PDA

View Full Version : So why stay with AO?

Lohman446
05-18-2005, 12:06 PM
It comes off as sometimes that I am hostile to AO, to AGD, and to its supporters. Although this is not the case, it is sometimes the case that I am less than friendly towards those that to me have an extreme viewpoint and almost blind following of AGD. I have great respect for what AGD was, for what TK accomplished in his time, and for much of what he did.

The question comes, why do I stay on AO? Are there not other owners groups that would be more indicative of what I own now. Coincidentally I do own a mag, but some of the people who post regularly may not.

I stay on AO for many reasons. I find overall it has less offensive people. It has, overall, people who are mature, and there are posters that I would truly miss the insight of. I find AO to be overall helpful, with space for mature discussion that does not, normally, disintigrate into petty bickering. There seems to be a variety of opinions, and users who will state there opinion, even if not popular.

For the things that I say that are not positive towards AO... I like AO, these things are not meant to be negative, I appreciate AO, I appreciate its existence, and I appreciate many who post here regulary.

Now we know why I make AO my primary forum. Why do you continue to use AO?

trevorjk
05-18-2005, 12:14 PM
becuase PBR never works for me, and when it does, it makes me feel stupid. that and the people are nicer and all around more intelligent then PBR. and this is a rare forum where you can just lurk and actually appreciate it

eNder159
05-18-2005, 12:16 PM
It comes off as sometimes that I am hostile to AO, to AGD, and to its supporters. Although this is not the case, it is sometimes the case that I am less than friendly towards those that to me have an extreme viewpoint and almost blind following of AGD. I have great respect for what AGD was, for what TK accomplished in his time, and for much of what he did.

The question comes, why do I stay on AO? Are there not other owners groups that would be more indicative of what I own now. Coincidentally I do own a mag, but some of the people who post regularly may not.

I stay on AO for many reasons. I find overall it has less offensive people. It has, overall, people who are mature, and there are posters that I would truly miss the insight of. I find AO to be overall helpful, with space for mature discussion that does not, normally, disintigrate into petty bickering. There seems to be a variety of opinions, and users who will state there opinion, even if not popular.

For the things that I say that are not positive towards AO... I like AO, these things are not meant to be negative, I appreciate AO, I appreciate its existence, and I appreciate many who post here regulary.

because AO is the only place where i dont read the words AGG in every other post

alooney11
05-18-2005, 12:22 PM
There is a lot of useful info about gun problems, i have printed most of the usefull stuff and keep it in my gun case.

MadPSIence
05-18-2005, 12:23 PM
^ true

PBR and especially PBN are hellholes of those most screwed up kids in america

teufelhunden
05-18-2005, 12:25 PM
I migrated to AO from my original home of PBR for a number of reasons-- lack of any intelligent discussion, more morons than one could shake a stick at, and some general issues.

I stay at AO because once one gets past the blind AGD following, it's not a bad place to be. For one, most people post in sentences. With punctuation. That alone puts it above most forums on the net. Secondly, it seems that the average age is above that of the local nursery school, another plus. And of course, AO is just generally decent.

bound for glory
05-18-2005, 12:33 PM
i am what you would call a "hardcore" agd guy. i've been shoting agd scince cfo355. when everybody was shoting tippman 68specials and pmi3s i went against the grain and got a automag. had alot of trouble with 355. but tk always took care of me. i've had every gun agd has made except a minimag. even had 2 ptp micromags. now i have a devilmag, which is still a mag. i'm 37. the devilmag will most likly be my last marker. i was out of paintball from 2000 to 2002. when i reentered, i could have bought ANY marker i wanted. no budget. no $ limit. i got an emag. i did'nt think twice about buying agd. i will always shot agd. hardcore. i will say this about ao: it bothers me that alot of people come to ao and have bad attatudes about mags. and when others say it would make ao much smaller if these un-mag people would leave ao, i say go. :cheers: maybe i'm the idiot for thinking ao is for fans of mags and agd. :tard: i don't care. i don't waste my time and go on other marker owners sites and post. why, if you don't like mags, come here?

