PDA

View Full Version : myth or fact about the ion?

Gumbe
05-15-2005, 01:56 PM
ive been told that the ion only has a 2 way...is this right i also hard its "not put together well"...is there any problem with the ion that i should know about?

Pyroboy597
05-15-2005, 01:59 PM
I own, and have shot about 4 cases through my ion, and it shoots just as well as a shocker. It is quiet as hell, shoots fast, and is easy to adjust. The only trouble ive had, is when you initally screw on the tank it does not let air in to the regulator very well.. After about 10 shots you can screw the tank on about another two rotations and then it shoots incredibly well.. I would get a new barrel tho if your plannin on gettings an ion. There is almost no shootdown when you are capping out the board, and the microswitch is in a position that allows for very shot, and easy trigger pulls.

Gumbe
05-15-2005, 02:01 PM
but does it have a two way?

Flow_Tech
05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
no,its almost the same exact design as a shocker internally.

master_alexander
05-15-2005, 02:37 PM
find a schematic (blueprints)

yakitori
05-15-2005, 04:39 PM
Here is how the bolt works. Similar to blow forward. The Solenoid controls air flow to the front of the bolt.

And No its not hard to disassemble. I just did mine today. All you do is take out two frame screws and the screw in the barrel threading area, slide the body and solenoid/board assy up enough to undo the front banjo fitting, then slide the whole frame apart from the body. Remove the other two banjo fittings, slide the composite shell off, and unscrew the firing chamber from the breech. Clean , then relube and reassemble. There are some really good instructions w/ pics in the Ultimate sticky on PBN.

http://www.kamworld.net/paintball/images/ionani.gif

Spacemanvic
05-15-2005, 05:05 PM
Wow!

This sounds like an infomercial. So where is the Ion users group web page?

vonort
05-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Your on it. ^^^^

JimmyBeam
05-15-2005, 05:36 PM
http://www.ion-owners.com

funeralplanner
05-15-2005, 05:50 PM
Wow!

My thoughts too. I'm surt someone at SP can start a forum.

etjoyride
05-15-2005, 05:51 PM
alright finally there is an ION owners forum so that we can try to stick to mags a bit more :clap: no offense to ions though, i think there pretty nice.

Gumbe
05-15-2005, 08:36 PM
well am thinking of selling my mag for an ion but i hard that it has a two way insted of a three way now ive also been told that the two way cant shot passed 17bps that why they made em cap at that.....i just want to know if this is true or not

yakitori
05-15-2005, 09:07 PM
for a website that has treated me so well for a long time since Ive been a mag owner, now is treating me like dirt cause I own I an ion. You guys can eat dirt for being like that. I still like mags, I still know enough about them, and I will still come to this site regardless of what you SP haters say.

Im disappointed in the AO community for bashing others cause they arent shooting mags anymore. Mags are nice, but they are nothing to drool and sell off your guns for.

I will be shooting my Ion and Viking at the AO meet and greet, so nobody better be a jerk about it.

kurama
05-15-2005, 09:15 PM
They function almost exactly like the freestyle, which to a small extent resembles a matrix or shocker. They're well made, considering they're the first marker that SP tested before putting it on the market. I'm guessing it because there wasn't any pre-release hype/pressure on getting it out on time. They're pretty good, and a QEV makes them better. YDNA has also prooven that it can cycle about 22bps stock, and 28 with a QEV. I have no idea why they capped it at 17, other than thats the BPS cap at NXL/PSP where they are marketing it towards. Its all anti-ion hype that they can only cycle 17...

Beemer
05-15-2005, 09:17 PM
Dont be silly. Shoot what ever ya want.

Be SAFE, Play Fair and HAVE FUN, no Matter what ya use if you do those three its all good

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/SigPic.jpg

nicad
05-16-2005, 12:52 AM
I didn't see if this was answered yet- but it has 3-way valve in it, just like a freestyle.
hardly anything uses a 2-way, and there is no such thing a 1-way "valve". :)

cockers (mech and E), timmies, angels, 2k3 shockers, matrix, DM1,2,3,4,5,6, imps, etc all use 4-ways (which is usually a 5-way valve, but are used in a 4-way configuration).
Then there is the old shoe-box shockers, which run a 3-way for fire and 4-way for bolt cycle... so is that 7-way or a 12-way gun?? ;)

out!

Skoad
05-16-2005, 01:05 AM
I have yet to seen one opened up but in your asking "is this right i also hard its not put together well" I would have to say yes. If you have seen any kind of smart parts gun they do their boards and connections all retardedly, like solder stuff that should be able to disconnect or cram spaces full of junk that you can "never get back in right".

You'll have to get a response from an actual Ion owner to get proven info though.

Twiek
05-16-2005, 07:04 AM
I have no idea why they capped it at 17.

