PDA

View Full Version : Planning on stir-fry

RevBrown
05-12-2005, 06:00 AM
I am planning on cooking for the little lady this weekend. I am going to make a stir-fry. I plan on marinating the chicken in soy for about 24 hrs before I cook. Anyone got any ideas on something better to put it in, will this ruin the flavor?

Also I need a good brand of egg roll that I can pick up out of a box. Any sake brands are welcome to.

Maggot6
05-12-2005, 06:28 AM
Good luck is all I can say.. I can't cook for anything.

WingMan13
05-12-2005, 07:13 AM
Go to your nearest supermarket and find the little chinese stuff isle. Theres a few companies that make these packets that come in styles like Sweet and Sour and some other known favorites. Most of the ingrediants should be in the packet but make sure you check. The best part they sell for about a dollar and as long as you follow the directions, you will look like a Iron Chef. :D

Good luck!

lopxtc
05-12-2005, 08:14 AM
I can give you the receipe I use for a great dish that is more curry than stir-fry but its one that I think you might enjoy if you like a little spice.

If your not adverse to soy let me know and I can give you the receipe. It costs very little and if you can find the prepreped soy in your area it will take off a lot of prep time.

Are you planning on rice, rice noodles, or what?

If you are doing rice, do not use minute rice or any fast cooking rice ... get yourself a bag of long grain jasmine or basmati rice. The difference in flavor and texture will greatly reward the dish. Also do not be afraid of garnish.

Aaron

fire1811
05-12-2005, 11:24 AM
order carry out
and tell them not to mix it.
go get it and put it in your own pots/pans.

impress her with your cooking skills later :p

ShooterJM
05-12-2005, 11:25 AM
Hmmm get some non-fat yogurt, tumeric, coriander and ginger. mix it all up with a LITTLE bit of soy and marinate the chicken in the fridge for a day or so. take the chicken out, wipe off the yogurt, throw a little salt and pepper on it, and cook it up with some hosin sauce.... mmm mmm good.

Also, make sure to use seseme oil for cooking.... I'll dig out the actual recipe if you want it.

lopxtc
05-12-2005, 11:28 AM
Do not use yogurt that you get in most American stores for this ... goto any good Ethnic store, especially any that deal in Indian food supplies, and get your yogurt from there. The yogurt that is sold in just about every American store is almost useless for cooking due to the differences in cultures in the yogurt. Its usable in a pinch but the end result is very different in taste and texture.

Aaron

Hmmm get some non-fat yogurt, tumeric, coriander and ginger. mix it all up with a LITTLE bit of soy and marinate the chicken in the fridge for a day or so. take the chicken out, wipe off the yogurt, throw a little salt and pepper on it, and cook it up with some hosin sauce.... mmm mmm good.

Also, make sure to use seseme oil for cooking.... I'll dig out the actual recipe if you want it.

ShooterJM
05-12-2005, 03:13 PM
Do not use yogurt that you get in most American stores for this ... goto any good Ethnic store, especially any that deal in Indian food supplies, and get your yogurt from there. The yogurt that is sold in just about every American store is almost useless for cooking due to the differences in cultures in the yogurt. Its usable in a pinch but the end result is very different in taste and texture.

Aaron

hehehe it's good that you pointed that out! I sort of neglected to mention that..... :rofl:

SG Avenger
05-12-2005, 03:37 PM
Depending on how you all like it. a little bit of honey over the top of anything stir fry brings out a bit more flavor. Just drizzle some at the end of cooking, toss it around a bit more and rock out. It's not traditional, but then again I love anything sweet. just dont' combine this with the whole marinated yogurt thing.

RevBrown
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Lots of good info for me here.

Anyone know about egg rolls or sake?

nippinout
05-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Lots of good info for me here.

Anyone know about egg rolls or sake?

You can go to a mom&pop restaurant and ask for the egg rolls that are not fried yet, then do it at home.

nippinout
05-12-2005, 06:17 PM
With soy sauce, you can't go wrong with some vinegar, sesame oil, or garlic.

Chipper
05-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Stir fry, yum.

Chicken,
red peppers,
broccoli,
mushrooms,
carrots,
water,
teriyaki (spelling? same for broccoli)(generous amount),
rice,

ultimate meal, I LOVE IT. Makes for good left overs as well.

AGD202
05-12-2005, 07:41 PM
this thread is where all the gay guys come about and out of thier closets...

