PDA

View Full Version : inconsistant and the ole' 8 hole mod

bigpoppa7979
05-23-2005, 03:48 PM
My mag seems a bit inconsistant and I was wondering about that old 8 hole mod that I've heard about. I know, I know, the 8 hole mod is worthless, BUT I heard that there was an actual reason for it. That some OLD mags had troubles with the holes not aligning right. Well, my mag is about a '94 (power tube is not removable, but the video I have shows it is). I was wondering how old is old, when it comes to this.

I am noticing shootdown, especially on 2 very quick shots, the send will dive. thanks.

rb211
05-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Are you using HPA or CO2?

SpitFire1299
05-23-2005, 06:56 PM
The 8-hole mod isnt under AGD Warranty, so it may not be all that good.

BigEvil
05-23-2005, 06:56 PM
When I was running my old Minimag on c02, i did notice a terrible shootdown if I had a really bad paint/barrel match. If the paint would roll right out, then I would get drop off. Once I started matching the bores of the paint to the bore of the barrel it was like a whole new gun. I had actually suguested this remedy to some mag guys years ago with really goor results.

It should be the same for HPA too.

Also, do you have any aftermarket parts on the gun? Any 'performance enhancing' aftermarket mods for the classic valve are better off on e-bay than on your gun.

If the above doesnt help, than I would suguest checking everything from the air source to the reg part of the valve. I have seen teflon tape clog up a mag reg, ive seen secondary regs cause issues, poorly set up expansion chambers, incorrectly used anti-syphon tubes... the list goes on and on. You may also consider replacing the spring pack in the mags reg. They do wear out over time.

It would help if you could give us a better idea of your setup?

bigpoppa7979
05-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Sorry, of course it would help if I gave some more info. Classic (pre-star valve), CO2, vert mount, and a SS hose with a 3 inch loop in it back to the valve. No after market parts. Non-removable powertube, spring spacer in the PT.

Dayspring
05-24-2005, 12:21 PM
Try replacing the reg seat first.

Also, try using HPA instead of CO2.

Jaan
05-24-2005, 04:13 PM
I have a "pre star" 'mag circa 1995 and an 8 hole mod did help along with a "Reactor" on/off valve. The original on/off's were very restrictive. AD eventually changed these and made them more free flowing ... not as much as aftermarket but better. There was also such a thing as a "10 hole" mod that opened up 2 more passageways but I never felt the need to do it. My 8 hole mod wasn't as dramatic as some I've seen but it worked ... all I did was copy the existing hole 7 more times around the circle, using a simple rotary table and a milling machine. Right now she shoots awesome on CO2 with the mods mentioned and an expansion chamber. I used an anti siphon on a bottom line but now I prefer remote. Of course, I still have the original trigger frame so I'm *only* shooting 7 or 8 balls a second (c: