PDA

View Full Version : Tech Class Attendees

Shaft
11-26-2001, 11:23 AM
How many of you remember what was taught? I was thinking that we should somehow compile our notes and create a FAQ or something.
Stuff like:
Why 8 hole mods are no longer needed. (The holes line up now)

Why not to mess with a sear. (It's case hardened and every dimension is quite purposeful)

Why adjusting the trigger rod is useless. (It's linkage, nothing more. Some slack is necessary to insure complete recharge)

How much is safe to remove from an on/off pin. (.005" no more)

What rattles in the Flatline. (Safety valve)

That TK does own more than one shirt. (Even has a TK jersey!)

Why the Retro/RT valve is better. (Charges the chamber with tank pressure)

How to adjust the trigger on an Emag.

How a paintball flies. (Like a blind drunken mad man)

Etc.

I can start posting the notes I have. I'm sure some of you have better notes than I and can post yours. You guys think this is good? Or do you want to horde the data and let the rest of the masses toil at failed trigger jobs and complain of barrel vibration (Doesn't effect ball flight).

cphilip
11-26-2001, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Shaft
...That TK does own more than one shirt. (Even has a TK jersey!)

So it's now established he owns: one blue denim shirt, one black AGD Sweatshirt, one colorful sweater (sometimes worn with the blue denim shirt). And now a Jersey too? Why he is almost GQ now! Bet he owns more Jerseys than everyday clothes...:D

Muzikman
11-26-2001, 02:31 PM
Hmm..I'll have to see where I put my notes. Hope I didn't leave them there or in my rental car:)

The one thing I am still not 100% clear on is the Emag solenoid. I am going to wait until I get my Emag, it might makes things a little clearer to me. I also wanna know how many I missed on the exams. I want to know how stupid...er, smart I really am:)

Shaft
11-26-2001, 04:08 PM
What is it on the solenoid you are unsure of?

The questions that kept bitting me backside were the power tube spacer related ones. I didn't memorize that "sticks go stronger, leaks go weaker" phrase.

Muzikman
11-26-2001, 06:17 PM
I don't remeber that phrase...but owning a Mag for ~8 years, I have PT spacers down pat. It's the farther out the solenoid the harder pull (Or is it the other way around?:)) I am also not sure I understand the internal workings of the solenoid, not that he went over it, but I like to know how things work on the inside:)

Vegeta
11-26-2001, 06:52 PM
Tom is a waredorbe-fanatic! Really! He should model for Calvin Klein! Great Idea! ..be on one of those big billboards in a BRAND NEW AGD SPORTS JACKET FROM CK! *GASP*

oh my.. this is gettting better every time I think about it.

Shaft
11-26-2001, 07:13 PM
The solenoid is relatively simple. It's basically an electromagnet with a metal rod in the middle of it.

The shorter the throw the stronger the pull.

Inside the cylinder (the body of the solenoid), is where the magnetic 'pull' occurs. When there is more of the plunger inside the cylinder, there is more iron material for the magnet to pull on.

When the plunger is all of the way out of the cylinder (extremely long throw) the cylinder, essentially, has no pull at all.

I had a crazy metaphor of a tug-a-war but felt that I should spare everyone on that one. I guess the secret is to consider the extreme positions on the plunger and how much pull a magnet can have on it.

Vegeta
11-26-2001, 08:24 PM
Think of it as this:

That thing that shoots your golf ball out of your putt returner :). i attemted to make my M98 a remote-activated turret outa a putt returner solenoid.. but then realized it needed 115v AC.. and didnt wanna have to fina a converter that big :(.. it seemed a good idea at teh time.