PDA

View Full Version : SUV's for a 16 -17 year old

maxama10
05-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Okay when im between the age of 16 and 17 (like a year and a half from now) my dad might buy me a used suv... i was thinking about a 99-01 landrover discovery or like a 98 toyota 4runner

Discovery:
Base price:$33,995
Engine: 3.9-liter V-8, 188 hp
Transmission: four-speed automatic
Wheelbase: 100.0 in
Length: 185.2 in
Width: 74.4 in
Height: 76.4 in
Curb weight: 4576 lb
Fuel economy: 13/17 city/highway
Safety equipment: Airbags, four-wheel ABS, Four-wheel Electronic Traction Control (4ETC), Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD), Hill Descent Control (HDC)
Major standard features: Dual-zone automatic climate control, power windows, heated door mirrors, eight-way power seats, split-fold rear seat, tilt steering wheel, rear fog lights.
Warranty: Four years/50,000 miles; includes roadside assistance

Im thinking around $16k...(?)

' 1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4 Dr Sport Utility':
3.4L V6 183 hp
Manufacturer Code 8668
Wheelbase 105.3"
Overall Length 178.7"
Curb Weight 3,940 lbs.
Gross Vehicle Weight 5,250 lbs.
Seating Capacity (Std/Max) 5/5
Payload Capacity N/R
Towing Capacity (Std/Max) 5,000/5,000

keep in mind i live in a suburb of augusta Ga so....yeah :tard:

Around 15K...(?)
what do you all think
and also im only 15 so.... ive got a while to think about it just a little excited ya know :rolleyes:

Dayspring
05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
How about a nice minivan or something? SUV's drive a whole lot different than cars do and being an inexperienced driver, you're probably better off.

rkjunior303
05-11-2005, 04:50 PM
First car?

Go with:

http://jasonrumney.net/chiko/Croatia/24%20Yugo.jpg

gimp
05-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Get one of these bad boys.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001NDZQW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

maxama10
05-11-2005, 04:52 PM
How about a nice minivan or something? SUV's drive a whole lot different than cars do and being an inexperienced driver, you're probably better off.
Maybe a car but no way in hell am i driving a minivan
then again who says im inexperienced and also ill be about 17 so..... :nono:

Codekevin0403
05-11-2005, 04:54 PM
i dunno about dayspring said

My mom is always telling me that she won't let me drive in a car until i've driven in a "tank" or so she says.

Lohman446
05-11-2005, 04:57 PM

That about sums up what happens when arrogance meets inexperienc

Unless there is a compelling reason (not it looks cool) for an SUV I would highly recommend a different choice for a variety of reaons ranging from safety to mileage.

Alley
05-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I agree with the inexperienced driver bit, If you have a habit of showing off and wanna speed around in a car which most teens do SUV's are way harder to control bigger so they take longer to stop and cant turn like they are on rails .....So, Only if you plan to drive all responsible like should you take on the SUV. Also, insurance is higher and gas is like twice as expensive.... So be prepared to get in pretty hard in the wallet. I have a car and an SUV..... As a daily driver cars are alot more economical.

Kevmaster
05-11-2005, 05:25 PM
I disagree with the anti-suv argument about saftey.

yes, they are slightly more prone to tipping. I'll give you that. BUT when you get in a wreck with a small car (sportscar through compact...even some mid-sized sedans) you will WIN. Not that you want someone to lose, but I sure as hell don't want it to be me. I've driven a toyota hilander for four years now. it was my first car. I know that if i get in a wreck with just about anything other than a mac truck, im going have the car on my side and if any car could save me/help me, it would be mine.

it gets ~20ish milage, which isnt good but isnt intolerable and runs like a freaking top. I love my toyota. Im coming from a family of toyotas and hondas. So, we like our cars to run forever.

Personally, i highly recommend an SUV (or an older-model benz) for a young driver and Toyota makes GREAT cars.

WickeDKlowN
05-11-2005, 05:34 PM
Get an old Bronco or K5 Blazer. Those really are tanks.

