it won’t shoot. I have plenty of electro’s that if you bump them on the back of the gun they will shoot.

shartley
05-11-2005, 05:13 AM
meh with new technology would come new safety mechanism. Very simple way to solve the problem would be in addition to turning it off, have a fiberglass tube run where the laser is. That way the laser is not broken and it makes it physically impossible for the finger to break the beam. Very low cost and should work as far as I see.
LOL Yeah, I see THAT happening. How many would lose the “safety tube”, or break it? And then how many would actually USE it? Think about how many people still fail to use their safeties, let alone having them have to use an ADDITIONAL safety device to make their marker “safe” when not in use.

Also, all of you who are trying to justify how unsafe this trigger would be by pointing out how unsafe many people have made their triggers already….. weak argument. I will also point out that most super unsafe triggers didn’t come that way “out of the box” (to my knowledge), while this one would be.

BUT, on another note… I would bet that you can still walk or fan a standard trigger faster than you could shoot this laser trigger anyways. And once people realize this, their sales will come crashing down.

This is another example of just because you CAN, it doesn’t mean you SHOULD. Nor does it mean it is “better” than what is currently being used. But it does lend itself to the “hype monster” which far too many paintball players seem to follow as God.

Lohman446
05-11-2005, 06:12 AM
One of the best electronic frames I have ever shot. It gets a little trigger bounce too, witch would be tournament illegal. .

Trigger bounce, at least to me, is the weight of the trigger combined with the recoil of the marker, and "bouncing" off your finger, to set the switch again, how does this bounce - it doesn't seem to me to have the required weight of the trigger.

Wassupstranger67
05-11-2005, 02:02 PM
Trigger bounce, at least to me, is the weight of the trigger combined with the recoil of the marker, and "bouncing" off your finger, to set the switch again, how does this bounce - it doesn't seem to me to have the required weight of the trigger.

When you brake the beam with your finger the recoil will move the gun so I will break the beam again. You can hold your finger on the edge of the laser and the gun has enough recoil to keep the marker shooting.

Teamslayer76
05-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I don't know about you all but I remember this being brought up in Action Pursuit games years ago. Even they said its wasn't safe and would never make it. Anyone else remember this? It must have been 99-00? Maybe but I remember it from somwhere