PDA

View Full Version : Disney's 50th Anniversary

RoadDawg
05-09-2005, 01:06 AM
Ok... first off.. I admit I love Disneyland.

With that said I went through the madness that was "opening" of the 50th year celebration of Disneylands opening. :headbang: The morning started out a bit rough but by the end of the night it was fantastic. The opening ceremony was a media only thing (which plugged up the front of Sleeping Beauty's castle) and blocked off a good portion of the park. Instead of having several ways to go, people were limited to two. Frontierland or Tomorrowland. Either direction there were another thousand(s) there with you.

Anyways.. as the day moved on... it started getting better. We saw a remote control "trash" can chasing a lady down a walkway telling her to come back(it was pretty funny). Mickey climbed the Matterhorn and placed a flag at the top. (I'm sure it was easy but it's still got to be tough in a Mickey costume) They debuted their new parade, which is one of the best I've seen, the best is still the Main Street Electrical Parade. Following that there was the best darn firework show I've EVER seen. I was expecting stuff behind the castle and that was it. Instead there were fireworks launched pretty much all around us. Plus they also themed some of the fireworks towards the rides. For example they did Pirates of the Carribean. They put a skull and cross bone flag on the Matterhorn and the pirates were yelling over the speakers. Then boom... a firework shot out of the Matterhorn towards frontierland and vise versa back. It was pretty sweet. Anyways... to make a long story short... I had a blast and recommend anyone that likes Disney and fireworks to go and give it a whirl. I've been back twice since then (I'm an annual passholder :cheers: )

If people are interested I can try to post some pictures.

Eatem Alive
05-09-2005, 01:19 AM
me and the family are gonna have to check that out this year. i love disney almost as much as i love star wars...and they have a star wars ride :headbang:

Vex
05-09-2005, 01:24 AM
me and the family are gonna have to check that out this year. i love disney almost as much as i love star wars...and they have a star wars ride :headbang:
Star Tours is THE BEST RIDE!!! If for nothing else, because it's frickin' Star Wars!!
A very close second is the Indiana Jones ride--it is way cool!

I haven't been to Disneyland since '96--I used to go a couple of times a year when I lived in SoCal...I miss it :cry:

RoadDawg
05-09-2005, 08:48 AM
Star Tours is fun... but I can't wait for Space Mountain to return on July 15th. The new Buzz Lightyear ride is pretty fun too. Ahh who am I kidding I like just about all the rides except Small World.

pbzmag
05-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Star Tours will be changing the film finally. Should be within a few years. Lucas will finally have some time to work on it. I remember waiting at least two hours when it opened. Hell, I even remember when Captain EO opened. Yes, that was MJ when he was balck. :eek:

Vex
05-10-2005, 01:24 AM
Star Tours will be changing the film finally. Should be within a few years. Lucas will finally have some time to work on it. I remember waiting at least two hours when it opened. Hell, I even remember when Captain EO opened. Yes, that was MJ when he was balck. :eek:
Michael Jackson aside, Captain EO was pretty cool! The 3D effects, combined with the lasers in the theater were awesome!
I also remember waiting 2 hours to ride Star Tours--at least there's plenty of stuff to keep you interested while you wait!
I'm glad to hear that they will be changing the film on the ride--about freakin' time! I always thought that they should have had a couple of different films at the same time anyway.

stondroopy
05-10-2005, 04:14 AM
Im going on the 23rd through 27th with the family. I cant wait, I too am a big disney fan,it drives my wife nuts :D I dont get, it how can you not love Disneyland?Kinda bummed to hear that space mountain is still closed :( Oh well still gonna be a great time...You think 28 is to old to have breakfast with the characters? :D

Vex
05-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Im going on the 23rd through 27th with the family. I cant wait, I too am a big disney fan,it drives my wife nuts :D I dont get, it how can you not love Disneyland?Kinda bummed to hear that space mountain is still closed :( Oh well still gonna be a great time...You think 28 is to old to have breakfast with the characters? :D
Dude...you're never too old for Disneyland or for breakfast with the characters! Give Snow White a little pat on the tush for me! ;)

stondroopy
05-10-2005, 05:26 AM
Dude...you're never too old for Disneyland or for breakfast with the characters! Give Snow White a little pat on the tush for me! ;)
ill pas on snow white, she lives with seven dwarves and a pince, Im not being 9th on that line :D :eek:

RoadDawg
05-10-2005, 08:35 PM

I go there about every 3 or 4 days. I like watching the fireworks and the parades. I absolutely loved it when they would pick people from the crowd and allow them to be in the parade (I did it twice).

Things to check out if your into the plays and what not:

Snow White (over by Toon Town)- very good show
Aladdin (Hyperion Theater) in California Adventures- Real good show
Fireworks in front of the castle... unbelievable
Electrical Parade at California Adventures is pretty sweet if you like old school.
The new 50th parade in DLand isn't too bad.
Fantasmic- Is good but the fireworks are better.

I wish they would get S.Mountain up and running soon, but they've already bumped it up from November. Also the submarines are being redone, this time in a Finding Nemo theme. So that is something to look forward to.

RoadDawg
05-10-2005, 08:45 PM
Test to see the picture.

ej_y4
05-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Test to see the picture.
wow they did anwsome job fixing up the castle

RoadDawg
05-10-2005, 09:29 PM
They did a great job with the castle.

Here is a look down Main Street USA from the train station. This pic was taken at about 2pm.