PDA

View Full Version : TacOne: Justify Spending $220 Extra

JMAN
05-23-2005, 07:06 PM
I posted a topic similar to this over at A5OG.net but here goes.

I've wanted a Mag for a while. I will be coming from an A5. I was between an RPG Paradigm and a TacOne and it seems I finally decided on the TacOne (seems like a slightly better deal) until I was thrown a curve ball. A shop owner friend said he can get me an ION for $230. That's $220 less than a TacOne, $220 than can go into upgrades for the gun, gear, or just more paint.

Now I'm leaning toward the TacOne still but every time I think of of those $220 I'd have left over it makes me rethink getting the TacOne. The TacOne with it's solid reliability, and "uniqueness" has my heart. Though the money makes it hard to justify spending so much more for it.

I come to you for your well "biased" opinions, in order to justify buying the TacOne over the ION.

*How is the pull on a TacOne?
*Can R/T Mode be disabled?
*How's the overall feel?
*What Pro's/Con's does it have over an ION?
*Performance wise will it be above/below an ION out of box; how about w/ $220 of upgrades installed?
*Which gun will better suit a Woodsball player creeping into the SpeedBall scene, yet still playing WoodsBall the majority of the time.
*How will a ION hold up in the Woods?

These questions answered in addition to any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'm taking my time in order to avoid buyer's remorse. Please keep it civil, I don't care for the bashing of either gun just honest opinions of those which have used the markers. Please discuss.

onedude36
05-23-2005, 07:21 PM
Not electro light, more like your a5.
*Can R/T Mode be disabled?
The RT effect can be avoided, by using normal input with a low-medium ammout of shims in the ult.
*How's the overall feel?
I can assure you almost any mag will fell a thousand time better then the ions I've held.
*What Pro's/Con's does it have over an ION?
Pros
-more reliable
-VERY slightly lover profile
-higher quality ie feels much better and will last longer.
Cons
-not as fast when legal, just as fast bouncing.
-ion MAY have slightly better efficiency.
*Performance wise will it be above/below an ION out of box; how about w/ $220 of upgrades installed?
probably lower performance speed wise, it will last longer and has higher quality, I believe the tac one will be more consistant than a stock ion.
*Which gun will better suit a Woodsball player creeping into the SpeedBall scene, yet still playing WoodsBall the majority of the time.
Tac one
*How will a ION hold up in the Woods?
Not as well as a tac one.

minimag03
05-23-2005, 07:26 PM
The Tac One isn't that great of a deal. I'd go with a ULE custom before Tac one.

BigEvil
05-23-2005, 07:30 PM
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/24000/IMG_1688_rs.jpg (http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/24000/IMG_1688.jpg)

POW!!

Kick it up a notch.

68magOwner
05-23-2005, 07:31 PM
i would rather shoot the ion playing tourenys, but, a teammate has a tac one for fun, and its deafinately a nice, fun marker to use in rec play (can be used in tourenys too i suppose, we just choose not to) My teammate can actually walk it fairly consistently over 10bps, and it does NOT have the ULT :eek:

Boydster
05-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Not electro light, more like your a5.

I'd say it's slightly lighter than the A-5 with the stock on/off. However you can purchase the ULT on/off and reduce the pull to about 13 oz. So there you have it... Two whole different guns for different scenarios; a so-so speedball/great recball gun and an awesome woodsball gun.

The Tac One will be good for rec ball(home-town speedball course) and awesome for woods usage. However if you get into tournaments, you'll be faced up against guys with 20+ bps guns. You might want something faster for that.

professor_chaos
1) If it has ult then it will have a pretty light pull for a mech gun. Expect around 12-14 bps tops under normal circumstances.

2) The tac one is a mech marker, it doesnt have r/t mode as a tippmann would. The tac one should come with a x valve which is a variation of the AGD rt valve. You can get these valves to bounce like a tippmann rt trigger with the right input pressure and number of shims.

3)tac one---like a rock, you dont feel like your going to break it. Ion --- pretty much the opposite.

4) Pro's-- built better, more reliable, easier to maintain, can have an awesome scenario / woodsball setup. Con's-- If you creeping into the speedball scence you will eventually want more bps. The ion does beat it in the bps category, however with a mechanical gun you will improve your skills alot more than just laying down alot of paint.

5) Performance just depends on what your looking for really. Both will lay down some paint when you want them to, obviously the ion will shoot faster. Tac will prob be more reliable and more suited for woodsball.

6)Tac is suited more for woods, you can put scopes, sights, or whatever floats your boat on it.

7)Ions will be fine in the woods as long as you dont slam them up against trees and stuff, but i guess that goes for almost all markers.

most important thing is to get what you want, you will be kicking yourself if you dont

JMAN
The replies are flying in, thanks guys.

OneDude36 thanks for your reply this is the type of response I'm looking for.

Big Evil that's a mean gun you have there.

Maggot6
05-23-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, considering the number of ions I have seen, that have to be returned to the factory on the first day of play(about 4.,,Out of 7 I have seen).....And considering that I have yet to replace an oring in any of my mags....

The tacone will last you until you try and break it with a hammer. And the ion will last you as long as you take good care of it; and are lucky. ONE important factor though, do you use co2 or hpa? And how readily availiable is it to you.;...