To keep from eating into Shocker sales.

You think all the PBN kiddies would still buy Shockers if the Ion shot 28bps?

Twiek
05-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Then there is the old shoe-box shockers, which run a 3-way for fire and 4-way for bolt cycle... so is that 7-way or a 12-way gun?? ;)

I guess that makes the Excalibur a 16 way gun :p

magmonkey
05-16-2005, 07:36 AM
yuo can do a qev mod to a ion and pick up qiute a bit of speed out of it

yakitori
05-16-2005, 07:41 AM
I have yet to seen one opened up but in your asking "is this right i also hard its not put together well" I would have to say yes. If you have seen any kind of smart parts gun they do their boards and connections all retardedly, like solder stuff that should be able to disconnect or cram spaces full of junk that you can "never get back in right".

You'll have to get a response from an actual Ion owner to get proven info though.

I am an actual Ion owner and I did answer that question. Its not hard to disassemble. 2 frame screws, a body screw around the barrel threads. Lift body from trigger frame enough to remove the front banjo fitting, then lift the whole body and frame and solenoid etc from the trigger frame. Unscrew two more banjo fittings, unplug the eyes, slide the body off, unscrew the firing chamber from breach....remove the bolt. Reassemble in the reverse order.

It takes about 5 minutes or less to disassemble and about 5 to reassemble.

Lohman446
05-16-2005, 08:08 AM
My question to those that say the Ion is hard to dissassemble. If this defines hard what marker is not a pain to dissassemble? Why is it different than the Ion in the dissassembly process?

yakitori
05-16-2005, 08:20 AM
My question to those that say the Ion is hard to dissassemble. If this defines hard what marker is not a pain to dissassemble? Why is it different than the Ion in the dissassembly process?

now thats a good question. ;)

I always hear ppl saying its hard to take apart, but nobody ever says how. I think its quite simple. I slapped a QEV in mine w/in a week of owning it, no probs, no leaks. Ive taken it apart and lubed it and reassembled, no leaks, no probs. I fail to see the difficulty in it. Most ppl are just scared to take apart their markers.

Spacemanvic
05-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Yak:

Dude, shoot what you want. Im just saying this is an Automag site. After all the ION spam, you kinda get sick of seeing it.....

Seriously, not an SP hater (well, not that I like them), just why do people have to put ION junk on the AO site? Now that ION has it's site, hopefully this will slow down some....

yakitori
05-16-2005, 12:41 PM
ppl put lotsa junk on this site and have for a long time. Ive seen all kinds of questions about plenty of other guns. Ive seen pics of phantoms, dm4s, timmies, shockers, etc. I thought this was a Paintball community. Whats wrong w/ sharing other guns here? Is it against the rules. Why are all the AGD purist getting ticked. If only AGD guns and info where posted here, traffic would slow and there would be nothing to talk about. Since AGD has no new ideas/creations in the works, what will there be to discuss.

stop flamming. Its not my thread anyway. I just answered a question. And FYI I do visit other sites about many other guns. Stop trying to control the internet.

JimmyBeam
05-16-2005, 12:45 PM
yea man. we didnt choose to stop evolving the mag. the decision was out of our hands. some of us have moved on for the time being. this is still the most mature and informed site ive been to yet. just becasue i dont shoot a mag anymore, does this mean i cant post here?

Spacemanvic
05-16-2005, 12:53 PM
I've got 73 posts, I aint controllin squat.

POst whatever you want. Im going to the ION forum.

overkill8000
05-16-2005, 01:26 PM
thats real tight

FallNAngel
05-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Similar to blow forward.

...it *IS* a blow forward...

Gumbe
05-16-2005, 03:04 PM
alright thanks for the info i might sell my mag so i am still wondering about other marker that is why i asked about the ion here. i still own a mag ...for now..thanks for your help

JimmyBeam
05-16-2005, 03:19 PM
if they had evolved the mag with a high effenciency valve, i would have kept my mag. but i shoot alot of paint in a day, and sometimes im playing renegade which means a scuba is the only place i have for air. and mags dont to to well when you leave all day air.

Spacemanvic
05-16-2005, 03:28 PM
What size scuba tank are you using for refills? What size bottle do you have on your gun?

if they had evolved the mag with a high effenciency valve, i would have kept my mag. but i shoot alot of paint in a day, and sometimes im playing renegade which means a scuba is the only place i have for air. and mags dont to to well when you leave all day air.

Gumbe
05-16-2005, 04:41 PM
well one more question....i know this has been anserd in other thread but scense this one is still open i may as well post it here.......how does this three way preform i mean wat that major diffrent in it...also how is it on air(the ion)....

RobAGD
05-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Gumbie - SP Claimes 1000-1400 on a 68 4500 tank.

