PDA

View Full Version : Need some R. Frost Help REWARD! 1 Free AO Pen!

Glickman
05-17-2005, 09:49 PM
Well, im having a little trouble picking out literary devices other then symbolism and theme in "In winter in the woods alone." If anyone has any ideas im more then grateful for them :D

In winter in the woods alone
Against the trees I go.
I mark a maple for my own
And lay the maple low.

At four o-clock I shoulder ax,
And in the afterglow
I link a line of shadowy tracks
Across the tinted snow.

I see for Nature no defeat
In one tree’s overthrow
Or for myself in my retreat
For yet another blow.

and a free pen to be given when we put together the custom AO pens order :D (the cool pen)

xmetal2001
05-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I mark a maple for my own -- there is some alliteration there.

In one tree’s overthrow -- some personification of the tree

How much do you need?

Glickman
05-17-2005, 10:10 PM
I mark a maple for my own -- there is some alliteration there.

In one tree’s overthrow -- some personification of the tree

How much do you need?

cool, as much as u can think of, i already analyzed my other poem, so ive just gotta find recurring devices.

spantol
05-17-2005, 10:11 PM
You could appeal to antithesis, figurative language, personification, hyperbole, metonymy, prolepsis, and climax in there, too.

http://www.spellingpolice.com/higher/higher.html
http://www.dean.tec.ma.us/MCAS/mcasst.htm

Glickman
05-17-2005, 10:22 PM
You could appeal to antithesis, figurative language, personification, hyperbole, metonymy, prolepsis, and climax in there, too.

http://www.spellingpolice.com/higher/higher.html
http://www.dean.tec.ma.us/MCAS/mcasst.htm

heh i know what they are, im just having trouble identifing them

SpecialBlend2786
05-17-2005, 10:47 PM
"I see for Nature no defeat"

Nature is capitalized, almost like a name. He can't see "Nature" being defeated. That'd be personification i think

Also, look at the rhythm and rhyme scheme, how the poem flows.

You can also look at the tone of the poem. It is basically a man, justifying his actions when he chops down a maple tree.

I'm not seeing any hyperbole in there.

I'll post some more a little later tonight, gotta finish my own homework first :p

Glickman
05-17-2005, 11:00 PM
thanks for your help guys! ill hook u up with some pens

spantol
05-17-2005, 11:04 PM
"In one tree's overthrow"

Well, it's an exaggeration for dramatic effect. And it's certainly not to be taken literally--it's a felled tree, not an ousted ruler.

That'd make it hyperbole.

I'm not seeing any hyperbole in there.

Target Practice
05-18-2005, 12:38 AM
"At four o'clock I shoulder ax" is a metaphor for "Do your own goddamn homework."

Glickman
05-18-2005, 12:42 AM
"At four o'clock I shoulder ax" is a metaphor for "Do your own goddamn homework."

this contributed to the thread/board how? ok, give yourself a pat on the back.

thanks to the rest of you, all i needed was a few ideas, and im pretty much running with them, maybe ill post the essay for you to laugh at :rolleyes: :D

tropical_fishy
05-18-2005, 01:20 AM
In winter in the woods alone

Repitition of a prepositional phrase for emphasis on "alone".

Against the trees I go.

Underlying theme of man vs. nature.

I mark a maple for my own

Once again, man vs. nature--alliteration to emphasize the point that he's claimed this tree.

And lay the maple low.

He's literally cut the tree down, but the "l" sound connects "lay" and "low." Make of that what you wish.

At four o-clock I shoulder ax,

I don't know if you typed that wrong, it doesn't sound like Frost to leave out words. If it's right, then I'd say it's almost but not quite personification, because he's referring to the ax like a friend or companion with a name.

etc, etc, until:

For yet another blow.

Kind of an enigmatic final line for Frost, but ti can be interpreted in a bunch of different ways. You can take it as the speaker's literal blows to the tree, or as a metaphor for human destruction of nature, or even as a symbol of war between man and nature. Whichever you like. Industrial revolution and all that funness.

SpecialBlend2786
05-18-2005, 02:15 AM
yeah...listen to her. She's smarter than me or something..

spantol
05-18-2005, 07:58 AM
To "shoulder ax" is a more literary way to say "pack up for the day and go home." I'd call it metonymy, the ax standing in for the rest of the process.

I don't know if you typed that wrong, it doesn't sound like Frost to leave out words. If it's right, then I'd say it's almost but not quite personification, because he's referring to the ax like a friend or companion with a name.

ScatterPlot
05-18-2005, 04:06 PM
Pretty basic one here, guess you can't see the forest for the trees (pun intended :))

The poem rhymes. I'm pretty sure that's a literary thingy.

Glickman
05-18-2005, 06:47 PM
actually i ended up using symbolism as my main thing, both poems used tree's to represent people, and escapism