PDA

View Full Version : Tourny Legal Mags and Such

ThePixelGuru
05-16-2005, 12:23 AM
Up to this point I've been mostly a woodsballer, but I'm selling my Tippmann and probably getting a Mag (or a Cocker), since I'm looking for something that I can upgrade when I need to. One of my friends mentioned how a Mag would be his top choice, if only he could be sure it'd be legal at all the tournaments that he went to. I was basically just wondering what sort of things I need to look out for in making sure I don't end up with a marker I'm not allowed to compete with. There's only two things I can really think of, trigger bounce and BPS cap. How little bounce can I get on the trigger, and how would I go about doing that? And for the BPS cap, there's no way to do that except an electronic grip, right? Anything else I missed? Thanks.

DrHoola
05-16-2005, 12:19 PM
if a mag has bounce you have to "know the gun" to find the bounce, most refs don't find the bounce in the bounce tests because mag bounce is much harder to find( :rofl: hahaha) and if you have a probelem with bounce just take shims off the on/off carrier to eliminate it. I, personally like having some bounce and very few people find find it but me. Just buy a ult trigger pull kit and you will never need to worry about bounce(but, you can always add shims to the on/off for a little bounce.BUY THE MAG! :cheers: Good Luck

frop
05-16-2005, 04:23 PM
if a mag has bounce you have to "know the gun" to find the bounce, most refs don't find the bounce in the bounce tests because mag bounce is much harder to find( :rofl: hahaha) and if you have a probelem with bounce just take shims off the on/off carrier to eliminate it. I, personally like having some bounce and very few people find find it but me. Just buy a ult trigger pull kit and you will never need to worry about bounce(but, you can always add shims to the on/off for a little bounce.BUY THE MAG! :cheers: Good Luck
Uh, my ULT Xvalve bounces pretty good & it aint too hard to find...factory shims in there too. Plus, classic mags can't bounce, so those wont be contested. RTs might be, but if you set it up properly, you should have no problems.

I believe mechanical guns aren't ROF-limited by most sanctioning bodies.

ThePixelGuru
05-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Frop, is there a way to eliminate bounce on your marker? If all goes well I'll end up with a Mag with a ULT and X-Valve, so it'd be set up pretty similarly to yours. Just wanted to make sure that I can eliminate the bounce if the need arises.

frop
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
There's two ways, lower your input pressure using an adjustable tank, or change the shims. It's not a problem for me, I like it the way it is.

Aleis
05-18-2005, 10:44 PM
If you've never owned a mag or know much about them some of the things said so far are probly a little confusing,

1) depending on the type of mag you get bounce might not be a problem at all, if the valve is a classic, mininmag, 68automag, micromag vlave then no problem they don't RT at all. If it's a RT, RT pro, Retro, X-valve, E-mag then you have to start worring about bounce

2) even if you have one of the BOuncing valves all's not lost they can be modified ina way so they don't bounce it's all in the length of the on/off pin, for example i have 2 X-valved guns one is recball fun bounce and the other only gives a nice return nudge completly bounce free, this is determined byt he length of the on/off pin (don't graba ruler though since the differences are in the thousanths of an inch) there are some good threads here i forget which that tell you exactly what sizes do what and where you can get some presized on/off pins

3) the Shim thing they are talking about is an upgrade for the on/off assembly for the valve that lightens the trigger pull, and also allowys you to affect the bounce with shims that effectively change the length of the on/off pin. This upgrade isn't compatible with all valves though so lookinto it before you buy.

4) if you end up getting a E-mag or X-mag there are ways to lock them into electronic mode only thus eliminating the manual RT part that makes them illegal.

ThePixelGuru
05-20-2005, 04:54 AM
Thanks. I'm going to go with the Mag (friend's Minimag, to be exact), and I'd like to get an X-Valve when I get the money. Probably not going to go with an e trigger if I can, I want to see if I can get something similar to the hAir Trigger, that looked sweet.

So pretty much any Mag can pass any ruling on bounce if it needs to - what about the BPS cap? Probably don't have to worry about that one for a while, right? (At least until I get much better and play in higher lever tournys...) Or does pretty much anywhere not care about BPS on an all-mechanical marker?

Thanks again for the help.

frop
05-21-2005, 10:34 PM
I dont play tourneys, but from what i hear, mech markers are uncapped. PTP is making a rendition of the hair trigger called the pneu-mag, you can find the thread about it somewhere around here. Don't know what will happen when that comes out though. ;)

No worries about legality, if it is illegal, you can tune it so it isn't.

trains are bad
05-22-2005, 12:11 AM
Get an adjustable tank and you should'nt have any problem getting into tournaments.

wolfspawn
05-28-2005, 06:47 PM
get a logic ripper with that setup they really wail and they are very cheap right now about 115 with grips and you set it right you will need the Xvalve to keep up to it...

ThePixelGuru
05-28-2005, 09:28 PM
Anything special about the Ripper V-M, or is it just a vert frame? 'Cause if that's the case I'd probably just go with a Y-Grip.

frop
05-29-2005, 05:39 AM
The Logic Ripper & RPG Chimera are special vecause they ARE vert frames.

Vert vs. y-grip vs. intelli should come down to comfort & personal preference, not "special features" that are primarily nonexistent.