As to the gun being hard to take apart, its not overly hard but when you have guns that one screw gets all the guts ( or parts you need to greese ) out of a gun ( Shocker, DMX, Mag, Timmy ) the Ion comes in as needing a bit more time to rip apart. Plus the fact that dealing with the ammount of space you have to get a allen key working, its can be a bit of a PITA.

As to the build quality - Its not a bad gun for $300. That being said you are going to put about another $200 to $300 ish into the gun, Inline Reg, QEV's, Barrel, Clamp Feed Neck and a Decent ASA and a good loader.

As to the ROF - How are people getting the gun above the 17 BPS cap ? Are they hacking in other boards ? The stock SP board is capped at 17 because beyond that they had issues with having to really tweak out the dwell and the general gun set up. They had them in testing to 20 and has some consistancy issues so they capped it. Besides why sell a cheap uncapped gun when you have 3 higher end guns your trying to sell.

After building & working on way too many of these things there are a few things I wish they would change. No more Powder coating, Allow the Trigger Set Grub to be removable from the bottom of the frame, Have the rear doughnut align on something so that your not trying to force a screw into a hole thats a tad offset, Differnt ASA.

-Robert

yakitori
05-16-2005, 08:44 PM
all guns come w/ a crappy ASA. Many guns dont even have them. ehehm..mag..ehehm.

It takes three screws and three banjos to take apart. All of them have the same allen wrench, so its not that difficult.

I agree w/ the grub screw point.

2-300 bucks for ups? wth. CP reg (not really needed, the stock is decent) 60bucks, barrel 40 bucks, QEV 15 bucks, feedneck is not needed, trigger is higher priority than feedneck 35 for a CP trigger.

so 150 tops for items upping the Ion. A feedneck even puts you at around 190 tops. I dont see any reason to spend 300 on ups for it.

A loader is needed for ANY gun.

Go ahead and add a tube of Dow 33 or shocker lube too 10-15 bucks. But it will last you a long time.

So, how many other guns shoot that well for that price. 285 + 150 (maybe) in ups.

I would only put a trigger, and a barrel on it. The stock reg is not as bad as ppl are making it out to be.

Gumbe
05-16-2005, 09:10 PM
ok right now i have a revvy so hopper i am good for...if i do get this ion i have a cheap freak kit that i am getting for 80. asa well it isnt a big deal for me...trigger it can wait...but i really dont know wat to do..i like my mag alot but to get an ule for it is close to 300 smacker(canadian) then i dont like the tirgger on my hyper frame...so i think i might play with it sunday make my final desition and if i am selling it i will post it in the classifieds. another issue that i find my self with is that i dont trust money order or shipping...but i do trust shipping insurence..i never shiped or have money come into me online i have gotten stuff from online. how would i get the money? is this safe? what should i do for shipping..i am not one to "rip" someone off..sorry for getting off topic but hey if you guys are willing to help i would sure like it

thanks

Paintchucker
05-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Wow!

My thoughts too. I'm surt someone at SP can start a forum.

for a website that has treated me so well for a long time since Ive been a mag owner, now is treating me like dirt cause I own I an ion. You guys can eat dirt for being like that. I still like mags, I still know enough about them, and I will still come to this site regardless of what you SP haters say.

Im disappointed in the AO community for bashing others cause they arent shooting mags anymore. Mags are nice, but they are nothing to drool and sell off your guns for.

I will be shooting my Ion and Viking at the AO meet and greet, so nobody better be a jerk about it.

Yak: They are just NOOB's... Only been members a few months or less. Maybe they will "mature" after they have been here awhile... Or one can always hope...

I have been shooting a mag since late 1994. For years and years, we have endured cocker this and angel that. To the point that there is now an angel forum on this MAG site. ION is new, it is very popular, perhaps the ANGEL FORUM SECTION should be renamed the OTHER GUN SECTION and an ION thing added there. Until then, this is the place to put your ION thoughts in the AO forums.

There are just some people with narrow points of view. I prefer to post here because I have many people whom I have been sharing posts/thoughts with for several years. There are many technically skilled people here that have several types of guns and "hack on" all of them. I respect their opinion on things. Better to ask questions of the people I know and respect than to do it with strangers.

Too much flaming and hating goes on. If you don't have anything nice or constructive to add, just say nothing at all. Save us all a bunch of bandwidth and valuable server resources !!!

I love my mags, the orig. 1994 minimag(SP special build btw) and the two emags. I like my ION too. I am neither a PBgun Racist nor a Bigot. I wish people could be a little wider in their vision and understanding, but alas, it is hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys...

yakitori
05-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Yak: They are just NOOB's... Only been members a few months or less. Maybe they will "mature" after they have been here awhile... Or one can always hope...