SCpoloRicker
05-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Between those two, definately Toyota. Rovers are for afficianados (like everything British :p ) who don't mind a trail of parts following them around. Parts and labor will also be exorbitant.

/wants a 110 Defender badly
//sorry Britons, but I've had two MGs and a Triumph in my family

MedicDVG
05-11-2005, 05:50 PM
I disagree with the anti-suv argument about saftey.

yes, they are slightly more prone to tipping. I'll give you that. BUT when you get in a wreck with a small car (sportscar through compact...even some mid-sized sedans) you will WIN...
You would think that wouldn't you. However, I can tell you as a professional paramedic with nearly 15 years of experience, SUV's suck when it comes to crash protection.

They are very high -- any oblique hits to the front or side will put you over. You are 3 times more likely to be seriously injured when a vehicle rolls onto its side, and about 10 times more likely if it rolls over.

I have seen many SUV vrs. smaller cars, and there really isn't much difference when it comes to compartment intrusion and occupant protection. If you hit a small car head on, your SUV will sustain significant damage as well as the car. The engine blocks are much heavier, and I have seen them break off the motor mounts and intrude through the firewall. I have seen tranny's pushed up through the floor, and I have seen "roll bars" collapse upon the occupants. I have seen seats and seatbelts fail and come off the hardpoint mounting devices. Lets face it, most crash devices are rated for 25mph or less - a crash at highwayy speed will mess you up if you are in a bus, or a passat.

Now I am not saying that they are unsafe in general; rather I am saying that it is a myth to think that you will come out better then the other guy in a significant wreck.

So I chuckle when I see "what is the best SUV for a 16-17 y/o." I would say there isn't one.

digitard
05-11-2005, 06:01 PM
I agree.

I once saw an SUV smash into a Fierro (plexiglass death trap). It hit it at a weird angle and it FLIPPED the SUV and mearly ripped a side panel off the FIERRO.

The SUV was upside down in the intersection and the fierro was chillin' there w/ just some body damage (probably some frame damage, but who can tell).

gamarada717
05-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Look for something around a 1995 Yukon GT.

LudavicoSoldier
05-11-2005, 06:04 PM
You can never go wrong with a Toyota 4Runner. They are EXCELLENT vehicals. Rovers are expensive to fix, so unless you are best buds with a Rover tech, I'd go with the 4Runner. I don't need a car right now (live 2 blocks from work), but if I did, it would be a 4Runner hands down.

Miscue
05-11-2005, 07:26 PM
4-Runner.

Alley
05-11-2005, 07:38 PM
I was in an accident involving a large toyota truck (lifted and large tires) I wasnt driving but, we collided with a VW .....the smaller car created a ramp for the big truck we flipped and ultimately landed on the passanger side of the truck (where I happened to be sitting) ..... The accident required me to be life flighted and several screws inserted into my arm....I'd say the best way to win an accident is not to get in one :) drive safely teenager. ;)

Lohman446
05-11-2005, 08:01 PM
The problem with the SUV size argument... it only matters if you are in one with the wheelbase to be stable (Suburban, Excursion). If you are dealing with something that has a shorter wheelbase they become prone to rolling in an accident. And your "I weigh more" argument is not that true. Look at the weights of the larger cars (Taurus, Bonneviles, the big Mercedes) and they are not exactly light vehicles.

Python14
05-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Jeep Cherokee....hands down.

I flipped mine twice (chill out, I was fourwheeling. It's part of the game.) and not only did I not crush it, It was plenty safe to drive afterwards(I had it checked out at the dealership after both rolls.

Honestly, I think more kids need Jeeps.

WickeDKlowN
05-11-2005, 09:04 PM
Two of my friends just got Jeep Wranglers(one's a '90 YJ, other is a '04 TJ). I almost want one now because they're badass vehicles, but they're just not me. I've driven both, and I don't know if it's because I dont care for standard's unless it's a car or what, but I prefer my truck to them. I just wish my truck was 4x4...

ej_y4
05-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Jeep Cherokee....hands down.

