PDA

View Full Version : Sights?

Chipper
05-09-2005, 03:28 PM
Do you think they are worth it? I am considering this for a my new Phantom which is pump, and that is very different then semi, but you don't need to consider that.

jenarelJAM
05-09-2005, 03:49 PM
i used my friends phantom which he put a $40 army sight on. i used it for one game(we switched guns) and shot about 80 rounds through it. i noticed that even when iw as trying to shoot slow and accurately, i didnt use the sight at all. this was in woodsball, and i honestly wished it wasnt there, it jsut made my (or his) gun a larger target.

Maggot6
05-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I don't think they are worth it..Unless you just like the look of it.

FireITup14
05-09-2005, 03:52 PM
i shoot for feel. i think its better cas you get to the point where you dont have to aim down a site you just know where it goes.

Nexus
05-09-2005, 03:55 PM
I would have a hard time believing any argument that said that sights are not any more accurate the instinct shooting; firearms and bows have demonstrated that they are more accurate. However, the question still remains whether they make a noticeable difference due to the natural inaccuracy of paintball guns.

peewee
05-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I use a clip on dot site ( dote like the 2001 PGP front site) got it off ebay frpm SP they have two sizes. I like it because it gives me a point of reference to gauge against.

BD_Paintball
05-09-2005, 04:21 PM
the ball does not go straight so a sight will not help.

temilotzin
05-09-2005, 04:24 PM
I use an Armson pro dot sight on my Bushmaster pump and find that, especially for pumps, they are helpful.

DiSoRdeR
05-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Ive never use one and Im doing pretty good, its all about personal preference. I would try one out before I bought it if possible, to make sure if there for you or not. For some it doesnt work, and for others it does.

Jakedubbleya
05-09-2005, 05:34 PM
you already got a sight, its called your barrel:) double vision your barrel and shoot where they meet at the end if you really need a point fo refernance. Trying to look through a sight every time you shoot will cripple your snapping game, and it doesnt help accuracy at all.

I actually got banned from the phog for bashing sights so much lol.

Asian_Sensation
05-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I would have a hard time believing any argument that said that sights are not any more accurate the instinct shooting; firearms and bows have demonstrated that they are more accurate. However, the question still remains whether they make a noticeable difference due to the natural inaccuracy of paintball guns.
arrows and bullets dont shoot like paintballs.... paintballs are filled with paint which is mostly liquid which molds the ball into a inaccurate projectile.. it will never acheive the accuracy of a bow or bullet. but as one said up in here b4 they can help by seeing where your shot are going in scenario or woods which makes a lot of sense. it's all about style of play and personal preference as many had said b4. :wow:

Glickman
05-09-2005, 06:37 PM
this is why u dont use pansy drops :p

look down the body and barrel of the marker

AGD202
05-09-2005, 07:11 PM
if u want to be acurate w/ a paintball gun u just gotta get the feel for where they shoot

JRingold
05-09-2005, 08:48 PM
Honestly, it's a personal preference. Some people try to argue garbage that because a paintball doesnt fly straight, but in an arc that a sight doesn't do any good, yadda, yadda, yadda. In reality, they just don't know how to use one effectively. The sight isn't there to show you the direct path to your target, it's there to give you an approximation of where it should hit the target.

I use one on my phantom and only on my phantom. I sight it in to be relatively accurate at about 75'. RELATIVE is the key term. If I can hit a CD sized target 8 out of 10, that is relatively accurate enough for me. When using the phantom, I'm not out there to long ball, I'm there to crawl and get in close and attempt a limited shot elimination.

The major problem with them is that if you don't know how to adjust for distance, wind, elevation, etc. they really are more of a hinderance. You have to use it and learn how to use it, if you want to be effective with it. It works great in the basement with reball, and no wind, but then again, that's only about 40' and there's no liquid in the ball... It's a cheap investment, so what the heck, you might like it, it might help you, or you might hate it and it might hinder you.

Glickman
05-09-2005, 09:03 PM
orrr.... just look down the barrel.

cheapest mod you can get!

common sense :rolleyes:

gc82000
05-09-2005, 10:28 PM
cheapest mod you can get!

common sense :rolleyes:

Plus it will help you for the rest of your life. :cool:

jenarelJAM
05-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Plus it will help you for the rest of your life. :cool:
qft

urbansix
05-09-2005, 11:07 PM
Totally a personal preference, I'm sure.
I use my sights all the time and love them. I have red dot reflex sights, but was thinking about going to a ghost ring setup. Obviously they do not tell you where the ball is going to hit, since paintballs aren't that accurate. But they DO tell you exactly where the gun is pointing, which helps make the first shot count. I have found them invaluable in pump play, not having the luxury of ranging shots or walking the shots in like one may tend to do with semi. For semi play I have found them to decrease the amount of paint used overall, and increased elimination ratio.

Without the sights I would have to pay attention to where the first few shots are hitting, and adjust accordingly. With the red dot you know you have it lined up right, and more often than not, the first few shots get the ellimination.

I play mostly scenario and rec woodsball. I am also and old fart with failing eyesight :argh: , and don't play frequently enough to be able to devine the direction the paint will go by mere feel.

