PDA

View Full Version : USMC Mag

Alpha
05-23-2005, 04:07 PM
I've been brainstorming different summer project ideas... And I love the Marine Corps (for they fight and die for all of us)... So why not put togethor a USMC pride mag to show my appreciation for all they do?

I was thiking of doing a general armed forces mag, and myabe getting all the seals of the 5 branches put on the body, but that would be way more work.

I want to work off a minimag. I was thinking of getting the body and rail powdercoated red (but are am/mm rails aluminum?)

I can paint the back end of the barrel yellow, so when you look at it through the grill in the body, you see the yellow accents...

I'll probably do yellow hardline throughout the whole air system. I'm looking at a one-starred valve, and I'll probably take it apart and have the shell powercoated (thus voiding warrenty).

Where it once said MiniMag, I'll have it engraved to say USMC, and on the other side, engrave an EGA into it (I'm scouting for a laser engraver now too).

I'll probably krylon the trigger frame red, keep the grips black and do the trigger yellow. Working off a single trigger frame here.

Ideas/Thoughts?

Soopa Villain17
05-23-2005, 04:09 PM
good idea :headbang:

Alpha
05-23-2005, 04:29 PM
concept art

Jonno06
05-23-2005, 04:35 PM
thats a great idea.

etjoyride
05-23-2005, 05:19 PM
sounds like fun

SummaryJudgement
05-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Well, you gotta put the devil dogs tag line somewhere. And maybe a dog-tag themed grip panel with info milled into it. Luke can probably do that stuff.

usmc8892
05-23-2005, 05:42 PM
That looks no less than highly motivated! Oohrah, Semper Fi!

Alpha
05-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Well thanks. This mag is for the brave men like yourself. :cheers:

Hmm the image looks kinda like crap.

CAn anyone photoshop a mini for me?

yingyang
05-23-2005, 06:00 PM
put the seal sign on the back of the vavle or somthing, dont really like the tone of the colors

mcdkid
05-23-2005, 06:03 PM
i'm on it.

devildog
05-23-2005, 06:24 PM
i have xmag grip panels with usmc coins molded into them, they are on my shark attack xmag. if you wanna use an emag i'll give you the grips. they are frymark grips

Alpha
05-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I appreciate the offer, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go for the mini. Marines like you just keep on giving. I really appreciate it :cheers:

Thanks mcdkid... My photoshop skills are a bit.. lacking. I'll probably get this all done by the end of the summer

onedude36
05-23-2005, 07:29 PM
Seriously mold dog tags inside some clear grips. And I think it should either be a minimag body or a tac one body.

Maggot6
05-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Jsut curious, there are so many troops etc out there...Who gets it?

Jotsy
05-24-2005, 12:09 AM
are you really set on that color scheme? i woulda made it more darker.. more "military" looking.... kinda like a scenario setup, but that's just me. i figure thats not what you're trying to do...

if it were me, i'd try an incorporate the logo somewhere. If possible try an mimic this layout (these are engraved, and then the engravings are inlaid with with paint of some kind.
http://www.pc-net.com.tw/intrudershop/mmc/images/NB-33U(OD)06.jpg

except of course, instead of "M-4" it'd say "MINIMAG", and instead of "5.56 MM NATO" it'd say "0.68 CAL" or "0.68 CAL PAINTBALL". I'd also try an put the genuine valve number as the serial number.

this is of course unless its infringing on any rights or sumthing... not too sure abt the rules on that...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/southerncobra/usmc-mag3.jpg

FYI, that logo on the ASA is this:
http://www.eotech-inc.com/images/usmc_logo.jpg

facing the front, and in black an white

oh, also, i thought it would be cool if it had the AGD logo on the other side of the valve too

oyea, and here's your original color scheme btw
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/southerncobra/usmc-mag2.jpg

oyea, and another thing you should note. About the dog tags in the grips, i put the two visible on this side.. thats means that the other side (the right panel) has no dog tags in it.... unless you use 2 pairs.

i opted to make the two visible together cos i figured a single dog tag usually signifies a deceased soldier (correct me if i'm wrong tho)

Vex
05-24-2005, 12:40 AM
I want to work off a minimag. I was thinking of getting the body and rail powdercoated red (but are am/mm rails aluminum?)
The bodies are SS. They can be powdercoated.

Ahhh, you asked about the rails...yes, they are aluminum. Sorry for not reading thoroughly!

Good luck with your venture.

Beemer
05-24-2005, 01:01 AM
I was thiking of doing a general armed forces mag, and myabe getting all the seals of the 5 branches put on the body, but that would be way more work.

Yup.

And I love the Marine Corps [for they fight and die for all of us]...

And they are not the only ones. See first quote.

No offense to the USMC, I just cant love one more or less then another. U.S.A. Armed Forces, I love em all for what they do.

Great Idea by the way. Use SS line and you can use different colered[multi] heat shrink for the theme. Like red white and blue or something stripes on the line.

I have the higher res seals of these. If you want them. See sig. Oh ya Flag with ribbon is courtesy of Shartly.

Its an awesome project to accomplish. If you use SS line tell me what you need and I will send it on behalf of The U.S.Armed F.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

http://home.comcast.net/~beemerone/SigPic.jpg

spyderkiller
05-24-2005, 09:38 AM
I like the idea, but I like the thought of having all branches represented. However, realizing how daunting of a task it would be to try to incorporate all branches onto one minimag, maybe this should become a whole series of minis....as time and funds become available of course. I guarantee you'd find buyers for them if they are of any quality, unless you wanted to keep it/them.

