PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a newe toy

Psycho Chicken
05-11-2005, 11:53 PM
So i'm looking to buy a new gun, possibly a nerve or shocker, and was wondering what you guys thought bout them (minus any flaming). My question before you is which is better, relable, better bang for the buck, and if there are any major problems with them. Also, please if you have any other suggestions on another gun, give your 2 cents.

Kallahan
05-11-2005, 11:56 PM
I havent personally met someone who owns a shocker and has not had to do significant repair work. Also everyone I've met whos had a nerve didn't think it was anything special, kinda underwhelming.

peewee
05-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Shocker if you have one of those two..... Come on get a devilmag....

Evil1
05-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I have owned shockers and played a few games with a nerve and I found both to be quite underwhelming. I've had an alias for almost a year now and I really like it. I really haven't had any problems that weren't from me screwing around with it. The proto matrices are pretty cool too. If you really want one of those 2 guns you mentioned, I'd get the shocker. They are small, light, pretty fast, and easy to work on. There is also aftermarket boards out for them that I hear are pretty cool.

magman007
05-12-2005, 02:13 AM
i gotta reccomend the proto matrix iver the shocker, its a much better design of the spoolvalve. i know you had an older trix, and i believe you were happy with it.

shockers are nice, but not designed as well as they coulda been.

Enemy
05-12-2005, 02:25 AM
the shockers are nice but to be honest the only reason im not shooting a dm 4,5 or proto trix is because i didnt want to spend the extra money.... boy that was a mistake! you really should look into the dms they come with virtually everything you need stock save a evolve bolt kit! and the stock board even has anti fsdo in it the shockers dont have that and they suffer from it really bad!

tyrion2323
05-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Hey Psycho Chicken,

As you know, every marker has its up and downs. Here are my experiences with Shockers:

Positives:
Lightweight, Small, Mobile
Great looking
Very fast - easy to shoot

Negatives:
Broken parts (detents, internals)
Need lots of maintenance.

I think the Shocktech Shockers are absolutely gorgeous. FreeFlow shockers are also quite nice. I'm not impressed with Smart Parts' manufacturing or customer service, which are the reasons that I never bought a Shocker (well, I had a Shoebox!).

My recommendations (based on personal experience) are: Intimidators, Omens, Matrices, EMags. As for pricing, Shockers are very competitively priced with these markers. Omens are, obviously, the least expensive on the list, but you can find New timmies and used Emags for around $600 or so, if you know where to look =) Matrices are a bit more pricey, but are great markers.

No matter what you pick, good luck to you!

Psycho Chicken
05-12-2005, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all you inputs, I was maily looking to try somthing new that's why I was looking between them. I do own an orginal trix, have a mircoE, an xmag, and an excal. The nerve or shocker would be somthing different, but if the DMs are really that much better i might start to look at them. That and the fact my brother stumbled onto a deal with a new dm5 for bout 800.

Again please still keep giving advice, I haven't made up my mind yet.
Herb

hobbesTZ
05-12-2005, 11:48 PM
I'd recommend looking into Cyborgs and Tribals.

Snake
05-13-2005, 12:14 AM
If you want to try something nice how about an EGO.

tyrion2323
05-13-2005, 06:37 AM
If you decide you want something totally different from Emags and Matrices, I can offer you great pricing on AIM Timmies... (From now on, I´ll call ém DEVASTATORS!) :D Not trying to hawk my wares here...just sayin

Psycho Chicken
05-13-2005, 09:59 PM
Well i broke down and pick up an ion. Porbably keepit for a month or two then see it off. Haven't really played much with it yet, but when i do i'll give my full impression. So far shoots prety fast and is Extremely light ( which was what i was going for).

ICP
05-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Well i broke down and pick up an ion. Porbably keepit for a month or two then see it off. Haven't really played much with it yet, but when i do i'll give my full impression. So far shoots prety fast and is Extremely light ( which was what i was going for).

and you saved a bunch of money. :clap:

Emert426
05-13-2005, 10:41 PM
EWWW SP SUCKS! What a loser, who buys that crap! :p ;)

Haha jk dude. I've shot the shocker, but not the nerve, but I hear mixed reviews on both....

Cosmetically nerve, from what I hear the shocker may perform a bit better.

JimmyBeam
05-13-2005, 11:05 PM
EWWW SP SUCKS! What a loser, who buys that crap! :p ;)

dont make me pull my Ion out and shoot you in the butt

alooney11
05-13-2005, 11:58 PM
My bud has a shocker it performs great, and personally i think it looks nicer than a nerve.

Pyroboy597
05-14-2005, 12:03 AM
Just get an Ion, they are fast, durable (just as durable as any other gun and they are hard to scratch), light, and cool looking. If you feel the need to, for 150 someone can install a morlock on it to make it shoot as fast as a shocker, yet cost a ton less.

spantol
05-14-2005, 12:44 AM
That was my plan, too; now it's my primary marker. There isn't a better performance:price ratio out there.

guysdaman
05-14-2005, 12:10 PM
While i am waiting for my devilmag i went out and picked up an ion too and i have been very pleased with the performace so far....try out the qev mod...it is great for improving efficeincy...in fact i played with it today and ran a case and a half through it without one single break barrel or otherwise.

Psycho Chicken
05-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Speaking of that qev mod, 1 is it easy to install, 2 does it really improve the performance that much ( eff. and speed), 3 finally how excatly do you do it.

68magOwner
05-15-2005, 06:55 PM
if i was concidering a new gun (which i am actually toying with getting another marker now) i would concider the freestyle (still iffy about these) or some form of trix, just because i want something new, im really more of a ram/hammer marker person, and for that i would reccomend an ego or viking (shooting a viking now) but, if your looking for just another marker, FS or trix would be nice

meshaq
05-15-2005, 07:02 PM
Both of the Shockers at my field have had to be repaired at least once.

mag88888
05-15-2005, 07:38 PM
i have never shot a proto matrix, just a heads up but...from what ive studied and heard over my period of AO days the matrix just seems great. id look into it more if i were you :D

mags247
05-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Get a shocker, Not taking anything away from the EGO (Probably the fastest around), but your know that the shocker has that Mag look and feel to it. Gotta love the profile of the single tube design and with the nerveboard........forget about it.

fire1811
05-15-2005, 11:06 PM
currently im shooting an ION and love it. great gun.
but if you want to choose between a nerve or a shocker I would personally definatly go with the shocker.

I was never impressed with the nerve but loved my 04 shocker. it was a great gun. only reason i sold it was I wanted a change.

Codekevin0403
05-16-2005, 06:30 PM
the 05 shocker gives you the benefits of both. A ramping board and a light body. Plus it's cheaper than a nerve, so you can get a nice barrel or other upgrades. I know some people dislike ramping, but you can turn it off, so it doesn't matter. It's completely up to you, and it's nice to have choices. :clap:

warbeak2099
05-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Definately get a shocker. Nerves = crap. They are definately not worth over $1000. A shocker is nice at a somewhat reasonable price. Go for a vision shocker for $800. If the Isis was out tho, I'd say go for that. But that doesn't look like it will be coming out for a while. Powerlyte comes out with the uber gun and they delay the release for like a year and a half because of constant updates. If they just keep updating it it'll never come out!

ultralight
05-16-2005, 06:54 PM
pgp