PDA

View Full Version : Equality vs Disparity

AutomagBoy
05-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Quite simple enough would you rather have a society of equal opportunity at equality or an equal opportunity at disparity??(Sounds like an oxymoron, but I mean it not to be).

Rephrase: Would you rather have the ability to be the same as anyone else or the ability to be better than anyone else.

RingOfScale
05-19-2005, 10:58 PM
not sure what your asking, so i voted equality because it starts with e, my 20th favorite letter

SpecialBlend2786
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Quite simple enough would you rather have a society of equal opportunity at equality or an equal opportunity at disparity??(Sounds like an oxymoron, but I mean it not to be).

Rephrase: Would you rather have the ability to be the same as anyone else or the ability to be better than anyone else.

yeahhhhhh i think that still needs rewording

Would you rather have everybody equal including yourself, or have the chance of being on a higher plain even though somebody else is lower or not as better off.

something like that right?

AutomagBoy
05-19-2005, 11:21 PM
yeahhhhhh i think that still needs rewording

Would you rather have everybody equal including yourself, or have the chance of being on a higher plain even though somebody else is lower or not as better off.

something like that right?

The more i explain the more i am naturally going to bais it towards my side. Would you rather everyone perform to their ability whether it puts them in a high class or a low class. Or would you perfer everyone be apart of the same class despite their ability.

SpecialBlend2786
05-19-2005, 11:30 PM
The more i explain the more i am naturally going to bais it towards my side. Would you rather everyone perform to their ability whether it puts them in a high class or a low class. Or would you perfer everyone be apart of the same class despite their ability.

that's perfectly explained :)

Target Practice
05-20-2005, 01:04 AM
From a paper I did for a PoliSci class...

What makes equality under the law different from a “forced equality”? When you force equality, when you use coercion to remove or restrict people’s natural in order to level the proverbial playing field, you are denying the more talented their abilities. However, if you raise up the less talented while allowing the talented to keep their abilities, then you are not depriving anyone of anything. This allows the people originally in the position to exercise their talents to do so, while also allowing for the people who may have had talent, but were unable to exercise them. This can be caused by many factors in the status quo; race, sex, or socio-economic background.

Basically, you can't have a true equal society if you force people to be equal. It might be a little much for you to wrap your brain around, but it comes with time.

Jakedubbleya
05-20-2005, 03:56 AM
Cant get into this one without going pretty deep into social justice philosophies using the original definition.

so i wont.

just know that i vote desparity, somewhat along the same lines as target practice but on a more personal level.

Although using your new definition it becomes rather easyer. i believe all people were born for certain tasks or "callings", not all can be presidents, not all should be rich, not all would use beauty wisely. assuming that we are all equal by our humanity and not our skills, it then becomes important that people use what they have, and not who has what.

"Equality", in truth, would turn the beauty of the equality we already have, into a beurocratic shell of humanity.