Duzzy
05-18-2005, 12:51 PM
i am what you would call a "hardcore" agd guy. i've been shoting agd scince cfo355. when everybody was shoting tippman 68specials and pmi3s i went against the grain and got a automag. had alot of trouble with 355. but tk always took care of me. i've had every gun agd has made except a minimag. even had 2 ptp micromags. now i have a devilmag, which is still a mag. i'm 37. the devilmag will most likly be my last marker. i was out of paintball from 2000 to 2002. when i reentered, i could have bought ANY marker i wanted. no budget. no $ limit. i got an emag. i did'nt think twice about buying agd. i will always shot agd. hardcore. i will say this about ao: it bothers me that alot of people come to ao and have bad attatudes about mags. and when others say it would make ao much smaller if these un-mag people would leave ao, i say go. :cheers: maybe i'm the idiot for thinking ao is for fans of mags and agd. :tard: i don't care. i don't waste my time and go on other marker owners sites and post. why, if you don't like mags, come here?

Why come to an Internet Forum if you don't like posting what they want to, doing what they want to, joining where they want to, and having their own opinion? Not to be a pain but it is something to think about.

Even before I owned an Automag I lurked here, never joined because I never saw a need. Actually I never joined any internet forum until I got a Paypal account and that was only so I could buy things.

However, even if I sold my X-Mag and my RT Custom I would probably stick around because of the people. For the most part they are intelligent people who can type without using AGG and L33T and all that jazz. The few that aren't don't generally bother me that much.

Lohman, thanks for making some intelligent posts. It looks like you are trying to bring AO back to what it was, and for that I thank you. If I am wrong, well, don't tell me...

Cire
05-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Because AO still has more intelligent topics and posts than any other of the forums that I have visited.

I use to lurk on PBReview & PBNation for information, now I only use AO. It is a lot easier to separate the wheat from the chaff here than any of the other sites. People here communicated in a well thought out manner which leads to the credibility of a site and makes it much easier to read.

Back to :ninja:

Paintchucker
05-18-2005, 01:00 PM
It comes off as sometimes that I am hostile to AO, to AGD, and to its supporters. Although this is not the case, it is sometimes the case that I am less than friendly towards those that to me have an extreme viewpoint and almost blind following of AGD.

I stay on AO for many reasons. I find overall it has less offensive people.

It seems that perhaps you should behave more in the manner that draws you to the site. While sometimes it is hard not to get aggravated with some people, the bottom line is that "you cannot tell stupid people they are stupid because they just can't understand".

I come here because I really enjoy my 3 Mags. I have played with them and worked with them for over a decade. I have never played with a cocker, but dont hate them. I have never played with an Angel, don't hate them either. I do have an ION, which I am learning to enjoy.

I like the technical discussions here about paintball.

I think the maturity level here is higher than average, but we still get the wieners that come into a thread that is clearly marked what the subject matter is and post stupid silliness and bashings. If you don't like the XYZ gun don't read XYZ threads... This is a site for Automag Owners , and is not limited to simply AUTOMAG Paintball guns.

spyderkiller
05-18-2005, 01:06 PM
Doesn't seem like I've been around here for as long as I have. When I first lurked for months and even when I registered I didn't own a mag, but it was the intelligence of the people on the forum that caused me to want to get a mag...not because of all of those "why should i get a mag" threads, but simply because of the feeling I got from the posts on AO. Hung around the tippmann forum for a while while I had a 98 custom and then quit forums altogether for almost a year. As you can see from my registration date and my number of posts, I don't post a whole lot, but I really do enjoy just relaxing in front of my computer and reading what people have to say, look through what people are selling, and once in a while throw in my two cents. AO is like my family and my home no matter where I am.

UTDragun
05-18-2005, 01:13 PM
or another word, loyalty
why do ppl still cheer for the teams with least fans, who have more losses than the rest of the teams combined? becuase its something they enjoy, some ppl enjoy being different, even if its not the best available option
take pride in what you love

im right there with ya bfg

ultralight
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
i stay on AO for several reasons.

i like the fact that if i serarch, this place is old enough to have the answer to just about any tech related question that i may have. regardless of marker.

the people here, for the most part, are usually willing to be helpful, decent human beings. even if they don't agree with your particular viewpoint.
i like that the people here generally post well thought out, intelligent threads and replies.

i own an automag, and i am thoroughly pleased with it's performance.

paintball talk usually creates some very interesting discussions.

the workshop is probably the single most interesting place on the internet in my opinion. (i love DIY marker modding.)

the people that i have dealt with in the classifieds section are some of the friendliest, most well mannered peolpe that i have ever met on the internet. i can also find just about any part that i want at a great price without leaving my house. and i get to help some guy out by turning something that was useless to him into money in his pocket.

i remain here on AO because i think that it is, even if it is not what it "used to be", one of the friendliest, most helpful internet communities in existence.

on a side note, i believe that we could make things better if we followed a bit of TK's advice:

"We do not allow our markers to be put down but we do not put down others markers. We seek to learn and to transfer that knowledge to others in a friendly way."

just something to keep in mind. :cheers:

Duzzy
05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
I am all for loyalty. Loyalty is a dumb sounding word but a good thing.

