PDA

View Full Version : Intelliframe/Field Strip Screw Question

Potatoboy
11-26-2001, 12:35 PM
I originally posted this (slightly modified) to the "Bring Back the Z-Grip frame" thread. I thought I might get a better response here though.

I do find the Intelliframe to feel superior than the stock frames on Automags and the RTPros. I do however have one complaint about the Intelliframe. On my stock RTPro frame there was a small recessed area for the field strip screw, however there is not on the Intelliframe. This causes the field strip screw to dig into my hand and makes long periods of play rather uncomfortable. Does anyone know if this was done for a specific reason? Perhaps tolerances were involved. If it was not done for any major issue, does AGD have any plans on changing the design of the frame?

So my major question is, Is this a design overlook, or is the recess not milled in to to a technical limitation? I would prefer if I got more input rather than the standard "Wear a pair of gloves and it won't be as bad!" I know that sometimes these things are overlooked in the design phase as my friend recently purchased a Black Magic 'Cocker and the area where the beavertail meets the back of the grip frame has quite sharp 90 degree angles where most frames are rounded to not irritate the skin as much

ProjectMag
11-26-2001, 01:17 PM
If I recall right, the field strip screw wasn't recessed into the Intelliframe since most people's hands don't come into contact with it on a .45 frame. Correct me if I'm wrong.:D

Potatoboy
11-26-2001, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure about anyone else, but mine do, and it's quite uncomfortable with that field strip screw right there.

Potatoboy
11-27-2001, 12:07 AM
Does anyone have any info on this?

X-Plosive
11-27-2001, 12:13 AM
I definetly know Tom saw it because he picked up on the blade trigger and this was right there with it. I have never come into contact with it and if you are really bothered by it get gloves.

Thordic
11-27-2001, 10:04 AM
i said the same thing, dude. it annoys my hands too, and I hate wearin gloves.

Potatoboy
11-27-2001, 10:13 AM
It's good to see someone else has the same problem. After the 24 hour scenario I played last month I had a real nice bruise there from the constant pressure and rubbing.

wyn1370
11-27-2001, 10:21 AM
I know I've got the same problem with my dye frame. I wear gloves, but not when I'm tinkering and that's when I notice it. I think it has to do with how you grip your frame, if you grip it loosely it's easily noticed.

RobAGD
11-27-2001, 12:09 PM
It's very hard to machine that recess for the FS Screw.

In teh molded frames it was just part of the mold. On teh Intelli frames it would be a couple of extra machine steps 1 of witch as I under stand it would be a reset up.

-Robert

Thordic
11-27-2001, 12:13 PM
how difficult would it be to do it yourself?

and also, how much more room in the valve is there for the screw?

Potatoboy
11-27-2001, 12:16 PM
I see, so it was exactly a technical limitation, just a practical manufacturing limitation. But still I wonder if there's any reasonable way to have it done.