*I do not own an ion, and I do understand that when they work , they are amazing guns. It could have just been user error that they screwed up..*

JMAN
05-23-2005, 07:49 PM
I have a 68/3000 Tank.

I also live in Miami, and there are enough PBShops that fill 3k/4.5k that it won't be a problem.

I'm starting to think that biting the bullet and going for the quality will be worth it in the long run. The speedball scene will just be an occasional thing. I'm a WoodsBaller at heart and all my buddies are put off with Speedball.

Now a Paradigm is 556.5 Shipped (ADDED: 12" CP Barrel, CP On/Off ASA and Rail Mount)

The TacOne will be around 497 (ADDED: CP On/Off ASA and Rail Mount) Shipped and will need a bottomline.

Is the paradigm worth the extra $59? I will not be mounting any scopes, the rails would be just for looks.

Also keep the discussion going.

professor_chaos
05-23-2005, 07:52 PM
look what i found

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176040

from a fellow AOer

JMAN
05-23-2005, 08:03 PM
How's this (http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176040 ) marker compare to the Paradigm/TacOne deal I posted below.

*How's an Emag Valve Compare to a XValve?
*How's a Logic Paintball Vert Frame compare to a Intelli?
*That gun does have R/T Ability right?
*Again how's the deal compare to a New $439 Paradigm?

professor_chaos
05-23-2005, 08:22 PM
*How's an Emag Valve Compare to a XValve?
Basically the same, x valve might be a bit lighter
*How's a Logic Paintball Vert Frame compare to a Intelli?
virtually the same in trigger pull. logic is a 90 degree frame
*That gun does have R/T Ability right?
yes
*Again how's the deal compare to a New $439 Paradigm?
paradigm will cost you 450 w/ ult and no barrel i think. For 500 you could buy that gun along with a full freak kit as advertised in his thread.

richie
05-23-2005, 08:35 PM
Well I would go for the TAC-ONE personally but hey,what do I know.I still have a VM-68.Besides,a Tac-One will not melt if you leave it in your car while you are at the mall :D

WARPED1
05-24-2005, 12:05 AM
Buy the Ion...........

Well I would go for the TAC-ONE personally but hey,what do I know.I still have a VM-68.Besides,a Tac-One will not melt if you leave it in your car while you are at the mall :D

Ion won't melt either, unless you can't find parking and have to park on the sun.

Skoad
05-24-2005, 02:19 AM
both guns will shoot as good as anything. ION will of course be faster. I just depends on which one you think you'll like more. I don't know why people put up these kind of threads, if you want a lower price gun get the ion....if you just really like the tac one and don't mind spending the $ get it.

bit-wizard
05-24-2005, 07:14 AM
If you play scenarios or "big games", being all mechanical is a BIG PLUS. A big game we played at recently was a 26 hour long game, and it rained for about 1/2 of the time. My wifes electro lasted 10 minutes before it got wet and refused to function correctly. Fortunately, one of our teammates had a mech marker that she could borrow. If you may be playing in rain, all mechanical is a plus. :spit_take

JMAN
05-24-2005, 12:32 PM
I've decided to buy the Paradigm and will likely order tonight or tomorrow, after Rogue responds to questions in a PM.

My last question for now what hopper would be recommended for a heavy woodsballer? I was thinking of going with a Ricochet Apache (where is a good place to buy one), what feedrate should I aim for. Is the hopper overkill or just right, also I'm trying to go for the lightest setup possible.

peewee
05-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Ricochete will work great ( that's what I use & I love it). Good to hear your coming into the mag family.

JMAN
05-24-2005, 02:15 PM
Ricochete will work great ( that's what I use & I love it). Good to hear your coming into the mag family.

Will a Ricochet 2k be enough for a Paradigm, or should I spring for a Apache. Also how's the Halo TSA Frontman LCD?

Thanks for the welcome.

ColdFuzion
05-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Any hopper will cover you, thanks to Lvl 10! I had a RT ULE Custom setup. I posted it on PBN on Sunday, sold in like an hour... I'm shipping it out tomorrow :( ... But, guess what I got!!?? (You guys are going to kick me between the legs) An ION!!! Haha. I put the leftover $175 into some nice ups... It'll be here tomorrow or Thursday, I'll make you all (not) jealous with pics of it.

-Cold

atm743
05-24-2005, 02:34 PM
well i would bould a rt mag.

then if you want an ion get it later

they go for about 250 on e-bay

im tring to sell my mech mag i made for an ion and use the rest of the $$ for a classic mag or save up to get a sydarm

but all on your tastes.

if you like E guns get an ion

if you like mags for their reliability and great shooting and all the good stuff get that :D

really i would jest get both but jest build the mag first then buy an ion

JMAN
05-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Placed an order today for a Black Paradigm, ULT Trigger Kit, and SubZero Feedneck. Should be joining the family in a week or two.

bit-wizard
05-24-2005, 04:23 PM
888paintball.com has Ricochet AK's for about $34. I've never found them cheaper elsewhere.

barone
05-24-2005, 07:19 PM
i have a tac-one and it shoots great. the trigger pull is 15 ounces, u have to get the ule trigger pull kit to make it 15 ounces. also it not electro and shoots fast, and this is a reliable gun.it comes with alot of upgrades like the x valve, level 10 bolt,intellgent frame, and other stuff. i would go with that tac-one, and there is alot of other upgrades for it made by other companys.