PDA

View Full Version : how do i know when i am ready to play in tournaments?

master_alexander
05-22-2005, 06:38 PM
i have been into paintball for a year and it has really picked up in the past couple of months. (i know own 3 guns, 2 mags and a bko) i am 14 and referee soccer to make money, and am going to work at my llocal paintball park this summer.

i just found ouit that in 2 weeks there is a 3 man rookie tournament. me and my friends are thinking of entering it, but we don't really think we are ready. i have never played a tournament before. my mag is fast and not done yet but i don't know what i should do.

to enter or not to enter.

what would you reccomend? we really don't wanna drop about 300 (after entry, air and paint for 3 people) in on a tournament just to loose. but it would be pretty fun.

p8ntball365
05-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I was playing tournes sooner than a year when i started to play. So what if you loose, just learn. If you don't wanna play watch. You can learn just as much by watching.

blz346
05-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Assuming you guys have some speedball experience together, I'd say go for it.

Tournaments are an absolute blast to play in, however they aren't for everybody - the only way to find out is to jump in head first. Just be confident in your abilities and try not to let the other teams intimidate you.

For your first tournament it really doesn't pay to worry about winning or losing, just be sure that you guys play to the best of your abilities.

Asian_Sensation
05-22-2005, 07:05 PM
^
^
^
now i like this guy ^

well said.

68magOwner
05-22-2005, 07:28 PM
the 2nd time i EVER played speedball was a tournament, yes, i started way to soon, but, we actually did ok, and played more afterwards.

I suggest you play, and just keep playing as many tourneys as possible, my first tournament season, we never won anything, but, you will get better, playing tourenys/scrimmaging tourney teams is how you will get better

SAW
05-22-2005, 07:38 PM
How about play in some rookie tournies, then decide for yourself? Don't play on moving up the ladder for a little while.

my2crazyeyes
05-22-2005, 07:38 PM
If you wana talk about being in over your head, the first time anyone on my team played speedball we entered into an open tournament, and the fastest gun on our team was my Classic RT, boy did we learn a lot QUICK. I say go for it, the best way to learn is get out there and play, you can only get so good playing the same people, besides you never know you might actually do well.

Good luck, if you guys decide to play be sure to tell us the results no matter what they may be!

-Chris

master_alexander
05-22-2005, 07:51 PM
thanks guys :D

we have always played speedball together, and at the begining of the day we usally play a couple 3 on 3's and toes are always fun.

now there is a money problem... but we can fix that, i hope...

Pullman
05-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Your markers have soooo little to do with whether you are ready or not. Get together and practice playing together as a team. Just talk talk talk while you are on the field and have fun. :D

luke
05-22-2005, 08:18 PM
I would say you are ready when you can walk over your average rec. player with little effort.

Now that does not necessarily mean it’s going to get you in the finals or even close in your first few tournements, but it’s the next step in your playing career.

Generally people move up when rec. play becomes boring and lacks challenge. Really there is no need to do it before, wait till your ready. ;)

JRingold
05-22-2005, 08:30 PM
GO FOR IT!!! Even if you lose every game, you are still playing, right! You have to take a chance at least once.

One tip, most rookies play "elimination" before they go for the flag. If you have good angles and can get to it first, the flag pull will get you some easy points!!!

Don't worry about the spelling mistake, some people are straight from PBN and haven't developed their on-line manners, yet. :rofl:

mark_1791
05-22-2005, 08:58 PM
I would say you are ready when you can walk over your average rec. player with little effort.Well I guess that means I need to start playing tourneys...I commonly get 4-5 people out a game, and have gotten 5 out in a 5 on 5 game :D .

cougar20th
05-22-2005, 09:09 PM
the way i see it is go play and have fun.. that the most important part. learn as much as you can. communicate when playing. watch other games when not playing. the first few will mostlikly be learning experiances.

also some of my local fields have team practice days. dont know if yours do or not. if they do id say go to some of them to get more practice and see how other teams are.

professor_chaos
05-22-2005, 09:13 PM
Don't worry about the spelling mistake, some people are straight from PBN and haven't developed their on-line manners, yet. :rofl:

Exactly what I was thinking. As far as the tournament scence goes enter when you think you are ready and when you want to. Heck, I'm 21 and have been playing for years and will be playing in my first tourny at the end of june. I've just been more into woodsball until the last year, started playing airball with a bunch of pretty talented guys and realized I liked it alot. Like someone said up above, you can learn alot by watching and oh yea the obvious, communication.

REDRT
05-22-2005, 09:20 PM
My theory on the subject is when you have all the gear you may need and a few people to form a team even if it is for that day. Have enough money to buy a case each for starters. Maybe enough money for a case or two after that. Give it a whirl. Play at the lowest level that you qualify for and go for it. I have seen many of teams do well just like that. That is ground level. You might suprise yourself or you might get all shot up, but you will have fun none the less.

Jotsy
05-22-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm with REDRT on this. As long as you have your gear, then technically you're ready.. heck, first tourny i played in, i didn't even have a pack... i put my pods in my pockets (i had very deep pockets :rofl: )... also, that was the second time i had ever played speedball... and the first time i played, i was playing with a pump! :headbang:

being "tourny worthy" is a state of mind. nobody can tell you if you're ready or not, you just know... its kinda like being The One... or was that being in love? haha :rofl:

minimag03
05-23-2005, 06:42 AM
I started my first organized team this season. I still don't think I'm ready to play, but everyone else says I sam, so I just try my best. Even if you don't know you are ready, practice a day with the two friends you want to play with. If it goes well, have another pracitce. If that is good, try the 3-man.

Maggot6
05-23-2005, 06:53 AM
It was kinda weird. I was playing on a rec feild for a bit, and me and my frieind never were getting out. And me and my friend always got everyone out. So we decided to go to a "more professional" feild; Man did that change. We sorta stepped onto the feild where everyone was with their team; and my friend and I just kinda looked at eachother. And figured " well, they could just have all this stuffbecause their daddies bought it for them, they might suck"... And guess what; they sucked.Every time we go to a rec feild like that everyone does not play as good as their equipment makes them look. Don't judge a team buy how good they look, or the markers they shoot in a tourny. So whenever you figure ou yourplaying team "xxx" with all dm5's and their Dye gear; don't get to intimidated. Just go out, try to win and if you lose, well, you leanred a hell of alot more than playing rec.

SCpoloRicker
05-23-2005, 12:00 PM
Your ready for a tournament right now. So's your sister and that guy up the street.

I'd recommend you play.

/Asian Sensation: diaf