I saw one flip when it got tboned :eek: , anyway get what ever you want. Toyota is a great choice, they are not to expenise to mantain.

rehme
05-11-2005, 09:17 PM
no you need a truck. i have a 78 ford f-250 and that is a safe ride. it has been rolled a couple times in different ditches not by me but it is still going. it has 4 wheel drive. and a 400 and it can pull anything and anybody. if somebody hits it all well. i can tear the hell out of it all i want because it aint worth anything. best part is it is a ford

PyRo
05-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Lets face it, most crash devices are rated for 25mph or less - a crash at highwayy speed will mess you up if you are in a bus, or a passat.

I disagree I took my 91 camaro into a telephone poll at a minimum of 70mph (I'm not sure exactly I was going over 100 when I lost control and went about 40ft with the wheels locked up on dirt). The only injurys I got were a mag lite I kept next to my seat flying into my ankle and a tiny nick on my hand from some broken glass climbing out of the window.
I just got lucky I caught it just to the driver side of the engine so it didn't push the motor back and the car spun around the poll absorbing all the momentum. That spinning also cause the 50lb floorjack in the back to be launched out of the hatch a good 30ft instead of directly into the back of my head.

Lessons learned:
Don't drive like an idiot
If you don't want it flying at your head at 50mph don't have it in the car

Of the two definatly the Toyota it's going to be more reliable, cheaper to maintain, and probably get better gas milage. Cherokees are your friend though :)

slateman
05-11-2005, 09:30 PM
I don't think I'd get an SUV for my kid's first car. My parents had one and it was defintiely not a good idea. Honestly, an old, but realiable, beater is what you want. Easier to fix, runs on minimum amount of maintaince.

But in that case I'd probably have to agree with getting the 4runner

Dayspring
05-11-2005, 09:32 PM
That made me laugh... ;)

best part is it is a ford

warpspyder
05-11-2005, 09:53 PM

Got something against mini-vans huh? 1998 PURPLE Ford Windstar. Man that thing's bad :cuss: . With the window that doesn't work and the :cuss: moose on the antenna. Makes me fell very manly. You should get one.

mcveighr
05-11-2005, 09:59 PM
Since youll be 17, why dont you jsut get sometihng cheap and good on fuel.

Vex
05-12-2005, 12:57 AM
At 17, you need a KIA Sportage or a Hyundai Tucson. We don't need 17 year olds driving Sherman tanks down the highways while they dick with their iPods and talk on their cell phones.

MarkM
05-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Between those two, definately Toyota. Rovers are for afficianados (like everything British :p ) who don't mind a trail of parts following them around. Parts and labor will also be exorbitant.

I agree with you, A Discovery is not a good idea unless you have deep pockets for parts (you will need parts) They drive like a boat in a storm and change gears when they feel like it unless you drive sensibly. The Defender is a different vehicle altogether and a whole different driving style other than being the same company they are like chalk and cheese to compare them...oh another thing to think about with the Rover group cars, they just went bust (about a month ago) so parts prices are going to skyrocket.

Inline with other replys here about buying an SUV as a first driver, not the most sensible thing in the world but then given the costs of both of the vehicles asked about it would be a fair guess to assume that this is not being paid for by Maxama10 and the money would be better spent on a car not an SUV.

Kevmaster
05-12-2005, 07:44 AM
i strongly believe in the size argument. i will grant you, though, that anything above 30-40mph headon and your likely gunna be f'd no matter what you're driving. but what cars are regarded as the safer cars? benzes...volvos (pre-ford)...bmws. three heavy cars. sure, they have great saftey measures in the car and have lots of research done to enhance saftey, but they all weigh a TON.

its just the physics of it. throw a 5oz clay ball at a 1oz clay ball at the same sped and what happens? they collide and the 1oz clay ball sticks to the bigger one (while getting crushed around the big ball in the process) and they move in the path of the 5oz ball (slightly adjusted). sure, a car wreck isn't that extreme (5:1) nor is steel as maleable as clay, but the basic laws of physics still happen, to a lesser degree.

im not saying you havn't seen bad wrecks involving SUVs. And some of it may relate to the design of the SUV where that manufacturer may have flaws in their design. But when big object 1 hits small object 2, in most cases big object 1 'wins'. (winning here, though, may be which body is less mutalated)