Alley
05-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I think its quite admirable most guys are willing to go to these lengths to impress their women, kudos to you all and keep it up!! a girl loves a guy who can cook...its such a lovely quality. :)

lopxtc
05-12-2005, 10:13 PM
Pal if you only knew the tail Ive gotten with my cooking ... you would be amazed how quickly a girl will give in if you can cook. If you cant cook then goto a cooking class together, not as good but it still pays off :)

Aaron

Nexus
05-12-2005, 11:20 PM
Garlic is your friend. Everything that is not a desert or a drink tastes better with garlic. I would say the same thing about hot peppers, but some people are sensitive to that . . .

Edit: I though of something useful about sake. First of all, learn how to pronounce it correctly it is not sock-ee. It is sak-eh. It is amazing how many people get that wrong. Second, I don't know much about brands. However, unless you get very high quality sake, serve it warm. Lower quality sake is nasty cold. If you do end up getting the good stuff, cold is generally considered the correct way. I think I am remembering all that right . . .

Vex
05-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Edit: I though of something useful about sake. However, unless you get very high quality sake, serve it warm. Lower quality sake is nasty cold. If you do end up getting the good stuff, cold is generally considered the correct way. I think I am remembering all that right . . .
Try the sake both cold and warm, see how you like it best. It depends on your taste for it.
There are several brands, it's just a matter of if you can find them at your local store or not.
I recommend, if you can find it, awamori. It is Okinawan sake--and damn, is it good! I've got a couple of bottles, but I brought them back with me from Okinawa, so I don't know if you can get it here.

Good luck!

RevBrown
05-13-2005, 05:03 AM
Pal if you only knew the tail Ive gotten with my cooking ... you would be amazed how quickly a girl will give in if you can cook. If you cant cook then goto a cooking class together, not as good but it still pays off :)

Aaron

TESTIFY BROTHA TESTIFY!!!!!

WingMan13
05-13-2005, 06:36 AM

Or where little guys can act tough hiding behind their computers :rolleyes:

LudavicoSoldier
05-13-2005, 08:15 AM
<3 E-Thugs

Seriously though, EVERYONE should learn how to cook. Your mom wont be making you breakfast/lunch/dinner forever, and the Ramen diet isnt exactly the best thing for you. There is nothing gay about being able to feed yourself. Its a sure-fire way to impress the ladies as well.

My little recipe for marinade:

2 large chicken breasts, fat trimmed and flattened
1 gallon ziplock bag
Lite soy sauce (not flavored)
1 clove garlic (crushed and minced)
teaspoon of fresh grated ginger
tablespoon of honey

Mix up about 1/4 cup of soy sauce with the spices/honey and pour over the chicken in the ziplock. Fold it up so the all the marinade is with the chicken. Chill for 24 hours. Pan fry with toasted sesame oil, or grill (I prefer grilling).

ShooterJM
05-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Pal if you only knew the tail Ive gotten with my cooking ... you would be amazed how quickly a girl will give in if you can cook. Aaron

Exactly. The key is to time it so you're in the middle of cooking when she gets there. Give her a glass of wine or some sake and some appetizers and sit her somewhere where she can watch you cook. Don't let her help (and don't screw up). You'll gain some serious points

LudavicoSoldier
05-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Exactly. The key is to time it so you're in the middle of cooking when she gets there. Give her a glass of wine or some sake and some appetizers and sit her somewhere where she can watch you cook. Don't let her help (and don't screw up). You'll gain some serious points

Exactly! Cooking for friends brings in the points as well. My deep fried turkey is a real crowd pleaser!

Jakedubbleya
05-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Do we not have a SINGLE cook?

I cant believe you guys forgot black bean garlic paste, its what makes oriental food, oriental...

Do whatever you want ingerdients wise, then use ginger, black bean garlic paste, and a little soy/butter sauce to drench it in.

The paste can be found in the oriental isle.

Dont you ever try to make stir-fry without it.

Oh, and dont forget the brandy for the meat.

Edit: sesame oil if you are using oil, always use butter, always use garlic

ShooterJM
05-13-2005, 04:49 PM
Do we not have a SINGLE cook?

I cant believe you guys forgot black bean garlic paste, its what makes oriental food, oriental...

Do whatever you want ingerdients wise, then use ginger, black bean garlic paste, and a little soy/butter sauce to drench it in.

The paste can be found in the oriental isle.

Dont you ever try to make stir-fry without it.

Oh, and dont forget the brandy for the meat.

:rofl: