PDA

View Full Version : Polishing LVL10 bolt, newest one.

spsantos
05-11-2005, 07:53 PM
I've seen blackvcg's post on polishing the bolt to raise perfomance/efficiency. That thread ended up quite inconclusive for my liking, since I believe this is a must if we want to get the most from our gun.

I know that he stopped doing that kind of work, but something was left in the air about finding a way to polish the inside of the unscreweable bolt, my x-valve is pretty much new (about one month old), and i'm wondering if anyone else as found a way to do it on these bolts.

I've got the possibility of doing this at my factory, but if anyone as already done that, better.

I'm thinking about using diamond paste to polish this thing (used to polish steel moulds for plastic), i've even made a bushing that will fit on the interior of the bolt. I just need to attach the bolt to the CNC lathe, and use the bushing as a tool, i just don't know what kind of abrasive to use inside the bushing, it must be a pretty soft finish with very low rugosity(in the micron area), so i'm thinking either diamond paste or ceramic abrasives.

Any more ideas/hints before i try this are *REALLY* welcome :)

Oh! And if anyone can tell me what is the steel brand of the bolt, even better. I've not yet measured its hardness, but i suspect it is a pre-treated steel (about 35-45 HRc (Rockwell))

onedude36
05-12-2005, 10:48 PM
I want to know how to polish the bolt like he did as well. I think I have 2nd gen though. I'll need to check that.

Thatcher
05-15-2005, 05:02 AM
I would love to know the result of whatever happens. Post a step by step and take pics plz! Good details, good luck.