Lohman446
05-12-2005, 07:52 AM
i strongly believe in the size argument. i will grant you, though, that anything above 30-40mph headon and your likely gunna be f'd no matter what you're driving. but what cars are regarded as the safer cars? benzes...volvos (pre-ford)...bmws. three heavy cars. sure, they have great saftey measures in the car and have lots of research done to enhance saftey, but they all weigh a TON.

its just the physics of it. throw a 5oz clay ball at a 1oz clay ball at the same sped and what happens? they collide and the 1oz clay ball sticks to the bigger one (while getting crushed around the big ball in the process) and they move in the path of the 5oz ball (slightly adjusted). sure, a car wreck isn't that extreme (5:1) nor is steel as maleable as clay, but the basic laws of physics still happen, to a lesser degree.

im not saying you havn't seen bad wrecks involving SUVs. And some of it may relate to the design of the SUV where that manufacturer may have flaws in their design. But when big object 1 hits small object 2, in most cases big object 1 'wins'. (winning here, though, may be which body is less mutalated)

Volvos were not that heavy.... And only the bigger Benzes and Beemers had teh size argument going for them, the C class Benz and 3 class Beemers were not at all big, and still had very good safety ratings.

skife
05-12-2005, 10:34 AM
I agree with the inexperienced driver bit, If you have a habit of showing off and wanna speed around in a car which most teens do SUV's are way harder to control bigger so they take longer to stop and cant turn like they are on rails .....So, Only if you plan to drive all responsible like should you take on the SUV. Also, insurance is higher and gas is like twice as expensive.... So be prepared to get in pretty hard in the wallet. I have a car and an SUV..... As a daily driver cars are alot more economical.

my buddy has a '79 K5 blazer, we have lots of fun with it, tons of room inside and it'll go through pretty much anything, its easy to fix, parts are cheap. and it has a removable fiberglass rear top.... so sweet in the summer time. on the title it says its a "station wagon" and
last i knew "station wagons" are alot cheaper on insurance than smaller "sports cars" are.
it does decent on gas. $20 to get to ludington from cedar springs michigan, thats about 120 miles. and thats with the TH350 transmission with no overdrive... 3000 RPM's @ 70 mph.
so its a guzzler on the highway.

the only problem with the older blazer's is that they are made out of compacted rust well in michigan anyways, you'll never find one with good floors.

Pyro, why didn't you post pics of your camaro wreck, those were awsome pics.

Lohman446
05-12-2005, 10:42 AM
last i knew "station wagons" are alot cheaper on insurance than smaller "sports cars" are.

Not 4WD "station wagons" and that MI title designation means nothing when it comes to insurance that goes by model designation anyways.

bofh
05-12-2005, 12:01 PM

brit car represent!

/has a TVR
//wants a Norton.

Target Practice
05-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Remember kids, the best defense is an agressive offense. If you want to stay alive, drive it like you stole it!

/'03 Ranger
//Building a '63 Nova

FromTheBack
05-12-2005, 04:00 PM
Honestly, I read about half the posts so I am hoping no one posted something similar, if they did, I appologize, but I think this is some good input.
Well, for my first car my parents bought me a 2000 X-terra from a friend when I turned 17. I like the idea of an SUV for teenagers because:
1. You cannot accelerate as fast to race or do retarded corners (every teenager does it) and ultimately possibly wont be going as fast if/when you wreck into something.
2. You get a lot of space which is important for a teenager because I know I have lugged some big stuff around in it from drum set, to bike, to dorm furniture to 9 friends.
3. If you get into a situation where this is bad weather such as snow, or a need to go on a trail or poor road to get somewhere, the 4 wheel drive is a definate plus, I didnt think I would use it, but it is great to have and much safer.