However, you can be loyal without be arrogant, intolerant, ignorant, or over-zealous.

Be loyal, don't be an intolerant over-zealous pain in the rear whose only goal in life is to whine, complain, and bash everything they don't like.

It is all about RESPECT!

Edit:

There was a post in-between my response so I will include the original quote for clarity.

or another word, loyalty
why do ppl still cheer for the teams with least fans, who have more losses than the rest of the teams combined? becuase its something they enjoy, some ppl enjoy being different, even if its not the best available option
take pride in what you love

im right there with ya bfg

SCpoloRicker
05-18-2005, 01:20 PM
AO days (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171884)

tyrion2323
05-18-2005, 01:45 PM

Because I like screaming and ripping my hair out. :p

cdacda13
05-18-2005, 02:10 PM
I use AO because i enjoy feeling dumb. Everyone here is so smart. I checked out the deep blue section, and i felt like a retart trying to read "Hamlet"

SCpoloRicker
05-18-2005, 02:30 PM
I use AO because i enjoy feeling dumb. Everyone here is so smart. I checked out the deep blue section, and i felt like a retart trying to read "Hamlet"

I enjoy Shakespeare. I don't post in Deep Blue. So I don't know if I'm a retart or not.

/no harm intended ;)

onedude36
05-18-2005, 02:55 PM
more morons than one could shake a stick at, and some general issues.
-teufelhunden

^^the only other time i've every heard/read that phrase was in redwall books. :D

Any way, I've been haunting AO for a long time, but just recently registered because I finally got an email address :clap: There seems to be less hate on here, and less angry 12 year olds.

Ok kiddies, once when I was a little new to paintball like some, I saw an E-MAG :wow: I thought it was so cool I asked the air smith, He told me about mags. Eventually I found AO searching for mags.

Creative Mayhem
05-18-2005, 03:02 PM
i am what you would call a "hardcore" agd guy. i've been shoting agd scince cfo355. when everybody was shoting tippman 68specials and pmi3s i went against the grain and got a automag. had alot of trouble with 355. but tk always took care of me. i've had every gun agd has made except a minimag. even had 2 ptp micromags. now i have a devilmag, which is still a mag. i'm 37. the devilmag will most likly be my last marker. i was out of paintball from 2000 to 2002. when i reentered, i could have bought ANY marker i wanted. no budget. no $ limit. i got an emag. i did'nt think twice about buying agd. i will always shot agd. hardcore.

What he said. :D except for being as old as him..... :D

I love my mags, I have shot almost everything else but nothing has met my expectations of what a marker/company should be, not to mention the fact this forum has become a second home with my close group of friends that I would consider family. Sure there is bickering, fighting, but as a whole, AO is probably one of the best forums out there(next to Thordic.com of course :D)

Spacemanvic
05-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Because we hate PBN more.

Kidding, I kid, Im a kidder.

I like all the info I find on these boards and all the people I've "met". Much better caliber than what you find on PBN.

And to anyone who thinks Im a Mag bigot elitist etc.....chill!!!! Some times I come across rough. According to my wife, family, and a few others, I am as subtle as a brick. Everyone do your thing, just dont hurt the guy to your right.

:cheers:

bound for glory
05-18-2005, 03:05 PM
oh, i'm not against others opinions. and i could care less what kind of gun you use. i just can't understand why someone would come to AO, which, if i'm not mistaken, stands for automag owners, and tear down mags. or have a sig like my imp>your mag. wtf :tard: go away, then. it gets old reading posts about how great "some other companys gun is". i don't care. you come on ao and put down mags. great. go buy your self a cookie. :clap: i shot agd. i support agd. maybe if there was more loyalty, agd might not be where it is today. but how can that happen when you have people who come here and make some of the comments that are made? what? because the "gods" who play tournys don't shot emags does that mean its a crap product? hardly.or xmags? how many devilmags you think are gonna hit the tourny feilds? i've been flamed for "bragging" about my devilmag. i've been flamed for saying enough with the ion threads. well, at least i talk about A MAG variant on AO!

teufelhunden
05-18-2005, 03:22 PM
I enjoy Shakespeare. I don't post in Deep Blue. So I don't know if I'm a retart or not.