I have been shooting a mag since late 1994. For years and years, we have endured cocker this and angel that. To the point that there is now an angel forum on this MAG site. ION is new, it is very popular, perhaps the ANGEL FORUM SECTION should be renamed the OTHER GUN SECTION and an ION thing added there. Until then, this is the place to put your ION thoughts in the AO forums.

There are just some people with narrow points of view. I prefer to post here because I have many people whom I have been sharing posts/thoughts with for several years. There are many technically skilled people here that have several types of guns and "hack on" all of them. I respect their opinion on things. Better to ask questions of the people I know and respect than to do it with strangers.

Too much flaming and hating goes on. If you don't have anything nice or constructive to add, just say nothing at all. Save us all a bunch of bandwidth and valuable server resources !!!

I love my mags, the orig. 1994 minimag(SP special build btw) and the two emags. I like my ION too. I am neither a PBgun Racist nor a Bigot. I wish people could be a little wider in their vision and understanding, but alas, it is hard to fly with the eagles when you are surrounded by turkeys...

a agree wholeheartedly

Spacemanvic
05-17-2005, 12:23 PM
WOW, narrow minds.

So, because someone doesnt share the same mindset, then they are noobs or narrow minded? Sounds alot like the liberals, or at least people from the left coast.

The reason I post here more than PBN is because I find the maturity level here at AO much higher than there (I'll be 35 in a month btw).

In this country, we have freedom of speech (which can be extended to expression of opinion). My opinion is just that, my opinion, as is your opinion yours. In MY opinion, I feel that ION users should post at an ION board and leave the Automag site to Automag owners. But thats MY opinion.

We also still have free choice in this country. So, you have the freedom to post about the ION, and I have the freedom to either read/ignore your post, or respond to it.

Not once in my posts on this thread did I call ANYONE noob, narrow minded, PBgun Racist, Bigot or turkeys...I've got more respect for my fellow AO members. I wish we all did.

As I've stated before, shoot what you want, post what you want.

And try to show a little respect. It's one of the things that makes AO different from PBN.

Peace

JimmyBeam
05-17-2005, 12:27 PM
So, because someone doesnt share the same mindset, then they are noobs or narrow minded?

so where have you been the past 5 years on the internet? of course, if someone has a diferent opinion than yours, well your then a nOOb. dont know why, thats just been the thing i guess

Spacemanvic
05-17-2005, 12:29 PM
WHERE HAVE I BEEN!?!?

I INVENTED THE INTERNET!

Ohh, Im sorry, I just had an Al Gore moment.

JimmyBeam
05-17-2005, 12:29 PM
OMG YOU NOOB.

heh jk

Paintchucker
05-17-2005, 01:07 PM
WOW, narrow minds.
In MY opinion, I feel that ION users should post at an ION board and leave the Automag site to Automag owners. But thats MY opinion.

So what about people that own 3 mags, have owned about a dozen over more than a decade timespan, and just happened to pickup an ION to play with... Where does that fit into your overall scheme of things since you have such a great grasp of things in your 5 months experience posting here... Maybe I am the noob, and don't understand... I have only been posting here for 4 YEARS longer than you... And yeah, I got nasty... I been here a long time, and I take personal offense at being told to "take it elsewhere" :shooting:

BTW, I do the majority of my posting at www.IONowners.com... You can find my little ION hacking in the GUIDES section there. But to be honest, there are probably more ION/MAG owners posting here than on that site. And I thought less narrow minded people might find a little value in what we share here. The ION cost less than my emag lowers upgrade, and less than my original Hyperframe. Cheap entertainment...

The thing is a tube, like the mag is a tube... there will be an ION body as ~ site rail for the MAG by summer...

http://www.ionowners.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=67

Spacemanvic
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
<So what about people that own 3 mags, have owned about a dozen over more than a decade timespan, and just happened to pickup an ION to play with... Where does that fit into your overall scheme of things since you have such a great grasp of things in your 5 months experience posting here... Maybe I am the noob, and don't understand... I have only been posting here for 4 YEARS longer than you... And yeah, I got nasty... I been here a long time, and I take personal offense at being told to "take it elsewhere">

Well, means your single, or have no kids, or kids grew up and you have $$ to spend, or you got $$ burning a hole in your pocket ;)

I've got the ONE mag since 1994. Does what I need it to do. WIth Emag lowers (thanks for your post on PBN btw), it does what I need it to do faster.

Again, bravo at getting another gun. I had an A5 but got rid of it for the Emag lowers. Choice is the spice of life. Good luck with the ION.

Wow, 4 years. This is the second time I think I've set up an account in 4 years on AO, i keep forgetting the #@$@#$ passwords.

4 years, 4 months, I think we can respect each other without the name calling?