The only thing is yes, some SUVs are huge, but those are not the right kind for a first car, definately something managable.. driving an expedition or suburban is just rediculous and you have no idea where it is at times while driving it hah. Also, I dont see much difference in the actual driving of a car and an SUV that you wouldn't see from any car to car, maybe just in diff forms. Yeah, so the gas mileage may not be that great, but for the following reasons they are nice to have and I reccomend to any teenager

Alley
05-12-2005, 05:55 PM
This is my beast! If you want an suv this should pretty much cover all the bases.

maxama10
05-12-2005, 07:23 PM
Got something against mini-vans huh? 1998 PURPLE Ford Windstar. Man that thing's bad :cuss: . With the window that doesn't work and the :cuss: moose on the antenna. Makes me fell very manly. You should get one.
Haha what ever works for you..... :p

maxama10
05-12-2005, 07:25 PM
At 17, you need a KIA Sportage or a Hyundai Tucson. We don't need 17 year olds driving Sherman tanks down the highways while they dick with their iPods and talk on their cell phones.
HAHA yeah you do....but i wont be cruising around for fun or anything nor will i be on the highway much just around town....and well i rarely use my phone but the ipod is gonna have a playlist and hooked up to the stereo so its all good :rolleyes: ;)

maxama10
05-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Honestly, I read about half the posts so I am hoping no one posted something similar, if they did, I appologize, but I think this is some good input.
Well, for my first car my parents bought me a 2000 X-terra from a friend when I turned 17. I like the idea of an SUV for teenagers because:
1. You cannot accelerate as fast to race or do retarded corners (every teenager does it) and ultimately possibly wont be going as fast if/when you wreck into something.
2. You get a lot of space which is important for a teenager because I know I have lugged some big stuff around in it from drum set, to bike, to dorm furniture to 9 friends.
3. If you get into a situation where this is bad weather such as snow, or a need to go on a trail or poor road to get somewhere, the 4 wheel drive is a definate plus, I didnt think I would use it, but it is great to have and much safer.

The only thing is yes, some SUVs are huge, but those are not the right kind for a first car, definately something managable.. driving an expedition or suburban is just rediculous and you have no idea where it is at times while driving it hah. Also, I dont see much difference in the actual driving of a car and an SUV that you wouldn't see from any car to car, maybe just in diff forms. Yeah, so the gas mileage may not be that great, but for the following reasons they are nice to have and I reccomend to any teenager

yeah thats kinda why i want one,
i also was looking at xterras but they dont seem as 'offroady' as 4runners (the old ones)

FromTheBack
05-12-2005, 07:43 PM
If you take the running bars off the sides they actually do pretty well off roading stock. I haven't personally taken mine, but my friend who offroads all the time was my source for that info. I know the lift kits for them are few and far between but if you are just looking for something casually offroad xterras aren't bad.

Lohman446
05-12-2005, 07:47 PM

You cannot safely corner as quickly... acceleration can be the same in a SUV as any "normal" car. Its a matter of torque and horsepower compared to weight

It has been repeatedly shown that one of the major causes of teenage accidents is distraction, You know what the number 1 distraction is - being tired... you know what the #2 is - friends in the vehicle with you.

The idea that 4WD is better on snow than FWD is highly questionable. It may be an issue when you are pushing snow, it is likely not on slippery or snow covered roads. Yes I have driven both in extreme weather. Trail use... fine, but using your primary vehicle on trails, the one you depend on without any backup, is of questionable logic

To me the extended wheel bases of the Excursion and the Suburban make them less "squirrely" on the road than the shorter wheel bases. As a general rule the short wheel based vehicles do not track as well as the big ones, they are also more prone to rolling (or worse end over end rolling) in an accident.

Alley
05-12-2005, 08:10 PM
.....Well, speaking from experience anything with 4WD is higher on insurance. and mine is a diesel so it will go 0 - 60 in about 3 mintues :) but, that being said it will still go 0 - 60 in 3 minutes with a few thousand pounds in tow ! And yeah finding an old blazer/jimmy with a floor is pretty rough but, I've got that covered to.....mine is getting a whole new floor put in then im having it rhino lined....she will one day be a sweet sweet ride. but, still wouldnt want to drive it every day :)