/no harm intended ;)

Be quiet, moran!

:ninja:

WenULiVeUdiE
05-18-2005, 03:28 PM
It's more trafficed by smarter, more mature people. That and I dont have to moderate anything, like I do with FoN.

tdogreb
05-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I agree with bound for glory,I'm a hardcore AGD user. I love my mags and hate to here people come on to an automag site and put them down. I come to AO to read about what's going on in the mag world of paintball, whats new, what mag user's are up to ,where they'er playing, tips on improving my mags, and what the dealers on AO are doing. Now I feel like I know a lot of the people here, even though I've never met another AO member.

Eatem Alive
05-18-2005, 05:04 PM
AO days (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=171884)
word!

etjoyride
05-18-2005, 05:24 PM
I've been hanging around AO for about a year or two even though i only recently joined.I, like many others, feel that AO has a much more intellectual group than other forums such as PBN. I have been, and plan to stick to AO as my main paintball forum because i can learn about every aspect of the paintballing world and learn about just about any gun I wish to. Even though I'm sure that I will go through a variety of different guns i plan to always try to have a mag because they are some of the simplest nicest shooting guns out there. Also i can buy whatever i need here :) .

Maggot6
05-18-2005, 05:47 PM
You ever notice, how in highschool everyone is trying to prove to the rest of the world that they are *cool* or *tough* or even "gangsta" :eek:. And how they treat the common person like :cuss:? And then you go to an average university, and everyone is alot more mature, and if someone doesn't think they are cool, or gangsta, they just don't care to proove it to anyone? And they are just more mature in general..

At places like pbnation, (which I regularily visit, not trying to bash it) it reminds me of the little kids argueing over nothing, and trying to prove something to everyone. As if they were in highschool. And here I notice that everyone has a certain respect, which you only find when you graduate, and go to university.

IF that made sense to anyone...At all..

Chronobreak
05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
+ AO has the super cool :ninja:

and :dance:

:D

AO is one of the best forums i have been to as well as having an outstanding search feature and a generally great member base. although seems to have somewhat detiorated as of lately it still seems for the most part fine.

also great post about the state of the sport and industry with people in the know :cheers:

gc82000
05-18-2005, 06:24 PM
to see all the new inventions or designs that are supposed to come out for the mags. and to hopefully chat with TK a bit more.

hitech
05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
There are some truely interesting threads every now and then. But, regardless, it's home...

Cameo
05-20-2005, 12:08 AM
I followed some guy into here...
Then I was left all alone to fend for myslef, just havn't found my way out cause I have been to busy watching the "scenery". :wow:

On a more serious note, between Automag, POG, and various paint ball magazines I have learned alot about the sport in the past couple years... One of these days I just might get myself a paint ball gun. lol :shooting:

shartley
05-20-2005, 06:11 AM
AO is one of the forums I still post on, and I am a member of just about every major paintball forum out there. AO however is not the best paintball forum online. It is better than PBN in many aspects, but in my opinion not THAT much better. But it is enough to keep me posting here from time to time though.

AO does have some interesting conversations. But not like it used to be. It is however a community which I have become involved in and have not yet decided to give up on…. CLOSE at times, but not yet.

GT
05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Because I am reading and posting from Taiwan, it's 11:37pm local btw.

gt

SCpoloRicker
05-20-2005, 11:09 AM
AO is one of the forums I still post on, and I am a member of just about every major paintball forum out there. AO however is not the best paintball forum online. It is better than PBN in many aspects, but in my opinion not THAT much better. But it is enough to keep me posting here from time to time though.

AO does have some interesting conversations. But not like it used to be. It is however a community which I have become involved in and have not yet decided to give up on…. CLOSE at times, but not yet.

Oh, you're back stronger than ever. :)

Scott Hudnall
05-20-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree with some of the previous posts......it's a lot about respect, and it's alot about taking pride in what you love.

REDRT
05-20-2005, 11:46 PM
I like/use mags. This is the best source of info reguarding mags. I have also meet real people on the field from this forum. I find that neat. I hate topics like who is liable, fantacy governments and ramping is bad topics, but it gets me all fired up. That is good in a sence also. I like to think. Sometimes many of these topics make you think to the point of migraine or maybe it is just the yelling I do when I read them. Anyways I still like it here.