Alpha
05-24-2005, 03:37 PM
Wow jotsy your photoshop is like 9x better then mine ever was. :clap: gg

How abotu an all Olive Drab powdercoat (trigger frame excluded, but paint the grips something different), and have USMC on one side and on the other side, use your idea from those M4 recievers. So it will be almots like one of those M4's, but minimag style.

I think I like that much better.

I like the idea of putting the dog tags in the grip. Maybe trace it out, then use a soddering iron to melt out a groove for it to fit in, then glue them in place.

But who's dogtags would I use? I know I can get some made up. I was also thinking of for the hardline, maybe I could find a mechanic who works on hummers and buy some old breakline off a hummer.

Just small stuff like that to make it a bit more sentimental.

I'd NEVER sell something like this, but I would, however, give it to someone worthy.

EDIT: Another idea for the laser engraving: On one side read Semper Fidelis, and on the other side, something like "Dedicated to those who fight and die for our freedom..."

hydro_spankie
05-24-2005, 04:06 PM
I had just a few ideas i think its great first of all I just got out of the Marines and its great to see people do things like this. But on the color the Marine corps colors are crimson and gold so instead of yellow it would look sweet if it was anodized gold or powdercoted gold. Also on one side of the valve you could use the POW/MIA emblem that would add a sweet touch. Or on the grips inlay a EGA (eagle, globe, and ancor) on one side and the POW/MIA emblem on the other. Hope you go through with this id like to try the same with my mag if you figure out a design. Semper Fi! :cheers:

B.A.M.
05-24-2005, 04:13 PM
pretty nice idea alpha. When you get it done youll have to bring it to a local field since we live near eachother.

Alpha
05-24-2005, 04:17 PM
Oohrah! Closing in a deal right now.. I need a friggin job. The money I've been saving up for the last few years is slowly dwindling.

Gresat ideas, keep them all coming!

hurdlebeast
05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
First, I would like to say that I support any and all armed forces fighting for us (especially marines) and i support you Alpha for doing this.

I know very little about mags, but maybe, just maybe, could there be someway to make it look like a sidearm? i dunno if it's even possible, with the barrel length as it is, but i think that would look really cool.

SummaryJudgement
05-24-2005, 05:59 PM
I don't think I was clear earlier...let me explain. I think that it would be cool if the whole grip panel was a dog tag. One big friggin dogtag...not that the other ideas aren't cool...just re-iterating my idea...

Alpha
05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
A very good idea... I could get it embossed like a real one too.

I'm buying a bearded dragon in teh comming weeks, plus I'm finishing up my schoolwork for the year (I end June 24th, its horribe) Ill have two months of vacation.... :cry:

Konigballer
05-24-2005, 09:52 PM
I've got family in the USMC and this would be a really cool idea if you actually served in the Marines, but if your just a kid in school it's kind of lame. A little too 'leatherneck wannabe'.

Alpha
05-26-2005, 06:22 PM
HEll yes I'm a wannabie, but its not like I'm parading around in cammies with unit patches claiming I'm a Marine. I'm not like those diehard hardcore kids that talk about enlisting all the time. I want to serve my country, and in the meantime, I want to find a way to pay tribute to those who DO serve.

My whole reason for wanting to join isnt to be some kind of rambo badass solid snake. I dont want to go to war. I dont want to kill people. I want to protect the people of my nation, and when the time comes, I want to protect the veterans of our armed forces who have protected this country for so long. It took us nearly 50 years to ressurect a WW2 memorial. People do not have any sort of value for serving anymore.

I play paintball (well duh), and I love the armed forces for every breath they have fought for me so that I may breathe freedom, liberty, adn justice and all that good stuff. I want to show my support, my awknowledgement(sp!), and my caring. It just so happens that I want to put togethor a minimag. So I'm going to do them both togethor.

CrimsonGhost
05-26-2005, 07:50 PM
Hey, Cool stuff.
I think its a unique and respectful way to pay TRIBUTE the Marines.
Cool idea.
Good luck with it.
If this turns out...Maybe I will pitch in for another to be made and auctioned off....proceeds going to Toys for Tots or the Gold Star foundations.

From a Marine.
Served from 92-95
Marine for life
:cheers:

HOMOCIDAL2
05-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Where it once said MiniMag, I'll have it engraved to say USMC, and on the other side, engrave an EGA into it (I'm scouting for a laser engraver now too).

FIREBALL MOUNTAIN does laser engraving.

mercury
05-27-2005, 08:06 AM
It's nice to see people doing things like this. After serving in both Iraq and just getting back from Afghanistan, it's nice to see many people showing their appreciation in their own ways.

Semper Fi

peewee
05-27-2005, 09:07 AM
I really like the idea of the lazering on the valve. ZUPE are you willing??? I'd sell my current classic to buy a USMC memorial mag. ( Im partial nothing against the other branches , But I be a jarhead).

Alpha
05-27-2005, 09:02 PM
I never knew there were so many of you around AO. Just shows how damn modest you guys are. Thanks, every one of you. And the toys for tots idea isnt half bad at all. This is probably going to be something I make a shelf for in the woodshop then just hang up somewhere in my house, and bring to special paintball events and stuff.

So far I've mustered up some cash, and I have a few friends that have a lot of spare mag parts for dirt cheap. I have a friend from another paintballforum that is going to sttempt the laser engraving. He did a pretty good job engraving a steak and cheese sub a while back, so I'm confident it will turn out nicely.

And I've definetly changed my mind on the color scheme. God my concept was horrible... :rofl:

If all goes according to plan, I'll probably have the valve and rail first.

When I get the valve powdercoated, would it be a good idea to gut it first? In the baking process, won't my O-rings melt?