FromTheBack
05-12-2005, 08:49 PM
Ok, so my answers were not exactly correct in all senses, but I am not trying to put it out that way. Simply I am addressing it as how a teenager would use the car, their reaction to it, and how they will enjoy it.
With the acceleration thing, I drive my xterra all the time, but drive other people's cars too. When I get behind the wheel of a smaller regular car I feel as if its alot easier to accelerate and just more confident in its ability to take corners better, so therefore I do it. Thats how my teenage mind works, because it is fun. My car, and other SUVs I hardly feel to urge to go fast and I feel as if my car will tip over if I try to take a corner fast, I really have enough common sense to not take one at too high of a speed. Now, I am not saying every teenager is like me, or thinks like me, but I am using my way of thinking as a possible guideline for other teenage minds (not saying they will all have common sense about these things). Some of us really don't always know what a Car can do and how it stands up to a SUV in terms of horsepower and other things in comparision so our mind creates the thought that it will not perform as well because stereotypically and offroading vehicle does not perform as well in the back of most everyone's mind, therefore it should not be driven as hard. I honestly think its great that you address these issues and they are indeed important to young driver's safety though, merely trying to clarify the point I was trying to get across so others don't take it the wrong way.
As for the distraction yes, that is very important because green and experienced drivers alike can easily be caught of guard because they aren't paying attention. But in the long run more space will be better. When I started driving my parents just did not allow me to have anyone besides me and a person in the driver's side because it simply was the law and they were the ones who got me the car. Again this is me, but I am just trying to state my raw experiences for people to take it how they will.

Snow, well thats from my experiences, I slid less and felt more secure. Same as you, in some pretty extreme cases. Good point though, Situations are different.

Trail use... fine, but using your primary vehicle on trails, the one you depend on without any backup, is of questionable logic

All I was trying to get at there was that if you need to go somewhere, and it is down a questionable road...I would rather have 4WD then FWD or RWD. The decision to take the road is merely the driver's not the car's.

From driving an Expedition..yeah it is steady, but I know I still dont feel comfortable that I am always in my lane and I have been driving a lot over the past 3 years. Anyways thats not really what I was bringing up. Have you ever tried to parallel park one of those things on a mainstreet, or just fitting it into a lot of areas can be a pain. Haha, its just not the best thing to begin with, so hard to maneuver.

Anyways thanks for the info, didn't know about some of that stuff and is very important to new drivers as much and probably more in cases.

PyRo
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
my buddy has a '79 K5 blazer

Pyro, why didn't you post pics of your camaro wreck, those were awsome pics.
1. Full size blazers rock I was going to drag 2 of them home then my mother threatend to castrate me

2. Here ya go :)
http://img77.echo.cx/img77/6507/mywreckedcamaro9xk.jpg
http://img77.echo.cx/img77/7072/smallmycarcopy5xk.jpg

billybob_81067
05-13-2005, 01:40 AM
Best lookin Camaro I've ever seen! :)

Hmmm... there's an old Chebby 4x4 blazer up on our prairie. I've been thinking of asking the guy who owns it if he even wants it anymore... it's been just sitting there for probably the past 8 years or so.

The only thing wrong with it is that it's a chevy and I'm a blue blooded ford guy, but I'm also cheap, so if the price was right I suppose I could use the front and rear axles on some sort of ford powered rock buggy! :D

skife
05-13-2005, 09:58 AM
This is my beast! If you want an suv this should pretty much cover all the bases.

good choice in tires, what motor is in it?

and thanks pyro for the pics.

Dayspring
05-13-2005, 11:19 AM
You haven't looked hard enough then...

www.xterraownersclub.com

http://www.ecxc.com/events/pg_ecxc2k2_01.asp

www.maxc.org

http://www.xterraownersclub.com/pp/data/501/1Ocala_07_13_03_0057.jpg

yeah thats kinda why i want one,
i also was looking at xterras but they dont seem as 'offroady' as 4runners (the old ones)

Maksimus54
05-13-2005, 11:48 AM
The real problem maxama, is that you don't think you'll drive like a stupid teenager, but you will. everybody does. And when you decide to take that one corner a little faster than usual your suv is way more likely to roll than a car. As for acceleration, it doesn't matter as much as how fast you are actually going when you hit something else. It might take 3 minutes, but i've got my 88' camry to over 100mph and at high speeds it is damn hard to keep a vehicle under control if anything happens, especially a vehicle with a high center of gravity. I'm not trying to bash your pick in vehicles, cause i like suv's too, and if you really just want to go off roading theres not many other choices, but for the money you could get a really nice car that will get you better fuel economy and probably be a bit safer when you do try to do something stupid and end up trying to get the car to go straight again.

FromTheBack
05-13-2005, 01:25 PM
Wow, had no idea there were so many Xterra groups out there. haha If I didnt wanna put my cash into paintball I would definately get some stuff for mine.

Jakedubbleya
05-13-2005, 01:25 PM
MAXAMA, im on your side bro, you deserve something fun, all these old farts are just scared youll pass them when theyre drivin 40 on the freeway.

Lol, and the whole rolling argument, wow. It is sooo hard to roll any car, if you are dumb enough to not feel when a car is about to roll you are dumb enough to need a minivan.

Anyway, I drive a grand cherokee so i liek me some jeep, but if your dad is willing to haul out the pocketbook then ive got a few more "exciting" reccomendations.

First, I recommend getting a fun road car if you arent really going offroading very much. The ultimate fun-for-the-buck road car is the corvette Z06.

If you get a used one you can have better than viper performance for around 30k. Oh, and they get around 30mpg.

But if you want something for offroad and hauling your friends around in... My friend do i have a vehicle for you!
http://www.wbsfilm.at/Bilder/bild700/pinz1010036.jpg
This here is the Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer! Its a diesel ten gear, with a unique indipendent axle system. They get around 22mpg depending on the model, and those that know of them often rate them above the hummer. OFF ROAD BEASTAGE!

Its like a vw bus that will dominate off road... you can find them for sale if you google it.

Aaaaand, they are classics so you will likely be able to sell it for more than you paid for it in about 10 years.

They range anywhere from 20-30k right now. Also come in a 6x6 model (thats right, triple axle). All models also come in soft top(soft tops are cheaper). There is a company in britain making new ones with larger engines but i believe they charge out the bummy for them so just get one of the classics.

There are absolutely no vehicles with comparable durability to these things. Used to be the standard vehicle for the swiss army. You roll this thing, and i guarantee the only thing you will need to buy is a new set of rear view mirrors(if that).

Oh, and you can make a summer job of hauling cash since its an armored car.(jk)

PyRo
05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
The only thing wrong with it is that it's a chevy and I'm a blue blooded ford guy, but I'm also cheap, so if the price was right I suppose I could use the front and rear axles on some sort of ford powered rock buggy! :D
Mopar > Chevy > Ford
:)

Jakedubbleya
05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Mopar > Chevy > Ford

Mopar>Chevy>Dodge>Dolorian>Piece of garbage>New Ford

billybob_81067
05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
PyRo and Jakedubbleya... you both fail. :D

Jakedubbleya
05-13-2005, 02:06 PM
PyRo and Jakedubbleya... you both fail. :D

The redneck test?

:D

billybob_81067
05-13-2005, 02:09 PM
The redneck test?

:D

Exactly!!! You could have upgraded to redneck, but now you're doomed as a hick from here on out... :p

Jakedubbleya
05-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Exactly!!! You could have upgraded to redneck, but now you're doomed as a hick from here on out... :p
:cry:

Lohman446
05-13-2005, 02:19 PM
MAXAMA, im on your side bro, you deserve something fun, all these old farts are just scared youll pass them when theyre drivin 40 on the freeway.

You have the chance to have something fun, don't pass it up. But don't confuse a gift for something you DESERVE. Its a gift take is as such, be happy to have it, and continue, but do not think you deserved it. Its ok to be spoiled (I am still), just acknowledge it and don't try to cover it up for something it isn't.

Jakedubbleya
05-13-2005, 02:23 PM
You have the chance to have something fun, don't pass it up. But don't confuse a gift for something you DESERVE. Its a gift take is as such, be happy to have it, and continue, but do not think you deserved it. Its ok to be spoiled (I am still), just acknowledge it and don't try to cover it up for something it isn't.