Glickman
05-09-2005, 11:41 PM
*ducks for incomming flames*

well, since a pump usually has more time to build up pressure, i would say it might have a slightly flatter & more consistant trajectory, or atleast the ones ive shot compared to my semi's so i can see why they are more desirable in stock games

alooney11
05-10-2005, 12:04 AM
only for looks.

Outlaw5
05-10-2005, 12:52 AM
Chipper, I think you need to look at the sight question for what a sight in paintball would be beneficial for. In paintball we know that our markers aren't the most accurate things over distance, so cross hairs and Military dot sights don't exactly help in our accuracy.

What a sight can do in paintball is give the user an ability to "scout" with a greater degree through a sights magnification. This magnification will allow a user who is "scouting" or looking at obvious hiding places, to discern with greater detail and allow them to pick out opponents or objects that might not "Look" right.

Now at closer ranges, after alot of practice, you could use the sight to focus in on smaller areas to squeeze a paintball through but to me it was always miniscule.

Now when looking for the perfect "Sight", you want a sight with moderate magnification, ie. not so high that the field of view is very small. A small field of view reduces your ability to quickly identify an area and a potential target because of the concentration it takes to focus and the time used to get the sight in the right "Spot" to look.

A red dot sight with a x3 or x5 magnification should be good for your needs. Remember, in woodsball seeing an opponent first can give you an excellent advantage for ambushes or understanding where your opponents are pushing. Defeat the push and win the game.

Now in a speedball game I believe any advantage would be negated and probably a disadvantage because of the extra equipment on the marker, making the process of getting tight very difficult.

Hope this gives you an idea of what I think a sight would be good for, I used to use a sight on my old Mini-mag. Good luck and its just my 2 cents.

kurama
05-10-2005, 01:01 AM
I played a scenario game with an ancient PTP site on a PGP. It was quite helpful actually, but I would have definately preferred a 2x or 3x zoom scope on it instead so that I could use it to see targets from further away and spot people. For speedball, its just extra weight and profile though.

VFX_Fenix
05-10-2005, 03:44 AM
Short Answer -

If you intend to use a sight, be ready to learn how to shoot all over again since using a sight will require adjustments to your sight picture and stance which means crummy accuracy for a little while. They do work for paintball, just not "out of the box".

Read on if you want -

It's all about sight picture and posture. Some people can't use sights in paintball if they're on other people's guns because not everyone's sight picture is a little different. I know that I only use a sight in specific situations and usually only in treeball. The sights I use are OEG (Occluded Eye Gunsights) and are very low profile (the old ADCO Swifty's if anyone remembers those). Most of the time I forget it's on there when I'm playing normally. The other thing to consider as to why people have trouble using a sight in paintball has to do with posture, specifically if you're used to shooting with a perticular relationship of your head/arms/hands/gun and you alter that so you can use another device, you might as well be shooting an entirely different gun. Try shooting your gun in a way you've never shot it before (like shooting right handed but with your head in a different spot than usual).

Anyway, paintballs in all practicallity aren't going to be as consistant as your cheapest, crummiest, Wal-Mart special sight. However with a good set-up your paint will fall in a tight enough pattern most of the time to make a sight effective enough to at least get a feeling of where to point. Also consider that if you use a sight like an OEG or Reflex/Red-Dot and use it often enough it'll become second nature to use it and some will wonder how they ever got along without them.

Most of use are what are called "instinctive shooters" meaning that we have a feeling that this is the right place to shoot to put a ball where we want it. For the longest time I refused to put a pin sight on my recurve bow and after much pressure finally put one on, it took weeks before I could shoot and hit anything again. However, now that I know how to use it I simply can't shoot without it. So there's a trade-off there, and I'm sure there's one with paintball too, but anyway.

Jakedubbleya
05-10-2005, 03:50 AM
Learn to use the barrel guys....

Anyway yeah, sights are good for one thing only, scouting on mega huge fields, but maby you should just bring binoculars...?

shartley
05-10-2005, 05:09 AM
Learn to use the barrel guys....

Anyway yeah, sights are good for one thing only, scouting on mega huge fields, but maby you should just bring binoculars...?
Binoculars would work… but when you scout with a scope your marker is already in firing position.

As stated by others, sights and scopes CAN be good. But they are used a little different than when on a standard firearm. They are mostly for general target acquisition at reasonable distances, and can be used for actual aiming when close up. For those who think that you can’t use them to actually aim with, you are wrong. If you can aim your marker with NO sight on it and hit something, why would putting a site on it make you NOT hit it?

Sights, scopes, sight hoods, you name it, they ALL work. It is a matter of preference and what works best for the individual and for the situation. I think too many have just gotten into the habit of putting balls downrange and adjusting them in.

And not every situation requires the shooter to “snap shoot” either. But with that said, people who use scopes and other sights don’t use them all the time, they can still sight down the side of the marker just like everyone else. The thought that if someone has a sight they don’t know how to use the barrel or side of the marker to aim is silly.

“It’s your thing…. Do what you wanna do…”

TheTramp
05-10-2005, 09:07 AM
Binoculars would work… but when you scout with a scope your marker is already in firing position.

Exactly. I got a scope to use during scenario games and it lets you use the magnification without putting your marker down or dealing with extra straps etc.

tyrion2323
05-10-2005, 12:17 PM
I'm going to put a 5x scope on my Intimidator.

VFX_Fenix
05-10-2005, 08:00 PM
I'm going to put a 5x scope on my Intimidator.

:rofl: