PDA

View Full Version : Old player returning - help fixing L7 mag

Prongo
05-18-2005, 04:41 PM
Hello all,

I haven't played in about ten years but my girlfriend and daughter both want to play now, so I've been told to get myself in working order :)

I have an old level 7 automag with a vertical ASA. Its all stock and no aftermarket parts. I used it for several years with no problems and then put it in storage for ten years. I recently took it out to put air through it and it was leaking like crazy out the barrel.

I took it apart, cleaned and oiled all the O-rings and fittings, and tried to shoot some oil through the asa adapter. Still leaking. So I replaced every single O-ring in the marker. Still leaking, albeit slower this time. I had forgotten to take off the velocity adjuster for inspection, so I took that off the back of the marker and gave it a cleaning and a touch of oil too. No leak after that.

So I shot a few rounds without problem, but when rapid fired it started a huge leak out through the barrel again. Also, the trigger was unable to fire as if it had no gas. Since then, the leak is back in full force. I can't seem to track down the real cause of it.

Someone suggested that the problem was the marker drawing liquid and that seemed to make sense ( I have no regulator or anti-siphon bottles). But it occured to me, if this was so, why have I never had a problem with drawing liquid in the several years I played with it back in the early 90s?

Do you have any thought on how to troubleshoot the leak? Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

rb211
05-18-2005, 06:06 PM
As fas as the leak down the barrel goes, you probably have the spring spacer in your power tube (given the age of your gun). You can buy a power tube spacer kit for it which replaces the spring. This might fix the barrel leak if you have changed all of the o-rings in there already.

zeke1975
05-18-2005, 06:59 PM
Does your marker still leak out the barrel if you hold the trigger down?

if it does, check your on/off, if not it's somewhere in the powertube.

Prongo
05-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Thank you for the replies!

Yes, I have the old spring spacers. I want to upgrade it anyway so I'll buy the spacer kit and probably the new level 10 bolt assembly.

The mag is behaving one of two ways now. If I let it sit for a few hours, then when I put air back into it, there is a very slow leak that appears to be coming from the power tube. If I shoot it slowly for more than a couple of shots then the leak gets very large and the pin behind the trigger fails to move forward and the gun cannot shoot. The other behavior is that there is no leak but if I rapid fire it, then the same thing occurs and the leak is even bigger. Holding down the trigger has no effect on the leak and, again, the pin won't move forward to allow the trigger to contact it.

athomas
05-21-2005, 08:26 AM
The powertube spring is probably shorter now than it was 10 yrs ago. That would contribute to the leaking down the barrel. Also, the bolt stick you are experiencing is a result of the bolt spring being worn out from sitting in the semi-compressed state for 10 years. Replace the powertube spring with a spacer kit and replace the bolt spring. Alternately, if you put a level 10 bolt kit in the gun, it will replace the spacer kit and the bolt spring plus you will get the best mechanical antichop system available.