EVERY good kid (your a good kid right bro?) deserves a fun car. It adds so much quality to life in the early years. Lohman is right tho, dont think you are entitled to it, because most kids will never have a fun car.

Too bad i was neither a good kid nor the recipent of a fun car... :cry:

I am posting sooo much in this thread... lol.

Lohman446
05-13-2005, 02:28 PM
SUVs have a lot of advantages, I drove an Explorer through college, I beat the crap out of it off road (I did four transmissions in four years too), I never had to have help moving back and forth from college, and I enjoyed the vehicle. It was one of only two vehicles I have ever owned that I have sold before they were totalled - the other was a convertible Corvette (kinda funny huh) But don't confuse a lot of advantages for zero disadvantages.

bofh
05-13-2005, 03:43 PM

Hey... sweet ride. :)

ascetic1
05-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Alrighty, I am not going to sit here arguing size or safety....I am going to use the logical way of thinking, and thus far I would say buying an SUV for your first "car" is a bad choice. Lets go over some of the reasons shall we:
1)Gas!!- Buying an Suv, especially with the way the current gas prices are means that you will be spending at least 40-50 dollars filling the gas tank, which will last you an average of three days depending on the lenght that you drive.
2)Insurance- Killer! A large vehicle, with a teen behind the wheel means that insurance will come down hard on you in the case of an accident or what have you.
3)Overall Maintenence- Gas, Tune Ups, Tires/Schocks(If offroading), Oil Replacement(If you do it yourself), and just the basic upkeep of your car will run you a preety penny.

Bottom Line: Buy a Toyota or Honda with reason being they are 1) Mass Produced(easily find parts available in case of an accident) 2) ALOT cheaper on gas( many are 4 cyl. as opposed to a v6 or v8) 3) Insurance- Small sedan, relatively safe while on the roads, standard stuff...

Alley
05-14-2005, 07:28 AM
My Jimmy has a Big ole Diesel engine in it......So, it'll still be running when the body rots out (again) We've spent alot of time fixing the body on it This summer it should be ready to paint ... Though it will have major mud bogging abilites Im afriad its going to be too pretty :) As soon as I learn to upload pictures on to my website (yeah, I have no idea how) I will post all the ones I Have of the progress its made from being able to see though the fenders and floor ...its still pretty far from being done but, my body man works for free so I cant complain to much!

MedicDVG
05-18-2005, 07:33 PM
I just came accross this article while scanning some professional literature at work...

It is an interesting discussion of the big car vs. little car in terms of crashworthiness.

http://www.bridger.us/2002/12/16/CrashTestingMINICooperVsFordF150

I found it fascinating...

PyRo
05-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Mopar>Chevy>Dodge>Dolorian>Piece of garbage>New Ford
Dodge=Mopar wtf are you talking about?

WickeDKlowN
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Mopar > Chevy > Ford
Are you dyslexic? :p

I think you meant:
Ford>Chevy>Mopar

Truck-wise atleast. Although, I would give a left teste for one of those Dodge Daytona trucks. It even comes in 4x4, but thats just too beautiful to take off-roading.

wad04
05-18-2005, 11:22 PM
think it's been said but let me tell you again. LAND ROVERS ARE EXPENSIVE TO FIX. and require lots of care. IMO.

maxama10
05-19-2005, 05:44 PM
yeah
im gonna stay away from them

Jakedubbleya
05-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Dodge=Mopar wtf are you talking about?

i was just, trying to be agreeable! :cry: :cry: :cry:

comparing mopars to dodges though is like comparing shelbys to mustangs.

well, not that extreme obviously but you get me.

as for ford being the top truck, its still an inferior truck in design and such. and the only ford trucks that hold up performance wise to chevys and dodges are the diesels.

Lohman446
05-19-2005, 08:19 PM
comparing mopars to dodges though is like comparing shelbys to mustangs.

Based on? Shelby actually existed as its own company... Mopar IS Chrysler

wad04
05-19-2005, 10:43 PM
nooooo you all sound like the hicks at my school. stop!